Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
It tries to stretch a 20 minute story out into an hour and is really boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

khwarezm posted:

You seem upset.

actually it seems more like you asked his opinion and he told you

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

khwarezm posted:

Nah he mad

I don't know if he's mad, but he's definitely right

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I like Charlie Brooker's Screen/News/Whatever-Wipe show. What is Black Mirror I have not heard of Black Mirror please tell me everything

It's a show that wants to be the modern X-Files or Twilight Zone but is actually long, drawn-out, poorly written sci-fi that drags on for seemigly ever before anything remotely interesting happens

Imagine if Robert Heinlein and Stephen King wrote sci-fi about things they barely understood and were preachy about it

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

If that's the only interesting thing about the show they could have made it 5 minutes long and saved a lot of time and money

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

surprise surprise gnarly hates yet another cool thing because hes a jaded old man who should hurry up and pull the trigger on that shotgun poised agaisnt the roof of his mouth

Sorry, I forgot I'm not allowed to have an opinion, in a thread that is asking my opinion

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

i dont think ive ever seen you express a positive opinion on anything

if you don't see it, it doesn't exist, huh

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

djwetmouse posted:

How is that not just Stephen King?

I added Heinlein for an extra dose of creepy/cranky old man-ism

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

as far as your online persona is concerned yeah

well pay more attention, I guess

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

i bet you watched every episode

I watched the first 3, but gave up when I realized nothing interesting was going to happen, and it took forever to get through each one. I think it's the glacial pacing that really kills them. As I said earlier, it's 20 minutes of story (if that) padded out to an hour.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
It's pretty funny that the only episode everyone says is good stars an American actor. I'm a big fan of a lot of British TV shows and I can't think of any others this can be said about.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Alan Smithee posted:

sometimes profound often silly

really cold and dry much like british people

a good show

Yeah but compared to lots of other British shows, it's not. It's really bad in comparison. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, here are some of the shows I like:

League of Gentlemen

The Fall

The IT Crowd

Little Britain

Come Fly With Me

Peep Show (watched every episode twice)

Hyperdrive

The Top of the Lake

Snuff Box

and a bunch of others that are old like Monty Python and Red Dwarf

My point isn't that they're stereotypically British or anything like that. It's that they are entertaining to watch. Black Mirror is just dull as gently caress in comparison to them.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I've tried getting into Hyperdrive but find it really bad. Otherwise, okay by me. I do like Black Mirror. Opinions!

Well apparently unless you are of the same opinion as the OP you are doomed!

Join me in doomedness! Myuaaahahah!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
hey man if you like internet doom and a long time getting to the point

this is IT

but you better be ready to wait a loooooooooooooooooooong time to get to the point!

because we are gonna talk a LOT and wait a FUCKIN LONG TIME

before anything happens

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Sleeveless posted:

Black Mirror Season 3 episode list:

s3e01 - You remember that episode of The Twilight Zone where the talking doll is evil and tries to kill the dad? Well it's that, only the doll is connected to the internet and, uh, something involving social media and hackers.

s3e02 - Remember that episode of The Twilight Zone where a kid uses a toy phone to talk to his dead grandma and his inability to move on tears the family apart? What if we did that only instead of a toy phone it was Facebook and...aw gently caress, we already did that last season didn't we?

s3e03 - You remember that episode of The Twilight Zone where people are trapped in a white void with no memory of their past lives? What if instead of them being dolls in a barrel, they were computer programs trapped in a comp...goddammit! We already did that for Christmas!

s3e04 - Um...Ok, how's this: we take the episode about a man being haunted by a slot machine, only now instead of a slot machine it's...uh... Candy Crush! Yeah!

WHOA WHOA HWOA me laddie!!

It's like this only padded out to an hour!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Sentient Data posted:

The only one I've seen was the one with the commercials, treadmill, and tv show, and I must be some kind of wimp according to the thread's standards because it was heavy as gently caress

I've been meaning to watch the other episodes, but I feel like I'd get depressed for the rest of the day and things have been too hectic for that

well me brethren, it's joost as we said it is, thar's the episoodes as we laid them oot!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

khwarezm posted:

Most episodes are 45 minutes except for one, which is an hour. They all set up unique stories, characters, universes and situations with buildup and payoff contained entirely within the episode.

If you feel like Methuselah after that then you should watch any number of other British dramas made over the years (try Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy).

tell ya what bro, try some good shows,like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1ANqpT6Ws&t=20s

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

khwarezm posted:

Surrender yourself to the boring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf5ntQAlSHc

(2 minutes in)

So you're still a dumb loving idiot, wow not surprised

Adbot