Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
can someone explain to me what vocal fry is and how it makes women sound weak and powerless? There has been a discussion on my facebook lately about hwo women shouldn't have to talk like men to be respected and people keep saying things about vocal fry and I don't know wtf it is. The discussion is about how there are always these things about how women talk that say that women talk bad and it makes them appear weak like in the 90s it was upspeak and now it's like vocal fry and this thing about saying "just" too much:

http://www.businessinsider.com/former-google-exec-says-this-word-can-damage-your-credibility-2015-6?IR=T

quote:

I started paying attention, at work and beyond. It didn't take long to sense something I hadn't noticed before: women used "just" a lot more often than men.

Still, it was only a hunch — I had no data. Yet even if it was selective listening, it seemed I was hearing "just" three to four times more frequently from women than from men.

It hit me that there was something about the word I didn't like. It was a "permission" word, in a way — a warm-up to a request, an apology for interrupting, a shy knock on a door before asking "Can I get something I need from you?"

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was a "child" word, to riff Transactional Analysis. As such it put the conversation partner into the "parent" position, granting them more authority and control. And that "just" didn't make sense.

and then there's this response peace:

https://debuk.wordpress.com/2015/07/05/just-dont-do-it/

I can't find a good block quote for it so you have to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i looked into it and it wasnt hard to find out what it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqVgtLQ7qM

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

POWERBALL posted:

I can't find a good block quote for it so you have to read it.

Not true

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
pretty sure we're going to have to change the way the human brain works to figure this one out

just talk to every dick boss like he's 5 and you caught him playing with matches if you want to get on our level

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
Women should talk like men

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Ocean Book posted:

WOw, ty. Thant was very informative. I guess now that I know what it is I think that it doesn't sound intrinsically dumb or anything. People who don't like it are just misogynist/sexist I think.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Well I don't know about all this female speech habit stuff but vocal fry is what your vocal cords do when you try to produce a pitch that's too low for them. Sing the lowest note you can, then try to keep going lower than that. The gravelly groan you get when you do that is called vocal fry.

Maybe a lot of women think speaking low and gruff sounds good nowadays.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I have no idea what vocal fry is. This American Life did a piece on it with examples. I have no idea what the gently caress they were talking about.

Ocean Book posted:

I don't get it still.

Wulfolme posted:

Well I don't know about all this female speech habit stuff but vocal fry is what your vocal cords do when you try to produce a pitch that's too low for them. Sing the lowest note you can, then try to keep going lower than that. The gravelly groan you get when you do that is called vocal fry.

Maybe a lot of women think speaking low and gruff sounds good nowadays.

Why was there a word created for this.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Why was there a word created for this.

It's a term from the singing world and it's actually called for by name in some choral music.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
An extremely non-technical explanation:
Vocal fry is the lowest range of pitches you can produce. It often sounds creaky, which is why it's also known as "creaky voice." Creaky voice is formally used in some languages for certain words.

Here is James Franco in some movie speaking in creaky voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWI5_OkdiVY

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 8, 2015

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUIYKlvUb4

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
If anything it makes them sound like stoners.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

like the dunmer in morrowind

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

how giant of a stick must be up your rear end to be bothered by it

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47HgrBeg1t8

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Feminition posted:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
See that sounds nothing like the examples from that This American Life. If they just said "sounds like a Dunmer" I'd have understood immediately and also disagreed immediately and known it was anti-woman bullshit to start with.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
That piece of poo poo Ira Glass needs to begin using video game references or risk losing mind share among that part of his audience with disposable income. I'm the one the so-called "underwriters" are targeting.

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

WHY WOMEN NO TALK DEEP??

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
how is the vocal fry thing anti women. just because its mostly attributed to women doesnt mean its not stupid

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haverchuck posted:

how is the vocal fry thing anti women. just because its mostly attributed to women doesnt mean its not stupid

you're stupid but every media outlet in the nation doesn't feel the need to write a thinkpiece about it

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Vocal fry is an extremely funny meme that points out some dumb poo poo that no one ever noticed before but now everyone screams and cries in their pants every time they hear it.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're stupid but every media outlet in the nation doesn't feel the need to write a thinkpiece about it

me being stupid is no news, but vocal fry as a concept is unfamiliar to many people, including the op. I always thought it was a little grating but not enough to come up with a name for it. sorry about writing all those articles by the way

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Feminition posted:

LOL seriously. Get it together folks

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Haverchuck posted:

Can you (or anyone) say what's bad or dumb about it without referring to the fact that mainly women do it?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

its a conspiracy to make men more attracted to lower tones sso unconsciously so when the reptitles reveal themselves they can more easily seduce men with theyre hypnotic vocalities

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

vocal "fry", think about it, what else has "fries"? baby fishes, fish are also scaly with codl blood......... read between the lines

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

POWERBALL posted:

Can you (or anyone) say what's bad or dumb about it without referring to the fact that mainly women do it?
It's bad/dumb because noticing and pointing it out every time I hear it makes me seem smarter than I actually am.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

POWERBALL posted:

it sucks when men do it too. i dont think its exclusive to women but when have internet writers passed up an opportunity to take a shot at an easy target like kim kardashian

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZhABkbPSbA

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLXMXX_OOc

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

The problem isn't with women saying "just" a lot it's with them nagging all the time

Amirite fellas?

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

I like Lake Bell but this seems pretty anti-feminist :\

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
what the gently caress is vocal fry

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I've had to learn too many goddamn weird words because of the Internet and now there's another one?

loving millennials are poo poo, this has to be their fault

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

Millennials lackin real problems so they have to invent phrases to criticize people

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

POWERBALL posted:

It's dumb because it's about the Kardashians, it takes (stereotypical) men's speech as normative, and it's probably based on shoddy, anecdote-based "research."

I don't think it's mainly women who use vocal fry (sorry for referring to that). In countries like the US and UK, men and boys usually use a deeper pitch when talking to someone they're socially "distant" from (eg a stranger, a boss). The greater the distance, the more the pitch is deepened. Women and girls usually do the opposite, raising their pitch according to social distance. Now, supposedly, there's a trend of young women deepening their voices like men and boys usually do.

It's dumb to assume that women who deepen their voices are trying to sound more authoritative. Lauren Bacall was trained to speak in a low, husky pitch to sound sexy. Some women are self conscious about their voices sounding too childlike, and others are expressing a butch identity. I'm sure there are many other reasons, too.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 8, 2015

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Absolute Lithops posted:

It's dumb because it's about the Kardashians, it takes (stereotypical) men's speech as normative, and it's probably based on shoddy, anecdote-based "research."

I don't think it's mainly women who use vocal fry (sorry for referring to that). In countries like the US and UK, men and boys usually use a deeper pitch when talking to someone they're socially "distant" from (eg a stranger, a boss). The greater the distance, the more the pitch is deepened. Women and girls usually do the opposite, raising their pitch according to social distance. Now, supposedly, there's a trend of young women deepening their voices like men and boys usually do.

Women who deepen their voices aren't necessarily trying to sound more manly and authoritative. Lauren Bacall was trained to speak in a low, husky pitch to sound sexy. Also, some women are self conscious about their voices sounding too child-like.

to me it doesnt sound like a change in tone at all but just allowing ones voice to slow to a dry croak at the end of a sentence. im not convinced subconscious tonal shifts play into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
jesus gently caress who cares.

if you even make a conscious note of this poo poo in conversations please kill yourself you are loving demented and humanity should not have to suffer you a second longer.

• Locked thread