Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwerinty

by zen death robot
bog pixie's excellent computers have imaginations now thread reminded me of this subject I was reading about a few weeks ago, so I thought it'd be kinda cool to look for it in my life. These are a few I've noticed around my own apt, and I figured I'd make a thread about it. I think on my next day off I'll take my camera with me and see if there's anything else I notice offhand. For best results with this thread, if you don't know what pareidolia is, don't look it up and just look at the images for awhile, I'll explain at the end.

wood is rife with this phenomenon

i tried to center it

giraffe

Pareidolia is where you recognizable patterns emerge from seemingly random patterns by a person's perspective. Some people think it's just faces, but it extends to basically anything, including aural. I think it's really interesting, because there are some famous ones, like the rabbit in the moon, that a huge amount of people perceive, but many others don't, and some people get it with almost everything, and no one else really sees or hears what that person does. I think it'd be cool if people have noticed this, and decide to post their own examples they've already noticed in their daily life, or not, I'm not your boss. It's summer anyways, you should be outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

whoa

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

treasure bear

i want to kiss all the little faces i see

with permission of course

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
this is actually pretty interesting... i remember sitting on a bus a few years ago and just looking at the patterns in the seat in front of me and noticing animals

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
One thing that I do is I lay on my back and stare at my ceiling. It's the type of ceiling that has all those little bumps. I don't really focus on anything in particular, but you start to see the ceiling morph and warp itself. At first you see a whole bunch of random dots, but then you start to see shapes within those random dots, but, if you look long enough, your brain duplicates a certain area of the ceiling to cover the entire thing. If you close your eyes or look away and then back again you just get the original random dots.

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
Another weird thing to do is to look at something with a lattice structure, like a screen door. Then, focus your eyes in front of or behind it, so that you have the dual vision thing going on. Then align the two lattices so that they line up, but are one column or one row over, then try to focus back on the lattice, your brain gets really confused and it's weird. For like a few seconds you can't really focus on anything and you have no idea how far away the lattice is.

FreshCutFries

human perception is super cool.

what is this, BYOB?

Salmiakki

pareidolia is really cool. bee orchids are an example of animals having it as well

cliff near me casting a shadow that looks like a face

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Thingyman posted:

what is this, BYOB?

ants surrounding a pile of sugar

Salmiakki posted:

pareidolia is really cool. bee orchids are an example of animals having it as well

cliff near me casting a shadow that looks like a face

awesome!

----------------

Salmiakki

now that i look at the pic again it could also be a nude lady

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

joke_explainer

Thingyman posted:

what is this, BYOB?

its a jpg...

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
now that's all I see, which is another interesting part of pareidolia

----------------

treasured8elief

oh wow

landy.

Thingyman posted:

what is this, BYOB?

I think I know the answer, but I'm going to say circle so you can explain it.

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Thingyman posted:

what is this, BYOB?

George foreman

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

well i am a human of course i am and see eyes and dogs everywhere

pig slut lisa

irl is good

Bo-Pepper posted:

lol

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

haha

ty manifisto

alnilam

tiles can be good for this, i see all kinds of animals on the floor while pooping

there was a cool lion i always saw in the floor in my childhood home

poop lion :snoop:

ty manifisto

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Bo-Pepper posted:

Mapparu

is it like this?

alnilam

Mapparu posted:

is it like this?

Skull island!

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Mapparu posted:

is it like this?

Yeah, I see a duck and had to look for the rabbit. It includes seeing a face in office chairs.

Space is full of it too, like the horsehead nebula

I'll take some at work and post later

----------------

ron color
i do this a lot. whatever part of the brain that is, thats me

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
This is on the rock wall along work that I like to lay on

it's a cat

----------------

ulvir

Android Blues

i'm really curious about what the dot circle is or means, now

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Mapparu posted:

is it like this?

strange dog

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

how big is the living room?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
it's been awhile since i've used my tablet and i wanted to draw a simple animation interpretation of two entries and so i did

----------------

• Locked thread