Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Almost everybody there that day took a moment to do something to his food. Including the manager. I was one of two people that didn't but we agreed that it wasn't going to get reported. Trust me, I was very tempted to add my own special flavor to the meal.

What exactly were the 'somethings'? Anything particularly creative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Soul Reaver posted:

What exactly were the 'somethings'? Anything particularly creative?

Nah, it was the regular stuff. Pretty much what you'd expect. Well except jizz.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Doom Rooster posted:

One time a stoned fry cook dropped his phone in the fryer, which would have been bad enough from the smell of the plastic, and having to take the fyer offline for the night to cool down, drain and super clean it, however... The cook's immediate reaction was to try to catch it before it hit the bottom of the fryer. He plunged his hand in and got about a third of the way through his forearm before he snapped back to reality. He had 3 massive blisters filled with fluid that covered pretty much every inch that was submerged. Before they took him to the hospital, you could watch them jiggle when he moved, like a jell-o mold on a shaking table.

Apparently, people shoving their hands into deepfryers to retrieve items is distressingly common.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I met one guy who worked in one of those sorta meh franchise sit in restaurants. Tony romas. He claimed to gently caress with any orders from people he recognized who paid less than 15 percent tips. Everyone else present called him out on it, but he kept trying to defend it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've worked a lot of food service, and the job sucks. I'm working food service right now. If you are the kind of dick head who wants to spit in someone's hamburger or whatever, gently caress you. My pay is low as gently caress and the job is miserable, but we also serve $1 hamburgers to poor people that have their own problems. Wiping your crusty dick on someone's mcdouble for whatever reason just means you are a jackass.

If someone is being difficult with you or your co-workers, find others ways to cope than trying to trick that person into your eating your semen.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Jul 9, 2015

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I worked in a kitchen for ~2 years. I'm happy that my current job pays better, is easier, and I never have to work double shifts. I do miss it sometimes. You could walk 20 feet to the bar and grab a drink with all the other kitchen staff when it's 1:30 AM and you all smell like grease and bleach and you really need a drink. Even if we would get really pissed off at each other during the big rushes, at the end of the night everyone was buddies again and you'd go drink and smoke and shoot the poo poo before going home to shower and pass out. Being able to snag some weed (or coke or molly or shrooms if that was your cup of tea) from one of your coworkers who is a dealer is convenient too. One guy on the line found the magic blind spot at the end of the line where no cameras where pointed. Now and then he'd take a hit off his pipe and exhale into the hood over the griddle. Ninja weedlord.

Anyway, to the horror stories. One of the line cooks cut a drat big chunk of his thumb off (the fleshy pad, about 3/4 the length of your thumb nail) and just took a 10 minute break to squeeze it dry before raiding the first aid cabinet and double-gloving it to finish the shift. What a trooper. Imagine that latex glove full of blood popping open all over the pans full of prepped food though... :unsmigghh:

One of our FoH managers did plenty of coke and drank his share while on the clock. when things got hectic he would be very agitated.. for some reason... He flipped out and dragged two new waitresses to the kitchen to top-of-his-lungs yell at them while slamming his palms on the countertops. It was enough that dudes were coming off the line to gawk at him. He was replaced the next day with a new manager.

We never hosed with customers' food, but if they sent a steak back three times the grill guy would yell THREE STRIKES YER OUT and just send them back the exact same steak without even putting it back on the grill. And keep doing it when they sent it back again. Until they took their steak and shut the gently caress up. If someone is sitting there grilling meat for 12 hours and yours is the only one that isn't cooked right and it's cooked wrong over and over no matter what then maybe the problem is you. A medium rare is a medium rare, it doesn't mean "the way I think a medium rare should be." Also the imperfect steaks couldn't be sent out to another customer, so when one of those asswipes would waste the staff's time and the restuarant's money that meant everyone in the kitchen had steak to take home at the end of the night.

There was a really gross dishwasher who would eat food scraps off of dirty dishes before washing them. Just a big fistful of soggy cold fries or an uneaten chicken tender or whatever. I saw him eating "the clean parts" of a giant pile o' chili cheese fries from the top of the dishpit trashcan once. He never got sick from them though. :shrug:

Oh yeah one time someone on the line left a chef knife on the counter with the blade facing up. Someone else whipped around from the saute range to grab something and stopped dead cold in his tracks. He lifted his arm and the knife was dug nice and deep in his palm, all the way across. He shook is hand and it didn't fall out. "Takin' my 15 guys." He was gauzed up and ready for work when he came back, but did like a 10 minute soliloquy on proper knife safety with lots of "you fucken idiot" and "retard" as he was cooking.

Most of the fuckin' around we did was harmless stuff like taking the foamy scum out of the potato peeler after doing a batch. Put that foam on a fancy desert plate, top with whipped cream, drizzle of caramel, and a cherry. Just leave it sitting on the desert counter and watch how many people look at it and almost try a bite. Or dipping a freshly gloved hand into the tub of ranch dressing from the salad station, then holding it behind your back and ask for a high five. As soon as someone raises their hand you just give them the biggest slamminest high five you can, and they are covered in splatters of ranch. also, folding all the table linens so they look like dicks (grill guy was really good at this) and stuffing them back into the FoH prep area at the end of the night. Also it was almost mandatory to grab an olive from salad on your way back from a smoke break and sneak it down the back of someone's shirt. Good times.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Jul 9, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Firstborn posted:

I've worked a lot of food service, and the job sucks. I'm working food service right now. If you are the kind of dick head who wants to spit in someone's hamburger or whatever, gently caress you. My pay is low as gently caress and the job is miserable, but we also serve $1 hamburgers to poor people that have their own problems. Wiping your crusty dick on someone's mcdouble for whatever reason just means you are a jackass.

If someone is being difficult with you or your co-workers, find others ways to cope than trying to trick that person into your eating your semen.

I completely agree with you. However, I can understand why that sort of thing happens. Food service workers are some of the most overworked, underpaid, and abused workers out there, both by their managers and company, and shitheads who have got in their head that food service workers are subhuman. Given how impossible it seems to a lot of people to push back against the company, a lot of people will end up lashing out at customers, as they are within reach. Of course, this still doesn't make it acceptable. As you said, the people they are lashing out at have their own problems and lives, and are not the real source of most of their abuse.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ADVENTURES OF ME AS A PART-TIMER IN A UK CINEMA CHAIN

Ice Cream

Me: hello experienced employee, i am eager and ready to help

Experienced Employee: i am Edward Llewellyn-Weatherford, but call me Fish

Me: hi fish

Fish: i hope we get people ordering milkshakes today

Me: why

Fish: [points at cctv] you see that there? yeah. and how there is a blind spot below it, right where you have to walk from our storefront to the backroom to do the backroom stuff like stock ice cream, clean utensils, cry, etc

Me: ok, i am confused but ok

Customer: i have arrived, i will order the milkshake, where you put in two scoops of ice cream and some toppings into a blender, and pour full cream milk in, then blend until it is nice and smooth

Fish: here comes your milkshake, poured into a paper cup, not big enough for the contents in my blender, or else it overflows

Customer: i leave now for the movie, which excites me with its interesting plots and beautiful actors, and i will drink the milkshake with happiness in my heart with zero suspicions

Fish: time to go to the backroom to clean this blender

Fish: [goes under blindspot of cctv]

Fish: [up ends the blender over his mouth, pouring content straight down his throat as i watch, agag, and observes the cookie and cream spill over from his mouth to his shirt]

Fish: [walks into backroom, belches]

Fish: yum

Me:

Me:

Fish: do u play videogames

Me: uh

Me: yes

Fish: so let me tell u abt a game called world of warcraft

Fish: do you know what a paladin is

Popcorn

Me: manager person, the popcorn in this machine with the lamp to heat it up, and has the label "fresh popcorn", is running out

Manager: oh it is 5 days already

Manager: guess we gotta go stock up

Manager: [leads me to backroom]

Manager: [there are at least ten 6 foot-tall bags of stale popcorn lying around]

Manager: grab that one. btw do u know each of these huge six-footers cost maybe GBP1.50. oh yeah and we serve each box of popcorn for above GBP3.

Hot Dog

Experienced Employee 2: hi i am beth, let's teach you about hot dogs

Me: hi beth, tell me about these hot dogs, which lie on these heated rollers, waiting for us to put them in a stale 2-day old hot dog bun and splash it with mustard and ketchup when a customer arrives

Beth: ok first you take this non-refrigerated package of raw hot dogs and put them in this tub of water

Me: ok

Beth: put it in this microwave, uncleaned since time immemorial, without the lid, or else the cooking cannot occur

Me: this is probably unsafe

Beth: yes. now put them on the rollers until midnight

Me: it's 9am now

Beth: i see ur point

Beth: employees do get 30% discount, and i like the saltiness and the oiliness of the hot dogs, so i have them for lunch anyway, even though it's about GBP3, and i am on minimum wage

Me: you prepare this

Beth: yes

Yellow something liquid thing labeled "CHEESE" for nachos

Beth: now i will teach u how to clean the cheese tub

Beth: [pours cheese out of tub]

Beth: [there is hardened, coagulated, blackened - likely of mold - bits and pieces of the yellow something liquid hanging in the interior]

Beth: ok pour the boiling hot water in

Beth: now pour it out

Me: there are still remnants

Beth: yes

Beth: now pour the new package of yellow something liquid in

Me: there are still remnants

Beth: yes, pour in now

Beth: sometimes i have this for lunch, too

Salsa for nachos

Fish: it is silly to try to drink the nachos when you refill it, even though there is blind spot under cctv

Me:

Fish: do you like anime

Me:

Fish: anime is good

The Saddest Rhino has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Jul 9, 2015

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lmao. I'm having my last shift at a certain UK cinema chain this weekend and this is spot on.

Fake edit: One time a guy tried to make a hot chocolate by heating milk and then adding the chocolate sauce from the ice cream stand. He was 21 years old.

Injun Greenberg has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Jul 9, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

p-hop posted:

Most of the fuckin' around we did was harmless stuff like taking the foamy scum out of the potato peeler after doing a batch. Put that foam on a fancy desert plate, top with whipped cream, drizzle of caramel, and a cherry. Just leave it sitting on the desert counter and watch how many people look at it and almost try a bite.

At lots of restaurants, the one I worked at included, the "Au Jus" (it's just just, really, but at this point I've given up the battle) isn't made 100% from the prime rib drippings. There's just not enough of it relative to the amount of steak ordered. So it's supplemented with a big tub of concentrated beef stock. If you've ever bought that "Better Than Bouillon" bran stuff it's the same thing, only in a larger container. When it's in the concentrated state, it's very dark, and very thick, not unlike chocolate fudge. It just so happened one of our most basic desserts was a brownie, on top of ice cream, with chocolate fudge on it.

One day, our front of house manager made one of these sundaes, substitution warmed up stock concentrate for the fudge. Looked spot on. We then placed it out back in the prep area (which during dinner became the area for people to chill for a few minutes, and for servers to do their silverware rollups.) Food placed there was considered fair game. It kept the next fifteen minutes fun as every so often those of us on the line would hear someone gag in disgust. Then I went back to chill for a bit, and help out my "girlfriend"* with her rollups and saw one of the hosts polishing off the sundae. His response when we told him it was the beef stock and not fudge was just,
"Huh...I thought it tasted a little weird."

*Protip: everyone in a restaurant is loving everyone else. Yes, even the grossest, greasiest dishwasher is probably banging the hottest bartender at some point, if for no other reason than he can score her coke. So in this instance, "girlfriend" means a girl that I'm fairly certain was only loving me...for at least that week...or maybe just that night.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This post justifies this entire thread.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Firstborn posted:

You're right. No seriously, you're absolutely right and this is why I personally never messed with food as much as I wanted to. It doesn't excuse it. It isn't justification.

But it's the reason it happens and one thing I really, really hope is that people take away from stories like these silly little lessons like "don't yell at the food staff" or "maybe supporting policy that hates raising the minimum wage is a bad idea." I'm pretty sure less stuff like this would happen if people working food service didn't have such awful lives. Maybe if they were better paid and abused less they'd quit rubbing their dicks on the fries all the time because they care that little.

Not all food service people are going to mess with the food and probably most of them won't ever. But let's be honest, all food service employees have been seriously tempted to.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

JoltSpree posted:

I also knew somebody who worked at Subway and was told not to change gloves between handling the meat and handling the vegetables, because it goes faster that way. Cross-contamination is a myth, don't you know. I don't eat at Subway anymore.
Sorry for painfully oblivious question, but cross-contamination with what?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

if you touch raw meat then touch raw vegetables (the latter which will be served in the sandwiches, likely unwashed after said touching), the inherent nutrients and antibiotics of the vegetables will float up to the surface of the leaves and kill all the bacterium and virii of the raw meat. after that u shld touch the raw meat again because the antibiotics of the vegetables stick to ur bare hands (it transfer faster because of the heat of your fingers as opposed to if u wear gloves) so the raw meat because antiseptic and totally edible, like a sashimi

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

There's no raw meat at Subway. It's all deli meat or precooked.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

then it is the bacterium of the cooked meats which are being eliminated by the vegetables. many apologies for this minor incorrect fact and greatest thank you to tiny lowtax for the correction

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

You're welcome

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Stargate posted:

Fake edit: One time a guy tried to make a hot chocolate by heating milk and then adding the chocolate sauce from the ice cream stand. He was 21 years old.

He ruined what would have been perfectly good chocolate milk.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

I died laughing at this post, thank you.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

You get bacterial cross-contamination. High protein foods like meat are great for bacteria to multiply (although the low water activity of deli meats does slow this somewhat, if they're still kinda moist, like precooked chicken, there's a fairly big risk).

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I don't tend to gently caress with guests, but I have torched sugar on 1000 island dressing in a nice ramekin and tempura battered and fried balls of wasabi paste for servers who won't stop loving eating my food

Also I was opposite of that 3 strikes thing posted earlier when working meat, 2nd send back for under cooked was 15 minutes per side or 10 in the fryer

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I work for a chemical company that specializes in dishwashing chemicals for restaurants and other large scale applications. The things I have seen in my two years in this job would make your skin crawl. For example:

A local strip mall contains Mexican restaurant adjacent to a filthy Chinese Buffet. They are the two worst accounts I have. The Chinese place is dirty, greasy, and damp. I've seen them putting food out on the buffet, left over from the day(s?) Before, at 9:30 am. Buffet opens at 11. I've seen them sitting in a circle on the floor around a piece of cardboard butchering a pile of chickens that is sitting on the cardboard. They serve canned mussels on shells that they rewash in the dishwasher.

The Mexican place is just as bad. I live in the intermountain west, so big city pests like rats and roaches are unheard of out here. One day I opened up the top of the machine to adjust something, and like 20 tiny roaches swarmed out over the washer and my clipboard. I ran.

I can post more if anyone is interested.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I think you know the answer.

The answer is :justpost:

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Good Idea: asking your kitchen staff to wear gloves

Bad Idea: chewing your kitchen staff out for 'wasting' said gloves when they change them after handling raw meat

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've hosed with servers loads, if I'm asking for a cold drink when it's really hot in the kitchen, and I know you're not busy due to a lack of tickets, I need that drink, otherwise your dinner will be very late. I had one guy who kept telling me he couldn't possibly get me a soda water with ice because he had too much to do. Fair enough. When it came time for his break, he came in and asked for his staff meal. "No problem! When I'm less busy, I'll get it right on!" He came in half an hour later, "Can I have my food now?", "No problem! When I'm less busy", etc, etc, until his shift finished and he had to go home. gently caress you, I need liquid, it's hot in here.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I work for a chemical company that specializes in dishwashing chemicals for restaurants and other large scale applications. The things I have seen in my two years in this job would make your skin crawl. For example:

A local strip mall contains Mexican restaurant adjacent to a filthy Chinese Buffet. They are the two worst accounts I have. The Chinese place is dirty, greasy, and damp. I've seen them putting food out on the buffet, left over from the day(s?) Before, at 9:30 am. Buffet opens at 11. I've seen them sitting in a circle on the floor around a piece of cardboard butchering a pile of chickens that is sitting on the cardboard. They serve canned mussels on shells that they rewash in the dishwasher.

The Mexican place is just as bad. I live in the intermountain west, so big city pests like rats and roaches are unheard of out here. One day I opened up the top of the machine to adjust something, and like 20 tiny roaches swarmed out over the washer and my clipboard. I ran.

Please

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Oh man, I forgot an awesome one. I'm at Uni, finishing off my degree, and I get a job at a (new) 'deli' in town, run by a couple of people. They just want someone to work the coffee machine, and be a waiter. I'm doing a degree in Environmental and Public Health, but need the money, and I was a chef for so long, I figure I can upsell the deli produce, as well as the cooked stuff.

This was a mistake.

My second shift, I came in, and noticed none of the meat in the deli fridge had dates on. This is legally okay, as long as they are recorded somewhere. They aren't. I take some loving stinking meat out of this fridge (home-cooked ham and beef), and put it in the kitchen to be thrown away. The owner cuts the slightly slimy, stinking bits off, and puts it back in the deli fridge. I pretend not to notice as I really need some money, and pray that this is a one-off. Hahahaha.

They went away for the weekend, leaving me in charge of the place (and thus liable, legally), and in charge of the 17 year old 'chef'. At this point, alarm bells are going off. We have a normal service, and close up. I notice that all of the meat pasties that have been (A) cooked in the oven then (B) placed in a hot hold all day, then (C) put into the kitchen at end of service have been left on the side, instead of being thrown away. I think "Well, he's young", and the next morning when I open up, I throw them all away. Just a mistake, right?

The boss then rings me up. The 'chef' has phoned him; I have thrown away his food. I am then told on the phone that the standard procedure is to cool the hot food down overnight, uncovered, in the kitchen, at room temperature, before placing it back into the hot hold for sale the next day. If you know how bacteria multiply, this is Very Bad poo poo. I decide then and there that this is my last shift. Someone is going to die at some point from this food.

Shortly after this, someone comes in, orders some toast, tea, and jam. The 'chef' nervously calls me into the kitchen, and says "de la peche, what should I do with this jam?" The jam, a huge catering tub, has half the surface covered in mould. Only half, see, because they'd scraped the mould off one side and had carried on using it. For gently caress's sake. I told him "do what you loving want, ring your boss", worked my shift out, then went home and phoned up the local Environmental Health Officer, and the next day I walked in, and told the owners I was done, didn't give a reason.

A week later, I got a threatening text from the owners; "We're going to ruin you, you've hosed with the wrong people!". The EHO had been in, and given them poo poo about the general state of the place,, and they knew it must have been me. They ended up threatening me with legal action, which is quite funny. I was at university training to be an EHO, why the gently caress hire me when your place is a shithole?!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

om nom nom posted:

I don't tend to gently caress with guests, but I have torched sugar on 1000 island dressing in a nice ramekin and tempura battered and fried balls of wasabi paste for servers who won't stop loving eating my food

Also I was opposite of that 3 strikes thing posted earlier when working meat, 2nd send back for under cooked was 15 minutes per side or 10 in the fryer

The undercooked meat thing is usually people ordering "medium rare" because its the cool thing to say but not realizing what it actually is and they want mid-well in reality.

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005
I worked in a fast food restaurant when I was a teenager and it was mostly clean and the customers were alright. If customers were really nice we used to throw in free food. However, one repeat group of customers that used to come through our drive thru were travellers/gypsies and they were really unpleasant. They were always threatening staff and constantly tried to steal stuff by removing food from the bag, hiding it in the car and claiming that they never got it. Whenever this happened their replacement food was always rubbed around somebodys balls or anus. They honestly deserved it, gently caress those guys.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Galsia posted:

I worked in a fast food restaurant when I was a teenager and it was mostly clean and the customers were alright. If customers were really nice we used to throw in free food. However, one repeat group of customers that used to come through our drive thru were travellers/gypsies and they were really unpleasant. They were always threatening staff and constantly tried to steal stuff by removing food from the bag, hiding it in the car and claiming that they never got it. Whenever this happened their replacement food was always rubbed around somebodys balls or anus. They honestly deserved it, gently caress those guys.

I feel that by going through the trouble of rubbing a greasy burger on your own anus in order to exact some kind of revenge on someone, you have actually owned yourself more than them.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

cash crab posted:

:v: Best bet is to avoid eating at restaurants, period. My ex worked in a ""upscale"" burger place where the owner would drop patties onto the floor, pick them back up and throw them back on the grill. Also, different bakery: My boss used to routinely come in at night and make new labels for cakes I'd made and redate them so they could stay out longer. She was fired for baking massive amounts of cookies and hoarding them in the back, and making the "sell-by" date from when they were put out, not when they were made, so some of them were months old by the time they went out onto the shelf. This was at a Safeway, by the way.

I once got one of those re-labeled cakes. I love their individual slices of chocolate cake, and our Safeway is pretty bang-on so I was surprised to find the cake rock-hard when I got it. That's when I noticed the expiry date had been pasted over twice. The cake was well over a week old.

A friend of mine used to work for Edible Arrangements, and while it's a franchise operation so not every one is like this, but she said don't ever eat the dipped ones. They cut the rotten, moldy pieces off the fruit before they put it in the arrangement, but they don't always bother cutting off the moldy bits of the pieces they dip in chocolate.

When I worked at a restaurant, we regularly saw the staff drop things, sear them on the grill, and throw them on the plate. It was rare and usually only happened when we were in an extreme rush, and someone was waiting on their well-done (why??) steak, and they didn't want them waiting another 15 minutes for a new one. I worked in the bar, and the fruit flies were atrocious. Once a year all the bartenders got together and did a "bar grunge," which is aptly named and exactly what it sounds like. It took hours, and it was so disgusting I didn't want to eat for several days after that, and we got paid $2 an hour for the privilege.

Being a bartender was awesome most of the time, but there were some times that made me question things.

DrBouvenstein posted:

*Protip: everyone in a restaurant is loving everyone else. Yes, even the grossest, greasiest dishwasher is probably banging the hottest bartender at some point, if for no other reason than he can score her coke. So in this instance, "girlfriend" means a girl that I'm fairly certain was only loving me...for at least that week...or maybe just that night.

This is...mostly true. I met my long-term boyfriend at my restaurant, and subsequently a short-term boyfriend. In three years working there, I don't think it was that bad. My colleagues, though, holy cow. Not to mention the time I walked in on my married, mid-30s manager and our underaged hostess.

One exception as far as I know is Starbucks. I worked there for a year and a half after law school and we weren't even one of the high-volume, high-pressure stores. I actually had worked at a high-volume store previously, and in both instances, the standards for food and beverage safety were exacting. I would bring home full bags of not-quite-expired pastries and snacks to my roommates at night because they were getting close to their expirations. Nothing was ever unlabeled, the thermometers were always in their tins (and they were calibrated every morning and cleaned every time the tin was cleaned). If you accidentally put cow's milk in a soy tin, it was going through the sanitizer before it was going back on the floor. Every inch of that place was cleaned daily, including behind the fridges and under the sinks and in the condiments bar. And this was the not-so-great Starbucks. Some of the other ones are spotless. I never saw a single roach, spider, or fruit fly the whole time I worked there. The worst you'd get is some spilled coffee and sugar on the condiment bar when we were too rushed to do a "spin" (quick sweep of the FOH to see if anything was messy or out of place, which was literally performed every hour).

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Jul 12, 2015

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

cash crab posted:

I feel that by going through the trouble of rubbing a greasy burger on your own anus in order to exact some kind of revenge on someone, you have actually owned yourself more than them.

It is a very pathetic, passive aggressive form of revenge since the target suffers no ill effect and doesn't actually know any revenge has taken place. The only result is some kind of sense of self-satisfaction and a slightly greasy rear end in a top hat.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

cash crab posted:

You are the best.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jabby posted:

It is a very pathetic, passive aggressive form of revenge since the target suffers no ill effect and doesn't actually know any revenge has taken place. The only result is some kind of sense of self-satisfaction and a slightly greasy rear end in a top hat.

When you get negative satisfaction from your job you have to even it out somehow. Ever wondered why restaurant employees do so many drugs and gently caress so much?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I once got one of those re-labeled cakes. I love their individual slices of chocolate cake, and our Safeway is pretty bang-on so I was surprised to find the cake rock-hard when I got it. That's when I noticed the expiry date had been pasted over twice. The cake was well over a week old.

A friend of mine used to work for Edible Arrangements, and while it's a franchise operation so not every one is like this, but she said don't ever eat the dipped ones. They cut the rotten, moldy pieces off the fruit before they put it in the arrangement, but they don't always bother cutting off the moldy bits of the pieces they dip in chocolate.

I was lucky in the respect that I didn't have to rely on a delivery service for fruit when I was working as a decorator. Since I had access to the back of the produce department, I could get the freshest fruit and edible flowers and not have to cut around the mold. I mean, the benefit of working at a Safeway was supposed to be bi-weekly deliveries of icing and fresh fruit, so I have no idea why people tried to cut corners so badly.

The bakery I worked in before that would happily toss out whatever, whenever, and I knew this because I was tasked with marking stuff down so the homeless shelter could pick up day-olds the next morning. Drop a donut? Toss it in the hobo basket! Stick your thumb in a pie? You're eating that now, congratulations. Good times. The alternative at Safeway was that I dumped out cake and pastries (because I knew the real BB dates!) into a dumpster out back. One morning, I'm talking like 7AM, I go outside to the dumpster. I open the steel doors and there is a man, about 50 or 60. He looks exactly like John Slattery, except that he has no shoes on and his pants are up to his knees and he is playing in organic waste. I stare at him. He stares back, steely-eyed, protectively clutching a head of lettuce. He looks at the lettuce.

"It's for my rabbit," he says. I nod, walk back inside and close the doors.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've heard a lot of the standard 'friend of a friend of mine' stories of back-of-house horrors. Bic lighter dropped in the deep fryer, reached in to grab it; slipping and falling rear end-first into a pot of oil from the fryer; cleaning the hood vents and falling into the fryer and getting stuck and requiring amputation up to the knee. The common theme, naturally, is people horsing around by the deep fryer, and I always take these stories with a grain of salt.

Personally though, I've found that most of my injuries sustained are not from knives, but some other tool designed to speed up repetitive tasks. When I volunteered in the kitchen at a summer camp, my first kitchen experience, I cleaved my right thumbnail in half, lengthwise, having slipped while cleaning the meat slicer. Working in a local dive's kitchen a couple of years later, I sustained five or six perfectly-parallel cuts to my thumb (the same one, yes) while cleaning one of those push-through tomato slicers.

Not the burns, though. Burns seem to always come from inattentiveness. I watched my chef pull a frying pan of trout out of the oven with a rag, and then grab its handle not ten seconds later with his bare hand. I burned my wrist on the same oven door by letting go of it and having it close on my hand - it was so hot that it seared the nerve endings and I didn't feel it initially.

But the worst burn, probably the worst injury, I've ever sustained, was - again, from inattentiveness - while cleaning a flat-top grill. I used to clean it while it was on, piping-hot, as it's a pretty simple way to help lift grime from the surface. I was aggressively scraping it with a grill brick and probably listening to some early Mastodon at the time, when my left hand slipped off of the brick and palmed the grill. I ripped my hand from it, shrieked, and looked at the black spots on my palm and fingertips that I immediately knew were going to blister horrendously. This happened fairly early - why we were closing the kitchen before 9PM I can't remember, but I do remember sitting at the bar at around 1AM with my left hand in a deli container of ice water and a pint (obviously not my first) in my right, still wincing from the pain. A coworker walked me to the hospital and I was eventually released at like 6AM with a proper bandage, and an inadequate prescription for painkillers.

It resulted in :nms:a wicked blister the size of a ping-pong ball:nms: and some other ones on my thumb and fingertips that made use of my left hand all but impossible for about a week.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

de la peche posted:

My second shift, I came in, and noticed none of the meat in the deli fridge had dates on. This is legally okay, as long as they are recorded somewhere. They aren't. I take some loving stinking meat out of this fridge (home-cooked ham and beef), and put it in the kitchen to be thrown away. The owner cuts the slightly slimy, stinking bits off, and puts it back in the deli fridge. I pretend not to notice as I really need some money, and pray that this is a one-off. Hahahaha.

I used to go to a local italian deli to get my lunch meat every week. I stopped going after I noticed the quality of the meat got worse and worse every week until it got to the point where I would literally start gagging opening up the packaging to make my sandwich and came to the logical conclusion that they never threw anything out and I was the only one getting that meat.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

When I was 17 I worked at KFC for a total of one day. My dad was friends with the manager or something and was pushing me to spend less time online and get a job. Even with nonslip shoes it was an ice rink of grease, and I never one witnessed an employee wearing gloves (when I asked where they were, I got a shrug). I picked up a stack of the black sectioned meal plates off a shelf that was over the uncovered side dish hot rack and a herd of tiny black roaches scuttled out. I yelled for the manager and he kind of shrugged and said 'well we had those sprayed for,' then took half the stack off, halfheartedly shook it around, and set it right back down. I saw employees pulling apart leftover chicken with their bare gross unwashed hands after they came back from cleaning toilets for pot pies for the next day.
My dad came through the drivethru later to check up on me and I was so upset and disgusted by the whole thing that all I could do was mouth 'I loving hate you.'

That night I went home and spent all night sending out resumes on craigslist, got lucky and snagged a sweet holiday mall job the next day where I could play video games most of the day, decorate ornaments the rest, and hang out with my bestie who I also got hired. I never worked food service again.

e: I never saw anyone gently caress with the food but had I stayed there long enough I probably would have

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Jul 12, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Beth is the true Horror of the Food Industry. She is one with it.

Also :boom: made me vote 5 for this thread.

Please post more. Please.
Please.

Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Maggie Fletcher posted:

One exception as far as I know is Starbucks. I worked there for a year and a half after law school and we weren't even one of the high-volume, high-pressure stores. I actually had worked at a high-volume store previously, and in both instances, the standards for food and beverage safety were exacting. I would bring home full bags of not-quite-expired pastries and snacks to my roommates at night because they were getting close to their expirations. Nothing was ever unlabeled, the thermometers were always in their tins (and they were calibrated every morning and cleaned every time the tin was cleaned). If you accidentally put cow's milk in a soy tin, it was going through the sanitizer before it was going back on the floor. Every inch of that place was cleaned daily, including behind the fridges and under the sinks and in the condiments bar. And this was the not-so-great Starbucks. Some of the other ones are spotless. I never saw a single roach, spider, or fruit fly the whole time I worked there. The worst you'd get is some spilled coffee and sugar on the condiment bar when we were too rushed to do a "spin" (quick sweep of the FOH to see if anything was messy or out of place, which was literally performed every hour).

I had a friend who worked in a locally owned donuts shop; he used to bring like 5 to 20 donuts (not the cinamon ones the iced ones that looked like little people and worms with M&Ms for eyes) home after every shift when he knew he would have guests because they cooked them fresh every day. Sadly we didn't get any cinnamon sugar ones because they were made to order, but we did get mates rates discounts if we got donuts from there because about a year before they closed up shop a franchise donuts place opened up in the same shopping complex and we got 6 donuts for $4 freshly made because we were loyal friends.

Edit: Whoops double post. May as well use the space:

cash crab posted:

One morning, I'm talking like 7AM, I go outside to the dumpster. I open the steel doors and there is a man, about 50 or 60. He looks exactly like John Slattery, except that he has no shoes on and his pants are up to his knees and he is playing in organic waste. I stare at him. He stares back, steely-eyed, protectively clutching a head of lettuce. He looks at the lettuce.

"It's for my rabbit," he says. I nod, walk back inside and close the doors.

My families dog developed a yeast allergy which caused him no end of skin issues as a puppy because some dumb-rear end wino who wanted to stay on my old mans good side used to dumpster dive at the local super market; he used to grab bread and baked goods mostly but knowing him I wouldn't be surprised if he grabbed slightly off veggies and junk too. Anyway he decided one day to grab himself a garbage bag full of stale buns and bread loaves and leave it dumped over our front gate as a "gift". Problem was the garbage bag had holes in it big enough for a puppy to smell something but not for stuff to fall out, so our dog tore through the bag and ate a pile of the moldy buns. After much throwing up and being sick with rashes the vet declared he appears to be allergic to even mild amounts of yeast. 8 years on my parents still can't let him near anything with yeast in it as he gets rashes and tears at his skin to scratch it. Old wino never said a drat word and denied anything to do with it despite our neighbor seeing him deposit the bag and have a chat with him as he was walking past immediately after. :v:

tl;dr dumpster diving is stupid

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Jul 12, 2015

• Locked thread