Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Mewtwo, Starmie, Snorlax, and Gengar should get some kind of award for longevity in relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yep, Mewtwo has always been Uber, while Starmie and Gengar have always been OU. Snorlax was OU until Fighting types became just too good in Gen 5. Maybe a mega will shake that up.

And Gengar was used in RBY OU because it could put stuff to sleep and blow up. Aside from dodging other Explosions, its typing worked against it a lot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mega Snorlax is just it waking up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crosspeice posted:

Yep, Mewtwo has always been Uber, while Starmie and Gengar have always been OU. Snorlax was OU until Fighting types became just too good in Gen 5. Maybe a mega will shake that up.

And Gengar was used in RBY OU because it could put stuff to sleep and blow up. Aside from dodging other Explosions, its typing worked against it a lot.

Gengar has excellent Special and broad TM compatibility, which make it a versatile attacker. The problem is that the same TMs that make Gengar a powerful contender are just as in demand for other, equally potent critters. Been a long, long time since I've played RBY, but as I recall Staryu/mie's native movepool is lovely and it only shines when given TMs. I remember my toughest decisions in any given playthrough were what to teach psychic, ice beam, and thunderbolt to.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think what this leads to is that TMs having infinite uses was basically the best change in Pokemon ever, and I'm still glad it happened.

Also that Gen 1 had a lot of problems. But then again, first games, they get to be a bit rough around the corners and they were still drat good games for their time.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

On brocks gym in the anime... 4kids got rid of the kanji for it on the stone, and put in small rear end letters GYM in the top right corner.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I'm another person who had this as my very first game. That might be the reason why I keep buying Pokemon games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sorites posted:

The other thing about typing in Gen 1 is, at the end of the day the type list hardly matters. Because so many of the already-small Pokemon list is unusably bad for reasons other than type. So it's often less about the type being good or bad and more about "There's only one ghost, and it's so-so; there's only one dragon, and it's bad."

I know people rave about Psychic types, but Normal types in Gen I were pretty strong too because of that fact. Gengar is a good Pokemon, but it's the only Ghost type in Gen I (Who is a good Pokemon despite its typing's limitations.) Fighting types were terrible, which leaves their main opposition as Rock. There's also a lot of good moves that are Normal type (Explosion was literally broken in the first 4 gens), and they're immune to the Paralysis effect from Body Slam. Overall, not as powerful as Psychic, but they're still pretty strong.

Oh and as for nicknames, SKULKRAKEN for that lovely Magikarp.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Silegna posted:

On brocks gym in the anime... 4kids got rid of the kanji for it on the stone, and put in small rear end letters GYM in the top right corner.

I like how Brock was first shown as a badass type dude in the anime but when he joined the gang, he spent the rest of his days doing nothing but falling over himself to declare his undying love for any and every female character to enter his vision.

So he's basically a poo poo version of Sanji from One Piece.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I used to watch the anime religiously until I suddenly realized it was pretty god drat terrible. I think Ash is one of my most hated fictional characters ever at this point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Skyridge posted:

I used to watch the anime religiously until I suddenly realized it was pretty god drat terrible. I think Ash is one of my most hated fictional characters ever at this point.

I stopped watching somewhere around Hoenn? But always basically kept my ear down as to what was going on. I, foolishly, watched the Sinnoh league episodes because "Oh no they're actually really good" and sure as poo poo they weren't bad!

And then they wrote themselves into a corner by "poo poo, Ash is too good to reasonably lose"

So they just threw a guy with two legendary pokemon at him to sweep his entire team of 6. And then, after not having watched in forever, is when I knew I never needed to watch the show again

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

So he's basically a poo poo version of Sanji from One Piece.

Who is now his own poo poo version of Sanji :v:

Skyridge posted:

It's a blatant advertisement for the games and that's all it ever will be. But by itself, it can be a fairly entertaining 24 minutes of television. Just don't expect anything interesting to happen ever.

Onmi posted:

So they just threw a guy with two legendary pokemon at him to sweep his entire team of 6. And then, after not having watched in forever, is when I knew I never needed to watch the show again

That was pretty bad because otherwise Ash would've won easily, so it was a cheap way of keeping him from doing anything. They fixed that for the Unova League by just having him be an idiot and love a 5 vs 6 because of surprise Riolu evolution sweeping his team. It was also dumb and bad. Can't wait for him to gently caress it up in Kalos.

The anime is quite weird in that the protagonist cannot really improve, cannot succeed in his dreams and cannot change in any way. It removes investment from the audience and it's an obvious ploy to keep refreshing the audience so they don't have the change anything. People may hate Ash, but now there's nothing to hate, he'll be the same in ten years as he was ten years ago. But, that's the money machine for you.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

One of these things is not like the other~

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh hey, looks like my new zombie botnet is working.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Crosspeice posted:

One of these things is not like the other~

I've clearly just been holding you back all this time.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Crosspeice posted:

It's a blatant advertisement for the games and that's all it ever will be. But by itself, it can be a fairly entertaining 24 minutes of television. Just don't expect anything interesting to happen ever.

I just love that his dream is to be a "Pokemon Master" but he's just so god damned bad at it. Like, the level cap is 100 but his Pikachu has to be level a billion by now and yet it gets wrecked by flying types and poo poo. He constantly releases his Pokemon or doesn't evolve them, so I'm sure Oak is sitting somewhere weeping softly that his dream of the perfect Pokemon encyclopedia has withered and died when he trusted this moron to the job. The only time he put forth any effort towards catching Pokemon he wound up with 30 Tauros.

And in all this time, over all of these regions, through all of these various Pokemon League tournaments, Ash basically has absolutely nothing to show for it because he always loses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MissileWaster posted:

I just love that his dream is to be a "Pokemon Master" but he's just so god damned bad at it. Like, the level cap is 100 but his Pikachu has to be level a billion by now and yet it gets wrecked by flying types and poo poo. He constantly releases his Pokemon or doesn't evolve them, so I'm sure Oak is sitting somewhere weeping softly that his dream of the perfect Pokemon encyclopedia has withered and died when he trusted this moron to the job. The only time he put forth any effort towards catching Pokemon he wound up with 30 Tauros.

And in all this time, over all of these regions, through all of these various Pokemon League tournaments, Ash basically has absolutely nothing to show for it because he always loses.

Which made confronting Ash with the serial numbers filed off in GSC incredibly satisfying when you smash his entire team into the dirt starting with the electric rat himself.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Didn't the anime actually get derailed early on? Like it was supposed to go in a much different direction (And actually end by the time the first movie came out) but then like the head writers changed or something? So we got, whatever it is we got today.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Onmi posted:

That was the best thing ever, though. :colbert: I was howling with laughter when he pulled the second one out.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Didn't the anime actually get derailed early on? Like it was supposed to go in a much different direction (And actually end by the time the first movie came out) but then like the head writers changed or something? So we got, whatever it is we got today.

Well, not for the reasons you said, but a lot of the direction did change even early on. Gold/Silver was in the works and the first season was going to tie that in, but I think the sudden American craze put the kibosh on that. Don't ask me for details, I wouldn't know anything. All I know is that it isn't the last time that the anime would suddenly shift direction because of things happening with the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

It was supposed to only be 1 season long but then the great Pokemon craze happened and it became HUGE in the west, and the anime continues to this day with 17 films under its belt and countless seasons of the show.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

MissileWaster posted:

He constantly releases his Pokemon or doesn't evolve them,

While he did release his Goodra a few months ago, the last Pokemon he properly released was Lapras in 1999. Technically Charizard in 2000, but it has since come back. He only really released Pokemon in the first season. Since then, he hasn't done anything like that, though they are rotting away at Oak's Lab. And his Pokemon evolve whenever really, depending on marketing or how easy/difficult it is to draw and animate them.

He's becoming a hoarder.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 11, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Christ. Snorlax is HUGE o_O

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crosspeice posted:

He's becoming a hoarder.

Sounds like a normal Pokemon player to me. :v: Who actually releases critters once they're no longer useful, or doesn't catch new pokemon that cross their path even if they're only trophy pieces?

Could be a potentially interesting challenge mode, only keeping six critters at a time and immediately releasing any superfluous ones.

Edit: Eh, not in RBY at least. Once you have them I suspect Lapras and Starmie could smash everything in the game with no further assistance needed.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 11, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it feels like that is the same in X and Y though. I beat the game by pretty much just using 3 pokemon, my firefox (Delphox), a Pidgeot, and Venusaur. I mean, occasionally I would bring along other pokemon but when it came to the Gym Leaders Delphox would just wreck poo poo...somehow.

I remember talking to one of my friends who had played Pokemon since Gen 2 and asked if they were all this easy, she said that when it comes to the story and the PvE aspect of the game, yes it is that easy. However PvP is a little trickier.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Black and White are probably the hardest of the Pokemon games, storyline wise, many a player, me included got wrecked by Ghetsis and his super strong Hydregion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best part of the anime was the beginning of the Unova arc, where Pikachu, a Pokemon Ash has had and used for almost two decades, got beaten by a trainer who had literally JUST GOTTEN HIS STARTER.

Also in Unova, Ash has to use his Pokedex to identify a Koffing, despite there being a portion of his life where he saw one pretty much every day, but you know, cuz the kids watching don't know.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part of the anime was the beginning of the Unova arc, where Pikachu, a Pokemon Ash has had and used for almost two decades, got beaten by a trainer who had literally JUST GOTTEN HIS STARTER.

Also in Unova, Ash has to use his Pokedex to identify a Koffing, despite there being a portion of his life where he saw one pretty much every day, but you know, cuz the kids watching don't know.

Oh god, don't remind me of Unova. The Elesa battle, the Roxie battle, the constant Oshawott and Axew and Scraggy.

Though that was the first time he's ever actually scanned a Koffing before.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Dr. Fetus posted:

In addition to the above the Porygon incident lead to a short hiatus during which there was some restructuring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cerony posted:

In addition to the above the Porygon incident lead to a short hiatus during which there was some restructuring.

It has also lead to Porygon2 and PorygonZ being the only Pokemon who have never appeared in an episode of the anime, despite Pikachu being the cause of that whole seizure thing!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I forgot how dumb the in-game trades were in this game. :psyduck:

Waffleman_ posted:

It has also lead to Porygon2 and PorygonZ being the only Pokemon who have never appeared in an episode of the anime, despite Pikachu being the cause of that whole seizure thing!

There is anime styled artwork for Porygon-Z, so they did think about having it in an episode. But of course they decided such a dumb Pokemon shouldn't sully their excellent show.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Aces High posted:

I remember talking to one of my friends who had played Pokemon since Gen 2 and asked if they were all this easy, she said that when it comes to the story and the PvE aspect of the game, yes it is that easy. However PvP is a little trickier.

Main game Pokemon has become nothing but a boring slog for me. I completely burnt out on Alpha Sapphire after I think 6 badges. However, competitive PvP is really really awesome and I actually try to go to official tournaments for it (I got top 16 of 350+ in the preliminaries of last year's World Championship. Too bad only the top 4 advanced to join the people who had already gotten in).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The Orange Islands is the only time Ash won something.

Then he returns home and his Mother uses it as a weight for lifting.

Then like the GS ball, it is dropped and never spoken of again, like the filler it was. :v:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Pokemon Anime battles own. I get to watch a giant turtle with a tank beat up a giant fire-breathing lizard. :colbert:

Yes, I'm still five years old.

Edit: Wasn't the GS Ball going to resolved in the anime and then Celebi got a movie?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I remember the anime battles being nothing but speed lines and inexplicable explosions.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
So, I probably missed it early in the thread but I see the term STAB get used a lot and I don't know what that is.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
same-type attack bonus. A pokemon does 50% extra damage when it uses a move of its type (or one of its types in the case of dual-typed pokemans)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, sorry, I was planning on going in depth for Side Note 7, but I've been around this stuff my whole life, some things slip through the cracks.

STAB is Same Type Attack Bonus, where you get a 50% boost to an attack that the same type as yours, so it's always good to have one of those (or two if their effects are different enough) and other strong moves from other types.

Skyridge posted:

I remember the anime battles being nothing but speed lines and inexplicable explosions.

Things improved a lot for the XY saga (probably because they shaved some costs on how bad the BW saga was) and speed lines are very few and far between, it's actually pretty good.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Crosspeice posted:

There is anime styled artwork for Porygon-Z, so they did think about having it in an episode. But of course they decided such a dumb Pokemon shouldn't sully their excellent show.
gently caress you porygon-z owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

That was the best thing ever, though. :colbert: I was howling with laughter when he pulled the second one out.

It was absolutely hilarious mind you, but it's duuuuumb writing.

Mind you in the current series I hear they decided to do the childhood friend love interest thing with Serena, which confuses me since much like everything else that can never conclude with this show, that has no end point besides disappointment.

It's like... it's fine if you do an incidental teases that idiots with overactive imagination read too much into. It's different when you start directly doing it on purpose knowing there's no pay off.

• Locked thread