Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hppEOojVtyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPWksvuRKwg

What else = what?
Post and debate examples such as Avatar = Aliens and Star Wars = Flash Gordon and hopefully less obvious examples that will make us go "Ooohh yeaah, huh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the op = a bad poster

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

the op = a bad poster

Suggestions for improvement? [edit] Genuinely. I admit the protocol/etiquette around here often throws me for a loop. What did I do wrong?

Fuzzy Modem fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 7, 2015

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

nobody here is familiar with either of those nerd things enough to get what the hell those videos are about

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

:goleft:

:goleft::goleft:
:goleft::goleft:

:goleft::goleft::goleft:

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

nobody here is familiar with either of those nerd things enough to get what the hell those videos are about

Babylon 5 is pretty niche, granted, but everyone loves Firefly.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Babylon 5 is pretty niche, granted, but everyone knows of Firefly.

Ftfy

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's another one I've noticed. Star Trek = Star Wars. thoughts?

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ralp posted:

Well, Shatner claims Star Wars is derivative of Star Trek, but I think Star Wars borrows far more heavily from Flash Gordon.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Well, Shatner claims Star Wars is derivative of Star Trek, but I think Star Wars borrows far more heavily from Flash Gordon.

star wars borrows heavily from the foundation series

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simstim posted:

star wars borrows heavily from the foundation series

Man, I almost listened to the first Foundation audio book on my last road trip, but ended up listening to World War Z instead. Now I'm really curious.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is too nerdy for me. I'm out.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm gay

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Man, I almost listened to the first Foundation audio book on my last road trip, but ended up listening to World War Z instead. Now I'm really curious.

foundation series is to galatic spanning scifi what lord of the rings is to fantasy

fantasy with elves and poo poo like that in it

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Ralp posted:

Star Trek: A Really Wild And Radical Show

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simstim posted:

foundation series is to galatic spanning scifi what lord of the rings is to fantasy

fantasy with elves and poo poo like that in it

Yeah, Star Wars (when you remove the Sci-fi setting) is the quintessential fantasy story about a farm boy who takes up his father's sword to rescue a princess held in a fortress by an evil sorcerer.

I'll be sure to check out the Foundation series. Sounds like my cup of tea. (Yes, I am unabashedly nerdy.)

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
G'kar or Londo?

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Really can't have one without the other. Yin and Yang...

...G'kar though.

[edit] Still the best creature effects make-up of any TV series ever. Puts Star Trek's foreheads of the week to shaaaaame.

Fuzzy Modem fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 8, 2015

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Really can't have one without the other. Yin and Yang...

...G'kar though.

[edit] Still the best creature effects make-up of any TV series ever. Puts Star Trek's foreheads of the week to shaaaaame.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I have a centerfold poster of the both of them above my desk at work. Got it from a copy of the old Babylon 5 trade magazine in a used bookstore.

Anyway, back on topic, Babylon 5 = Lord of the Rings: Sheridan "dies" after falling into the pit on Za'ha'dum. Gandalf "dies" after falling into the pit of Khaza-Dum (among other similarities.)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
You = poo poo

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Yeah, Star Wars (when you remove the Sci-fi setting) is the quintessential fantasy story about a farm boy who takes up his father's sword to rescue a princess held in a fortress by an evil sorcerer.

I'll be sure to check out the Foundation series. Sounds like my cup of tea. (Yes, I am unabashedly nerdy.)

well, what I was getting at was its influence on galaxy spanning scifi stories. tolkien's universe inturn has been copied by other fantasy writers/creators, not just books but stuff like d&d and oblivion videogames.

and now hbo has the rights to it so I'm guessing they are tyring to turn it into the next game of thrones, so you can be that nerd who is "oh, I know all about the foundation series" :smug: if it gets greenlit

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
I'm = gay :)

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
old bill shatner star trek is good to watch for a goof now and then but the rest of that stuff is hot garbage

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ramsus posted:

old bill shatner star trek is good to watch for a goof now and then but the rest of that stuff is hot garbage

Star Trek, especially original Star Trek, is so episodic. A series of self contained stories often inconsistent with one another, where everything is wrapped up neatly by the end of each episode so that they can be shown out of order without confusion. I loved Babylon 5 because it told a single epic story over the course of five years. B5 also had space battles with 3D tactics and hundreds of ships.

---

Here is another. The Matrix = The Lego Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YnnKy7kwSg

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

lol nerrrrrrrd

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Bear Suit posted:

lol nerrrrrrrd

Guilty as charged.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
rip andreas katsulas

wish we got more on the telepath war and those monster neck things in the show instead of some lame books that I'm never gonna read

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how come the babylon 5 movies were so bad

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

how come the babylon 5 movies were so bad

"In the Beginning" is a fantastic B5 movie. I actually recommend that people start with that, and if they like it, skip all of season 1 and start the series with Bruce Boxleitner arrival at the start of season 2.

"Third Space" and "Call to Arms" were both decent, but the rest weren't very good, though I want to watch the Martin Sheen one again, just 'cause Martin Sheen.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In the beginning has pretty big spoilers in it, I wouldn't start with it, though it'd much better than accidentally starting with "the gathering", the actual pilot. The first season is pretty much a slog until the last third, you gotta see humans fight in the mutai in order to get to the good poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2015

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In the beginning has pretty big spoilers in it, I wouldn't start with it, though it'd much better than accidentally starting with "the gathering", the actual pilot. The first season is pretty much a slog until the last third, you gotta see humans fight in the mutai in order to get to the good poo poo.

I don't think itB has any big spoilers past Season 2. It does reveal Sinclair's missing 24 hours, but I never really cared about Sinclair. Relegating him to Minbari ambassador and bringing in Sheridan to replace him was the wisest thing JMS could have done, given Michael O'Hare's condition.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I don't think itB has any big spoilers past Season 2. It does reveal Sinclair's missing 24 hours, but I never really cared about Sinclair. Relegating him to Minbari ambassador and bringing in Sheridan to replace him was the wisest thing JMS could have done, given Michael O'Hare's condition.

It tells you who Delenn is, Londo's ending with implications of what leads to it, stuff from the season 5 plots (eh whatever), probably some more stuff I'm forgetting.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
star wars is cool

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the show is still good even if you know some of the things that will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It tells you who Delenn is, Londo's ending with implications of what leads to it, stuff from the season 5 plots (eh whatever), probably some more stuff I'm forgetting.

Stuff that is heavily and constantly foreshadowed anyway.

• Locked thread