Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Meep posted:

Good to hear the steam version is out, I'll have to try it. Though I really wish they would make the versions cross platform compatible because holy gently caress I don't want to do the single player campaign again.

It isn't. It is apparently coming next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrBims posted:

It isn't. It is apparently coming next weekend.

Is there a new source on this? The pulled article said 8th and 15th, and the 8th part came true. Also, it came out on iOS exactly a week early last year.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
They really can't help themselves.

quote:

[–]Wizards_Chris 1 point an hour ago

We apologize for the recent confusion regarding the coin cap in Magic Duels. To make sure everyone has a clear understanding moving forward, here are the official details:

There is a daily cap to the number of coins that an individual can earn through Battle Mode wins, and that cap is 200 coins.

Players earn coins for each Solo Battle or Ranked Versus Battle (multiplayer) win in Battle Mode. Additionally, players earn a 20 coin bonus with their first Ranked Versus Battle win each day. This bonus does not count toward the daily cap of 200 coins.

Coins earned in Story Mode or from Skill Quests do not count toward the daily cap either.

If you do reach the daily cap you can still continue to play Solo or Ranked Versus Battles, but you will not earn any coins this way until the next day.

For the purposes of determining when a day starts or ends, the game clock is based on Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).

Which is fine, of course. They need to recoup costs. Just amusing that the lead dev apparently had no idea they were going to do this and repeatedly promised no cap.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 12, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
lol, this is such a clusterfuck and the game isnt even out on most platforms yet. saves are still client side by the way, so feel free to spend money on the game at the risk of a cloud desync deleting all your poo poo, much like previous duels. at least the gold cap might be able to get bypassed by just save editing...

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicduels/comments/3cvkwh/lost_all_of_my_progress_and_about_30_worth_of/

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

tirinal posted:

They really can't help themselves.

Which is fine, of course. They need to recoup costs. Just amusing that the lead dev apparently had no idea they were going to do this and repeatedly promised no cap.

I don't have a problem with the gold cap, my problem is them saying forever that there'd be no gold cap and then at the last moment going "oh I guess we did put a gold cap in. okay. lol."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cPOPD48v4 (go to 92 seconds, it's an interview with Dan Barrett from Wizards)

things have been uncapped for every person who reviewed the game and everyone who got early copies, so they've all been reviewing it as "there's no cap!" to try and... what? give people an incentive to play it with false advertising? hell even their customer support was saying if there's a cap it's bugged, until somehow one of their developers actually played the game.

jesus Wizards is incompetent and dumb as hell when it comes to anything not made of paper.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
I love that they made it Freemium while keeping the saves client side. Yep, no way that can go wrong. I hope they like making no money because everyone is just going to modify their save to have everything, while of course the few people who do pay are going to get hosed when they lose their save game one way or another.

Like this is incompetence on a whole other level, it's just bizarre that they think that you can do that in a Freemium game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Why the gently caress can't this company make a good digital version of my favorite game? They suck so hard at any attempt to bring this game into this century.

There isn't even an official digital deck building program. There was one but it totally sucked, and caused people's phones to crash if they received a call while it was open.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've been playing this for about a day and it seems better than the last one but not by much.

I still think the card limits based on rarity is a really dumb thing and I still miss having the game just be preconstructed decks that you can tweak. Last year's game felt like a much shittier but slightly prettier MTGO, this one is just like a weak attempt at a Hearthstone ripoff.

I'm probably still going to play it quite a bit though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jibo posted:

I've been playing this for about a day and it seems better than the last one but not by much.

I still think the card limits based on rarity is a really dumb thing and I still miss having the game just be preconstructed decks that you can tweak. Last year's game felt like a much shittier but slightly prettier MTGO, this one is just like a weak attempt at a Hearthstone ripoff.

I'm probably still going to play it quite a bit though.

They plan on supporting it for a while so my hope is they actually listen to people's complaints and turn this into a decent little thing.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

Why the gently caress can't this company make a good digital version of my favorite game? They suck so hard at any attempt to bring this game into this century.

If you ever have an afternoon to kill, read the WotC page on Glassdoor. It explains a lot.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Aaah I miss those times when we just bought the drat game and that was it. Back in the antique year of 2013.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Human Crouton posted:

The real question is more "why the gently caress do they keep hiring Stainless to program these games?" Every version has had bugs, 2014 even shipped with creatures that had incorrect power/toughness and that wasn't fixed for weeks.

This "there's no cap, that's a bug!" followed by "oh wait no there's a cap totally lol" poo poo is a whole new level, however.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I feel like all they would have to do is code in all of type 2, redo deck building, unlock all cards, and just have a cash shop for alternate card art. Or border designs on cards. Spell effects, avatars, etc etc.

I will try this on Steam, but the draw of the previous games for me was less online play and more "modding in 10,000 cards". If poo poo takes forever to grind up a new deck, depending on how the cardlist plays out, this could just sap all the fun from the game.

Still kind of cautiously optimistic they will salvage this. Not sure why.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Aaah I miss those times when we just bought the drat game and that was it. Back in the antique year of 2013.

Man I wish they still made card games like the old yu-gi-oh ones. Just have some complete sets throw in an online mode and charge $60.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I actually like that we have an option to have a client with a grind to get random cards - I can think of it as going through the same kind of process as playing paper Magic as a kid, only being able to get new boosters and decks every so often and coming up with strategies based on the janky libraries we had at the time, and it is rewarding when you get new cards that change up the way you have been playing. And this is for free.

If you want tons of cards now, those options exist. They have existed, will continue to exist, will continue to have tons of players. XMage, Cockatrice, pauper/peasant MTGO, whatever. There is nothing stopping you from using existing clients and imposing limits and alternative game modes to have the specific experience you want.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jon Do posted:

I feel like all they would have to do is code in all of type 2, redo deck building, unlock all cards, and just have a cash shop for alternate card art. Or border designs on cards. Spell effects, avatars, etc etc.

They have said that there will be "cosmetic items" to buy eventually. No, I have no loving idea why they wouldn't have those in at launch, at least some special Avatars or something.

MrBims posted:

I actually like that we have an option to have a client with a grind to get random cards - I can think of it as going through the same kind of process as playing paper Magic as a kid, only being able to get new boosters and decks every so often and coming up with strategies based on the janky libraries we had at the time, and it is rewarding when you get new cards that change up the way you have been playing. And this is for free.

If you want tons of cards now, those options exist. They have existed, will continue to exist, will continue to have tons of players. XMage, Cockatrice, pauper/peasant MTGO, whatever. There is nothing stopping you from using existing clients and imposing limits and alternative game modes to have the specific experience you want.

That's more or less how I look at it. The fact that there's no upfront cost this year is a big plus. If I'm not having fun with it after a week or two, I'll just drop it like I did with Hearthstone and feel no regret. :shrug:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

MrBims posted:

I'm just going to say that feel free to have fun your way, there's no right way to have fun and all.. but I found that to be the worst part of paper magic. Reducing the money helps a lot, and everything, but I got a lot more out of the mechanics than I did the collecting.

The last I looked into MTG freeware it was pretty much apprentice. I really like the card art, at 1080p it's pretty nice, even on the modded Duels cards, so the freeware poo poo doesn't particularly appeal to me. I am to understand the conceit with the modded Duels cards -- given that it's WoTC and they've been doing it for years -- is that they're HQ scans of purchased cards? I dunno.

Either way, the Duels format, and depending on the pace, unlocking the cards, isn't a death sentence for me. I just think a "cosmetics only" cash shop could do well enough on its own without limiting gameplay progress for cash; I don't really trust them to do that responsibly. And that I would find a completely open, and much larger cardset a major bonus.

e: I had been meaning to do a thing where people could use an agreed on set of modded cards in Duels 14 and setup games online, in IRC or something... but got majorly sidetracked; I've heard vague references to something like this. Does this exist?

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 12, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yes, DOTP 2014 has some really fun custom decks, I had one installed called "TheFireMind's Pack", it had crazy things like an absolutely degenerate Selesnya Populate deck where you'd have ten 8/8 guys by turn 4 sometimes. Two people with the same mods can play against each other. I don't remember if you have to have the entire same mod, or if you just had to have your opponents' deck (and yours obviously).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If they just made the game Hearthstone 2.0 with an arena mode and just added payment options for lots of cool visual poo poo in the game it would be :perfect: Just make gold cards come out of booster packs bought with real money and give each and everyone a visual buff. Creatures have a 3D model stand on top of the cards, instants make cool spell animations and enchantments add little glowy poo poo to whatever they're attached to.

If they just add no cap and easy to get the cards it would literally be printing money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Demiurge4 posted:

give each and everyone a visual buff. Creatures have a 3D model stand on top of the cards, instants make cool spell animations and enchantments add little glowy poo poo to whatever they're attached to.

As long as you could disable all that poo poo because Magic is a game best played fast, or at least not spent watching little dudes wiggle swords at each other.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrBims posted:

I absolutely love having to build decks out of absolute garbage and slowly improving it over time. The original Starter Decks were basically just 60 randomly assorted cards. The old Shandalar game is what they really need to remake; there's a great LP of it in the archives.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So... they're not doing an Android version this time, they literally refuse to announce release dates until day-of, the game is still as broken as previous years, there's no physical card with purchase this time, the game has gone free to play in the bad sense, and reviewers were given copies that were modified to be less lovely than the release version?

Am I getting all this right?

How is it possible that this game gets worse with every iteration?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alabaster White posted:

The original Starter Decks were basically just 60 randomly assorted cards.

Nothing beat the feeling of buying a Starter deck and finding out that it was literally unplayable. :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

precision posted:

Nothing beat the feeling of buying a Starter deck and finding out that it was literally unplayable. :v:

They at least fixed that (slightly) in later variations by having a guaranteed amount of land. Of course, you still ended up with nightmarish 5-color decks where you have basically no mana for anything you'd want to cast, but it's better than nothing... right? :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

So... they're not doing an Android version this time, they literally refuse to announce release dates until day-of, the game is still as broken as previous years, there's no physical card with purchase this time, the game has gone free to play in the bad sense, and reviewers were given copies that were modified to be less lovely than the release version?

Am I getting all this right?

How is it possible that this game gets worse with every iteration?

well you see, wizards doesn't want to compete with paper mtg, so by delivering the worst experience possible, everyone will play paper magic instead!

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

they literally refuse to announce release dates until day-of,

This is actually the best part??? Everyone needs to do this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well i guess this convinced me to finally try hearthstone

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
So are quests completely broken? Because I have yet to get credit for winning a match with the deck archetypes listed.

Edit: Oh just read the reddit about it, I guess you have to make the deck using the wizard for whatever stupid reason and then you may or may not have it work.

Meep fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 13, 2015

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Meep posted:

So are quests completely broken? Because I have yet to get credit for winning a match with the deck archetypes listed.

I could only get those to work with a deck made by the godawful deck wizard. My deck made using the deck builder with the same archetype didn't work. Maybe you can't use any artifacts?

I'm glad the game is so terrible that it doesn't bother me. Maybe it will work slightly better on computer, but the terrible interface combined with the sluggishness and bugginess make me glad to have more free space available on my iPad. I've never had any other app be nearly as slow or unstable as this on my iPad mini 2.

Who thought an isometric interface where instants overlap with the cards you want to effect would be a good idea on a touch device? Even if it was well made it would be hard to select cards accurately as small as some of the touch points are.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So, uh, Forge still continues to provide a really great single-player campaign with its Quest mode, where you start off with a pool/draft deck and slowly build it through planeswalking around and dueling other decks for cards 'n cash (for buying cards/into drafts). Works great on both PC and Android (you need to download the APK from their forum for Android, though). It even has a bunch of built-in skins and quality of life features, and it's easy as hell to mod in new planes or custom sets or decks or whatever. It also has sealed/draft tournament simulators with bots.

Seriously, I go back to this every time I mistakenly buy DotP thinking it'll get better and it never fails to scratch the same itch.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

So, uh, Forge still continues to provide a really great single-player campaign with its Quest mode, where you start off with a pool/draft deck and slowly build it through planeswalking around and dueling other decks for cards 'n cash (for buying cards/into drafts). Works great on both PC and Android (you need to download the APK from their forum for Android, though). It even has a bunch of built-in skins and quality of life features, and it's easy as hell to mod in new planes or custom sets or decks or whatever. It also has sealed/draft tournament simulators with bots.

Seriously, I go back to this every time I mistakenly buy DotP thinking it'll get better and it never fails to scratch the same itch.

Cool, I'll check this out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, I installed it on my brand-new 6 and it's poo poo. Runs like poo poo, the interface makes no sense, drains the battery faster than anything. All I want is a card game I can play on the toilet/at work that isn't a pile of garbage and isn't Hearthstone. This doesn't appear to be it.

Rhym
Jan 2, 2007
Helloes?

they literally refuse to announce release dates until day-of

Prokhor posted:

This is actually the best part??? Everyone needs to do this.

If every game publisher kept their mouth shut until they released something, yes that would be amazing and the world would be a better place. However we already know about it, so not having the release date doesn't really help.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This thread isn't a total loss, if only for introducing me to the slightly magic forums, and to Forge. Thanks!

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism
Since this game isn't worth talking about, Spellweaver is worth checking out while we're on the topic of freemium card games. It won't be on mobile devices for quite a while I'm sure and the card pool is pretty small still but it's a pretty ok MTG derivative with a decent hearthstone-esque draft mode.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Spellweaver is a solid game, but it really needs more active players. It's usually me and 2 other guys in the limited queues during US prime time.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

WarEternal posted:

I'm going to be playing the everloving crap out of this. As a person who has casually played for ~20 years, I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, ever since i heard they were making mtgo. Since I a: hate paying for cards and b: find the mtg community terrible. Duels 2012 and 2013 were great and this looks like it will be like 2015 except with real cards and a not complete garbage UI. Will be nice to finally play again.

Hahaha, totally rescinding this statement after I see how badly they hosed up this game. I thought they were actually going to take the right approach and make a game w/ the majority of Magic's card base going forward, and make it legitimately F2P. Instead, they've butchered the card pool from the new set for seemingly no reason (I don't mean the cards that don't work in Duels games either, EG: Llanowar Elves, but stuff like XU instant 'counter unless they pay X' cards were removed from the available cards from the new set) and made it so there's a daily gold cap. No thanks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ You expected them to launch Origins with a thousand cards or something? They need to see if this model makes money first, and if it does, I'm sure they'll throw as many cards as they can into it. Also, while the fact that they lied about the daily gold cap sucks, it looks like it will take around 30-40 days of hitting the gold cap to unlock every card. That seems perfectly reasonable to me, considering Hearthstone could take you 6 months to even get your first Legendary. How is this game not "true" F2P?

Forge is cool, but playing Magic against a computer is never exciting to me. You can't bluff a computer.

Spellweaver actually is quite good. It's true that nobody is ever online though. :\

precision fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 13, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ You expected them to launch Origins with a thousand cards or something? They need to see if this model makes money first, and if it does, I'm sure they'll throw as many cards as they can into it. Also, while the fact that they lied about the daily gold cap sucks, it looks like it will take around 30-40 days of hitting the gold cap to unlock every card. That seems perfectly reasonable to me, considering Hearthstone could take you 6 months to even get your first Legendary. How is this game not "true" F2P?

It's technically F2P, but it's not like this is some glorious new alternative to the box price model of years past.

It takes ~70 boosters to unlock everything if you do the campaigns and get random incidental gold from quests and stuff. That is 52 days of grind at ten wins a day. Let's be charitable and assume you win two games for every loss. That comes to 15 games, or easily 2+ hours a day every day for two months just to get to the point where you're not hobbled in deck construction.

Or you could just buy the 10k gold needed outright, which will run you ~$50. Previous titles were what, $15?

I'm an adult with a job, and (if the rest of the game wasn't poo poo) I would honestly rather just unlock all the cards with real money. Except apparently WotC thinks it should cost me as much as buying, say, Witcher 3. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

precision posted:

I actually expected it to launch with every card from the Origins set, but it appears they are taking out some of the more complex cards. This is very confusing to me because I thought the Origins set was designed to be used in this game.

• Locked thread