Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

Nobby posted:

I don't quite buy that some Everlasting viewer wouldn't Internet-Sleuth out that whole thing by the next morning.

That could actually be an interesting plot point. We've seen multiple instances of how Everlasting is this tiny self-contained island with the showrunners actively manipulating "reality". They are in complete control, and whatever they say is true is accepted as the truth in their little bubble. All we see in this show is the producers fighting among themselves, and the mostly moronic contestants doing whatever the behind the scenes crew want them to do. What if the level of contrivance started coming out? How would these manipulative power hungry backstabbers deal with people in the outside world challenging them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
To be fair, some pretty heinous stories have come out about real shows without hitting their ratings much or at all

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

How do you 'get' suicide ratings? ie are they meant to be filming and screening week to week and have maybe two days to promote a Very Special Episode? 'this week on everlasting, cannibal Holocaust!'

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The blacktivist woman got played hard by everyone.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
It's pretty harsh and I still love it.
I'm fine with the contestants getting less of the spot light at the expense of the crazy production people.
I don't get how Chet isn't castrated yet, given how much he fucks up and how ruthless everyone around him are.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This episode was quite cool. It's especially good if you consider that this episode was directed by Shiri Appleby herself. And as the AV club pointed out, imagine how weird it has to be to direct your own sex scene.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I didn't really like the episode because it was to much of a rehash last seasons home date where they had the secret lesbian they outed in front of her conservative community, but the "here we go again" ending makes me giddy for next week's episode.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

but the "here we go again" ending makes me giddy for next week's episode.

Who was that anyway? I don't remember that guy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Air is lava! posted:

Who was that anyway? I don't remember that guy.

Did you watch season 1?

It's the season 1 suitor, now with extra curly hair. Quinn got him to split Rachel/Coleman up

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh yeah that makes sense. I always found him to be really unremarkable and forgettable, so I guess I forgot him.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The good news: Constance Zimmer (Quinn) just got nominated for an Emmy :3:

The bad news: it is the show's only nomination :(

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Zimmer's the best.

People complained all season that the S1, Ep 6 Suicide wasn't a big deal, but it's the base conspiracy about every coverup since.

I like Yael wanting to go to the Guggenheim. The best producer on Earth couldn't clear all that artwork (especially in weekly show like Everlasting apparently is.)

During the sunset talk between Rachel and Beth-Anne, they must not've had the light long; both of the close-ups are completely differently lit. The show's otherwise great so I imagine the daytime/nighttime shoot was frustrating.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Golden Bee posted:

Zimmer's the best.

People complained all season that the S1, Ep 6 Suicide wasn't a big deal, but it's the base conspiracy about every coverup since.

I like Yael wanting to go to the Guggenheim. The best producer on Earth couldn't clear all that artwork (especially in weekly show like Everlasting apparently is.)

During the sunset talk between Rachel and Beth-Anne, they must not've had the light long; both of the close-ups are completely differently lit. The show's otherwise great so I imagine the daytime/nighttime shoot was frustrating.

Wait, pictures (art) on TV are copy righted the same way music (art) is? Makes total sense, but I've never thought about it that way before.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Tonight on Unreal - Rachel incites a race war.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If anyone was still wondering how they could top a suicide, there's your answer.

EDIT:
So is Hot Rachel an investigative journalist, who wants to take down the show, or does she just want to get some blackmail material in order to win?
Crazy theory: She is a plant by Rachels mom. That would explain her desperate need to get to know her.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 19, 2016

April
Jul 3, 2006

I have no idea what to make of this episode. So I will process it via wall o'text!

Thought #1) Maybe Rachel is honestly so far gone that when she called the police, she had no idea that when they saw a black man in a "stolen" Bentley, they might not be super polite about it. She figured it would be just another dramatic false alarm that would get some cool footage of flashing lights & sirens but not really go anywhere (see: ambulance & paramedics from earlier this season). But that would require quite a bit of head-up-assness on not only her part (maaaaaybe possible) but Coleman's as well, and he seems way too socially conscious to not see the potential for tragedy there.

Thought #2) Rachel is so far gone that she didn't know or didn't care that someone could get killed. Coleman COULD see the potential, but could also see the potential for award-winning documentary footage. I am having trouble putting that kind of coldness together with his golly gee persona though.

Thought #3) It's either really great or really terrible writing that for all the talk of "the first black Suitor!!" and the fact that "real" shows like The Bachelor have never gone there, nobody seems to know what to do with him, or how to really address racial issues. Ruby & the hillbilly chick were OK for tossing out meme-type lines when required, but the day to day reality (such as interactions with police) aren't addressed in any meaningful way. There's an implication that Darius's fame has insulated him from a lot of what other people of color have to deal with ("He's FOOTBALL black!") and maybe that plays into the whole thing as well - nobody really thought that the stolen car thing would go bad because of who he is.

Thought #4) Thank you, writers, costume designers, and Universe in general for putting Adam in those trunks. Thank you thank you thank you.

Thought #5) Hot Rachel and Jeremy are gross. I hope whatever they are up to righteously bites them both in the rear end big time.

Thought #6) When Rachel told Adam that there was a small window when he could've saved her, my heart broke a little. She's manipulative, conniving, and has zero conscience, but a part of her can see how hosed up that is, and that has to be a kind of hell.

Thought #7) What is Coleman's deal?? Is he the nice guy that could actually help Rachel, and get her out of the poo poo-show that is Everlasting and involved in meaningful projects and relationships? Or does he have his own agenda that we just haven't seen yet? He held her back from intervening in the traffic stop, but when things went too far, he was the one who jumped in to calm the situation and try to get medical help for Romeo.

Thought #8) Rachel's mom. I don't even know what to think. She showed up when Rachel needed her, got her out of a terrible situation, and is keeping her safe-ish while Rachel is bottoming out. But is it a caring thing, or a controlling thing? Rachel DID call her, not the other way around. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I... had a lot more thoughts than I realized when I started this post.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This was a better episode than the last few, but I'm so far passed finding ant of these characters sympathetic that I want the whole thing to burn down now. I'm especially annoyed with the every episode hissy fit thrown by the black producer despite he's willingness to do horrible, soul destroying poo poo like turning the fan on in the gondola scene. Speaking of which, I don't buy her as a character at all, she's so 2D and the ashes stunt was laughable as something a real person would do. It's a far cry from the developed contestants of season one.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Big Leboatski.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

April posted:

Thought #7) What is Coleman's deal?? Is he the nice guy that could actually help Rachel, and get her out of the poo poo-show that is Everlasting and involved in meaningful projects and relationships? Or does he have his own agenda that we just haven't seen yet? He held her back from intervening in the traffic stop, but when things went too far, he was the one who jumped in to calm the situation and try to get medical help for Romeo.

Coleman is the guy who thinks he's better than these reality TV bottom-feeders he's in charge of, but when the situation presents itself he heads right down into the muck with them just with "loftier" goals. The fact that he snapped to his senses sooner than everyone else doesn't change the fact that he created the situation that got Romeo shot with the justification of doing Important Work.

I like it in the sense of "no one involved with Everlasting is worth a gently caress" but I don't necessarily need sympathetic characters to keep watching either.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really enjoy just how much Quinn hates Graham

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oh man that reveal really makes Rachel's mom look like a complete monster

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

mistermojo posted:

I really enjoy just how much Quinn hates Graham

To be fair, I think everybody does.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
I wish I could convince more of my friends to watch this show! No one believes a Lifetime show is going to be as good as I say this is. This last episode was nuts, I can't wait to see what is going to happen with Rachel's video confessions.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Is the rest of season two as infuriatingly stupid as the first two episodes?

Jeremy: I'm letting the audience know; this season I'm the BAD GUY!!!! I'm outright literally saying it.
Jay: And I'm now the one with a line I can't cross! I mean, I did cross my own personal line last season, and seem to care as little as everyone else, but in fact I've for no reason changed!
Chet: I'm a cartoon character now. Also apparently if I show up on set everyone with careers dependent on this show is apparently stupid enough to just listen to me.
Jeremy: Just to remind everyone, I'm literally the bad man, acting a way no human being would ever act

And the "filming two seasons at once" thing is so loving insanely stupid I don't know where to begin. I legit don't want to be a downer and poo poo on anyones favourite show, but really dug season one and every other thing in these first two episodes have just felt lazy and dumb

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 30, 2016

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, and season 2 goes even further off the rails than that. I still enjoy watching the show, but....

Luckily each season of the show is standalone enough that season 1 is still a near-perfect story on its own and there still could be a recovery for season 3.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, season 1 is still fantastic.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I guess what I'm asking is, if what I've seen so far has bothered me, should I abandon ship or is there good stuff if I stay the course?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Calico Heart posted:

I guess what I'm asking is, if what I've seen so far has bothered me, should I abandon ship or is there good stuff if I stay the course?

There are still some good episodes. It just isn't consistently good like season 1.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Like I said, I still enjoy watching the show so I wouldn't actively recommend not watching it

Buuut the stuff you mentioned from the first two episodes is just the tip of the crazy-poo poo iceberg this season

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
You notice that the more experienced showrunner left and Shapiro has little clue how to continue the show.

It's still absurd fun but it's not as grounded as the first season was.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'd agree the second season has been not great. All the characters getting very mouthpiecey is one of the things and the totally aimless plot. Which is a pity because the characters still do brutal things to each other but its like puppets hitting each other with sticks levels of meaningful this time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

You notice that the more experienced showrunner left and Shapiro has little clue how to continue the show.

It's still absurd fun but it's not as grounded as the first season was.

To be fair to Shapiro the rape backstory was apparently created by Noxon when they first pitched the series and was, in fact, Noxon's main pitch to Shiri too.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Literally began episode three, watched the first ten seconds, and quit. Sorry, gently caress this show, I'm out.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Literally began episode three, watched the first ten seconds, and quit. Sorry, gently caress this show, I'm out.

Good choice.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Can it get worse?

Yep, it just did. Jumped the shark? More like dumped.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No way she does not come back next week, right? Cameraboy too.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Outta morbid curiosity... Can someone summarise what's happened since the second ep and how much worse it got?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Outta morbid curiosity... Can someone summarise what's happened since the second ep and how much worse it got?

The show is now officially full of poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone got shot, someone got fired, someones got hosed, Rachel lost all of her very broken marbles, outed her life long secret, got played...

Not a single good character this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

UnREAL: A Craptastic Diarrhea Fest

• Locked thread