Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Miltank posted:

Almost every narrative is just a high tech ripoff of some millennia old meta story.

are you talking about Black Mirror or just fiction in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is the most depressing thing I've watched since Threads. I need a hug.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
It's alright. The Christmas episode is by far the best. Be Right Back, The Entire History of You, and The National Anthem are good. The others kinda suck.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sleeveless posted:

Black Mirror Season 3 episode list:

s3e01 - You remember that episode of The Twilight Zone where the talking doll is evil and tries to kill the dad? Well it's that, only the doll is connected to the internet and, uh, something involving social media and hackers.

s3e02 - Remember that episode of The Twilight Zone where a kid uses a toy phone to talk to his dead grandma and his inability to move on tears the family apart? What if we did that only instead of a toy phone it was Facebook and...aw gently caress, we already did that last season didn't we?

s3e03 - You remember that episode of The Twilight Zone where people are trapped in a white void with no memory of their past lives? What if instead of them being dolls in a barrel, they were computer programs trapped in a comp...goddammit! We already did that for Christmas!

s3e04 - Um...Ok, how's this: we take the episode about a man being haunted by a slot machine, only now instead of a slot machine it's...uh... Candy Crush! Yeah!

These all sound fine

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Utopia was a real cool show and it got cancelled just brutally

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its an ok show

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Fonzarelli posted:

the aesthetic was sort of neat but the constant "bad guy turns out to be a good guy pretending to be a bad guy but maybe they are actually bad, but now theyre good. or bad?" was tiresome and i gave up on it

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i hate black mirror because the scenarios are not plausible today just like how in 2001: a space odyssey there in space and have an A.I. well guess what 2001 came and went and still no A.I.??

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i'd remove my eye glass computer thing too

gently caress that

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux posted:

i hate black mirror because the scenarios are not plausible today just like how in 2001: a space odyssey there in space and have an A.I. well guess what 2001 came and went and still no A.I.??

Check out tinder

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Inside number 9 is a much better show

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I liked it because I had no idea what I was getting. The one with the recording implants probably effected me the most because it made me think of relationships I've had where one or both us went through a jealous/untrusting phase. Having that poo poo would have been the worst

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Fonzarelli posted:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

its an ok show

it's a bad show

Wikipedia posted:

The story follows a small group of people who find themselves in possession of the manuscript sequel of a cult graphic novel called The Utopia Experiments, which is rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the last century. This leads them to be targeted by an organisation known as The Network, which they must avoid to survive. Using the manuscript, they must uncover the meaning hidden in its pages before the disasters depicted become reality.

The Utopia Experiments and The Network. If you think the premise and organisation names sound like a 15-year-old's first stab at dystopian sci-fi, just wait until you hear the goddamn dialogue

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the colours were interesting but the story was needlessly overcomplicated garbage

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Be Right Back made me hate Transcendence even more, because it was basically the same thing but done much better and in only 45 mins.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLVjfFKy58

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

lol old people and video games

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Faux Mulder posted:

it's a bad show

The Utopia Experiments and The Network. If you think the premise and organisation names sound like a 15-year-old's first stab at dystopian sci-fi, just wait until you hear the goddamn dialogue

nah its pretty fun to watch, settle down bro its just a tv show, even the best ones aren't that clever

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Season 1 of Utopia was pretty and had some edgy violence but it made the mistake that every conspiracy show does where they think people care about their lovely government conspiracy rather than it just being an excuse for them to have cool action sequences ans character-building moments.

Then season 2 was literally the same as season 1 only worse

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Wish they'd put the Christmas one on Netflix. Damnit.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

it made the mistake that every conspiracy show does where they think people care about their lovely government conspiracy rather than it just being an excuse for them to have cool action sequences ans character-building moments.

Truth right here.
Every loving conspiracy show does this.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
black mirror probably doesn't work for the older crowd. sorry gnarly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I think one guy on Utopia has been accused of being a child molester by the conspiracy as a way of discrediting him and then acquitted afterward like 3 times over the course of the show, you'd think at some point they'd either find something else to hang over his head or the news would stop answering the calls of the guy who keeps fingering him as a pedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good series that looks at how new tech influences some of the issues that mankind has been dealing with for thousands of years. Most of the critics miss the point and think the show is about the tech itself.

• Locked thread