Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
turns out he was looking for some other dude who used to have my phone number, pretty painless all told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
my favorite part of this story was when the debt collector called

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
get ready for more calls lmao. "oh yeah wrong numbeR" is a pretty common lie

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
debt collector calls me every morning and sometimes I pick up and repeat to them 'show me the original agreement where I agreed to pay this amount' (which doesn't exist because I never did lol) and 'also explain this mysterious $450 service charge you've tacked on to the alleged original debt' (which is illegal as gently caress) and they say they'll get back to me and they never do.

Then a few weeks later they start calling every morning again. Kinda want to lawyer up since it is loving with my credit but at the same time :effort:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

if you pay your debts you are a 100% bitch

Calbiyum
May 18, 2015
Be like yeah guy was in so much debt he sold me this phone for $5 and I never changed the number he said he is trying his best to get you your money just please be patient

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i once ate an entire newspaper just to see if i could

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
That's why they call him ALL-PRO, guys.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i once ate an entire newspaper just to see if i could

Well don't leave us in suspense did you poo poo out newsprint?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Well don't leave us in suspense did you poo poo out newsprint?

i poo poo out a horoscope that predicted the date of my death :(

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

turns out he was looking for some other dude who used to have my phone number, pretty painless all told

guess what, he will never stop calling your number, forever. neither will all the other debt collectors. the majority of the calls you receive will not be from loved ones, but debt collectors, and no matter how many times you tell them that this is not their number, they will keep calling it.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

according to the last one to harass me i owe a bunch of mortgage payments on a house in Michigan

i have never been to Michigan

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

guess what, he will never stop calling your number, forever. neither will all the other debt collectors. the majority of the calls you receive will not be from loved ones, but debt collectors, and no matter how many times you tell them that this is not their number, they will keep calling it.

almost like phones should have a blocking function

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

lol if you think they don't just rotate the number they use to call you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

actually I was in the shower so he left a message, called him back and told him he had the wrong guy

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NuFVQk_CCs

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jarofpiss posted:

if you pay your debts you are a 100% bitch

You didn't have to say that, just quote your avatar.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
My dad was a debt collector. And like all debt collectors, he was an rear end in a top hat.

edit: Not an rear end in a top hat as a father, just an rear end in a top hat at his job

ProfessorMurder fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 7, 2015

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I think there was a goon who racked up a shitton of debt, refused to pay any of it and then MADE money by suing the debt collectors that broke the law trying to collect (ie all of them)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

I think there was a goon who racked up a shitton of debt, refused to pay any of it and then MADE money by suing the debt collectors that broke the law trying to collect (ie all of them)

idk the particulars but the OP in the debt collector thread in Business + Finance said he owed them cash and ended up with a settlement when they hosed up trying to collect.

they actually make a lot of mistakes if you know what to look for, and the law states they are liable for damages of like $500 for EACH gently caress up and explicitly states what they can and can't do. so if you tell them 'talk to my lawyer here's his number' and they keep calling you, each phone call is $500. each time they threaten to sue, $500. each time they call outside of certain hours, $500. etc.

They're also not allowed to seek payment for anything more than the original debt amount; if they are tacking on their own service charges or whatever that's illegal.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I'm reading this from debtors jail.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

idk the particulars but the OP in the debt collector thread in Business + Finance said he owed them cash and ended up with a settlement when they hosed up trying to collect.

they actually make a lot of mistakes if you know what to look for, and the law states they are liable for damages of like $500 for EACH gently caress up. so if you tell them 'talk to my lawyer here's his number' and they keep calling you, each phone call is $500. each time they threaten to sue, $500. each time they call outside of certain hours, $500. etc.

Yeah that was it. I guess they're used to dealing with barely literate wastes of life so they never think they're gonna get in trouble for grossly breaking the laws

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

lol if you think they don't just rotate the number they use to call you

Small price to live off the man. Bring back debtors prisons.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Monk posted:

I'm reading this from debtors jail.

which is making a come back!

the way it works is they try to collect from a poor, get a summary court judgement ordering the poor to pay, poor either can't pay or doesn't show up for court or whatever resulting in a bench warrant. poor goes to jail. poor is only released from jail upon completion of the court order, but since they are now in jail if no one will lend them the money they are kind of just hosed.

quote:

In 2011, Robin Sanders was driving home when she saw the blue and red lights flashing behind her. She knew she had not fixed her muffler, and believed that was why she was being pulled over. She thought she might get a ticket.

Instead, Sanders, who lives in Illinois, was arrested and taken to jail.

As she was booked and processed, she learned that she had been jailed because she owed debt — $730 to be precise, related to an unpaid medical bill. Unbeknownst to her, a collection agency had filed a lawsuit against her, and, having never received the notice instructing her to appear, she had missed her date in court.

Debra Shoemaker Ford, a citizen of Harpersville, Ala., spent seven weeks in the county jail without ever appearing in court. Her crime was a failure to pay the monthly fees mailed to her by a private probation company, called Judicial Correction Services. She was on probation because of a traffic violation.

In Benton County, Wash., a quarter of those in jail are there because they owe fines and fees.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

Small price to live off the man. Bring back debtors prisons.

Yeah it's already back

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Just don't pay youre bills, op. It's worked for me.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
DOnt want to go to jail? Dont buy stuff. Cant live without buying stuff? Dont live.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

which is making a come back!

the way it works is they try to collect from a poor, get a summary court judgement ordering the poor to pay, poor either can't pay or doesn't show up for court or whatever resulting in a bench warrant. poor goes to jail. poor is only released from jail upon completion of the court order, but since they are now in jail if no one will lend them the money they are kind of just hosed.

They should probably show up to court to avoid worse charges from breaking the law.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

haljordan posted:

I used to bill companies $75 for putting poo poo on my windshield. It was itemized and everything, one dumbass actually paid it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

This is why my phone is set up to just answer and hang up on anyone who calls me.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Great read on how hosed up the debt collection industry is:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/15/magazine/bad-paper-debt-collector.html

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

private probation company, called Judicial Correction Services

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
also, lol if you don't use google voice for everything except family

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

They should probably show up to court to avoid worse charges from breaking the law.

Dunno I've definitely had a cop give me poo poo for missing a court date that I was totally unaware about because they said they mailed it and I never got the letter :shrug:

Good thing I'm white and male LOL

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Oh Hell No posted:

according to the last one to harass me i owe a bunch of mortgage payments on a house in Michigan

Well you shouldn't have got a house there then

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

they usually call from blocked numbers ("unknown")

that poo poo should be illegal/impossible

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Oh Hell No posted:

You should visit. Many parts of the state are beautiful and they have great beer if that's your thing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ashgromnies posted:

they usually call from blocked numbers ("unknown")

that poo poo should be illegal/impossible

Block that on ur crappy phone?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Moridin920 posted:

debt collector calls me every morning and sometimes I pick up and repeat to them 'show me the original agreement where I agreed to pay this amount' (which doesn't exist because I never did lol) and 'also explain this mysterious $450 service charge you've tacked on to the alleged original debt' (which is illegal as gently caress) and they say they'll get back to me and they never do.

Then a few weeks later they start calling every morning again. Kinda want to lawyer up since it is loving with my credit but at the same time :effort:

u sound like a bitch and i hope they send tony to break ur skinny posting arms

thanks ~Salmiakki~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Was he a Jew? Or Jewess I guess don't wanna be sexist

• Locked thread