Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
What is the strangest thing you've ever encountered? I'm looking for your surreal situations, creepy coincidences and personal encounters with the weird.

I'm not necessarily looking for your most frightening experience, though the two have a tendency to go hand in hand. And please keep it to things you've personally encountered or seen, rather than hearsay.

The one I can most remember from childhood is a nighttime encounter with a supposedly haunted tavern in Westminster, MD.
My father was dealing with the owner in his apartment above the Tavern's bar area and I was left on the landing at the top of the stairs, with the owners two big, friendly black Labs. After a long (to a child) wait of petting the dogs, a crash from the darkened bar area echoed up the stairs. The dogs' heads jerked up, staring down the stairway for a long moment. A new noise in the bar started them whining. The floor of the 200 year old building creaked with apparent footfalls toward the staircase. The staircase landing was lit, an old yellow light shining down the stairs showed nothing at all. When the creaking sound of footfalls began to ascend the stairs, the dogs went berserk. It wasn't long until the owner and my father came to check on me and see what the fuss was about. As soon as the door opened, the creaking stopped, and the dogs immediately went silent again. The owner laughed at my terror.

"I see the ghost of the old soldier decided to have some fun with you. Don't be afraid, he won't hurt you. He just spooks the dogs every once in a while."

Apparently the place is a historical landmark for the haunting, with many people encountering the same phenomenon on the staircase. The crash? A painting falling off the wall to the wooden floor, undamaged. Another common problem there.

Thankfully, my father never made me go back at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Middle of the day, I was walking with a friend through a square in the central business district in Sydney. The weather was good, so there were enough people around. We were engaged in some conversation when suddenly, everywhere was deserted. This was a relatively big square and opened up into other streets. But there was nothing. No cars, no people, no animals. This lasted for something like a minute or so until the first car drove around a corner and the first bunch of people came out of the woodworks.

Probably not the weirdest, but the weirdest that came to mind.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Once while showering I dropped an almost-new bar of soap and it shot outside the curtain.

In a 5' x 5' bathroom I never found it again. Aliens or ghosts, you decide.

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
I once found an assembled window thrown on top of my roof. It would flap during windy days, making weird noises, so I grabbed a ladder to check out what it was. The window had that cardboard edging you'd expect for delivery. I guess someone misplaced their purchase.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Years ago the faucet in my bathroom started running very slowly. For a laugh I decided to try and clear it with MIND POWER so I pointed my finger at it and concentrated as hard as I could. After about 15 seconds of this I tried the faucet and it was still running slowly. Ah well. I turned it off, turned it on again and to my surprise some black yuck shot out of it and the water was running at full strength again.

Ready to hang out my "Psychic plumber" shingle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A friend and I had driven up to Centralia to try and see what the ruins there were like. The weather was cloudy that day, which meant it was also quite foggy up in the mountains. After some loving around and several long trips down the curving length of Bast Road (yes, Bast... just like the Egyptian goddess), we realized that what we had thought was an unusually wide intersection had been the town itself.

It was pretty boring at that point, mostly a few people stubbornly dwelling in their houses and nothing particularly creepy. But we saw this weird onion-dome church up on a hill, and it seemed like it was worth driving by just to see if it was a monastery or what.

As we did the long loop around and drove up near it, we saw no sign in front. We did see a circle of blonde children dancing in a circle on a lawn behind the "church" itself, its doors open or removed. Someone was watching the children, a man with a beard. He turned to look at us -- and my friend gunned it and we got past the place.

I am sure there was some innocent reason for it all, but even so...

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
I live in Washington state. A few years ago a friend and I drove down to California for a road trip. One night we were eating in a restaurant and saw another friend of ours, who also lives in Washington, walk in. We were like "what the?" and went over to talk to her and find out what she was doing there. It turned out it wasn't her, but looked EXACTLY like her. I mean exact, not just really similar. Usually when someone says two people look alike I never see it, but this was spot-loving-on. I can usually tell identical twins apart, and I could not distinguish these two. The only thing that makes me think it wasn't our friend just messing with us is that her voice and way of talking were a lot different. Anyway this girl was nice enough to let us take a picture and short video of her to show to our friend. We still use it to freak our friend out when she is being annoying. "Your doppleganger is coming for you!" I would not be surprised if my friend is adopted and has an identical twin that was separated at birth.

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.
I was around 10-12 years old, and it was Summer break for my sister and I. We were up late (maybe 1:00am or so) watching trashy tv (Jerry Springer or something, my sister was older and chose and I just had to go along with whatever, but it was Summer and I didn't mind). We were watching TV, and were talking or maybe eating a snack or something kids do, when we heard a noise at the back window of the room (we were on the 2nd story of the house, and the window overlooked or back deck). I can't remember to this day what the noise was specifically, or if I even personally heard it, honestly; maybe I just reacted to my sister hearing it, I can't really remember, because that's not the memorable part.

Anyway, she insisted it sounded like someone tapping on the window. So, my sister gets up and goes to look out the window; she pulls back the curtain and we see our dad in the window making a funny face at us. We laughed or whatever, and immediately (<10 seconds later) went to let him in, thinking now that he had just locked himself out and needed us to unlock the door. He had a big workshop out back and would stay up late sometimes just working on random projects we asked him for (bookshelves, stupid kid poo poo like sling-shots, etc), and we just thought he was out there the whole time and we weren't aware. It was a bit weird, because he never stayed up THAT late (maybe 9:00 or 10:00--but it was after 1:00 at this point), but whatever. Well, we opened the door to let him in, and nobody was there. I mean, we called out for him, looked off our back deck down to his shop to see if his lights were on, and they weren't. We were sort of weirded out, because we both had seen him clear as day right there in the window. We immediately walked back to his and my mom's bedroom to ask how he got in without us seeing him, and immediately we see him and my mom sound asleep (snoring and all) in their bed, all lights off, with no disturbances. I even walked over to him, and woke him up, because I thought he was still joking with us. He wasn't. I mean, this all happened in a span of 2-3 minutes, hardly enough time for my dad to make a silly face at us in the window, go down 2 flights of deck stairs, then somehow get inside the house without us knowing, go all the way back to his bedroom, undress and get into bed and fall asleep. We asked him the next morning and he looked at us like we had 3 heads, and not in a "oh I'm pulling your leg to trick you" kind of way, but a seriously he-thought-we-were-crazy kind of way. He almost got offended that we said he was outside so late. We asked our mom, and she said backed him up; said she was awake when he came to sleep that night, hours earlier. To this day we have no idea what the hell happened that night. I brought that up a few more times over the years with my dad, and he vehemently insists he didn't do anything like that to us.

It was weird. Nothing else weird like that ever happened, that I can remember. I know you said no hearsay, but my sister insists she saw our dead grandfather in our backyard one day. I didn't see it, but I did see "our dad" in the window that night.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

One of the couple of times I've ever been to Oxford, I was walking down the street and these two college dudes were walking past me and I swear one of them was gesticulating wildly while talking to his friend and he said "And I just used to come out COVERED in Semen"

I always liked to believe he was a veterinary student.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 13, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kazanski posted:

I live in Washington state. A few years ago a friend and I drove down to California for a road trip. One night we were eating in a restaurant and saw another friend of ours, who also lives in Washington, walk in. We were like "what the?" and went over to talk to her and find out what she was doing there. It turned out it wasn't her, but looked EXACTLY like her. I mean exact, not just really similar. Usually when someone says two people look alike I never see it, but this was spot-loving-on. I can usually tell identical twins apart, and I could not distinguish these two. The only thing that makes me think it wasn't our friend just messing with us is that her voice and way of talking were a lot different. Anyway this girl was nice enough to let us take a picture and short video of her to show to our friend. We still use it to freak our friend out when she is being annoying. "Your doppleganger is coming for you!" I would not be surprised if my friend is adopted and has an identical twin that was separated at birth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzyUIwoXydI&t=508s

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Grew up with TVs and cord ripped out of walls. beds shredded, invisible nothingness stomping room to room, precognition/psi experiences, shadows animated running around - most of these things correlated by other witnesses.

It's happened so much I've flown across the country just to talk with some of the best university level parapsychologists, and subsequently been studying what they have concluded. Which is mind blowing, once you understand what is being demonstrated in the majority of cases.

The problem is either nobody believes you, nobody gives a drat, or the few who have had genuine experiences use them to perpetuate religious beliefs. It's nearly pointless to try and have a rational conversation about it. I rarely bother.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My friend in high school was the oldest of 10 kids so running into people while trying to maneuver through his very small house was a fairly common thing to have happen. One night I was sleeping on the floor in the living room (we'd all been watching movies late and most of us just slept on the floor out there) and I woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. I am walking back to the bathroom which is at the end of a long dark hallway and I bump into someone 1/2 way down the hallway. I say "sorry, scuse me" and tiredly stumble around the guy but when I got to the bathroom, it clicked in my mostly-asleep brain that the person I bumped into was taller than me (I was only 6'2" back then, but still far, far taller than anyone else in the house) I turned on the light immediately and there was nobody in the hallway, none of the doors had opened or closed and I couldn't hear anyone else moving in the house. I ended up turning on all of the lights and checked the whole place and there was nobody else awake.

I'm sure it was just my sleep-addled brain half-dreaming, but it freaked me out that night for sure.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Not scary or anything, but when I was in high school everyone always told me there was another guy that looked just like me that went there that I never met. I would come outside and multiple people would tell me they went up to some guy that thought was me but it turned out not to be me and he looked just like me. The weird thing is I never met them, never knew their name, they were never in the same place as me apparently because no one ever pointed him out when I was with them. I guess thinking about it maybe it was a few people that got together and tried to gently caress with me, but I don't see the point and there didn't really seem to be an end game to it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My first apartment was across the street from a mental hospital. Actually delivered pizzas there once, it was more sad than scary. One night, a few friends and I were throwing around a frisbee in the parking lot of my apartment complex when a cop rolled up and rolled down his window, and asked us, in a low, even voice, the same way you'd ask how to get to the highway:

:cop: You kids see a guy walking around here, kinda looks like Jesus?
:) Nope, just out here throwing this frisbee.
:cop: OK.... <pause> ... well you kids should probably go inside.

And he drives off. To this day I have no idea if a nutjob escaped or he was looking for someone else. (We did go inside)

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Kazanski posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/magazine/the-mixed-up-brothers-of-bogota.html

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One time when I was about 15 or 16 I really needed to take a poo poo in some restaurant and some dude was hogging the only stall. It was about 5 minutes and he was making some weirdass noises in there so I knocked on the door and was like "Hey dude hurry up, I really need to go." Five minutes later he's still in there making the weird noises. Then the noises stop, the toilet flushes, and out walks this obese dude with spiked hair, black jorts, and a dumbass black and red shirt with a flame motif, who looks me in the eye and says, "It's like Superman, you know?" and walks out.

I sterilized that loving toilet before using it.

January
Jul 5, 2009

NLJP posted:

One of the couple of times I've ever been to Oxford, I was walking down the street and these two college dudes were walking past me and I swear one of them was gesticulating wildly while talking to his friend and he said "And I just used to come out COVERED in Semen"

I always liked to believe he was a veterinary student.

Maybe it was "cement".

January
Jul 5, 2009

The Cleaner posted:

poltergeist-type stuff

You should do an Ask/Tell about this if you haven't already. It sounds fascinating.

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011
This isn't eerie like other contributions, but is just a pretty major coincidence that I still think about occasionally. I grew up in a small town in Ohio, and one summer shortly before starting high school I went to South Carolina to visit a friend. While I was there we went to the mall & were milling around a store when a girl I knew from school walked in (obviously we were both astounded at the coincidence of 2 Ohio girls running into each other out-of-state like that).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Grew up with TVs and cord ripped out of walls. beds shredded, invisible nothingness stomping room to room, precognition/psi experiences, shadows animated running around - most of these things correlated by other witnesses.

It's happened so much I've flown across the country just to talk with some of the best university level parapsychologists, and subsequently been studying what they have concluded. Which is mind blowing, once you understand what is being demonstrated in the majority of cases.

The problem is either nobody believes you, nobody gives a drat, or the few who have had genuine experiences use them to perpetuate religious beliefs. It's nearly pointless to try and have a rational conversation about it. I rarely bother.

What happened to the documentary film about this stuff the crowdfunding campaign of which you were going to organize or something? And yes, make an A/T thread, poo poo sounds interesting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Cleaner posted:

... I've flown across the country just to talk with some of the best university level parapsychologists...

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
When I was a teenager I used to sleep in the guest room in the middle of the Summer because my computer would heat up my room to the point where it was difficult to sleep comfortably. Sometime late at night I decided to hit the sack, went into the other room, and laid down on the bed. The second I closed my eyes I heard a VERY loud, threatening dog's growl right next to my ear. I immediately jumped up and looked around the room, but there was nothing. We didn't own a dog at that time, and the window was closed as the A/C had been running so it couldn't have been something from outside. It scared the poo poo out of me and I was pretty uncomfortable with the idea of sleeping in there for quite a while afterwards. To this day I'm not really sure what happened - it wasn't a dream since I had literally just laid my head down on the pillow and I was still very much awake. It could have been some sort of brain fluke resulting in an audio hallucination, or maybe it was something supernatural...who knows? I still think about this from time to time.

Another incident occurred when I was at my old band teacher's house for a small gathering of family and friends. His sister was over with her kid (3-4 years old) and she had him on her lap as they were going through a family photo album discussing various relatives in the photos. At one point they come to a photo of the grandmother, and the kid immediately says "Ohhh, I don't like her..." My band teacher and his sister were pretty confused about the statement considering the grandmother had died before the kid was ever born. She had committed suicide a few months prior to the kid's birth, and in her suicide letter to the family she had expressed that she would deeply regret not living to see any of her grandchildren. When the kid's mom asked why he didn't like her, seeing as he'd never met her, the kid eerily replied "All she does is stand in the corner all day and cry. She never plays with me."

It was super freaky.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
This isn't supernatural (...or is it????) :iiam:

A while back, I lived for a couple of years in rural Montana, in a small town of 500 people that sat on just two sides of the highway (we didn't even have stop signs, let alone a traffic light). As you'd expect, there wasn't a whole lot to do around there on your downtime, so I used to drive to the nearest public library 1-2 times a week to get books. The public library was 45 minutes away if you took the paved roads and 35-40 minutes away if you took the dirt roads.

One day I was cutting it really close to the library's closing time, so I took the dirt roads and drove as fast as I could. The dirt roads took you past a few farms and ranches, and they usually weren't totally deserted but you might only see 1-2 cars on the way there and back. I was driving this huge Ford Excursion that belonged to my workplace, singing along to whatever music I was blasting, and just basically cocooned inside my own little world going 75 mph on scraggly dirt roads still wet from last night's rain -- not a really safe situation in which to tune out from my surroundings, but that's what happened.

At one point as I'm driving, I become dimly aware of a strange scene that's happening on the right side of the road ahead of me. The road runs right alongside some ranch land with a barbed wire fence keeping the cows in, with a small ditch maybe 5 yds across between the road and the fence. There is a red pickup truck parked with its front grill right up against the fence, perpendicular to it and the road. On the other side of the fence, on the ranch's property, there is someone in a white shirt sitting in a way that looks like he had been on his hands and knees and just sat back on his heels, looking at the ground in front of him and not having any reaction to the sound of my SUV approaching. Then, there is someone lying on their backs in the tall grass of the ditch on the other side of the fence, parallel to the road, waving one arm slowly in the air. All I can see is his arm.

I passed this scene so quickly I don't really fully register what I just saw until I was down the road around the bend. My first impression was that there had been an accident -- the truck had crashed into the fence and sent these two guys flying, one on each side of the fence. I thought, "poo poo, I should turn around and help them!" And then I thought, "Wait, you can't wreck your truck against a barbed wire fence -- you'd just plough over it. The truck didn't look damaged. And if they were injured and in need of help, why didn't the guy on his knees look up? But if they're not injured, why was that guy waving from the ditch without sitting up?"

At this point, I decide I'm not turning around -- I don't know CPR, I didn't have a cell phone and there was no cell coverage out there anyway, and....I just don't know what was going on. Luckily, the library I was driving to had a sheriff's station right next to it in the same building. When I got there, I stopped in and told the guy at the front desk that there might have been an accident about 20 minutes down the dirt road and maybe someone could check it out. Then I went to the library.

For some reason, the scene had me pretty freaked out, so I went home from the library along the paved roads instead. I kept thinking and thinking about the scene, so the next day I drove back along the dirt road to see if I could see any sign of what may have happened, like maybe a broken barbed wire fence or some debris or something. I didn't remember exactly where it was, because like I said, I hadn't really been paying attention to my surroundings the first time.

Not only did I not find any sign of anything amiss, there was no stretch along that road where the grass in the ditch was more than a couple inches high and plainly visible to a driver. There was absolutely nowhere for someone to lie on their back in the ditch and be obscured. I drove the entire length of the road coming and going, looking for what might have been the spot -- I looked for a suitable ditch, I looked for skid marks or torn up grass, I looked for broken or new barbed wire... There was absolutely no sign of anything out of the ordinary.

So to this day, I have no idea what I saw. If it was an accident, how could it have happened and why didn't the guy clearly conscious on his hands and knees look up when I passed? But if not, why was that guy lying on his back in the ditch and waving? And why couldn't I find that ditch later?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Good stuff. Kids especially say some truly hosed up things.

A reminder after the last post, which was a good example of weird poo poo, is that again, it doesn't need to be "Supernatural". It likely isn't. But we've all had something strange happen in front of, or to us.

Say you unwittingly turned into the middle of a parade, and are forced down the parade route by police barricades on all the other side streets since hey, the fat assholes moved the one you turned through, and forgot to move it back. So then you're forced to do the parade of shame, hiding your face from passerby who likely know you.

Perhaps you've been angrily challenged to a fist fight by a Little Person, and worst of all, you think they could probably kick your rear end.

Maybe you wander into a Redneck bar, and the entire clientele are asian folks.

Give us your weird.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I was finishing up on a late shift, and I got off the bus at about 1-2 AM and began to walk home. It was the summer and very hot, so I wanted a drink, but typically nothing was open on the way home. Surprisingly, a newsagent (which usually shuts at like 7) was open and I could hear dance music from inside. I went inside, the place was completely gutted, someone had written all over the drywall with the date and "END OF AN ERA" and similar sentiments in magic marker, and where the till usually was were two dudes in Santa costumes just raving their loving hearts out. They were very friendly and offered me some booze, but I was kind of unnerved so I grabbed the only thing left in the cooler (a dandelion and burdock soda), left a pound and politely left. They never stopped dancing.

The place shut and moved across the street by the next week, so I would guess I wandered in on two workers who had finished moving stuff and somehow found two (???) Santa costumes in the back somewhere, and were having a party? No one I have told this about believed me.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

January posted:

Maybe it was "cement".

Don't kill my dreams.

Also, a second hand experience. I have two older brothers and my oldest brother was travelling from spain through southern france, through northern italy and into switzerland before heading to uni. Now, going from Spain to Italy, France had one of its famous strikes so the train took a ridiculous amount of time so by the time my oldest brother got to Milan he was completely hosed from lack of sleep etc. In Milan station he needed to change some money and went to the Bureau de Change where they had to look at his passport and the nice girl at the counter looked at his passport and his surname and asked him "Oh, [surname?] are your [my other brother's name]'s brother?"

Now the thing to do there is ask "yeah! That's crazy, how do you know him?" but nope, he just nods, takes his money and walks off.

As someone who wasn't there, this is the most irritating poo poo in the world. I WANT TO KNOW! He couldn't have set up a more tantalizingly weird situation if he tried.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 15, 2015

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Here are some weird things that have happened to me.

I was driving one Memorial Day weekend from central Indiana up to Detroit. I wasn't paying attention when I got on I-65 and took the south exit instead of the north. As I was looking for the next exit where I could turn around, I hear all this honking and can barely make out people next to me waving furiously. I thought maybe I had cut them off or something along those lines, so didn't look at them. Finally I did and it turned out to be a relative from Chicago with his girlfriend, who happened to be going to surprise visit my mom in smalltown Indiana (where I had just come from). It was the oddest coincidence, considering we maybe saw each other once or twice a year.

My dad died in 2009. By that time I had gotten married to a Canadian and lived in Vancouver. I got the call Dad was going down fast around 1:00 pm my time. I took the next flight out of Vancouver that I could book last-minute. It left around 7 or 8 pm. Because it was a last-minute flight it took me on a round-about on the way back to Indiana. When I got to the Vancouver (Richmond) airport, I learned he had passed away. I was by myself, with my husband joining me later that week as he had to work and the funeral wasn't until the weekend. I had stops in San Francisco and Washington DC before going to Indianapolis. I'm just saying all this as background because I was really tired but shocked and by myself, which meant I did not sleep at all on the plane, nor the next day upon arrival because I had to help my mom and brother with all the logistics of legal/cemetery plans. Then relatives began flying in that day and night, so we had a great many people to see and cook for and so on. By the time my head hit the pillow that night, I was exhausted, to the point of being over-tired and unsure I could go to sleep. It was past eleven and the two others (Mom and brother) in the house had gone to sleep. I was sleeping in a small sunroom on a trundle bed that had an end table on either side (by the foot and by the head), each with a lamp. I figured I'd read for just a few minutes before dozing off, but I had already shut off the main light switch to the room that connected to the lamp at my head. A faint glow of a night light would allow me to see to go turn on the other lamp at the foot of my bed, but I realized it was too much trouble and I immediately fell asleep in the dark room after being up for two days. The next morning I was the first up. I noticed that the lamp at the foot of the bed was now on. It was a little weird, but I figured my mom or brother had come in for whatever reason and turned it on. When they got up later I asked them, and they had not been in to that room at all the night before, but my mom joked that was my dad's favorite lamp so perhaps he had turned it on for me. He did always used to tease me that I needed to turn on more lights when reading.

This is not my story but a friend's when I was in high school. He was a real party animal. We lived in the Chicago area, and I never knew anyone who drank like that guy. He was also fun-loving and had a great sense of humor, so everyone liked being around him. Growing up in Chicago meant a good deal of going to friend/family cabins in Wisconsin or Michigan. Winter meant snow-skiing, and summer meant lake cottages and water-skiing. My friend Ed's story took place during the winter. He went up to northern Wisconsin to ski and stayed at a lodge there with a bunch of his buddies. True to his nature, the main purpose of the trip was not really skiing but drinking and having freedom from parents. On this particular trip, there was a blizzard so they didn't get to ski and stayed in their cabin to do a lot of partying. At some point Ed went out with his friends to get some stuff from his car and he was kind of drunk so dropped his keys right in the middle of a big snow drift. He said the keys just sank, and he never could find them. Every day while there he would dig out that snow bank and search for his keys, and every day they were not to be found. Then at night the snow would come again, burying the keys further down. He never did find those keys and had to go through the process of getting new keys somehow. A few weeks later he went with some buddies back to the cabin for some skiing this time. Much of the snow was still there, not melted. He said that he walked by the mound where he could never find his keys and saw that there was a tiny round circle on the top of that mound, seemingly where the sun had started melted just that small quarter-sized hole of snow. He stuck his fingers in there and, wa-la, his keys were within reaching distance just below that round melted area.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

Perhaps you've been angrily challenged to a fist fight by a Little Person, and worst of all, you think they could probably kick your rear end.

Maybe you wander into a Redneck bar, and the entire clientele are asian folks.

Give us your weird.

Neither of these is weird at all...

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Pulvis Sumus posted:

When I was a teenager I used to sleep in the guest room in the middle of the Summer because my computer would heat up my room to the point where it was difficult to sleep comfortably. Sometime late at night I decided to hit the sack, went into the other room, and laid down on the bed. The second I closed my eyes I heard a VERY loud, threatening dog's growl right next to my ear. I immediately jumped up and looked around the room, but there was nothing. We didn't own a dog at that time, and the window was closed as the A/C had been running so it couldn't have been something from outside. It scared the poo poo out of me and I was pretty uncomfortable with the idea of sleeping in there for quite a while afterwards. To this day I'm not really sure what happened - it wasn't a dream since I had literally just laid my head down on the pillow and I was still very much awake. It could have been some sort of brain fluke resulting in an audio hallucination, or maybe it was something supernatural...who knows? I still think about this from time to time.

This could be exploding head syndrome. I poo poo you not, a real name given to a type of hallucination right before sleep. You don't realize you're drifting off yet, though, you think you're still awake. I've been suffering from it a lot the past month or so. Thankfully I knew about exploding head syndrome from the various ghost threads in SA. First few nights I kept hearing my dad cry for help, and I'd wake up with my heart pounding. Then I heard a man's voice that I didn't recognize shout "I AM JAKE!" right next to my head. And now I just usually hear people screaming. It doesn't wake me up with panic anymore. I just get jolted awake, realize it's my exploding head, and go back to sleep. I lost a lot of sleep the first week it started happening.

But I guess it could totally be a hellhound too. And maybe there's a 'tard ghost named Jake in my house.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The real technical term for that stuff is a hypnogogic hallucination.

e: the really technical term, I mean, not the "correct" one.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 16, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I also get the auditory hallucinations before bed from time to time, though fairly rarely. The most common one is someone knocking at the door. I've heard a voice calling out, a crashing sound, a dog bark, a roaring sound like the ocean/universe tearing open, etc.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

This happened to my mom, including shared dreams, creepy dreams, and what not. Apparently some guy hanged himself after taking sleeping pills in the same attic as my aunt slept in as a baby (and always cried). If it were anyone else, I'd take it with a grain of salt, but I've talked to siblings of my mom, and they confirmed. I still don't really believe, but it's the reason I'd never go into a haunted house voluntarily.

As for my weirdest experience, it's a lot less supernatural:

Me and my BF at the time, went on vacation to some remote part of Italy (we were invited by a friend). This was supposed to be a vacation of relaxation, walking around in nature, and reading. Being the nerd that I am, I brought all my books on PDA, because it saves on space! My BF forgot to pack the charger however, and we had an argument under the stars, about how he thought he could buy a charger somewhere, and I said that wouldn't work. He bought a charger, and it didn't work. He changed the polarity, and fried his battery. Now, on this remote mountain somewhere in Italy, there was a family restaurant, and they had amazing food, but more than that, they took our orders on the exact same PDA. It's the only restaurant I've ever been to that took orders digitally, and the best thing was; we'd eat there, I'd give them my PDA to charge, and we'd get a free drink after our dinner.

When Christmas rolled around, and they were going to close for a few days, they actually lend us a charger, so I wouldn't be without books. The oddest thing is, I had a double battery, and the charger dock accommodates for this, but there is no way that a restaurant would need a bigger battery, and yet they had the exact same set up as I did. It was the best vacation I had. Great food, and with the bill, they'd deliver my PDA fully charged. But if you think about it, remote mountain in Italy where they maybe get 5 tourists daily, if that, that takes orders electronically, with the same gadget as I had, it's literally like winning the jackpot.

Vampess fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 16, 2015

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Weird, because I also have a story about keys and snow. With a pic!

Mine takes place in Furano in February. So, really snowy, about 2m deep. Friends and I are snowboarding, and when I snowboard I always carry a pack with contains my DSLR. I don’t like to keep anything in the pockets of my snowboard wear, so I also store my phone, keys, whatever else in that same pack. This particular day I put my phone and keys in one of the zip pockets on the side of the pack.

At some point we decided to do the longest course at Furano, it’s a total of like 4km. I am not a wonderful snowboarder so I end up falling a lot, maybe 5-6 times over the entire 4km. When I get to the bottom of the mountain I realized that not only did I have that side pocket unzipped the entire run, my key and phone are gone. Well poo poo. So I am pretty hopeless given that I went down at several different points, and many of those points were just off the side of the course, so not really trafficked by anyone else (thus no hope that someone else would have noticed my phone/key and turned them in). Even so I recruited my friend and we searched like hell, digging through heaps and heaps of snow all along the course, especially where I thought I went down. After about two hours digging with our hands along the length of the course were tired and it just seemed so futile, trying to find a phone and house key in such a huge volume of snow. So we called it a day.

Back at the hotel I tried the “Find my Android” thing but it was useless. Even if it did find it, GPS isn’t exactly accurate even within a few meters. So I resigned to having to replace my phone and key when I got home. Overnight of course it snowed a lot, adding another 40cm or so on top.

The next day we went out again, and just for the hell of it spent a couple minutes digging around where I took a particularly nasty spill the previous day. SOMEHOW under like 70cm of fresh snow, off course, along a 4km stretch, I found my phone! The phone is one thing because it’s black and huge compared to a loose house key. But we kept on digging around that area. Like 2m away he’s digging, and ends up finding the key as well like 5 minutes later. It was such a sudden emotional swing, one moment I’m completely hopeless, next moment I’m reunited with both. I was so thrilled I had him take a picture of me, standing where we found them.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Goobish posted:

This could be exploding head syndrome. I poo poo you not, a real name given to a type of hallucination right before sleep. You don't realize you're drifting off yet, though, you think you're still awake. I've been suffering from it a lot the past month or so. Thankfully I knew about exploding head syndrome from the various ghost threads in SA. First few nights I kept hearing my dad cry for help, and I'd wake up with my heart pounding. Then I heard a man's voice that I didn't recognize shout "I AM JAKE!" right next to my head. And now I just usually hear people screaming. It doesn't wake me up with panic anymore. I just get jolted awake, realize it's my exploding head, and go back to sleep. I lost a lot of sleep the first week it started happening.

But I guess it could totally be a hellhound too. And maybe there's a 'tard ghost named Jake in my house.

Whoa, never heard of this before. That probably explains it. I never experienced anything like that again - I can't imagine having to deal with that on the repeat. I'd venture to say that it probably leads a lot of people to think they're going crazy if this becomes a regular occurrence and they have no prior knowledge of the condition.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

I also get the auditory hallucinations before bed from time to time, though fairly rarely. The most common one is someone knocking at the door. I've heard a voice calling out, a crashing sound, a dog bark, a roaring sound like the ocean/universe tearing open, etc.

I used to get these fairly often. Pretty much always things calling for attention--knocking, voices calling my name, phones/alarms ringing, etc. Really annoying.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

At one point as I'm driving, I become dimly aware of a strange scene that's happening on the right side of the road ahead of me. The road runs right alongside some ranch land with a barbed wire fence keeping the cows in, with a small ditch maybe 5 yds across between the road and the fence. There is a red pickup truck parked with its front grill right up against the fence, perpendicular to it and the road. On the other side of the fence, on the ranch's property, there is someone in a white shirt sitting in a way that looks like he had been on his hands and knees and just sat back on his heels, looking at the ground in front of him and not having any reaction to the sound of my SUV approaching. Then, there is someone lying on their backs in the tall grass of the ditch on the other side of the fence, parallel to the road, waving one arm slowly in the air. All I can see is his arm.

This is pretty much the scene that would happen if they noticed their dog climbing through the fence onto the road, and then they fell over a bunch when trying to reach it.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
So many strange things happen on America's highways. I drive a truck and the amount of people I've seen walking in the night on a stretch of interstate in the middle of NOWHERE is surprising. No bags, no bike. Just walking like highway phantoms.

Recently I was driving down US 395 north of Yosemite and stopped for a coffee and smokes. This 'town' was 3 houses and a gas station. I'd never stopped there before. To preface, my truck is company owned and my name is nowhere to be found on it. I walked in, paid cash (so no way of knowing my name from my credit card) and was walking back to my truck, which was parked about 10 yards from a front porch. As I'm walking by with coffee in hand I hear an older lady call out from her front porch.

"Hey Kyle!!"

My name is Kyle, I'd never seen the woman in my life.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I've had a bunch of weird things happen to me, but this was by far the weirdest.

I went to college for graphic design about 13 years ago. We each had our own desk, and our own lamp. We used special lightbulbs that wouldn't alter the colours we were working with, and the bulbs were expensive, so we had to provide our own. One guy in our course, Billy, was a cheap douche who would come in late nights and do his work using other people's lamps. One night we had a surprise heavy workload project so most of us were pulling an all-nighter. Shortly after 10pm Billy came in, unloaded his materials at his desk, and then went in his drawer, took a bunch of poo poo out, and went over to Jeff's desk.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Using Jeff's lamp," he said matter-of-factly.

"That's lovely, get your own bulb," I said. People had told me my lamp was among ones he had used before so I was getting pretty sick of him by this point.

"I just need it for a sec," he said. A few other people chimed in with "yeah, c'mon", and "Jeff won't be happy," but he ignored them and went to turn it on. It didn't turn on.

He looked under it. The bulb was in there. I watched him check the cord, and it was plugged in.

"Must be burned out," he said.

"Yeah, because you're loving using it all the time," someone else said.

"Shut up," he said, then went over to another unoccupied desk and clicked the lamp switch. Nothing.

"What the gently caress," he said, and checked the bulb and cord on that too. Bulb in, cord in.

I was curious, and went over and clicked it myself. It came on.

"Yeah, of course it comes on for you," he said in a snarky tone. I said, "watch Jeff's work for me, too," and went over to his lamp.
Click. It also turned on. The first one hadn't surprised me, but this one did.

Several people were watching by now and we're pretty amused. I went and turned 3 other lamps on - they came on - and then turned them off again. Billy followed me around, and tried to turn them on after I had, and they would not turn on. Now the room had gotten silent, punctuated by Billy's exclamations of "what the gently caress?" And "did you mess with this?" I was just as shocked as he was, and was starting to get a little weirded out. Some of the others went around and turned on lamps - they all came on for them too. Billy also tried those and they would not work for him. He was getting visibly frustrated now. A few people were laughing at the situation, but most of us were looking at each other trying to figure out what the hell was happening. Finally, he said "gently caress this, I know someone is screwing with me. I don't care if I fail this assignment, gently caress you guys," and left.

We talked to each other after and asked if anyone had done anything to tamper with any of the lights. None of us had, and it didn't make sense that they would work for all of us one second, but not for him the next.

Billy ended up getting his own lightbulb after that and never tried to use anyone's again. I'm not sure if he completely thought we were messing with him or if it freaked him out too.

That was the weirdest thing that happened to me that was also witnessed by ~15 people.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
Sophomore year of college I lived in a decent sized house with 2 roommates. My room was in the basement, which was an area dug out under the house. There was a separate smaller room that was directly underneath the driveway that would have been an extension of my room, but someone had made a brick wall that went up most of the way up the wall - enough that it blocked the view, but you could climb over if you really wanted to. Both rooms had a small window in them that you could use if you needed to escape, and the unfinished room under the driveway also had a stairway with a rear entrance to exit the house.

It was finals week and I was up late at night trying to cram in some last minute studying on my bed. I thought I see movement out of the corner of my eye and look up. There's an opossum staring at me on the top of that brick wall.

I jump up and run the hell out of that room and upstairs. I actually run up to the 2nd story where one of my roommates (Brian) lives and notice he's still awake and has his door open. "Brian - you won't believe it, there's an opossum in my room. We need to get rid of this thing." He doesn't believe me at all, but I get him to come down to the room with me. We have the genius idea of bringing a knife and trash bag.

We jump up at the thing and it kinda runs and scampers in the windowsill. It then plays dead.

We throw the trash bag over top of it. It's still just laying there. I then proceeded to stab the hell out of that thing with the knife. I obviously ended up killing it and we threw it away.

I feel kinda bad about it now, but there's no way I could have ever went to sleep with an opossum staring at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ifuckedjesus posted:

Sophomore year of college I lived in a decent sized house with 2 roommates. My room was in the basement, which was an area dug out under the house. There was a separate smaller room that was directly underneath the driveway that would have been an extension of my room, but someone had made a brick wall that went up most of the way up the wall - enough that it blocked the view, but you could climb over if you really wanted to. Both rooms had a small window in them that you could use if you needed to escape, and the unfinished room under the driveway also had a stairway with a rear entrance to exit the house.

It was finals week and I was up late at night trying to cram in some last minute studying on my bed. I thought I see movement out of the corner of my eye and look up. There's an opossum staring at me on the top of that brick wall.

I jump up and run the hell out of that room and upstairs. I actually run up to the 2nd story where one of my roommates (Brian) lives and notice he's still awake and has his door open. "Brian - you won't believe it, there's an opossum in my room. We need to get rid of this thing." He doesn't believe me at all, but I get him to come down to the room with me. We have the genius idea of bringing a knife and trash bag.

We jump up at the thing and it kinda runs and scampers in the windowsill. It then plays dead.

We throw the trash bag over top of it. It's still just laying there. I then proceeded to stab the hell out of that thing with the knife. I obviously ended up killing it and we threw it away.

I feel kinda bad about it now, but there's no way I could have ever went to sleep with an opossum staring at me.

This isn't weird at all. Just sad and cruel.

That was a bad story.

• Locked thread