Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

On the speed affecting crit chance, if you have a fast Pokémon with slash, its 100% I'm pretty sure. Certainly made some trainers a pain. Also, Zappi for pikachu and Lin for Mankey.
Edit: Dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Let's go with the Dome.

Only because it's the one I went with when I was a stupid kid.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:siren: Remember, you can nickname ANY captured Pokemon. If no one offers a different one in 12 hours, you automatically win. There are NO restrictions (other than 10 characters), though you can only offer three per update (either separate Pokemon, or two or three different ones to the same Pokemon). :siren:

Fossil voting will be for another 3 hours (midnight GMT).

HELIX: 4

DOME: 5

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 9, 2015

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dome

Scythe-hands!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Simsmagic posted:

Diddy for Mankey and Pipsy for Pikachu.

Grab a Dome because memes are bad.

Do all of these things.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

:siren: Remember, you can nickname ANY captured Pokemon. If no one offers a different one in 12 hours, you automatically win. There are NO restrictions, though you can only offer three per update (either separate Pokemon, or two or three different ones to the same Pokemon). :siren:

Welp, in that case, call the Nidoran couple "MR DONGS" and "MRS DONGS".

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Nidoran♂ should be Nidoman and Nidoran♀ needs to be Nidowoman. I am very uncreative, but I just don't want to see Dongs in the name of pokemons.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

:agreed:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Carbon dioxide posted:

:agreed:

Dome Fossil, because reasons Scythes.

Siegkrow posted:

I put forward Bruce for our Mankey (After Bruce Lee)
I like this too.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

quote:

I put forward Bruce for our Mankey (After Bruce Lee)

Bruce is a HitMonLee, not a damned Mankey. :colbert:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Name the pidgey Tweety

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Added Space posted:

Name the pidgey Tweety

To this end, a Farfetchd called daffy.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That should be fine, since we can actually catch Farfetch'd in this game. Though I'm sure I could just change it no matter what.

Also, unless Helix gets 5 votes in the next 30 mins, I think we've got our fossil of choice.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Bruce is a HitMonLee, not a damned Mankey. :colbert:
Hitmonkey?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

To this end, a Farfetchd called daffy.

Seconded

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Helix is the one true fossil!

And name Ratata lil' poo poo just cause I want you to see that in the box every time you have to go in.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
How many characters can a name have because we need to put badrats.exe on that PC.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

How many characters can a name have because we need to put badrats.exe on that PC.

You've got 10 to work with, so maybe either badratsEXE or just plain ol' badrats.

Edit: How soon we all forget the cautionary tale of Feraligatr...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, 10 characters is the max, so I'll ignore them if you go over, but they won't count towards your suggestion total!

Also try and bold your entries so I can always read them!

And we're picking DOME, so now I can continue recording. Nicknames will be in from Cerulean onwards, since I do want to have some kind of backlog.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Will you accept 'trades' with goons to fill out your Pokedex? That way you get a bunch of weird rear end Pokemon OT/Names as well, just like when we were kids.

(I think you can export/import with PikaSav, if I remember right.)

Also, Dome

Pidgy -> Dinner

Ratatata -> Nibbles

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
In that case, we need a rattata in there named badrats who will always be there in our PC, embarrassing us for trying to have a full library.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh, surprised that there haven't been too many attempts at a straight/informative LP about a Pokemon game. Then again, the single player stuff is brain dead easy. Multiplayer is where its at.

Ah, Gen I. Kickstarted the whole Pokemon craze, but as games they're horribly put together, and really unbalanced.

Crosspeice posted:

Frozen: Becomes completely immobile and can only be cured by items or being hit by a fire type move. Otherwise, it is indefinite.
Paralysis: Quarters speed and has a 25% chance of being unable to move that turn. Curing the status does not remove the speed reduction.[/i]

Some statuses are pretty bad, especially in this generation. We'll get into the crazy stuff later.

Like with those two status effects. There was no way to fight back against Freeze unless your opponent was dumb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Didn't they only just get rid of Poison hurting you outside battle in Gen6?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Will you accept 'trades' with goons to fill out your Pokedex? That way you get a bunch of weird rear end Pokemon OT/Names as well, just like when we were kids.

(I think you can export/import with PikaSav, if I remember right.)

I could do, but I can just change OT numbers and nicknames using PikaSav. If you really want a specific OT number, I'll change it no problem, but not for the main team members.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh, surprised that there haven't been too many attempts at a straight/informative LP about a Pokemon game. Then again, the single player stuff is brain dead easy. Multiplayer is where its at.

Ah, Gen I. Kickstarted the whole Pokemon craze, but as games they're horribly put together, and really unbalanced.

I mean, Red's LPs are pretty informative and are straight runthroughs of the game, but yeah, they're pretty basic JRPGs otherwise, which is why I decided on doing the games that everyone's played, but probably not for a long time and also have a bit of a language twist to make it more interesting. Both for me and the viewer, because I love discovering stuff like that. I haven't thought of multiplayer, but it's something I can do.

I'm sure you're used to unbalanced games. :v:

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't they only just get rid of Poison hurting you outside battle in Gen6?

Gen 5, since the effect looked outdated and kinda pointless, since in Gen 4, it left you with 1HP no matter what.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Sleep is arguably as broken as freeze in Gen 1. It's not as bad in isolation, but you can really abuse it.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I'd be remiss if I didn't second SonGoku for Mankey's nickname. The plotline goal of this game is even to reach the westernmost part of the map.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, we have some nicknames set.

Pikachu is Ikue

Mankey is Wukong

Rattata is badrats

Pidgey is Tweety

The Nidos are MR AND MRS DONGS

These will be in effect in Update 7. For now, Update 4 is nearly ready to go.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update #04: Through the Forest

As an aside, here's the in-depth look at Mankey. It's actually pretty good, aside from Defense, so it needs to hit or be hit.

And a pretty simple capture, but we won't be using it. To the box!

Finally time to head to new and exciting places.

Pretty easy to avoid the grass in this short area, nothing we haven't seen before. In this game, at least.

Also some annoying items we can't get for a while.

Let's enter Pokemon's first ever dungeon.

It's pretty tame, with grass still around, but it can be quite the difficult maze. For a five year old. Also, people will battle us in here.

Who doesn't know about this one?

Heading left, we'll find this girl who is standing on top of the grass...

Trainer battles usually have higher leveled Pokemon than the surrounding wild ones and can have up to 6, same as you. They also give you loads more exp.

Pretty simple. Mankey still needs a bit of babying.

Still really awkward...

And that's our first normal trainer battle. In this game, there's no way to rematch trainers, bar five. We're gonna take em all down!

"a PIKACHU here!"

I think I might have the last one, ever.

Plenty of items lying around, a lot are just throwaway crap we won't exactly use, but might as well pick them all up.

#010: Caterpie

Hey look, we caught a COWterpie. Haaaaaaaaaaa.

And now we're back at the entrance.

Let's find some more kid's pets to beat up and steal their lunch money.

Catching every Pokemon you come across can be a bit hard on the funds, but we'll manage.

"Let's battle 'em!"

Most trainers will come towards you if you walk in their vision. You could avoid battles, but where's the fun in that?

Get used to seeing a lot of these. This area has pretty poo poo species diversity in Yellow.

String Shot (Ito wo Haku: Spit Thread) lowers your Speed by one stage and can be kinda annoying.

It's now faster than me.

It does have a small chance of missing, but the game doesn't really tell you that. This is the same message that would come up if I tried to paralyze something with Thunder Wave twice.

I will try and balance everyone's levels. Pikachu will be the highest, but with only two members, it doesn't make much of a difference.

"cut it!"

Now Pikachu will be first out in battle.

"POKEMON trainer!"

#011: Metapod

Alright, new Pokemon, let's see what it can-

-never mind.

Okay, now let's see what it does.

And there we go, everything a Metapod does. Harden (Katakunaru: Stiffen) raises Defense by one stage. And it's what Metapod learns when it evolves from Caterpie.

But, if it came from a Caterpie, then surely it must know Tackle and String Shot? It doesn't just forget those moves? Well, actually, wild and trainer Pokemon alike just know the last four moves it can learn, no matter what, regardless of what it could learn by either previous evolutions, or TMs and HMs. This excludes Gym Leaders and the like, so they're not completely screwed over.

It can be a slow and painful process, but, being an evolved Pokemon, you do get a lot of exp for minimal effort.

"POKEMON!"

He also had a Caterpie, but unless something really interesting happens, I won't be showing off battles of Pokemon we've seen before.

Good luck in this location. You'll need it.

There's not much else around here, so let's get ourselves some new Pokemon.

Now, I'm going to be very upfront in this LP and show you how I'm going to ignore low encounter rates and other such stuff to make this a smoother experience for all.

Oh wow, fancy that. With a very simple cheat, I can change what Pokemon I encounter next in the wild. For this instance, I save countless encounters with Pidgey and Caterpie and skip straight to what I want to see.

It acts exactly like the real thing, with the proper moveset. The only thing that won't be right is the level, it's what the Pokemon that had been replaced would've been at.

There's one other problem...

For Pokemon that aren't in the area, the sprite isn't loaded. Everything else is fine, again, aside from the level, but this is also the only way to obtain a Weedle in this game. So this is also how I'll get around version exclusivity: by not giving a poo poo!

#013: Weedle

Again, this is a fully legit Weedle. I just shouldn't be able to catch one here in this game. We won't be using it anyway.

That'll be it for now, since we're running low on balls, so let's continue on.

"can't beat me!"

Now this will be VERY useful.

They're both terrible.

For a maze, it's not a very interesting one towards the end.

Can't complain about free stuff though.

That should really not be a Caterpie right now.

"at this!"

"the ground!"

: I'm looking for the stuff I dropped!

Mine now!

And now we're done!

Oh wow, welcome to modern gaming. :v:

Pewter City: A Stone Gray City
(Pewter is a metal alloy of copper, tin and gray lead)
Nibi City: Nibi is the color of gray stone
(From nibi oro, a dull gray colour)

Please stop my stuff from dying thank you.

: When JIGGLYPUFF sings, POKEMON get drowsy... Me too... Snore...

Pfft, yeah right.

You alright there buddy?

Neat.

[

There's a couple neat things that happen when Pikachu is asleep.

Time to drat all these animals to eternal rest.

Wha? It's broken? drat 90s tech...

Oh... hey... you're awake... great.

There's not much too this place (Gen 1 is kinda like that, really), so I'll buy some balls.

"have to go!"

Well, I, uh, it's kinda boring, maybe.

: See you around!

Fiiiiiiine.

At least I'm not with people that amble around wanting to stare at everything.

"rare POKEMON."

"rare POKEMON."

Those are some kickass skeleton sprites.

"(MOON STONE?)"

...is that a thought? Does this kid shaped robot we're wheeling around actually have sentience?

Pfft, space, who cares, right?

: Follow me!

Why can't I just leave and have some colour in my life...

"take on BROCK!"

Well since you dragged me here, sure, why not?

:iiam:

Let's go catch more Pokemon instead.

#017: Pidgeotto

If you find a Pidgeotto here, then you should've spent your luck on a lottery ticket. It has a 1% chance of appearing. Ash is one lucky motherfucker, lemme tell you. Obviously I found this legit, no cheating, no sirree.

It's also kinda hard to catch and since I che- er, have a strange bug, it's not at level 9, the only level it appears at. Pikachu would've OHKOed it regardless.

Low Kick (Ketaguri: Kick Down) is very different to what it is in later gens. It has a set BP of 50 and has a good chance to flinch. It's unfortunately one of the best Fighting moves this gen. And effective against Normal types to boot.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we'll talk about that later.

Time to catch it.

That's unfortunate, but kinda expected. Let's try again.

Hmm, that's annoying. Still, this is why I bought those Pokeballs.

Okay, this is just silly. You may have noticed it broke out on the same shake each time. We'll talk about that in a moment.

There we go, took long enough.

#014: Kakuna

Might as well catch this while I'm here, even though I really shouldn't.

Still a legit Pokemon, so I'm not complaining.

Let's take on the dumb Gym Leader then.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 13, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes #04: GOTTA CATCH 'EM SOMEHOW

So we've been catching quite a number of creatures. It's been pretty easy so far, but really, how does it work? Well strap in, we've got some nerd poo poo to talk about.
pre:
    If the Pokémon is a Marowak and the player's current location is the sixth floor of Pokémon Tower 
(in practice, this only happens for the ghost Marowak), the capture immediately fails.
"It dodged the thrown BALL! This POKéMON can't be caught!"

If the ball being thrown is a Master Ball, the Pokémon is automatically caught. Skip the rest of the procedure.

Generate a random number R1, with a range depending on the ball used:
        If it's a Poké Ball, R1 ranges from 0 to 255 (inclusive).
        If it's a Great Ball, R1 ranges from 0 to 200 (inclusive).
        If it's an Ultra or Safari Ball, R1 ranges from 0 to 150 (inclusive).

Create a status variable S:
        If the targeted Pokémon is asleep or frozen, S is 25.
        If the targeted Pokémon is poisoned, burned or paralyzed, S is 12.
        Otherwise, S is 0.

Subtract S from R1 (to avoid confusion with the original R1, I will refer to the result as R*).

If R* is less than zero (i.e. if the generated R1 was less than S), the Pokémon is successfully caught. 
Skip the rest of the procedure.

Calculate the HP factor F:
        Multiply the Pokémon's max HP by 255 and store the result in F.
        Divide F by
            8 if the ball used was a Great Ball.
            12 otherwise.
        Divide the Pokémon's current HP by four. If the result is greater than zero,
divide F by this number and make that the new F.
        If F is now greater than 255, make it 255 instead.

If the base catch rate of the Pokémon is less than R*, the Pokémon automatically breaks free.

Generate a second random number R2 ranging from 0 to 255 (inclusive).
    If R2 is less than or equal to the HP factor F, the Pokémon is caught. Skip the rest of the procedure.

The capture fails. Determine the appropriate animation to show:
        Multiply the Pokémon's base catch rate by 100 and store the result in a wobble approximation variable W.
        Divide W by a number depending on the ball used, rounding the result down:
            If it was a Poké Ball, divide by 255.
            If it was a Great Ball, divide by 200.
            If it was an Ultra or Safari Ball, divide by 150.

If the result is greater than 255, the ball will wobble three times; skip the rest of this subprocedure. 
(This can't actually happen, since the Pokémon's base catch rate can never be greater than 255, 
but given the shenanigans that can happen when Game Freak forgets to include failsafes, I don't blame them.)

Multiply W by F (the HP factor calculated above).
        Divide W by 255.
        Add a number if the Pokémon has a status affliction:
            If the Pokémon is asleep or frozen, add 10 to W.
            If the Pokémon is poisoned, burned or paralyzed, add 5 to W.

Show the animation and message corresponding to W:
            If W is less than 10, the ball misses ("The ball missed the POKéMON!").
            If W is between 10 and 29 (inclusive), the ball wobbles once ("Darn! The POKéMON broke free!").
            If W is between 30 and 69 (inclusive), the ball wobbles twice ("Aww! It appeared to be caught!").
            Otherwise (if W is greater than or equal to 70), the ball wobbles three times ("Shoot! It was so close too!").
RIGHT, so that's a lot of words, if you really want to math it up, then give this a read, it's where I sto- er, borrowed that nerdy stuff. We'll keep it simple, so I don't go insane.

Firstly, the most useful part of the equation is status effects, they give you the biggest boost in catch rate then anything else and are calculated before HP is even a factor.
pre:
Ball	    PSN/PAR/BRN	         SLP/FRZ
Poké Ball   12/256 = 4.69%	 25/256 = 9.77%
Great Ball  12/201 = 5.97%	 25/201 = 12.44%
Ultra Ball  12/151 = 7.95%	 25/151 = 16.56%
You will ALWAYS have this chance of catching something, regardless of HP or catch rate, so make use of status when you can.

Next, the equation makes it so lowering Pokemon below 33% of their health has no effect on the capture chance. This applies to Poke Balls and Ultra Balls. Great Balls have the cutoff at 50% health, so you're twice as likely to catch it by this, or three times as likely using another ball.

Because of Great Ball's interesting quirk, it has a better chance of catching a Pokemon of around half health with no status effects and a high catch rate, around 200 or so. Whereas Ultra Balls work much better on statused, low health, low catch rate Pokemon, though for just low health, they work around the same as a Great Ball.

Finally, noticed how Pidgeotto broke free at the same point each time? That's because the wobbles in this game are an indication of how likely you are to catch the Pokemon. So it will break out on the same shake each and every time.
pre:
Wobbles	 Message	                  Approximated chance of capture
0	 "The ball missed the POKéMON!"   < 10%
1	 "Darn! The POKéMON broke free!"  10-30%
2	 "Aww! It appeared to be caught!" 30-70%
3	 "Shoot! It was so close too!"	  >= 70%
So a lot of Pokemon will "appear to be caught", so just keep trying. You also shouldn't see many of message 3, since you'll usually catch it before too long.

As an aside, Catch Rate is on a per species basis and range from 3 (Legendaries) to 255 (common crap), using the formula C+1. It obviously increases the range of numbers that determine capture and are a good online indication as to how tricky this particular bugger will be. Any lower than 3+1 and the Pokemon just cannot be captured.

So that's how you capture a Pokemon. For now, we wont have to worry about stuff, but note how for a lot of Pokemon, I'm starting the capture when they go past 33% and that status isn't too helpful right now.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 9, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I don't know if you knew, but (spoilers just in case) you were unable to put Pikachu in the PC because he was sleeping over there.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Maaaan, I remember, back when I was a stoopid kid kid with my gameboy I was the kind of moron who didn't train a team of Pokemon, I just took one pokemon and grinded him to the point that type matchups and other things were irrelevant

Now, why is this relevant to the latest update? Because in the last playthrough of yellow I did before I lost the cartridge I lucked into finding a Pidgeotto, so THAT was the pokemon I grinded to ludicrous levels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

Maaaan, I remember, back when I was a stoopid kid kid with my gameboy I was the kind of moron who didn't train a team of Pokemon, I just took one pokemon and grinded him to the point that type matchups and other things were irrelevant

Now, why is this relevant to the latest update? Because in the last playthrough of yellow I did before I lost the cartridge I lucked into finding a Pidgeotto, so THAT was the pokemon I grinded to ludicrous levels.

Could have been worse. Could have had a level 70+ blastoise with surf, bubblebeam, ice beam, and hydropump, and a 60+ butterfree with psychic, psybeam, psiwave, and confusion going into the Elite 4 like I did as a dumb kid with a gameboy. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cheez posted:

I don't know if you knew, but (spoilers just in case) you were unable to put Pikachu in the PC because he was sleeping over there.

I know too much about this game, yes.

Cythereal posted:

Could have been worse. Could have had a level 70+ blastoise with surf, bubblebeam, ice beam

:hfive:

:siren: Please keep the nicknames coming, including Pokemon we haven't caught yet so they can be given a name immediately. You can do this for any Pokemon we can encounter in any game up to the third badge! :siren:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I vote the next random pokemon we have not captured shall be named Lu Bu because I am really hoping it's Jigglypuff.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

NAME THAT METAPOD BONER

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Name a Zubat gently caress YOU.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I almost feel like Metapod/Kakuna are there to introduce the player to the concept of switching out weaker Pokemon for shared experience, since they're so useless on their own.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waffleman_ posted:

I almost feel like Metapod/Kakuna are there to introduce the player to the concept of switching out weaker Pokemon for shared experience, since they're so useless on their own.

I think the notion is that Butterfree and Beedrill are supposed to be powerful early game critters, at the price of you have to be willing to level through Metapod and Kakuna, like Magikarp/Gyarados. Except they're both pretty bad (well, Butterfree's confusion can be nice early on).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Added Space posted:

Name a Zubat gently caress YOU.

death .cab for qt posted:

NAME THAT METAPOD BONER

Yes.

Waffleman_ posted:

Cythereal posted:

I think the notion is that Butterfree and Beedrill are supposed to be powerful early game critters, at the price of you have to be willing to level through Metapod and Kakuna, like Magikarp/Gyarados. Except they're both pretty bad (well, Butterfree's confusion can be nice early on).

Both true. Butterfree and Beedrill can be useful to begin with. And is the only time when they can be, since they learns gently caress all. Though I think they intend you to go from Caterpie/Weedle to Butterfree/Beedrill, because then Metapod/Kakuna will have an actual move to damage with. But then, I don't know if the learnset of Pokemon are intentional, or something they just couldn't code properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

In my play through of yellow, I was talking to a friend on Skype while doing the first gym. He said he beat Brock with a level 64 pidgeot because he couldn't beat him any other way, and didn't know of Butterfree's Confusion, or Nidoran's Double kick.

• Locked thread