Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

gnarlyhotep posted:

It's a show that wants to be the modern X-Files or Twilight Zone but is actually long, drawn-out, poorly written sci-fi that drags on for seemigly ever before anything remotely interesting happens

Imagine if Robert Heinlein and Stephen King wrote sci-fi about things they barely understood and were preachy about it

khwarezm posted:

British PM fucks a pig and its broadcast nationwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

It's a show that wants to be the modern X-Files or Twilight Zone but is actually long, drawn-out, poorly written sci-fi that drags on for seemigly ever before anything remotely interesting happens

Imagine if Robert Heinlein and Stephen King wrote sci-fi about things they barely understood and were preachy about it

Charlie Brooker understands technology really well, he even has a Twitter.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

first series is much better than second one but the second is still prtty watchable. gonna watch the christmas special now

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

If that's the only interesting thing about the show they could have made it 5 minutes long and saved a lot of time and money

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

surprise surprise gnarly hates yet another cool thing because hes a jaded old man who should hurry up and pull the trigger on that shotgun poised agaisnt the roof of his mouth

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'd say the first episode is the only one that really provoked uneasy thought or philosophizing in me. the rest of them are way hamhanded and over-wrought to take seriously

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

surprise surprise gnarly hates yet another cool thing because hes a jaded old man who should hurry up and pull the trigger on that shotgun poised agaisnt the roof of his mouth

Sorry, I forgot I'm not allowed to have an opinion, in a thread that is asking my opinion

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Dead Set was good too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Set

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

Sorry, I forgot I'm not allowed to have an opinion, in a thread that is asking my opinion

i dont think ive ever seen you express a positive opinion on anything

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

the Bunt posted:

Also White Bear was easily the second worst one, after that really horrendously lovely cartoon bear one

It was originally a Nathan Barley script making fun of Sasha Baron Cohen but they turned it into a CGI cartoon bear in the name of What If Cell Phones But To Much.

Most of the scripts are ones they had written for older shows and have been kicking around for years and then just updated to make them more futuristic, which makes people holding it up as cutting-edge social commentary on the unique problems of the information age that much sillier. The pigfucker episode was originally written before Princess Diana died and she was going to be the one who was kidnapped.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

i dont think ive ever seen you express a positive opinion on anything

if you don't see it, it doesn't exist, huh

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

gnarlyhotep posted:

How is that not just Stephen King?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

djwetmouse posted:

How is that not just Stephen King?

I added Heinlein for an extra dose of creepy/cranky old man-ism

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

if you don't see it, it doesn't exist, huh

as far as your online persona is concerned yeah

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

as far as your online persona is concerned yeah

well pay more attention, I guess

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

well pay more attention, I guess

ok also your new/old av is shite

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

i bet you watched every episode

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
What if you could check somebody's post history...IN REAL LIFE?! #blackmirror

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

hemale in pain posted:

We're all goons here, of course we watch of every episode of something we complain about as being the stupidest poo poo ever.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

I watched the first 3, but gave up when I realized nothing interesting was going to happen, and it took forever to get through each one. I think it's the glacial pacing that really kills them. As I said earlier, it's 20 minutes of story (if that) padded out to an hour.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

gnarlyhotep posted:

I watched the first 3, but gave up when I realized nothing interesting was going to happen, and it took forever to get through each one. I think it's the glacial pacing that really kills them. As I said earlier, it's 20 minutes of story (if that) padded out to an hour.

The Christmas special with Jon Hamm is better about this because it's an anthology episode, but even then you'll figure out the big twist in half of them about two beats before the show actually expects you to.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sleeveless posted:

It was originally a Nathan Barley script making fun of Sasha Baron Cohen but they turned it into a CGI cartoon bear in the name of What If Cell Phones But To Much.

Most of the scripts are ones they had written for older shows and have been kicking around for years and then just updated to make them more futuristic, which makes people holding it up as cutting-edge social commentary on the unique problems of the information age that much sillier. The pigfucker episode was originally written before Princess Diana died and she was going to be the one who was kidnapped.

That's p. dumb since Diana's death was when the information age, 24/7 rapidly updated news channels, and 'What's YOU'RE opinion? Text or ring this number to let our television poll know" stuff was kicking into high gear. Its only gotten more relevant since as all of these things have evolved over the years.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

yea, i sorta agree but the christmas episode was really good

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Being trapped in a snowglobe with Jon Hamm for a zillion computer years sounds pretty rad tbh :mrgw:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
It's pretty funny that the only episode everyone says is good stars an American actor. I'm a big fan of a lot of British TV shows and I can't think of any others this can be said about.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

my favourite part of that episode was the suicidal crazy chick

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I wanna make tv but I'm painfully uncreative, what can I do? O wait I know I'll just make tv ABOUT TV!!

Has Charle gone critical and started a series of himself talking smarmy over his own various series of himself talking smarmy over other tv shows?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I only watched the first two, and then White Bear. The first one was alright, then the second was overlong and boring, and White Bear was loving retarded. It's poo poo like all British TV.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
show is great

What's with the people saying the show is anti-technology though? Has the creator come out and said that because that's not what I get from the show at all. Saying it's anti-technology ignores half of the show's message. It would be amusing if the creator really was anti-technology and the rest of the show's subtext was just a series of coincidences but that sounds pretty unlikely.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I only watched the first two, and then White Bear. The first one was alright, then the second was overlong and boring, and White Bear was loving retarded. It's poo poo like all British TV.

watch the third one its the best, white bear is the worst one imo

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
White Bear would be better if it wasn't so loving racist, why the bear gotta be white? Shiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeet

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
sometimes profound often silly

really cold and dry much like british people

a good show

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

gnarlyhotep posted:

His name was Michael Crichton.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Alan Smithee posted:

sometimes profound often silly

really cold and dry much like british people

a good show

Yeah but compared to lots of other British shows, it's not. It's really bad in comparison. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, here are some of the shows I like:

League of Gentlemen

The Fall

The IT Crowd

Little Britain

Come Fly With Me

Peep Show (watched every episode twice)

Hyperdrive

The Top of the Lake

Snuff Box

and a bunch of others that are old like Monty Python and Red Dwarf

My point isn't that they're stereotypically British or anything like that. It's that they are entertaining to watch. Black Mirror is just dull as gently caress in comparison to them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I Am A Robot posted:

What's with the people saying the show is anti-technology though? Has the creator come out and said that because that's not what I get from the show at all. Saying it's anti-technology ignores half of the show's message. It would be amusing if the creator really was anti-technology and the rest of the show's subtext was just a series of coincidences but that sounds pretty unlikely.

"What if cell phone but to much?" covers it really well.

Take a piece of existing culture encouraged by technology:

* 24-hour news with instant public feedback
* Endless recreational culture as an omnipresent reward for submission to mindless work
* Personal cameras in most people's possession 24/7 allowing more comprehensive records of everything we do in daily life
* Chatbots
* Whatever's in White Bear cause I haven't seen it
* Comedians intruding on political culture
* Automated home control systems/PUA internet culture/blocking someone from communication portals

Now amplify that to a reasonably logical degree via plausible upgrades to existing technology:

* Instant public feedback influences policy and decision-making before all the facts are gathered on any subject
* Dystopian control over the underclasses' entire lives from front to back via media, where the only means of social mobility are towards larger and more luxurious cages and no one seems to care even though everyone notices
* Cameras so refined and inescapable that their hard records shatter our frail social glue of lies, delusion, and false memory
* Semi-organic bodies that can be infused with a sophisticated chatbot assembled from a lifetime of internet records, creating an imperfect vessel that pleases no one but is too real to be easily destroyed
* What if the Comedian became a Politician and won, and used a cartoon avatar so the metaphor that the candidate is an empty vessel for controlling interests is really obvious? God that episode sucks
* Automated home control mixed with consciousness upload/the camera bit from S1E3 but with committee/being able to block someone socially in flesh-and-blood reality

You can see that even without having seen White Bear that's 6/7 episodes following a formula that frames progress in technology as horrific for the culture surrounding it. It's not explicitly anti-technology, but even if the show is taken as a warning bell for society to not get carried away it does a remarkably poo poo job of recognizing that human beings are actually pretty aware of their limitations and tend to include failsafes and find ways around potential horror except in the most extreme cases imaginable, none of which are presented in Black Mirror as the protagonists are all designed to be "it could happen to you" everymen and women.

It is well-shot, usually well-written in terms of specific detail, and well-acted though, so it's easy to think its premises are a lot smarter than they are.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
the memory recording one was really intense and good and actually an interesting commentary on the human impact of obsessive documenting our lives

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

gnarlyhotep posted:

Yeah but compared to lots of other British shows, it's not. It's really bad in comparison. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, here are some of the shows I like:

League of Gentlemen

The Fall

The IT Crowd

Little Britain

Come Fly With Me

Peep Show (watched every episode twice)

Hyperdrive

The Top of the Lake

Snuff Box

and a bunch of others that are old like Monty Python and Red Dwarf

My point isn't that they're stereotypically British or anything like that. It's that they are entertaining to watch. Black Mirror is just dull as gently caress in comparison to them.

Looks to me like Black Mirror can't stand up to some of the other classics from the British Isles.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sonofsilversign posted:

the memory recording one was really intense and good and actually an interesting commentary on the human impact of obsessive documenting our lives

There's a reason that's the best out of the episodes I've seen-- it's the only one that feels plausible for the next 50 years and uses the existing melodramatic cliche of a paranoid, immature and jealous husband (see: Raging Bull) and not only uses the amplified technology to update that script in unique and interesting ways but vindicates the husband without letting us forget for an instant that he was a total bastard in getting his vindication and very arguably deserves the isolation he ends up with.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

"What if cell phone but to much?" covers it really well.

Take a piece of existing culture encouraged by technology:

* 24-hour news with instant public feedback
* Endless recreational culture as an omnipresent reward for submission to mindless work
* Personal cameras in most people's possession 24/7 allowing more comprehensive records of everything we do in daily life
* Chatbots
* Comedians intruding on political culture
* Automated home control systems/PUA internet culture/blocking someone from communication portals

Now amplify that to a reasonably logical degree via plausible upgrades to existing technology:

* Instant public feedback influences policy and decision-making before all the facts are gathered on any subject
* Dystopian control over the underclasses' entire lives from front to back via media, where the only means of social mobility are towards larger and more luxurious cages and no one seems to care even though everyone notices
* Cameras so refined and inescapable that their hard records shatter our frail social glue of lies, delusion, and false memory
* Semi-organic bodies that can be infused with a sophisticated chatbot assembled from a lifetime of internet records, creating an imperfect vessel that pleases no one but is too real to be easily destroyed
* What if the Comedian became a Politician and won, and used a cartoon avatar so the metaphor that the candidate is an empty vessel for controlling interests is really obvious? God that episode sucks
* Automated home control mixed with consciousness upload/the camera bit from S1E3 but with committee/being able to block someone socially in flesh-and-blood reality

You can see that even without having seen White Bear that's 6/7 episodes following a formula that frames progress in technology as horrific for the culture surrounding it. It's not explicitly anti-technology, but even if the show is taken as a warning bell for society to not get carried away it does a remarkably poo poo job of recognizing that human beings are actually pretty aware of their limitations and tend to include failsafes and find ways around potential horror except in the most extreme cases imaginable, none of which are presented in Black Mirror as the protagonists are all designed to be "it could happen to you" everymen and women.

It is well-shot, usually well-written in terms of specific detail, and well-acted though, so it's easy to think its premises are a lot smarter than they are.

Imagine if people were this joyless and pedantic back when The Twilight Zone first aired

you just pictured the next Black Mirror episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think its a good show, probably 80% of the episodes are really entertaining, if a bit silly sometimes. Utopia is another good show on Channel 4, but it got cancelled pretty bad recently.

• Locked thread