Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this old guy had an honest to goodness hook hand. there were two hooks kinda next too each other.

sort of like this but without any manipulating apparatus or grippy pads, just two iron hooks. it was grim and weird but not badass, because he walked with a cane and was a feeble old man. all in all i was pretty disappointed to finally meets someone with a for real hook hand who is barely ambulatory and not cool at all.

i bet it was diabetes and not ashark, alligator, crocodile, lion, tiger, or jaguar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I guess the younger generation is so infrequently exposed to hook hands that they're an oddity now. Sounds like the world's becoming a better place.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Frog Act posted:

this old guy had an honest to goodness hook hand. there were two hooks kinda next too each other.

sort of like this but without any manipulating apparatus or grippy pads, just two iron hooks. it was grim and weird but not badass, because he walked with a cane and was a feeble old man. all in all i was pretty disappointed to finally meets someone with a for real hook hand who is barely ambulatory and not cool at all.

i bet it was diabetes and not ashark, alligator, crocodile, lion, tiger, or jaguar.

Those hands have to use that cable to open or close the hooks and that usually requires the cable to wrap around the back of the neck and attach to the other shoulder so it can be manipulated by the other arm. And that can be horrible if both hands are missing.

Those 3D printed hands you keep hearing about tend to operate the same way, but the fingers can be adjusted individually then connected to the cable or just tied down closed for holding objects.

On a similar note, I saw a guy on the subway who had an external fixation apparatus for a bone fracture he got being hit by a car. I didn't even think that stuff was still in use because it requires drilling through skin and bone which could cause infection.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Those hands have to use that cable to open or close the hooks and that usually requires the cable to wrap around the back of the neck and attach to the other shoulder so it can be manipulated by the other arm. And that can be horrible if both hands are missing.

Those 3D printed hands you keep hearing about tend to operate the same way, but the fingers can be adjusted individually then connected to the cable or just tied down closed for holding objects.

On a similar note, I saw a guy on the subway who had an external fixation apparatus for a bone fracture he got being hit by a car. I didn't even think that stuff was still in use because it requires drilling through skin and bone which could cause infection.

with all that in mind i wonder why would someone opt for the old-fashioned unadorned hook

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if i were that guy i would go out to makeout peak and scrape my hook across a teenager's hood.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

...op where on earth do you live that you've never seen a hook hand before?

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Frog Act posted:

with all that in mind i wonder why would someone opt for the old-fashioned unadorned hook

yeah i wonder why old people dont have enough money to buy new things

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Frog Act posted:

if i were that guy i would go out to makeout peak and scrape my hook across a teenager's hood.

i do this anyway

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

opus111 posted:

this guy lives on.a pirate ship and hes not afraid to tell it like it is

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

opus111 posted:

i live in Virginia and while it's possible I have seen hook hands before, and not noticed them, I feel like most people use less culturally loaded prosthetics

huskarl_marx posted:

yeah i wonder why old people dont have enough money to buy new things

i dunno he seemed like an affluent dude

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the same thing! He was working the tool rental at my local Home Depot

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Volume posted:

I saw the same thing! He was working the tool rental at my local Home Depot

that seems very outgoing for a person with his condition, i wonder what practical uses for his hook-hand he has developed around the store

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

opus111 posted:

I've never seen one and I've been a sailor and a fisherman for most of my life.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
I played pool against a guy with one of those a while ago

TheViciousMrPim
Jul 3, 2015

Frog Act posted:

i live in Virginia and while it's possible I have seen hook hands before, and not noticed them, I feel like most people use less culturally loaded prosthetics

i dunno he seemed like an affluent dude

Wealthy people often won't spend money they don't see a need to spend. He probably has had that hook for years. He's used to it. So he just keeps it. A new fancy hand would seem like a waste of money to him. Like if he drove a serviceable car even though he could afford any new one.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
The bartender at a clubhouse I went to had this hand. he was about 30 and lost it in a motorcycle accident. He was very bad rear end.
That is my hook hand story. Thank You

TheViciousMrPim
Jul 3, 2015
There used to be this guy, idk ~50, where I used to work with one. He would come in every so often with a team that came in to pull fiber in the data center. I was at the grocery store one day and I saw the same guy working in the meat dept. He was working two jobs w that hook. Pretty amazing really.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've got a prosthetic leg. I've often considered making myself a old school peg leg from one of my old legs but I'm really bad at carpentry. Also it would probably be really awkward to walk on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It might be more utilitarian than something that will protect bystanders' precious feelings and make them less uncomfortable.

There was a guy that worked at a local department store for years who had one of the pincer-type hook hands. I'm guessing it was more useful than some mannequin hand thing would've been.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've got a prosthetic leg. I've often considered making myself a old school peg leg from one of my old legs but I'm really bad at carpentry. Also it would probably be really awkward to walk on.

whats up replacement body part buddy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Edit: Redacted - you probably aren't the guy I knew.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 7, 2015

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

On shore

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

On shore

plenty of people in this thread are sharing their hook hand stories, it seems that im not alone in finding them a regular and comforting sight.

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

I guy in my hometown had two hook hands. He lost them fishing with dynamite...

on two separate occasions.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Is op Richard Kimble?

Where is your wife op?

TheViciousMrPim
Jul 3, 2015

FreudianSlippers posted:

Make a peg leg w the bottom half a pogo stick.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I used to work with a guy who had a hook hand like that. He rode motorcycles too, had to modify them so he could ride one-handed but he was pretty badass.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I saw one too a couple of days ago. What the gently caress? Are these guys taking over? We've gotta come up with ways to trip these guys up just in case.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

I used to work with a guy who had a hook hand like that. He rode motorcycles too, had to modify them so he could ride one-handed but he was pretty badass.

He also had a panther tattoo on his back!?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It might be more utilitarian than something that will protect bystanders' precious feelings and make them less uncomfortable.

There was a guy that worked at a local department store for years who had one of the pincer-type hook hands. I'm guessing it was more useful than some mannequin hand thing would've been.

how is a hook practical and utilitarian

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Frog Act posted:

how is a hook practical and utilitarian

You could carry a six-pack with it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A bunch of landlubbers in this thread.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

This guy lives in my town and has a double hook hand.

He also paints/draws things with his mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMlxoLegYV4

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

a telescopic golf ball retriever would be cool

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.
don't hookshame op

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Frog Act posted:

as far as prosthetics go, they're pretty normal replacements for hands

advanced robotic hands notwithstanding, they're easier to use to manipulate things than anything actually resembling a hand would be

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
hook hand less weird than like those fake prosthetic hands because you know what it is right away

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
personally I can't wait to get all aug'ed up

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

opus111 posted:

hhahahah what the gently caress

i didnt know UK healthcare was in such bad shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

personally I can't wait to get all aug'ed up

Arrrrgmentations

didn't ask for this, me hearties

• Locked thread