Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oh man, this is gonna be great :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

And if he didn't moderator approval, nobody should ban him because he isn't creepy or treading over failed attempts at comedy. This is Cool and Good, and I laugh every time there's a translation note, which is probably the keikaku*

*TN: "keikaku" means "you already know this punchline"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Helix fossil for sure. Also, names!

Pikachu: Mouserat
Mankey: Pacquiao

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Welp, in that case, call the Nidoran couple "MR DONGS" and "MRS DONGS".

:agreed:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

NAME THAT METAPOD BONER

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Why the gently caress would you post that

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I miss when the game was just about becoming the best there ever was. That's one reason I consider Crystal to be the best pokemon game, because it doesn't shove a stupid storyline in your face, it has a day/night cycle, there's 16 gyms, the legendary pokemon are fun to track down, and catching them all was feasible in one game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Also just sheer number. 251 is pretty much the perfect number for a healthy amount of pokemon to catch without going insane. Also p much gonna disagree with everything that one dude said, Kanto rules

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

theshim posted:

Speaking of which, name that Bulbasaur WEEDLORD, because we are all actually five years old.

:420:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mr skeltal

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Barons

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I noticed that our Metapid wasn't named BONER :colbert:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

The Caterpie no one nicknamed is the one that evolved into Butterfree. The Metapod called BONER is still in the PC box.

I have never been happier, bless :peanut:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

:confused: I don't get it.

Google (or Bing, but NOT DuckDuckgo) "Bill Cosby Quaaludes"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, the popular fan theory is "you killed his Raticate :qq:" but it's pretty clear in Yellow he's just trying to catch Em all before you do, and he's swapped out his Ratata for a better* team overall

*lmbo his team sucks

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kick kick kick

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gyms are pretty clearly specialized teams that have a Gym Leader who teaches their underlings how to effectively use their Pokemon for combat, with a focus on a particular type. It's very possible that all the Pokemon used are owned by the Leader, and the trainers are simply borrowing Pokemon to fight challengers of the gym and apply what they learn. The player character sort of does this, but it's fighting the trainers to learn how to best combat that type, and learn what to avoid

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My main counter argument is that these are children's games, and while some kids like the idea of a game letting them explore but punishing them for going too far off the beaten path, the majority of kids don't want that and they will lambast the game for punishing exploration. It becomes all or nothing, and I feel like Pokemon works really, really well in its current linear form.

I would rather see more content after the main game, like in G/S/C, rather than trying to make an open world Pokemon game. Give me a PVE reason to level up my mons to level 100 over a very gradual difficulty curve. Let me re explore old areas or add in bonus post game areas. Give me more interesting trainer fights like Blue, where they aren't a gimmick trainer that picks one type. Give me Elite 4 rematches. Just add more content

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nessie :3:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pokemon, much like Dark Souls, has thought and effort put into the smallest of details, even something as minor as why a trainer is standing in a specific spot. I'd like to hear your interpretation of the Pokemon Lore and piece together the mystery of why certain Rockets can be found standing in certain places of Silph Co.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

get drunk at 4 am and commentate on it like the one unedited video from the mario 64 feet thread

It's pretty much a guarantee that as long as there's beer involved, Vicas will comment on anything

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What's wrong with feebas?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Quite possibly the best games, too. Love those versions

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I vote we name our FarFetch'D: "Plausibill"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I did. And my pun stands.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm going to defend the anime here.

Ash is a flawed character in that he always wants to be the best. Which he is, for the most part. He isn't the best battler, he's just a kid with a sense of adventure that loves exploring new areas with the lofty ambition to be the champion, but he shouldn't ever be the champ, because he isn't the person with the most coldly calculated team with the best moves and whatnot. Ash has evolved into a character which resolves conflict, an ultimately great mediator that has helped stop several world-ending events that involve in some way taming or reconciling with Legendary Pokemon.

When you look at his actions across the series and movies, he's the best at making friends, both Pokemon and human, and exploring everywhere because he has that thirst for adventure. He excels at being a tamer (with exception of his charizard at first) and being determined, which are lessons being taught to children who watch the show.

It's a way for the writers to lay it out for the kids that watch the show that failure doesn't matter as long as you try. You should always explore, always make friends, always try to be the best even if you don't succeed. Ash will probably never win a championship, and I don't think he ever should. His moments of glory are when he excels at being a Tamer, not a Trainer. Trying to change that still opens up various means of teaching kids lessons, sure, but the fact that Ash is so much like the kids who never catch them all or never beat the games is admirable.

It's a convenient way to continue the series, sure, but I like the way it always shakes out. Ash fucks up, often, but he never gives up. Anything other than that cuts the legs out from under his established character, flaws and all. His main arc, of overcoming those flaws, will be what ultimately ends the series, and I think it would be the best ending for Ash to realize that what he wants to do all along isn't win the League in any region, but to just realize that what he wants to do in life may not involve being a League Champion, but instead be somebody that loves and takes Pokemon. He's basically destined to be the next Professor Oak: he vies to study, understand, and tame Pokemon, not necessarily be the best at battling with them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

4!. I'm not sure what this means but I assume lower means more difficult :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

They are roleplaying lite games made for children. The difficulty should be low.

The entire game is open enough for a player to voluntarily make it harder on themselves through various means

• Locked thread