Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I really like it! The sets are amazing. It's probably the most tense sci-fi horror since Alien and with the exception of Comic Relief Cooper the casting was really well done and well acted.

Also there was an Earthquake about 75km out to sea from Tonga just then and there might be a tsunami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

agreed op its a good example of a sci fi horror film but the twist is a bit dumb

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, its a good Sci-fi horror flick and the uncut scenes make it even better.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Twists are always a bit dumb but in this case it was a pretty well done twist. Also seriously a big rear end earthquake. There may be death waves trying to kill people right now.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you like Event Horizon you should like other good scifi horror like The Thing

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The recent Pandorum is ok too. I mean its dumb as gently caress but its a decent scifi horror

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

a creepy colon posted:

If you like Event Horizon you should like other good scifi horror like The Thing

I do, and Pandorum! I haven't given the The Thing remake a watch though. I don't really see the point unless it's better and from what I hear it's just a shot for shot remake with modern (worse) special effects.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
where this thread is going we don't need eyes to shitpost

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

a creepy colon posted:

The Thing rules hardcore.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

I would like to use this opportunity to mention From Beyond.

From Beyond!

Is it good?

Yes it is!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

blainestereo posted:

I would like to use this opportunity to mention From Beyond.

From Beyond!

Is it good?

Yes it is!

Dr. Crawford Tillinghast...Alright I'm sold.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh it's Lovecraft! Looking forward to some indescribable, non-elucidian, cyclopedean scares!

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I went to see it at the cinema when I was 17 and it was loving terrifying.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Its a fun movie with cool spaceships and space satan. I want more movies with space satan.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

InterFaced posted:

Its a fun movie with cool spaceships and space satan. I want more movies with space satan.

Rock, paper, scissors you for the right to that user name.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
How come movie portals never lead to dimensions of pure niceness, full of fluffy bunnies and dandelions?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Because movies are a reflection of reality. Have you ever been through a portal that didn't lead to a nightmare dimension?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
It's cool to have a horror movie once in a while where everyone quickly realises that staying in the haunted house is dumb and that they should leave as quickly as possible. The crew of the Lewis and Clark really seem to have their heads screwed on as far as that goes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Agreed. They still had to do the "the scientist is a misguided fool leading us all to doom" thing though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
way better than the other space hellraiser movie

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
event horizon was actualy a sequel to the decomposing bath woman scene in the shining but in space obviously

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
sunshine was good too just not as good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad they made movie blind people can watch.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Know what else was good?

Heat

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's a lot of good things huh? I'm watching From Beyond now. I may need to check back in from time to time if I get too scared and need some comfort.

E: I must be getting really good at watching movies because it's like a minute in and I'm pretty sure John Carpenter directed it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
its p good at best but it is entertaining

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I saw it when I was like 11 or 12 and it drat near spooked my little weiner right off

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I watched it after a tray of edibles and had to ride a motorbike home through a downpour at 1am and it felt properly scary and poo poo

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There's a lot of good things huh? I'm watching From Beyond now.
E: I must be getting really good at watching movies because it's like a minute in and I'm pretty sure John Carpenter directed it.

Uh, you mean when "directed by Stuart Gordon" comes on screen?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Event Horizon is a legit awesome movie. Sure, it's a dumb slasher flick in space but it never pretended to be anything else, unlike Sunshine, which decided to become a slasher flick in space right at the last act.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

JohnnySavs posted:

Uh, you mean when "directed by Stuart Gordon" comes on screen?

lol no i didn't see that the opening credits on this version dont start until just now. Exactly the kind of thing Carpenter would direct though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chicken Butt posted:

How come movie portals never lead to dimensions of pure niceness, full of fluffy bunnies and dandelions?

well there was The Secret Garden but i wouldn't blame you for not watching that poo poo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
theres often a pursuer but movies that play on fear of hell are probably closer to whatever the torture/exploitation genre is than slasher

genre founded on catholic history and mythology is hardcore sick

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
im the black guy that gets blown out into space but somehow creates enough delta v with his o2 tank to come back

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flashy_mcflash posted:

well there was The Secret Garden but i wouldn't blame you for not watching that poo poo

The secret garden I watched was about a lady's private parts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought Event Horizon was really bad, hth OP

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i watched the cement garden which was about a brother sister teen incestual relationship after the mom dies

its my secret

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Body horror movies? From Beyond, The Reanimator, Society, Videodrome, The Fly, The Thing. Maybe Hellraiser fits in here somewhere.

Not body horror, but I really like John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

The guy who directed From Beyond also did Robot Jox.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 6, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

tomstuart posted:

im the black guy that gets blown out into space but somehow creates enough delta v with his o2 tank to come back

in a movie about a haunted space ship that goes to space hell, this is the bee in your bonnet

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Not body horror, but I really like John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

well there's the whole bit about the woman who has satan water swarming up into her nose and eyes and mouth and vagina and butthole and making her skin liquefy and fall off and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Flesh Forge posted:

in a movie about a haunted space ship that goes to space hell, this is the bee in your bonnet
this also happened in Jason X it seems to be a common thing in space slasher films.

• Locked thread