Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Not sure if you answered this yet or not (I don't think you have): did any of the drones you assisted with ever have the capability to carry weapons?

It was answered. Phoneposting so find it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Do you know anything about the persecution of christians in eastern ukraine?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, so many post calling ol dude a war criminal baby eating Putin stooge. You guys got anything to gain from that?

OP: Since you made the comparison between your rank and US Armed Forces Staff Sergeant, do you supervise or command any junior enlisted? Hows the training and recruiting pipeline?

Like if someone native to Novorossia wanted to start fighting, how do they get in?

OPSEC permitting.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

sullat posted:

What's your beef with the Cossacks? I thought they were pretty much native Ukranians?

Also, how do you become a lawyer in Russia? What about Novorussia? How's the job market there for lawyers?

Cossack is not an ethnicity per se. Cossack was a designation for someone who guarded the borders of the empire. I have cossack roots, half of my team does. Do we call ourselves cossacks? No, because we're not guarding the borders. Those dressed up assholes who DO call themselves such are amoral, brainless twats who terrorize the local population, do not fight anyone armed, and instead prefer to steal poo poo from locals and terrorize the population. There is not a SINGLE cossack battalion that stood and fought their ground in defense, not a single one who went on the offensive , not a single one who'd mount the frontlines. They prefer to sit deep behind where nothing can hurt em, play dress-up with their uniforms and guns, jack cars from everyone they can. Most cossacks have been disarmed or destroyed for loving up too much, thankfully. Few remains and they're quiet for now.

The law system in US and Russia is quite diffrent. Anyone can practice law and represent people in court - to get advocate(lawyer) privileges, you have to work as a urist for two years, then pass the bar. There's currently little demand for lawyers in the republics, - even though the court system is functional and quite loaded, people prefer to represent themselves despite... not knowing how it works at all. You could get a job and it' probably make a bit more than an average civilian makes simply from representing people in court.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Not sure if you answered this yet or not (I don't think you have): did any of the drones you assisted with ever have the capability to carry weapons?
There is not much sense in doing that - easier to just call in and coordinate artillery.

Michael Jackson posted:

Do you know anything about the persecution of christians in eastern ukraine?

Nnnno? I hear there was some beef between the Ukrainian and Russian churches patriarchates or something?

KirbyKhan posted:

Man, so many post calling ol dude a war criminal baby eating Putin stooge. You guys got anything to gain from that?

OP: Since you made the comparison between your rank and US Armed Forces Staff Sergeant, do you supervise or command any junior enlisted? Hows the training and recruiting pipeline?

Like if someone native to Novorossia wanted to start fighting, how do they get in?

OPSEC permitting.
Since I was in a technical unit that required certain skillsets and mindset to work in, there wasnt much done according to the code or whatever it's called in english. Fraternization, friendship, blabla. I got used to commanding privates when assigned to other battalions, though.

If anyone wants to join the NAF they either write to Voencomat(Military commissariat) by email, where they get a date/time they should be in Novorossiya voencomat physically, along with advice on what to bring, buy themselves as you cant get that stuff here, etc. Then they get assigned to the training center, undergo basic 1-2 week training and then get assigned a specialty and battalion. Currently, only people with a prior military service are taken. I've been to a couple of those centers and they're pretty good.

HoratioRash fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 25, 2015

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

HoratioRash posted:

Nnnno? I hear there was some beef between the Ukrainian and Russian churches patriarchates or something?

I asked because of the zealous fervor of Russian-ortodox local militia/armed groups have driven them to mistreat Jehovah's Witnesses in eastern ukraine.

edit: russia custom officials have blocked the import of their literature and banned their website so it looks like humans rights are regressing in that part of the world.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 25, 2015

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

HoratioRash posted:

Cossack is not an ethnicity per se. Cossack was a designation for someone who guarded the borders of the empire. I have cossack roots, half of my team does. Do we call ourselves cossacks? No, because we're not guarding the borders. Those dressed up assholes who DO call themselves such are amoral, brainless twats who terrorize the local population, do not fight anyone armed, and instead prefer to steal poo poo from locals and terrorize the population. There is not a SINGLE cossack battalion that stood and fought their ground in defense, not a single one who went on the offensive , not a single one who'd mount the frontlines. They prefer to sit deep behind where nothing can hurt em, play dress-up with their uniforms and guns, jack cars from everyone they can. Most cossacks have been disarmed or destroyed for loving up too much, thankfully. Few remains and they're quiet for now.

Cossacks are an ethnicity recognized by the Russian government. Per se.

How do you feel about the racism exhibited at Russian football matches? Do you believe it to be endemic to Russian society?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lightpole posted:

How do you feel about the racism exhibited at Russian football matches? Do you believe it to be endemic to Russian society?
Is there a European nation that doesn't have problems with rampant racism presented through football pageantry?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Is there a European nation that doesn't have problems with rampant racism presented through football pageantry?
Latvia, we use hockey for that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

steinrokkan posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/25/racism-row-russia-world-cup-draw

Now read through what I quoted and replace Cossacks with a different ethnic group. African Americans or Latinos.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

steinrokkan posted:

Er, yes. At least many European countries don't have certified neo-nazi hooligan firms, nor do they hold tournaments where hooligan crews compete for trophies and poo poo. Russian and Poland are a whole other league compared to most European football violence issues.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

OP, can I ask your opinion on Yanukovych? You mentioned Euromaidan several times and how it turned violent, but the outcome of the protests seem very much a product of the government. From my understanding, the violent crackdown on demonstrators on 30 November and 11 December turned a pro-European Union movement into an anti-Yanukovych revolution.

I've also heard a lot of coverage recently about life in Donetsk and other eastern cities in Ukraine. Most of this coverage centers on how very few people in these rebel-held cities want separation from Ukraine, or the obliteration of the Ukrainian language and culture by separatists. Can you comment on either of these issues.

I would also appreciate your thoughts on Putin's opposition. Do you feel that the Russian government's recent actions in Crimea have squandered the potential for greater cooperation in the near abroad? Do you understand why some countries in Eastern Europe distrust the Russian government?

I suspect that I strongly disagree with you on most everything, but appreciate you taking the time to answer questions.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 26, 2015

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
OP, do you know who else attempted to annex a sovereign neighbor under the guise of re-uniting ethnic and linguistic minorities with their mother country?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lawnie posted:

OP, do you know who else attempted to annex a sovereign neighbor under the guise of re-uniting ethnic and linguistic minorities with their mother country?

James Madison?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

James Madison?

Clever boy.

I'll admit to putting myself in check there.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

James Madison?

It's a bit different subjugating savages than it is an actual developed culture, I'd say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

It's a bit different subjugating savages than it is an actual developed culture, I'd say.

You don't have a sense of humor and are also apparently an rear end in a top hat. Or maybe you aren't, and you just make bad jokes. American nationalism is still nationalism and it doesn't do anybody any good to whitewash our history.

Madison annexed territory that wasn't his to annex, yes. He also wrote the Bill of Rights.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

You don't have a sense of humor and are also apparently an rear end in a top hat. Or maybe you aren't, and you just make bad jokes. American nationalism is still nationalism and it doesn't do anybody any good to whitewash our history.

Madison annexed territory that wasn't his to annex, yes. He also wrote the Bill of Rights.

You sound very butthurt over the plight of the red man. Maybe you should go on a letter writing campaign.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So reading over the first page, OP never answered how Ukrainians are the occupying force when they're in their own country.

Did he ever answer that?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
is a strange trick

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

OP, have you seen this?

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
OP are you more ashamed of being responsible for baby murders or being in TEST alliance?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

OP, could you make your suicide method more unique so if the unthinkable were to happen we would hear about it please? How do you feel about a suicide vest filled with fireworks?

kedo posted:

Are you getting a lot of sex, OP? If so, with who/what?

Seconding this also, what are the propects like for a young novorussian man on the pull on a friday night?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 28, 2015

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

lightpole posted:

Well, it aint a bloody ethnicity by their very own definition. Those people only claim their ancestry to play dressup with none of the obligation their ancestors had. I have cossack roots, pure ones at that. Am I a cossack? No, because I'm not guarding the loving borders!

Football hooliganism is a problem in all of europe.

QuoProQuid posted:

OP, can I ask your opinion on Yanukovych? You mentioned Euromaidan several times and how it turned violent, but the outcome of the protests seem very much a product of the government. From my understanding, the violent crackdown on demonstrators on 30 November and 11 December turned a pro-European Union movement into an anti-Yanukovych revolution.

I've also heard a lot of coverage recently about life in Donetsk and other eastern cities in Ukraine. Most of this coverage centers on how very few people in these rebel-held cities want separation from Ukraine, or the obliteration of the Ukrainian language and culture by separatists. Can you comment on either of these issues.

I would also appreciate your thoughts on Putin's opposition. Do you feel that the Russian government's recent actions in Crimea have squandered the potential for greater cooperation in the near abroad? Do you understand why some countries in Eastern Europe distrust the Russian government?

I suspect that I strongly disagree with you on most everything, but appreciate you taking the time to answer questions.

Yanik's an idiot. He could have dispersed them so easily when it started... Raid off the instigators and force units. Instead, he tried to draw it out, refusing to escalate. The first violence started by maidan degenerates. Molotovs are not a tool of peace and friendship. Furthermore, Yanik's conveniently agreed to their terms, signing the eu association, withdrawing police, whole one day before the government was deposed. Guess him agreeing wasn't in their plans, huh.

Those are opinionated pieces with no basis in reality other than author's wishes and whatever party line they're drawing right now.

I do not feel we require greater cooperation with european countries anymore. Nor do I feel my country needs trust of european countries, especially that of the baltics.
Current opposition, unfortunately, never got further than "gently caress Putin, he's to blame for everything!". Their whole program is centered around having Putin's out. No real plans for anything else. And it was like that since he's got in power.

GreyPowerVan posted:

So reading over the first page, OP never answered how Ukrainians are the occupying force when they're in their own country.

Did he ever answer that?
Provide more effort when trolling tia. Ukrainian government is illegal, their army is acting on illegal orders in a sovereign state.

Yeah, it's loving hilarious. I remember the original being posted for the first time on some forum as a joke- then someone sent it to multiple TV stations and 1st picked it up without even bothering to apply their brains. It all spun out from there.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HoratioRash posted:

Well, it aint a bloody ethnicity by their very own definition. Those people only claim their ancestry to play dressup with none of the obligation their ancestors had. I have cossack roots, pure ones at that. Am I a cossack? No, because I'm not guarding the loving borders!

Football hooliganism is a problem in all of europe.

Yanik's an idiot. He could have dispersed them so easily when it started... Raid off the instigators and force units. Instead, he tried to draw it out, refusing to escalate. The first violence started by maidan degenerates. Molotovs are not a tool of peace and friendship. Furthermore, Yanik's conveniently agreed to their terms, signing the eu association, withdrawing police, whole one day before the government was deposed. Guess him agreeing wasn't in their plans, huh.

Those are opinionated pieces with no basis in reality other than author's wishes and whatever party line they're drawing right now.

I do not feel we require greater cooperation with european countries anymore. Nor do I feel my country needs trust of european countries, especially that of the baltics.
Current opposition, unfortunately, never got further than "gently caress Putin, he's to blame for everything!". Their whole program is centered around having Putin's out. No real plans for anything else. And it was like that since he's got in power.

Provide more effort when trolling tia. Ukrainian government is illegal, their army is acting on illegal orders in a sovereign state.

Yeah, it's loving hilarious. I remember the original being posted for the first time on some forum as a joke- then someone sent it to multiple TV stations and 1st picked it up without even bothering to apply their brains. It all spun out from there.

:allears:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HoratioRash posted:

lol

It's not the Ukraininans who are illegally in Ukraine. It's the Russian Army that is acting on illegal orders in a sovereign state.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So basically, the problem with yanukovich is that he didn't have enough people shot and ukraine is illegal

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OP making some really good arguments for providing armed support for Ukraine here.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

Friendly Tumour posted:

OP making some really good arguments for providing armed support for Ukraine here.

This would be the best thing to happen for us, yes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Op, who do you mean by "us"? You're Russian national that travelled to Eastern Ukraine with the approval of Russian government to fight in an armed conflict. It's not a civil war for you, unless you were given citizenship of DNR or LNR.
Who provided your gear and trainig? We've got info about training center located in Russia, have you used them? How do you see your status when you're fighting in Eastern Ukraine?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Ah, yes, and I guess the snipers during maidan were planted by CIA to instigate the gay nazis for revolution. And invasion of Chechnya, twice, was totally legal.

Also, how nice, Russia doesn't need the trust of European countries, but will go at length about how threatened it feels by the anti-ballistic shield. I wonder if it's because nukes are the only thing it can realistically threaten NATO with.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

HoratioRash posted:

Here are my opinionated pieces with no basis in reality other than author's wishes and whatever party line I'm drawing right now.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does it at all make you OP wonder about the reasons as to why the separatists/russian narrative for the war finds no traction outside Russia?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

HoratioRash posted:

Pardon..? Yanukovych did try to disperse the protestors, violently and using the Berkut while the movement was still in its nascent stage. His actions only intensified the protests and broadened its base of supporters. The regular crackdowns that occurred afterward only worsened matters. You cite Yanukovych signing the Association Agreement before being deposed as a sign of the movement's illegitimacy, but the protests had long ceased to be about the European Union. By February, the single motivating force behind the Maidan was, "remove this man who is slaughtering our children." He was unpopular before the protests and despised afterward.

Can you point to the "first violence [that was] started by maidan degenerates?"

HoratioRash posted:

If you dislike those articles, how about a poll from the Baltic Surveys/Gallup showing very low support for secession (see page 47)?

How about a study from the Institute of Social Research and Political Analysis that shows 65.7 percent of Dotensk residents favor living in Ukraine?

How about this article, about a poll showing 11.5% of surveyed citizens saying that Donbas should not be part of Ukraine?

HoratioRash posted:

Why should Russia retreat into its hovel and destroy good relations with its neighbors? What benefit can it bring?

HoratioRash posted:

I sadly have to agree with you there. :-(

What would you look for in a counter to Putin? Are there any people in Russia today that you would be willing to support?

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot: Given your reasons for fighting, that the UAF engaged in "systematic torture, mass executions and deliberate war crimes," can I assume that you support Kosovo's independence?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 28, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Wait I missed it. Why is the Ukrainian government illegal?

Also answer my last question, OP.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HoratioRash posted:

Molotovs are not a tool of peace and friendship.

Oh, indeed.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

kedo posted:

Because lol what a low effort troll you are for asking that. Stupid troll.

That's basically the answer we got

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
No wonder it's so easy for Putin to keep his power and popularity even when everything in Russia is so lovely, when all the Russians who haven't emigrated to the West are as big gullible idiots as the op.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
The OP is a good example of just how effective Russian propaganda is. Scary.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kedo posted:

People like the OP believe Yanukovich was forced into exile by a violent mob, which is more convenient than the reality in which he packed his coffers with stolen money and ran away in the middle of transition talks in the Parliament (after he had already made some agreements with the opposition), because his own party disowned him and he was suddenly in danger of being held accountable for the same things he had nailed Timoshenko for, and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Please get shot post haste.

• Locked thread