Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hjalmar posted:

Besides that, there are no good generic lv9 synchro monsters.

Cloudcastle and Giganticastle are okay. Mist Wurm is still amazing. Trishula is just as godly as it ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
A new Kozmo monster has been revealed! http://ygorganization.com/wandaisthatyou/

quote:

Kozmo Goodwitch
Level 4 LIGHT Psychic-Type Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 1000
During either player’s turn: You can banish this card; Special Summon 1 Level 5 or higher “Kozmo” monster from your hand. You can only use this effect of “Kozmo Goodwitch” once per turn. You can pay 500 LP, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change it to face-down Defense Position.
The effects look pretty interesting so far, being able to recycle the witch with the field spell for level 5+ kozmo monsters sounds like fun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In order:
Needs L9s to work well, not much more than a wall, doesnt work on Ranks.
Good beater (min 3100, max 3700) but shite at everything else.
Mist Wurm needs setup or a flexible synchro deck but still is unparalled at the bounce game, imo a bit much investment for an on summon effect, and you really arent in a position to summon it most of the time unless synchro is the core strategy.
Trish is still banned on the TCG.

E: STAR WOZ.
GET HYPE.

(Why yes I do think thats the pun theyre going for)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Quincytbb posted:

A new Kozmo monster has been revealed! http://ygorganization.com/wandaisthatyou/

The effects look pretty interesting so far, being able to recycle the witch with the field spell for level 5+ kozmo monsters sounds like fun.

Well that confirms it: it's the Oz archetype. I dig the Star Wars/Fae look.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

genericsynchro.dec took a lot of killing, I can see why they're reluctant to bring it back.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

genericsynchro.dec took a lot of killing, I can see why they're reluctant to bring it back.

I don't know if that was really a thing it was more that everyone played similar synchro chains regardless of whether they were playing plants/synchrons/teleDAD/lightsworn.

I hope you like 4+plaguespreader into brionac or some other chain into dsf/brd or another chain into whatever my tribe-unique synchro boss is.

(Daigusto Sphreez best boss synchro).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 14, 2015

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Even if we got Trishula back, Accel Synchron still summons it easier than Stardust Assault Warrior. Likewise with Mist Wurm.

I've kind of accepted that Synchro will never toolbox as well as Xyz does, but it's a lot more fun to pull off combo chains that go through half of my deck than it is to just summon 3 monsters -> cyber dragon infinity. We could use a couple more generic support cards, like a Synchro version of Lavalval Chain or something that hits backrow, but that's about it.

Now, having said all that, if we got Stardust Assault Warrior with its original effect then it would be incredible.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So, my second-favorite monster type (Psychics) is getting a badass new archetype, with this guy as a (generic!) boss monster.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Psy-Frame_Lord_Zeta

If you love Synchros and want to gently caress over Xyz players, Lord Zeta is the card for you!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You've got a softlock for Speedroids with that card and Synchro Dragon.

EDIT: :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQob4KbVTU

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 15, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zoness posted:

(Daigusto Sphreez best boss synchro).

:yeah:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xoidanor posted:

You've got a softlock for Speedroids with that card and Synchro Dragon.

EDIT: :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQob4KbVTU

That line of Red Demon's. So beautiful. I don't think I've seen something as beautiful before.

The king would be proud.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So I haven't played this game since high school. I was wondering how awful my old Dragons decks are now and if anyone had any suggestions for improvement (without completely destroying the themes).

Monsters
Armed Dragon LV 3 x3
Armed Dragon LV 5 x3
Armed Dragon LV 7 x3
Armed Dragon LV 10 x3
Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV 4 x3
Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV 6 x3
Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV 8 x3

Spells
Dark World Dealings x2
Dark World Lightning x1
LightningVortex x2
Swords of Revealing Light x2
Stamping Destruction x3
Level Up x3
Level Modulation x3

Traps
Royal Decree x2

-

Monsters
Armed Dragon LV 3 x3
Armed Dragon LV 5 x3
Armed Dragon LV 7 x2
Armed Dragon LV 10 x1
REB Chick x1
REB Wyvern x2
REBD x2
RE Darkness Dragon x1
RE Darkness Metal Dragon x1
Exploder Dragon x3
Masked Dragon x3
Lord of D. x1
Luster Dragon x2
Dragon Dwelling in the Cave x3

Spells
Swords of Revealing Light x2
Stamping Destruction x3
Flute of Summoning D. x1
Monster Reborn x1 (that's banned again, isn't it?)
Mystical Space Typhoon x1

Traps
Trap Hole x2
Curse of Anubis x1
Ceasefire x1

So yeah, this existed before XYZs were more than a couple of specific cards and prior to Synchro summoning being a thing at all. I expect they're terrible.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The first thing I noticed was your lack of staples. Staples include cards like Dark Hole, Raigeki, Mystical Space Typhoon, Bottomless Trap Hole and some other stuff I've probably forgotten.

Also, you've got way too many high level monsters in the first deck. You only really need a single copy of the L7's, L10's and Horus L8. Aside from that, I don't mess around with dragons.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?
We know three psyframe cards. All we need is a good one for alpha to add that lets you synchro during your opponent's turn, and you've got a great disruption engine.
You also only have to run one driver, since alpha can SS it from anywhere.
Psychics are loving cool and I want more of them.

Also, psyframes introduce the first completely normal monster psychic. Risebell was the first psychic normal monster, but he was also a pendulum. Really wish there was a psychic pendulum tuner that could only be used as material if the others were psychics.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Adder Moray posted:

So I haven't played this game since high school. I was wondering how awful my old Dragons decks are now and if anyone had any suggestions for improvement (without completely destroying the themes).

So yeah, this existed before XYZs were more than a couple of specific cards and prior to Synchro summoning being a thing at all. I expect they're terrible.

No offense but they probably weren't that good at the time, a little unbalanced for a level up deck. And I know Heavy Storm/Dark Hole/Giant Trunade were legal at the time. No one will blame you for not running Cold Wave since it took forever for people to realize Cold Wave was good.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Onmi posted:

No offense but they probably weren't that good at the time, a little unbalanced for a level up deck. And I know Heavy Storm/Dark Hole/Giant Trunade were legal at the time. No one will blame you for not running Cold Wave since it took forever for people to realize Cold Wave was good.

I didn't expect they were all that great even way back when. Was always a kitchen table YGO player that happened to (save for the cyber jar deck) watch the banlist

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I am so loving hyped for PSYFrames. You guys don't even know.

Do you want to know how awesome PSYFrame Driver is? Do you?

He's essentially a Psychic-type Summoned Skull, which is awesome enough. He gets all his archetype support, which is looking pretty good already. He's also a LIGHT monster, so he's good for Chaos stuff and works with Honest. Oh, and he has 0 Defense and is a Normal monster, so he works with Box of Friends and Masked Chameleon if you want to try goofy plays like that. For a Normal monster, he's REALLY drat good.

I can't wait to see what else the archetype gives us. So excited.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Adder Moray posted:

I didn't expect they were all that great even way back when. Was always a kitchen table YGO player that happened to (save for the cyber jar deck) watch the banlist

That's fair, if we can do anything to help you get adjusted let us know.

Dexie posted:

I am so loving hyped for PSYFrames. You guys don't even know.

Do you want to know how awesome PSYFrame Driver is? Do you?

He's essentially a Psychic-type Summoned Skull, which is awesome enough. He gets all his archetype support, which is looking pretty good already. He's also a LIGHT monster, so he's good for Chaos stuff and works with Honest. Oh, and he has 0 Defense and is a Normal monster, so he works with Box of Friends and Masked Chameleon if you want to try goofy plays like that. For a Normal monster, he's REALLY drat good.

I can't wait to see what else the archetype gives us. So excited.

It does look pretty sweet.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Onmi posted:

That's fair, if we can do anything to help you get adjusted let us know.

Much appreciated. I've always liked YGO dragons mainly because they were fun to build around. Having said that, I'm less concerned with what's good to add (though suggestions are always appreciated) and more concerned with what I'm rocking that's utter poo poo. Primarily in the 2nd deck, since that's the one that tended to function on any level beyond "fun gimmick."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

Much appreciated. I've always liked YGO dragons mainly because they were fun to build around. Having said that, I'm less concerned with what's good to add (though suggestions are always appreciated) and more concerned with what I'm rocking that's utter poo poo. Primarily in the 2nd deck, since that's the one that tended to function on any level beyond "fun gimmick."

well it's hard to say, support for Red Eyes has improved so exponetially, using Chick or Darkness hurts you a lot. Swapping out your old cards to staples such as Bottomless Trap Hole, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Dark Hole, Raigeki, Dragon Ravine. Dragons in general have a lot of support.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

Man. You like YGO Dragons? You seriously just missed out. You should have been around like, two years again. For almost two years straight, the game was ruled by an archetype called Dragon Rulers.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ruler

They were completely insane and basically wrecked the game. Konami finally had to ban all of them on the most recent banlist to kill them off for good.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

:eng101: Technically dragon rulers were a series, not an archetype.

E-Drags were some of the best attribute support around. If your deck wanted poo poo in grave, you stuck in some of your attribute e-drags for their discard effect. You wanted to banish your poo poo, e-drags.
The only problem was, e-drags were better support for themselves than for anything else. They searched themselves, they summoned themselves, they did stupid poo poo from hand, they were the nuts. I miss them more than you can imagine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lisandra_brave posted:

:eng101: Technically dragon rulers were a series, not an archetype.

E-Drags were some of the best attribute support around. If your deck wanted poo poo in grave, you stuck in some of your attribute e-drags for their discard effect. You wanted to banish your poo poo, e-drags.
The only problem was, e-drags were better support for themselves than for anything else. They searched themselves, they summoned themselves, they did stupid poo poo from hand, they were the nuts. I miss them more than you can imagine.

You miss unbanned Inzektors you are NOT an authority on what should come back.

I do want to highlight the Hilarity of the Rulers though. Essentially this isn't the first time Konami has done a banlist with an absurdly top deck that everyone ran. It's happened in the past. It's just Konami usually just bans a few key cards or limits a few others, then the next broken set comes out and the cycle repeats.

Konami made the rulers too good. So when they did their bans and the next tournaments came back, Rulers were still at the top, over and over, it didn't matter how they tried to ban them without just flat out saying "No Dragon Rulers anymore" it wouldn't work. They were an intrinsic core of nearly every deck, even the non-ruler ones for Lis's point that they were Attribute support as well. No cards that countered them were consistent enough to counter them. Konami finally had to just nut up and ban all of the adult Rulers (Unbanning the baby rulers, who were useless without the adults) so the meta could move on.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I always found E-Dragons to be fine at one. Great for support, but not enough to go ham on their own. They also allowed for some cool Rank 7 plays.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Dexie posted:

Man. You like YGO Dragons? You seriously just missed out. You should have been around like, two years again. For almost two years straight, the game was ruled by an archetype called Dragon Rulers.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ruler

They were completely insane and basically wrecked the game. Konami finally had to ban all of them on the most recent banlist to kill them off for good.

But where's the fun if it's really good out of the box? (To borrow some MtG terminology, I'm a Johnny 4 Lyfe)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

But where's the fun if it's really good out of the box? (To borrow some MtG terminology, I'm a Johnny 4 Lyfe)

The deck was eventually cut down by Konami to where you could only play one of each of the 'adult' dragons.

There were lots, and lots, and lots of variants of Dragon Ruler decks that found different ways to use them. Chaos variants, Lightsworn variants, Synchro and Xyz variants...

They were overpowered as gently caress, but people still kept finding new and unusual ways to use them.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

To give you some idea, this was actually consistent, and could plonk down poo poo every turn. It's nothing but 55 dragons.

I miss e-drags so much.

e: Actually, this one was never legal. Dank matter didn't come out till long after e-drags were at 1.

Lisandra_brave fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 15, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah bring back e-drags at one for lightsworn rulers :getin:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 15, 2015

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

That, but unironically. :unsmigghh:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cabinet posted:

That, but unironically. :unsmigghh:

There's no irony in my post just love for lightsworns

(and Tempest in Gustos)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zoness posted:

Yeah bring back e-drags at one for lightsworn rulers :getin:.

That can't happen as long as Dark Matter Dragon is around.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Zoness posted:

There's no irony in my post just love for lightsworns

(and Tempest in Gustos)

Lightsworns were one of the first decks I played around with along with Chaos Dragons. They hold a special place in my heart.

Speaking of decks I used to use, are Dragunities back to being workable now that Ravine is at 1 and with their new support? I'd love to give them a go again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress Lightsworns

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Lightsworns are great because milling yourself is the best thing in any card game.

I say this as an unrepentant dredge player in magic.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If it wasn't for Judgement Dragon, I would have no issue with Lightsworn. But unfortunatley Judgement Dragon exists, so :

Beef Chief posted:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

Thirding this.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Lightsworns are great.

But more important than that is the fact that
DOCS JUST DROPPED

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Kinkyuu Gishiki Jutsu Urgent Ritual Art
Normal Trap Card
(1) If you control no Ritual Monsters: You can banish 1 Ritual Spell Card from your hand or Graveyard; this card’s effect is the same as that Ritual Spell Card when it is activated for a Ritual Summon.

Man this seems flashy but being a gishki card and not a nekroz card seems to make it worse.

Unless gishkis are secretly back somehow?

That said i don't know what this does in practice but nekroz cycle out of the graveyard seems neat.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 15, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gishiki is Japanese for Ritual.

Also sites down it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer