Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imagine yourself alone and naked in your home. its midnight and the lights are out. you feel the gentle breeze of the rainy summer night on youre crotch. suddenly, krang bursts into the room, yelling loudly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Chiming in to say that this thread was an eye-opener: I can now put a name to that grating, retarded speech pattern that I've occasionally been hearing on TV.

Thankfully I don't live in a place where this is a 'thing' and people don't feel the need to make their voice tones sound extra terrible when they talk.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
vocal fry is annoying and terrible, but i try not to judge people who do it because i myself was blessed/cursed with a commandingly low kathleen turner-esque voice

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
A girl I know used to sing in a punk band.

She always sang in a really low register that was obviously too low for her, and when she sang it sounded like she was doing a (poor) fat guy impression.

I tried to suggest that maybe she could sing in a higher register but apparently that was a sexist thing to suggest.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
men: women talk stupid!
old people: young people talk stupid!

this is vocal fry op

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
its a thing basic bitches do

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Harald posted:

its a thing basic bitches do

Woah that's bad, something awful HATES basic bitches

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Skeleton Ape posted:

Woah that's bad, something awful HATES basic bitches

imagine a vocal fry ordering a caramel macchiato forever

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I think vocal fry is ok and if you don't think so you're just buying into the hegemonic sexism about speech patterns viz. the patriarchy.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
If you think women should talk any kind of way that isn't however the gently caress they want you're a misogynist.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

POWERBALL posted:

If you think women should talk any kind of way that isn't however the gently caress they want you're a misogynist.

Actually as a victim of abuse, when women do vocal fry it makes me nervous and triggered.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
actually i don't think most people "talk ways" on purpose but instead develop a speech pattern organically without ever consciously thinking about it

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

POWERBALL posted:

I think vocal fry is ok and if you don't think so you're just buying into the hegemonic sexism about speech patterns viz. the patriarchy.

come to think of it op, i don't think ive seen anyone itt who didn't point out that they were not mansplaining, whole thread is mansplaining imo, you seem like an ally though (I'm not so I may not be best judge)

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
im angry, angry about VOCAL FRY!

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
jesus loving christ can you believe it? vocal fry. goddamn.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
some people talk one way, and other people talk a different way, and i just can't loving wrap my head around it, it's some hosed up poo poo imo

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

quakster posted:

imagine yourself alone and naked in your home

dont have to imagine

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

:wink:

Vogelfrei
Jun 15, 2002
I finally listened to that This American Life piece on vocal fry, and I kept getting distracted because it sounded like they were saying my username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

Well I don't know about all this female speech habit stuff but vocal fry is what your vocal cords do when you try to produce a pitch that's too low for them. Sing the lowest note you can, then try to keep going lower than that. The gravelly groan you get when you do that is called vocal fry.

Maybe a lot of women think speaking low and gruff sounds good nowadays.

I am a woman and it doesn't matter how low I go, my voice doesn't go creaky. I think vocal fry is generally a semi-conscious attempt to convey uncertainty or annoyance. Women tend to use it when they are being passive aggressive or thinking about the answer to a difficult question.

Actually I can basically go as low as I want, I just sound like a retarded woman instead of a man because there is something else other than pitch that determines whether you sound masculine or feminine. Like this example of Buck Angel talking and Loren Cameron in this one (I am guessing Walthier and Green had more masculine speech patterns even before they started on T) sound like (gay) males even though they are still talking with feminine speech patterns and a relatively high pitch, because of something else testosterone did to their vocal cords. I don't know exactly what that is, whether it's the timbre or something.

Uptalk, vocal fry and words like "just" are attempts to soften demands and convey emotion, which are basically ways of making your speech more social. I don't really understand why people get annoyed by them.

• Locked thread