Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Onmi posted:

It was absolutely hilarious mind you, but it's duuuuumb writing.

Mind you in the current series I hear they decided to do the childhood friend love interest thing with Serena, which confuses me since much like everything else that can never conclude with this show, that has no end point besides disappointment.

It's like... it's fine if you do an incidental teases that idiots with overactive imagination read too much into. It's different when you start directly doing it on purpose knowing there's no pay off.

Its also a massive loving plothole. Ash apparently was in kalos when he was 5. Given he's only loving ten and doesn't remember, its a plothole. Also cliché childhood friend with promise they can't remember. gently caress, I gave up after Johto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

gently caress you porygon-z owns.

I know. :smith:

Silegna posted:

Its also a massive loving plothole. Ash apparently was in kalos when he was 5. Given he's only loving ten and doesn't remember, its a plothole.

Considering he forgets basically everything when he goes to a new region, not remembering anything from five years ago is pretty standard :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Does Yellow have Growlithe? Totally get one if it does :buddy:

EDIT: Oh right, even if it's not in Yellow there is always cheating :neckbeard:

The only Pokemons I've ever played were Red, Blue, and a dust collecting copy of Platinum I left off in the "gently caress these ghosts and psychics and poo poo :argh:" Gym.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 12, 2015

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
In the end, it's just a dump anime for dumb kids to showcase drat toys (and it's still good at that). That's why I really liked some of the manga adaptations, like The Electric Tale of Pikachu. That one was darker and really good for the first couple of volumes.

There are manga adaptations of the games that apparently are pretty good? Never read them. They change protagonists with each generation of games, so hopefully they avoid the whole "never going to achieve anything" plot trap.

It's a shame that Gamefreak/Nintendo are doomed to forever make the same kinds of games, since some interesting things could be done if they went out of the mold. I'll just come out and say I loved Pokemon Snap as a child.

Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, since I now remember those Conquest and Mystery Dungeon games, those were pretty good too.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Markovnikov posted:

In the end, it's just a dump anime for dumb kids to showcase drat toys (and it's still good at that). That's why I really liked some of the manga adaptations, like The Electric Tale of Pikachu. That one was darker and really good for the first couple of volumes.

There are manga adaptations of the games that apparently are pretty good? Never read them. They change protagonists with each generation of games, so hopefully they avoid the whole "never going to achieve anything" plot trap.

It's a shame that Gamefreak/Nintendo are doomed to forever make the same kinds of games, since some interesting things could be done if they went out of the mold. I'll just come out and say I loved Pokemon Snap as a child.

Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, since I now remember those Conquest and Mystery Dungeon games, those were pretty good too.

The manga you're thinking of is Pokemon Adventures, and it's pretty great. Without straying too far off-topic, the Yellow arc involves the E4 as villains and an entire city getting nuked by Hyper Beams. Also an OC protagonist for Yellow who can triple a Pokemon's levels with the power of friendship or something.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

gently caress you porygon-z owns.

Porygon/Z gets one of my favorite stories told exclusively through the pokedex. Porygon itself isn't very interesting aside from being the only completely man-made Pokemon, but Yellow's dex mentions that people are excited about the potential for Porygon to work in any environment, even space. Porygon2 is an official software upgrade from Sylph co,. designed explicitly for survival in and travel though space, but it isn't able to actually fly and is thus a complete failure. The dex notes that Porygon2's AI is capable of learning new "gestures and emotions" and can "exhibit motions that were not programmed."

Porygon-Z is where the fun begins, because he evolves with a Dubious Disc, which suggests that this is an unoffical hack or upgrade that Sylph didn't authorize. Porygon-Z was designed for survival in and travel through "alien dimensions". But Porygon-Z is apparently also a failure, because every single dex entry on Porygon-Z emphasizes that it's prone to acting "oddly". Except, of course, a learning AI that is capable of traveling to alternate dimensions is going to pick some things up about living in a world where, say, red is a food, or the only living thing to ever exist is Ditto.

Also, I really like Porygon-Z's design. It turned its Porygon2 body upside down, and it detached its neck and turned its head upside down too. Creative!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Markovnikov posted:

The plots of each set of Pokemon games are slowly getting more and more complex, but they are so adamant about sticking to the 8 gyms/Elite 4 routine that its starting to seriously hinder the evolving storylines the games are getting.

Granted it's still a Nintendo property so the villains won't have goals much larger than "Take over/destroy the world" but I'll take what little I can get.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

The plots of each set of Pokemon games are slowly getting more and more complex, but they are so adamant about sticking to the 8 gyms/Elite 4 routine that its starting to seriously hinder the evolving storylines the games are getting.

Granted it's still a Nintendo property so the villains won't have goals much larger than "Take over/destroy the world" but I'll take what little I can get.

The storylines haven't really been getting better so I'm honestly fine without one

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

One thing I want in my dream Pokemon soft-reboot is no real storyline. All the stories have been completely contrived with Teams that get more and more idiotic. Team Rocket was the best Team because they didn't try to do anything stupid or cliched like remake the world in their image or jettison rocket fuel into a volcano. They were just the PokeMafia, and it worked.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Skyridge posted:

One thing I want in my dream Pokemon soft-reboot is no real storyline. All the stories have been completely contrived with Teams that get more and more idiotic. Team Rocket was the best Team because they didn't try to do anything stupid or cliched like remake the world in their image or jettison rocket fuel into a volcano. They were just the PokeMafia, and it worked.

You say that but in the Black and White storyline of the anime, Giovanni actually did try to remake the world in his image using the powers of Meloetta. :v:

Buut, as discussed earlier, the Pokeanime is kinda bad, so yeah, game Team Rocket are the best.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I miss when the game was just about becoming the best there ever was. That's one reason I consider Crystal to be the best pokemon game, because it doesn't shove a stupid storyline in your face, it has a day/night cycle, there's 16 gyms, the legendary pokemon are fun to track down, and catching them all was feasible in one game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Markovnikov posted:

I will take any opportunity to point out that Pokemon Snap is literally goddamn perfect for the Wii U. Fuckin'....hold up the controller to use it like a camera, move that poo poo around with gyros, post that mofo on Miiverse.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

death .cab for qt posted:

I miss when the game was just about becoming the best there ever was. That's one reason I consider Crystal to be the best pokemon game, because it doesn't shove a stupid storyline in your face, it has a day/night cycle, there's 16 gyms, the legendary pokemon are fun to track down, and catching them all was feasible in one game

Catching them all was still completely impossible in one game and required a truly ridiculous amount of trading. The second half of the game is incredibly underwhelming, with constant broken bridges, insane level differences between wild and trained Pokemon, and several cut areas from Gen 1 leading to a Kanto that's somehow even more boring than it was before. The day/night cycle is good, I'll give you that much, but the game overuses its time mechanics to the point that they get annoying, with several things locked in specific days and places and nothing telling you about them.

Also the level curve's hosed to hell and back, as it is in every Johto game, remakes included, making it either a boring as gently caress level grind with super low level mons if you want a full party, or a joke if you're going with one or two Pokemon, and even there you'll lag hard when you get to the massive level spike that is Blue, not to mention Red.

The talk of stupid storylines is hilarious to me because BW were the best games in my opinion, and that was the only time Gamefreak actually bothered with a story. B2W2 removed the story completely and ended up as far worse games thanks to it. XY didn't even reach the level of the previous generation because it couldn't even try to stick to its own plot, not to mention it had a really, really bad pacing throughout the entire game. The idea that Pokemon needs to go back to having no storylines is really weird and seems like pointless whining to me because they already did, there was one game with a plot, not even one full generation. And that game was the best of the series, go figure.

Waffleman_ posted:

I will take any opportunity to point out that Pokemon Snap is literally goddamn perfect for the Wii U. Fuckin'....hold up the controller to use it like a camera, move that poo poo around with gyros, post that mofo on Miiverse.

The fact that this will never happen will always be my biggest problem with Pokemon. C'mon Nintendo, Pokemon Snap U is the best idea!

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Catching them all was still completely impossible in one game and required a truly ridiculous amount of trading.

I think he was still on the subject of legendaries when he said that. I also hate version-exclusive legendaries.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Also just sheer number. 251 is pretty much the perfect number for a healthy amount of pokemon to catch without going insane. Also p much gonna disagree with everything that one dude said, Kanto rules

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

HG/SS Kanto does rule. GSC Kanto is small and boring. I love fighting trainers weaker than the 6th Gym Leader while I'm on my way to fighting the 15th.

I prefer 386, because then you get some cool stuff. But I also like 493, because we get some really cool stuff. But I can't help but like 649, because then there's tons of cool stuff and of course, with 721, we get really cool cool stuff.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm pretty sure they dropped the "Catch em all" slogan after a certain point because of how much time you would have to invest to accomplish that. The more recent gens consider just seeing the Pokemon to be enough for Pokedex completion.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Judge Tesla posted:

No kidding, almost the entire plot for X and Y happens between the last two gyms or something and it's kind of frustrating because at that point you're on a roll and probably want to stomp the gym and suddenly you're forced to detour and do a bunch of really dumb plot stuff, and to be honest X and Y's plot is really dumb, and it feels almost out of place with how sudden most of the plot points happen compared to how the rest of the game progresses.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm pretty sure they dropped the "Catch em all" slogan after a certain point because of how much time you would have to invest to accomplish that. The more recent gens consider just seeing the Pokemon to be enough for Pokedex completion.

There was an article I read a while back, I'm pretty sure I got the link from SA but god knows if I can remember it anymore, about one guy documenting all the poo poo he went through to finally catch them all without cheating. It cost him like over a thousand dollars because he had to buy several different versions, accessories to trade and systems as well as travel to other states to take part in special events to get pokemon. Event pokemon were always kind of lovely to do, I mean it's one thing to give out a surfing pikachu or whatever but when you have a whole pokemon restricted to events that a lot of people flat out can't get to, it's kind of not fun.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nuebot posted:

No kidding, almost the entire plot for X and Y happens between the last two gyms or something and it's kind of frustrating because at that point you're on a roll and probably want to stomp the gym and suddenly you're forced to detour and do a bunch of really dumb plot stuff, and to be honest X and Y's plot is really dumb, and it feels almost out of place with how sudden most of the plot points happen compared to how the rest of the game progresses.

It's hilarious because once it's all over, your friends go "well that happened. See you on the road, I guess." and it's barely mentioned again.

I'll be making a Side Notes of the Western slogan "Gotta Catch 'Em All" which were dropped during localization of Ruby and Sapphire, since between the two games, you couldn't actually catch them all. The slogan hasn't shown up since, other to reference it to pander to nerds that recall how good everything was before they had to grow up and play even better games than the poo poo they played as a kid.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Pokemon is a game that has clicked with me since the moment I turned it on. I remember unboxing Red,I remember I had the purple see through Gameboy, I remember never finishing it because it was hard and I was too young to be good at things. I recently ran through Red on emulator once I'd had the realization that I never actually finished the original game. I'm gonna be sticking to this LP like glue. It's nice to see a really informative Pokemon LP that doesn't bother much with a narrative or characters or forced comedy.

Re: Pokemon X & Y

It's Y and Black 2 that I just flat out don't remember. I beat them both. Hell, in B2 I have a level 100 Pokemon and beat Benga. So it's not like I didn't play them, I just can't say I particularly enjoyed them. I'll admit part of not enjoying Y is totally on me. I'm told you're supposed to leave the Exp. Share on. My guys ended up underleveled very quickly. I am also poo poo at building teams, because I only put cool looking mons on my team. I had 3 Pokemon that were part dark, a dragon, and realized too late that there was no point to Talonflame in a game where I can have Charizard. Basically Fairy types = no fun for SonicRulez. Other than that, they just felt really bland. After reading through the last few updates, sure mechanically Gen 1 has a poo poo TON of issues, but it has an undeniable charm. Something that just wasn't there in Y version. Nintendo still has it though, because I did actually like Alpha Sapphire (not love, but like) despite not really being super fond of Ruby or Emerald in multiple playthroughs of both.

Also, while I would love to Catch Them All, I'd do it in like Gen 2 or some place where it's not complete bullshit. Collecting all 720 Pokemon in one cartridge would require the patience of a saint.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 12, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crosspeice posted:

It's hilarious because once it's all over, your friends go "well that happened. See you on the road, I guess." and it's barely mentioned again.

I'll be making a Side Notes of the Western slogan "Gotta Catch 'Em All" which were dropped during localization of Ruby and Sapphire, since between the two games, you couldn't actually catch them all. The slogan hasn't shown up since, other to reference it to pander to nerds that recall how good everything was before they had to grow up and play even better games than the poo poo they played as a kid.

I'd just like to mention that I actually did get them all in red and blue and it's totally not worth it. Me and my friends spent hours with those awful gameboy cables trading, evolving pokemon and getting hyped wondering what the reward would be, assuming it would be Mew. I think the last pokemon was a Flarion. Turns out it's just a certificate anyway, after that we decided not to bother trading everything back and forth again so everyone would get them all and never did it since.

In X and Y I beat the whole game with one Beldum/Metang/Metagross as soon as I could trade and only caught things for HMs.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm told you're supposed to leave the Exp. Share on. My guys ended up underleveled very quickly.

If you leave it on you wind up with over levelled pokemon and the game becomes an absolute cakewalk. X and Y kind of bungled the difficulty curve.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The main point of trading in RBY is Alakazam. To be fair, that's a pretty good point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Catching them all in general is never really worth it. It's a pain that requires heavy trading and time investment, with no actual reward other than self-satisfaction.

...which didn't stop me from catching them all in Gen VI, and having one of each species in my box, of course. Something I could never be arsed to do before. Apparently I enjoy the challenge.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Nuebot posted:

I'd just like to mention that I actually did get them all in red and blue and it's totally not worth it.

I did it in Platinum and it's also not worth it. I also went all the way and got the black trainer card. Which, again, was not worth it.

I think a friend of mine completed the Pokedex in either Y or Omega Ruby? Can't quite remember which one, but yeah that's some next level insanity. Although GTS and online trading make it a lot easier, but still.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have a complete Pokedex on AS since I can Bank them up to future gens. Otherwise it's a hassle to move things up and really not worth it.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Catching them all in Red and Blue sucked, especially if you took the "all" part too far.

I was working nights in a call center when R&B came out. I actually bought both games and a link cable and borrowed one of the other guy's GameBoy, and started a new game in my Red cartridge, got it to the point I could trade, and would trade the starters to my Blue cartridge. But I wanted all 150 physically in the boxes, not just checked off in the Pokedex, so I had to do that, like, 8 times. Then multiple times for all the others that were Red cart exclusive, so I could train them up and evolve them.

I had way too much time on my hands at night, because I did it. I had all 150 Pokemon in my Blue cart.

The crowning moment, though, was when a friend who worked at Toys R Us told me they had an official Mew event at their store, and he'd hook me up with an official Mew.

I had done it. I had literally caught them ALL, and I'd done it without any cheating. I think I still have that Blue cart around here somewhere.

But then, then changed up hardware, and you couldn't trade your Pokemon from R/B/Y to some of the newer gen carts.

So much time wasted...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Tomorrow's Side Notes will be focusing on how much of an influence Satoru Iwata was on this franchise, as much as I can find. It doesn't exactly fit with Gen 1, but it's the least I can do for such an amazing man who has basically changed gaming forever and made Nintendo into the wonderful company it is today.

Rest In Peace

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Nuebot posted:

If you leave it on you wind up with over levelled pokemon and the game becomes an absolute cakewalk. X and Y kind of bungled the difficulty curve.

Nah, the point of the new exp share was so that you could actually have this huge collection of pokes that you can use without having to stop to grind a lot. I had a rotating team of, like, 20 different duders that I was keeping around the same level and I was always one or two levels behind trainers and gym leaders, as it should be. No one having more than 4 pokemon except for the champ and your rival DOES sort of screw up the difficulty, because you always have a sheer numbers advantage otherwise, but I never really had a level advantage at least.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Glad to see I'm not the only one that remembers Snap fondly. I just liked the whole pseudo-naturalist thing it had going on, with observing pokeys in their natural habitat and many of their behaviors. What can I say, even as a kid I was a boring scientist.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Catching them all was still completely impossible in one game and required a truly ridiculous amount of trading. The second half of the game is incredibly underwhelming, with constant broken bridges, insane level differences between wild and trained Pokemon, and several cut areas from Gen 1 leading to a Kanto that's somehow even more boring than it was before. The day/night cycle is good, I'll give you that much, but the game overuses its time mechanics to the point that they get annoying, with several things locked in specific days and places and nothing telling you about them.

As a kid, revisiting the areas I had spent so much time in in R/B/Y was loving awesome. They were devoid of a lot of things, but it was clearly a fun extra that they had managed to tack on.

Cythereal posted:

The main point of trading in RBY is Alakazam. To be fair, that's a pretty good point.

I can't imagine how it would have felt back then when you traded your pokemon away and oh suddenly it's evolving whatttt. Also the ensuing fight to get it back from your friend.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Markovnikov posted:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that remembers Snap fondly. I just liked the whole pseudo-naturalist thing it had going on, with observing pokeys in their natural habitat and many of their behaviors. What can I say, even as a kid I was a boring scientist.

As a kid, it also felt genuinely neat seeing some of those environments and figuring out how to progress until running into Mew.

quote:

I can't imagine how it would have felt back then when you traded your pokemon away and oh suddenly it's evolving whatttt. Also the ensuing fight to get it back from your friend.

I was lucky - my dad was playing it, not my friend. :v: He still plays the series, I stopped following with RSE.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Rest in Peace Satoru Iwata

To anyone who doesn't know, on July 11th 2015, Nintendo's CEO and President Satoru Iwata passed away at 55 due to an unexpected complication in his bile duct cancer. I was listening to the Chip stream of MGS2 while I was typing out Update 8, when someone posted a link to the official PDF announcing the news. I kinda just stopped for a second, rasied an eyebrow and thought "Really? No, it can't be." But then it dawned that it could be true, it could be something that could've happened. And when a few more people confirmed it, I was floored. My heart sunk, I had to check the forums. And there in the Wii U thread, people were posting about it. It was real.

Celebrity deaths don't particularly affect me, the past few years I've become less and less connected to television and books and music so I don't have much of a vested interest to specific people, unless I really like their stuff or have watched a lot of films or television relating to them. So I was upset when Leonard Nimoy, or Sir Christopher Lee died, because they've been a part of my life for a long time. And now they're not. It's very strange, sometimes I forget and just think they're doing whatever, since I don't keep my ear to the ground for stuff like this. Until I remember that they're no longer with us. And it sucks. It just sucks.

So because of how crushed I feel and how much I think it just sucks, I know that Satoru Iwata was a big part of my life. He more or less created my childhood, like he did for millions of children all around the world. He's been with Nintendo for a long time and has shaped the company into what it is today. It has not been financially successful, that is true. But the games they make are unrivaled. They have that magic that while doesn't make them huge profit, has the ridiculous quality you just know will be there regardless. Plenty companies are stiff suits doing exactly what they know will get them big numbers. But Nintendo? Who the gently caress knows? They do what they want, make what they want, design what they want. And they will always have a fan in me because of that.

Since this is a Pokemon LP, I should talk about what Iwata did for this franchise. He influenced two major games: Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Gold and Silver. He created the template for Stadium out of fun, really, without anyone knowing. And it was really good, because he was really good. It was also the kind of thing he just did, swoop in, do a bit of this, sort a thing out here, touch up this and then leave everyone with the makings of a successful game. Shigeru Miyamoto made Generation 1 possible. Satoru Iwata made Generation 2 possible. He came up with ways to compress the game so that they could fit two regions in it. That's an impressive feat for the time. I know I talked poo poo about it yesterday since it wasn't perfect, but for the time, that is amazing. NO other Pokemon game has done that. And they may never do so again.

So because of that technology marvel, it allowed me to experience my childhood. I believe that Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle is the first video game I ever played. But Pokemon Silver was THE game I played. I got both it and Blue for my birthday from my Gran along with a Gameboy Colour and I just couldn't stop playing them. So much so that my GBC was basically a Pokemon machine, I played more or less nothing else. I have very few Gameboy or GBA games leftover because all I did was played Pokemon. And with my GBA, I could play it in the dark, so I played it even more! These games shaped my life and how I play games and why I have this LP here for you, because for so many years Pokemon was such a huge part of my life that it's just so easy. I can play this game and just slip into Gen 1 mode and know more or less everything about the game. It's insane.

And it is because of Satoru Iwata. And because of him I have played Nintendo games all my life. He has shaped a company that makes so many wonderful games that I will continue to play until I too join him on that flagpole in the sky. Nintendo will not be the same without him and I hope they continue in his direction, to create games for all ages that anyone can enjoy and be together and have fun. I have unfortunately not been able to buy a Wii U, I have focused on my 3DS and my LPs and will need to buy a new Laptop when I get student finance. But for my second payment in January, I am buying a Wii U, along with Mario 3D World, Xenodblade X, Splatoon and Yoshi's Wooly World. I wish I could buy more but I'll probably run out of money at that point, so I will save up and get a 3DS Cap- er, even more Wii U games and have fun playing excellent titles from an amazing company.

This is a huge loss for gaming and the collective medium will never be the same again. All I can do is keep playing. And I will. Because in my heart, I am a gamer.

Rest In Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update #06: Mt. Moon

Alright, here's the big one. Pokemon can spawn anywhere. And we have no way of stopping them. My god...

#041: Zubat

Hrmmmmmm.

Zubat's single trick of the trade. Leech Life (Kyūketsu: Suck Blood) is like, one of three attacking Bug moves and the worst one. And that's saying something.

This has, and never will, see the light of day.

Oh hey, Technical Machines. We'll start seeing a lot of them. 50 to be precise. I may get all of them, but I don't know if there's room...

They're disks and you, uh, turn them on? Then you put them in a Pokemon's mouth? Look, the remakes tried to explain it and just raised further questions. It's magic, okay?

Not that anything I have can learn it. Water Gun (Mizu Deppō) is a fairly basic Water move that does what you need in this part of the game. But by the time you get here, your Squirtle should know this, or be just about to, so this TM is a bit pointless.

Oh yeah, we also have this bad move. Most things can learn it, but it's bad, so they won't.

"What about you?"

I'm real sick of Bug Catchers.

"TEAM ROCKET!"

Why would the Mafia be exploring a cave? You're crazy, man.

Always loads of free stuff lying around. Yoink!

"find me here."

No officer, I- oh whatever.

Oh hey, it's the thing that could've been the mascot.

#035: Clefairy

When I get my Mankey out, everyone loses.

"fossils here."

Oh, I didn't know yo momma was here.

Bats aside, there are multiple floors??? Man, this is hard to wrap my head around.

Great, another Zubat

:eyepop:

5%

Well that was unexpected. Saves me having to hunt one down later.

Well, onwards I guess.

Neat, time to shove a ball in a ball.

...is that a ninja?

"gangsters!"

WATCH OUT HE'S GOT A WEAPON!

Oh wait we just fight using our pets like always.

I'm not feeling too intimidated.

Oh, never mind. Supersonic (Chōonpa: Ultrasound) is pretty inaccurate, but will Confuse the Pokemon.

O-Okay, I'll just keep being lucky then.

"stand for this!"

I'll beat you all up then. And steal your lunch money. Seriously I need it for my catching habits.

Ah, our first Vitamin. HP Up (or Max Up) is the same in every game, raising EVs (or Stat Exp in this case) of a certain stat. But instead of just 10 EVs in Gen 3 onwards, it's 2560 Stat Exp in Gens 1 and 2, but doesn't affect Pokemon that have more than 25600 Stat Exp in one stat.

After an eventful trip back, we're on the main level again.

I- okay, sorry...

#081: Magnemite

#100: Voltorb

I only made a gif since I like the effect of going to -2. It's really cool.

Neat. Now I can annoy everything forever. Double Team (Kage Bunshin: Shadow Divide) is an infuriating move that increases your Evade and makes you much harder to hit.

Just train the ones you have, they'll be good. Eventually.

Booty! Rare Candy (Mysterious Candy) will permanently increase your level by 1. Very nice, very rare. Oh yeah, Potion is Wound Medicine. And while I remember, Paralyze Heal is Paralysis Heal and Awakening is Drowsiness Cure.

"CERULEAN CITY!"

Anyway, let's fight some more bugs.

Lovely.

Zubat are the last thing on my-

-mind.

Hmm, this thing looks useful. Surely I would use it in a perilous situation. Escape Rope (Hole-Escape Rope) warps you out of any cave to the entrance.

If only I could escape from this hell.

"than I thought!"

Hellllllllp.

#043: Oddish

It's one of them walking 'erbs, they're in my garden, I swear! Absorb (Suitoru) is a very weak Grass move that should only be used on 4x weak Pokemon.

Alright, a good Fig- oh wait, it's Normal in this game. Whyyyyyyyy?

#069: Bellsprout

Man, all the plants are walking today. Growth (Seichō) is one of the few moves to increase Special. As in, it's the less broken one.

It looks trippy and it's devilishly useful, but really, I could just attack things instead.

One day I'll figure it out.

One day...

Sigh...

More Mafia to beat up.

Hmm, tempting. Mega Punch (Megaton Panchi: Megaton Punch) is a pretty powerful Normal move. Just wondering if I should save it for later. I'll probably teach it to Mankey, but I dunno.

"Get lost kid!"

Only because you're rubbish, mate.

Well I was going to give it to you, but not after being so rude!

I'll instead dig out some drugs from the rocks. Ether (PP Aid) restores 10PP to a single move. Useful if you only have, like, one attacking move. Which you might do, let's be honest.

Why don't they sell Repel at Pewter City? I'm real peeved.

Pleeeeease don't be a Bug Catcher.

Good. Now I can be tired of Rattata instead.

So Karate Chop (Karate Choppu) is for whatever reason a Normal move. But, it has an increased critical hit chance. Combined with Mankey's high speed and we'll be seeing this a lot. Just a shame I can't wreck tons with this... (I actually think it's a 100% chance, but I'll properly calculate it later)

"girls."

Goooood luck with that.

"just a kid!"

I'm fighting off hoardes of vampire bats, don't mock me.

It's an exp machine.

"here!"

Says the loser of the pet fight.

Hmm...

Might as well, right?

This is this game's blink animation :gonk:

#036: Clefable

If I'm not using them on my team, then I'll just shove stones in faces. Gotta get them sweet dex spaces!

Always gotta ruin the mood, don't ya?

This is more or less all of the first two floors, so now let's properly explore the bottom!

You'd think there'd be something here, but there isn't.

I'm glad we're nearly done with this place.

Fun fact, this guy has a Raticate in Red and Blue, but they decided to make things easier for all these casuals.

"people came."

Ah, this must be Philosopher Rocket. They're like Mr. Men.

An encounter...

...then gently caress all for a couple minutes. I'm almost offended.

Pick this up, or you'll only have 3 of the 4 you'll need. But not in this game, you can miss one out. We'll see later.

#046: Paras

Now this is what I'm looking for. To catch. Not actually use.

"not attack!"

Grr, Stun Spore (Shibire Gona: Numbing Powder) isn't too accurate, but will Paralyze your Pokemon. And me without a Paralyze Heal.

I hate how good this status is.

Payback, bitch! And to, uh, increase my chances. Yeah.

And that's everything. Let's get out of here.

I'm not a fan of the status, but I can't do anything about it. Sorry buddy.

"both mine!"

I was only gonna take both of them!

#088: Grimer

Hah, nice try. Disable (Kanashibari: Temporary Binding) will stop one of your moves from working for a time. It's horribly inaccurate, but can stop you using a move for 6 turns. It's annoying.

:mad: Pound (Hataku: Strike) is another one of those weak Normal moves that just does some damage. It's only notable if it crits.

#109: Koffing

Now I'm really coughing.

So Smog (Sumoggu) is another bad, bad move that actually has a good chance to Poison. Thankfully it didn't. (Since I'm paralyzed, you see)

Glad you see it my way. Though still give me the other one.

"No being greedy!"

Alright time to leave it to a thread vo-

Oh wait, we already did that.

: They do research on regenerating fossils.

Let's go, everything's dying. Including the fossil.

Oh goddamn it!

: That fossil is TEAM ROCKET's!

: Surrender now or prepare to fight!

:siren:I AM BAD AT VIDEO GAMES FOR BABIES:siren:

...sorry.

Let's do this properly.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, let's go.

We haven't missed out on the battle, blacking out (or whiting out in even numbered generations), just sends you to the previous Pokemon Center with half of your money. It sucks, but it happens.

gently caress yoooooooou

#052: Meowth

As we saw in the video, Bite (Kamitsuku) is an alright Normal move that's available for those who need it. It will become a lot better next gen, but I can say that about a lot of things.

Ah, that feels good.

Obviously, this is Jessie and James, or Musashi and Kojiro. They replace some Rocket grunts throughout the story.

"of light!"

This won't be the last we've seen of them, but thankfully it won't be in the next update. For the next 18 years.

And we are done with this-

gently caress You.

Ah the mountain air. It's only a quick walk to Cerulean.

Little hidden ball for those who still have energy left to go looking.

Yaaaaay. Whirlwind (Fuki Tobashi: Blow Away) is a pretty bad move in this gen. It ends wild battles and does nothing in Trainer battles. That won't stop them using it though.

We'll be seeing you later.

Now we can't go back, we are stuck here for now.

COLOUR!

And we finally made it. Thank god.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 20, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The excellnt Kevinformatics IMDB episode score grapher paints an interesting picture.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
RIP Iwata. :( To elaborate on the whole Gen 2 thing, Game Freak wasn't the best at programming, so Johto didn't actually fit on the cartridge at all. I think the game was actually half finished when it took up the whole thing. Then Iwata compressed it to a point where Kanto could fit on it.

Clefairy's my personal favorite Pokemon, although it took a while for Clefable get relevant in multiplayer. Here's a nickname, ARIA for Clefable. (Clefairy's prototype name.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meowth isn't much good, but in RBY its evolution is a terror due to the way crits work off of speed. Persian is very fast, slash has an enhanced crit chance to begin with, and persian gets STAB with it. A slasher persian may be a one trick pony, but it's a really good trick in this game.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I cried manly tears. My first game ever was Kirby. Iwata, I will miss you, I thank you for a wonderful childhood, as Silver was the first Pokémon I played. Supersonic, has I think 55 accuracy. It hits far more than you'd think...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SystemLogoff posted:

The Orange Islands is the only time Ash won something.

Then he returns home and his Mother uses it as a weight for lifting.

Then like the GS ball, it is dropped and never spoken of again, like the filler it was. :v:

Hey, he also beat the Battle Frontier. <:mad:> And it only took him three tries and one possession!

Man, the TRio are so useless to this game but I love them so in the anime. Other than Jimmy Zoppi/Billy Beach's writing for them in Sinnoh. Or in both versions in Unova. Which was so bad, in the pilot for the radio show the TRio had back in Japan a while back complained about it.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Crosspeice posted:

Rest In Peace, Satoru Iwata.

I'm not going to cry, I'm not going to cry, I'm... okay, yeah, I'm crying. Good write up, man.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I love the Water Gun TM. It has two advantages: One, so many early-game species can learn it, and two, the move itself is terrible so you don't feel obliged to save the TM.

I usually throw Water Gun on my early-game Rattata to help it bust Geodudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Sorites posted:

I love the Water Gun TM. It has two advantages: One, so many early-game species can learn it, and two, the move itself is terrible so you don't feel obliged to save the TM.

I usually throw Water Gun on my early-game Rattata to help it bust Geodudes.

Hold on. Ratatta can learn it? Was Joey on to something?

• Locked thread