Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
I like that all the racist rear end in a top hat shitposters have come out of the woodwork in this thread, with their sad and angry responses trying to show they don't care while simultaneously being very upset.

Maybe America should overhaul it's education system so that a) individual states aren't twisting events to serve their political views, b) ridiculous myths about the history of America stop spreading around, and c) so that your country can stop tearing itself apart from a Clash of the ignoramuses

See I think we should just ban thoughts and work in a perfectly harmonious hive but some people think that's "inhumane" but if it's so inhumane why do bugs do it huh??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

jBrereton posted:

They should rename it the General Sherman, imo.

Yeah, that would have been funnier than General Grant

dammit! If you preview your post, it loses the attachment

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Axolotl posted:

Yeah, that would have been funnier than General Grant

dammit! If you preview your post, it loses the attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also literally every white settler nation was founded on the racist cultural destruction of the native peoples at best, with attempted genocide at worst. Did you know natives in Canada couldn't vote until the 70s? And yet these native groups were surprisingly supportive in fighting for the crown during WWI and WWII but all that white people talk about is how throwing some money at the bands is the best way to make up for generational trauma.

AND HOW THEY DONT DESERVE IT ANYWAY THE FREEBOOTERS

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ninotoreS posted:

Abe Lincoln was prominently anti-slavery. As a senator, he had severely opposed it being legalized in the territories, and he openly allied with abolitionists in the Republican party after the Whig party died.

A month after he was elected to president, in direct response South Carolina began openly threatening secession. A month after that, half a dozen other slave states joined in. When Lincoln officially took office in March, Fort Sumter was attacked in April. These are just facts.
I'm reading Battle Cry of Freedom and there's a moment before Lincoln's election when the Democrat-appointed War Minister (the Secretary of Defense today) wanted to move hundreds of cannons from the North to the South because he knew what was coming and prepared to jump ship.

Congress blocked him from doing it though

I was like hooooly poo poo

but yeah you're right, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The south should have been allowed to secede imo

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
lmbo all you pasty nerds getting upset at hillbillies and their flag

youre both fags

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bacon Hat posted:

states rights lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Want to read an alt history book wherr the League of Nations forms early and sends in peacekeeprrs so the civil war never concludes but instead festers for years

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm reading Battle Cry of Freedom and there's a moment before Lincoln's election when the Democrat-appointed War Minister (the Secretary of Defense today) wanted to move hundreds of cannons from the North to the South because he knew what was coming and prepared to jump ship.

Congress blocked him from doing it though

I was like hooooly poo poo

but yeah you're right, too.

History is fun and should be learned.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've learned most of my American history from the Bioshock games and it seems like the truth is in the middle??

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Eumenides posted:

I've learned most of my American history from the Bioshock games and it seems like the truth is in the middle??

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

burritolingus posted:

History is fun and should be learned.

that's not even the worst of it. to attract the Irish vote in New York the Democrats had a float in one of their parades depicting Seward (I think) fuckin a black lady with big banners about how a vote for the black republicans is a vote for friend of the family EQUALITY and i started laughing because of how ludicrously racist it was.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

The prophecies are being fulfilled.....

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Maldoror posted:

The Civil War was caused be the invention of the cotton gin, which allowed white landowners to start up a plantation with way less slaves so therefore way less money. The big plantations lobbied congress to impose tariffs on the ownership of slaves not because slavery was wrong, but because it cut into their business. This was done after enough smaller plantations were set up in the South that they just refused to pay the tariffs, so the war started.

So the flag isn't really about what everyone thinks it means. Flags are just images and they mean different things to different people over time. Erasing history sets a dangerous precedent.

I don't think the state saying "yeah, we aren't going to fly the flag any more on government properties" or it becoming really taboo "erases history."

Here's why: displaying the Nazi flag in Germany is a crime, it's taboo to display it in basically every country, yet Hitler history is the most popular history there is.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that's true but it'll be pretty lol when the S.C. legislature replaces it with the .... bonnie blue flag.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Eumenides posted:

Also literally every white settler nation was founded on the racist cultural destruction of the native peoples at best, with attempted genocide at worst. Did you know natives in Canada couldn't vote until the 70s? And yet these native groups were surprisingly supportive in fighting for the crown during WWI and WWII but all that white people talk about is how throwing some money at the bands is the best way to make up for generational trauma.

AND HOW THEY DONT DESERVE IT ANYWAY THE FREEBOOTERS
The First Nations population does not typically see The Crown and The Canadian Government in the same light, hth.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
kids love dressing up as hitler because it is verboten.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Mad Max interceptor was a better car

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

The First Nations population does not typically see The Crown and The Canadian Government in the same light, hth.

Well obvi but they still acted in goodwill typically up until the Victorian period and the beginning of the shitshow that was the Riel Rebellion

Plus God drat it if you're gonna put a monarch on a coin and base your entire government around fealty to it then you'd think they'd take that poo poo a bit more seriously

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Eumenides posted:

Well obvi but they still acted in goodwill typically up until the Victorian period
Nobody has a very good horse in the Goodwill In British North America race.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
jesus christ who gives a gently caress about canada.. probably not even canadians

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

gently caress the ROW posted:

jesus christ who gives a gently caress about canada.. probably not even canadians

Who gives a gently caress about the ROW huh??

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Didn't just as many injustices and cruelties happen under the British flag

Arguing about flags is stupid, argue about Star Trek instead

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Eumenides posted:

Who gives a gently caress about the ROW huh??

I say gently caress the ROW, and you as well, friendo

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol i think its dumb but its similar to germany's own stance on the nazi flag so ... this isnt unprecedented

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Prorat posted:

Be real, people against this flag want it banned from being flow or being sold completely.

Totally false. I strongly support free speech and the right of non-government institutions and people to manufacture, own, sell, buy, and display the flag. I just don't want any governments, federal, state, or local, to be complicit.

Every other non-idiot I've met agrees that this is a reasonable stance on the issue.

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 6, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

The liberals have conspired with the islamist extremists and first they came for the Dukes, and next thing you know your wife is going to be forced to wear a burka and your kids will read the Communist Manifesto in elementary school

you can tell thats a troll because Kevin Underwood is that one sort-of-goon who chopped up and tried to eat some 9 year old girl http://downloads.newsok.com/documents/Underwoodvideotapetranscript.pdf

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Amarcarts posted:

Totally false. I strongly support free speech and the right of non-government institutions and people to manufacture, own, sell, buy, and display the flag. I just don't want any governments, federal, state, or local, to be complicit.

what you want is not what every one wants, but you are completely reasonable and this is how it should have always been.
*and obviously it's a non issue what retailers decide to do

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Has anyone made the incredibly insightful point that the political parties were different back then as if that has any impact on what it means to be a democrat or republican in 2015 yet.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Ramsus posted:

yes the portland metro area of oregon, i twirl my ironic mustache in delight

"When Oregon was granted statehood in 1859, it was the only state in the Union admitted with a constitution that forbade black people from living, working, or owning property there. It was illegal for black people even to move to the state until 1926. Oregon's founding is part of the forgotten history of racism in the American west."

Oregon was founded as a racist utopia

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

akasnowmaaan posted:

"When Oregon was granted statehood in 1859, it was the only state in the Union admitted with a constitution that forbade black people from living, working, or owning property there. It was illegal for black people even to move to the state until 1926. Oregon's founding is part of the forgotten history of racism in the American west."

Oregon was founded as a racist utopia

Oregon is the shame of the west coast. I think people only stop there when they forget to buy gas before crossing the border. People there are too stupid to pump their own gas too so you have to let some pasty nerd take an extra 10 minutes trying to figure out how to unscrew the gascap before you can fill up and get the gently caress out of there.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 6, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Oregon: 'Taint California, 'Taint Washington, Just 'Taint.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
can't we just let go of our terrible racist past and focus on our terrible racist present

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

can't we just let go of our terrible racist past and focus on our terrible racist present
Can't we just return our terrible racist present for store credit

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Can't we just return our terrible racist present for store credit

terrible racist store credit, at the terrible racist present store.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Burnout Paradise had a Cavalry made the color of the General Lee but with a Mexican flag on top.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I would just like to pop in to suggest or second that the ol' General Lee needs to repainted a darker blue than the Grant and named the General Sherman.

It also needs flames along the sides.

Better than this just being more stupid flailing at bad flag by far.

War is hell.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
burn south

repopulate with carpetbaggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Eumenides posted:

I like that all the racist rear end in a top hat shitposters have come out of the woodwork in this thread, with their sad and angry responses trying to show they don't care while simultaneously being very upset.

Maybe America should overhaul it's education system so that a) individual states aren't twisting events to serve their political views, b) ridiculous myths about the history of America stop spreading around, and c) so that your country can stop tearing itself apart from a Clash of the ignoramuses

See I think we should just ban thoughts and work in a perfectly harmonious hive but some people think that's "inhumane" but if it's so inhumane why do bugs do it huh??

more advice from some foreign know it all

suck it chump

• Locked thread