Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

savinhill posted:

St Marq was obnoxious in all the right ways, fuckin miss that dude and his hilariously over the top confessionals.

I really have to wonder what would have happened if he hadn't been eliminated so early.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really just appreciate any tattoo replacement/cover up show that doesn't have stupid rear end re-enacments in it like Tattoo Nightmares.

The re-enactments are so terrible and way too drawn out. Another terrible coverup show is the one on A&E called Bad Ink. Save yourself the trouble and don't even entertain the idea of watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
The reenactments can be pretty funny on Tattoo Nightmares and the cast is pretty likeable. I don't mind watching it once in a while.
Bad Ink on the other hand is irredeemably boring trash.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Wasn't Goon Girlfriend former Ink Master contestant(my memento-level bad memory for names says Sarah I think) supposed to be a cast member for some new tattoo show? Is it one of the ones that've been just mentioned?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

21st Cherry boy posted:

The reenactments can be pretty funny on Tattoo Nightmares and the cast is pretty likeable. I don't mind watching it once in a while.
Bad Ink on the other hand is irredeemably boring trash.
if you think 'tattoo nightmares' has a single redeeming aspect to be found then I can't even envision the apocalyptically hostile nihilism contained within your perception of 'bad ink'!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Not Today Satan posted:

I really have to wonder what would have happened if he hadn't been eliminated so early.

I bet he would have done some more black and gray tattoos.

Tattoo Redemption made me feel sad because they were like "yeah I can't wait to have someone good fix this terrible mistake" and then they were like "oh yeah totally oh wait no it's that guy you hate". That said, I watched the whole thing and will probable watch the rest.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

TheRationalRedditor posted:

if you think 'tattoo nightmares' has a single redeeming aspect to be found then I can't even envision the apocalyptically hostile nihilism contained within your perception of 'bad ink'!

Tattoo Nightmares is dope, sorry you're broken and can't enjoy fun things.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I don't mind Tattoo Nightmares so much but I can't binge it. They do some awesome cover ups but other than that, the show is pretty the same every episode. The artist going "I can't WAIT to hear this story!/I HAVE to hear this story!" in the most poorly acted way possible and then making like it's the most horrible tattoo they've ever seen. When you skip all that, I think you get maybe 5-8 minutes of them actually tattooing.

I think tattoo redemption should be them having to fix their mistakes. That hula girls face was jacked as hell.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Epi Lepi posted:

Tattoo Nightmares is dope, sorry you're broken and can't enjoy fun things.
If you equate fun with scripting, acting and editing so joylessly pandering & horrendous they make Ink Master talking head segments look like PBS documentaries, rest in piss watching an eternal loop of 43 year olds yelling a thoroughly rehearsed exclamation of "EPIC FAIL!" into a camera, you dippy dolt

KilGrey posted:

I don't mind Tattoo Nightmares so much but I can't binge it. They do some awesome cover ups but other than that, the show is pretty the same every episode. The artist going "I can't WAIT to hear this story!/I HAVE to hear this story!" in the most poorly acted way possible and then making like it's the most horrible tattoo they've ever seen. When you skip all that, I think you get maybe 5-8 minutes of them actually tattooing.

I think tattoo redemption should be them having to fix their mistakes. That hula girls face was jacked as hell.
Speaking of actual fun things, I was super tickled to discover that none of the revisitation process of the canvas to their studios involves the producers springing for laser treatments. So you get all that comical drama and "will they/won't they" tension which is all ultimately undermined by the fact their flesh is still marred by horrendous atrocity that got onto there in the first place. From the promos it was easy to assume it might be a show about coverups, and the fact it isn't is a gilded gift of schadenfreude. I cannot wait until we get to the episode featuring 'Magical Mike' and more precious moments of him opening his unbelievably dumb yap on camera. With a jesus hairdo, no less! This is going to be way, way better than that dour 'PSYCHIC INK' experiment.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 12, 2015

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

savinhill posted:

St Marq was obnoxious in all the right ways, fuckin miss that dude and his hilariously over the top confessionals.

I liked Katie too, she just had a good, chill-seeming personality, plus it was interesting every week whether she was gonna nail a tattoo or not. Chris got some great weird reaction faces too

I didn't mind St. Marq at all, and I'm kind of surprised to see how many people didn't like him. He was one of the best tattoo artists on the show, and he knew it. The fact that they got rid of him ahead of no-talent pokers like Duffy and Tyler is just really loving weird. I mean, those two are just BAD. I'm sure they're lovely people and all, but they are in the wrong industry. I suck at playing the piano; you don't see me out there trying to do it professionally (and getting all buttmad when someone points out that I suck).

I mean, sure, St. Marq was a dick, but he could back it up with real talent. That stained glass tattoo was a loving masterpiece (while fresh) although it probably won't age super-well.

The difference in talent this season seems huge. We're already in episode 11, and there are STILL two tattoo "artists" that should never have made it on to the show. I'm shocked at how BAD some of these people are. I would expect the people on the show to be mediocre - we're not going to see Ed Hardy on this poo poo - but it's pretty breathtaking how poo poo some people are at their chosen profession. Why would you become an artist if you've got no idea what, say, a human thumb looks like?

Katie is cool. I wouldn't wear any of her work on the show, and I don't like her style (either as a tattooist or as her outfits). But she's a rock-solid tattooist. She knows her limits, and works within those limits. She is by no means in the top five artists, but she's always been able to turn out good work in a good style.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm working my way through the rivals season and it's just so horrible. Like a train wreck you can't stop watching. It seems like people are more competent in later seasons versus the first and second season where every tattoo was horrible.

The Rivals season was unwatchable.

I like me some lovely television - I keep it on while I'm working on other things - and I couldn't watch that poo poo. I ended up skipping to the end to see the tattoos.

Edit: at least it didn't have "Tatu Baby" on it. gently caress, was she awful. Her chosen moniker makes me cringe in secondary embarrassment, particularly given how mediocre her actual ink was. I'd rather watch Rivals three times in a row than have to suffer through another season of the judges twisting themselves into loving knots trying to justify keeping her around week after jacked-up week. She wasn't chosen as audience favorite because of her work, that's for drat sure.

I guess I just have a serious problem with people who can't let their work speak for itself. If you're a great tattooist, then be a loving great tattooist. Leave the eight inch high heels and stupid facial hair at the door; spend a little less time choosing "wacky" outfits and a little more time learning basic anatomy.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 13, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is anyone else getting really tired of Chris' ~Master Manipulator Alliance Leader~ bullshit? He's a good artist but dude you just have Tyler kissing your rear end because that's all he does, stop acting like you have this intricate plan that no one cares about.

Edit: I...wh...what? How the gently caress do you literally say Chris's tat will look like dogshit in 6 months and Matt's tat looks like a black hole on her neck...and then choose Erik because "He didn't fully follow the challenge" Holy poo poo, that was utterly absurd. I think I might be done with the show this season at this point.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 16, 2015

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I loved Matt's face when Dave said they were going to be tattooing on the "most delicate skin on the body." He totally thought they were going to be tattooing people's junk or some assholes or something.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao the mystical mike episode of redemption did not disappoint.

"It's apocryphal that you should let your body be adorned by someone else without consulting me first!"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
He's trying to pull a Survivor Richard but it is just tattoos dude. He at least knows how to work the producers.

Best thing about this season is watching the artists mouth back to the judges. The level of idgaf this show is dumb I just want to make tattoos is nice to see.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OldTennisCourt posted:

Edit: I...wh...what? How the gently caress do you literally say Chris's tat will look like dogshit in 6 months and Matt's tat looks like a black hole on her neck...and then choose Erik because "He didn't fully follow the challenge" Holy poo poo, that was utterly absurd. I think I might be done with the show this season at this point.

I strongly suspect that the fact that Erik was trying really hard to avoid drama (by randomly assigning most of the skull picks) but Chris and Matt are doing their darnedest to create drama (by loving each other over every chance they get) was a factor there.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I strongly suspect that the fact that Erik was trying really hard to avoid drama (by randomly assigning most of the skull picks) but Chris and Matt are doing their darnedest to create drama (by loving each other over every chance they get) was a factor there.

Yeah, that was really obvious by how desperate they were to scramble for poo poo to send him home over. I can deal with drama and poo poo, but there's something deeply wrong with a show that sends a talented artist home because he doesn't want to take part in poo poo no one cares about. Does anyone really watch this show for the lame overdone drama ?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lmao the mystical mike episode of redemption did not disappoint.

"It's apocryphal that you should let your body be adorned by someone else without consulting me first!"

That poo poo was great. I never watched that season of Ink Master so I haven't experienced mystical mike. That dude just spouted complete nonsense every time he opened his mouth and I loved how the Ink Master (runner up?) and the canvas would just give him a puzzled blank stare.

That lovebird tattoo was ugly and boring though.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

KilGrey posted:

I think Chris annoys me more than Tyler. He thinks he's so clever. I also still can't get passed the overalls. I mean, if you want to have a signature type thing (like Oliver Peck always wearing red shoes) okay, but to make that thing be overalls and bright t-shirts?
Everyone this season has a signature clothing item, it seems. And yes, Chris made the dumbest choice. Chris, overalls. Craig, bright hoodie, bright shirt. Cruzman, vato plaid. Tyler, striped A shirt with optional hoodie. Erik, muted button up. Mustache boy and his stupid vest. etc etc

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, that was really obvious by how desperate they were to scramble for poo poo to send him home over. I can deal with drama and poo poo, but there's something deeply wrong with a show that sends a talented artist home because he doesn't want to take part in poo poo no one cares about. Does anyone really watch this show for the lame overdone drama ?

This show in particular, probably not, but that's pretty much the number one reason people watch reality TV and the production companies that record it are keenly aware of that and will try to maximize drama, even if the actual participants of the drama don't really give a poo poo behind the scenes.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

That was my exact reaction, too. That triangle tattoo was just terrible, and Chris's was just unappealing.

Redemption reminded me just how ridiculous Mystical Mike is, and how cool Jime is. I love how they build these people up to think they're going to be working with a brand new and reputable artist only to be completely caught off guard. Dave Navarro really is a smooth talker, man.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh my god, the drama on Redemptions is amazing. I want an entire show revolving around Mystical Mike being an epic douche.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Oh my god, the drama on Redemptions is amazing. I want an entire show revolving around Mystical Mike being an epic douche.

Bad enough the guy is a lovely tattoo artist, but then you add in his personality and inability to shut the gently caress up and you get something special.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Matt's tattoo was horrible and he deserved to go home, but I'm glad they called Chris out on putting that much white in. They do that way too much on this show (and wayyy too much on Tattoo NIghtmares) and only get called out once a season or so.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Katie was always decent to be around (she left the shop to go work with Matt again a few months after I started), but sources close to me are saying that she has really let her recent "fame" go to her head. Apparently she recently had to be asked to leave a restaurant after she flew off the handle and started screaming at her ex about how she's hot poo poo now.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

detectivemonkey posted:

Matt's tattoo was horrible and he deserved to go home, but I'm glad they called Chris out on putting that much white in. They do that way too much on this show (and wayyy too much on Tattoo NIghtmares) and only get called out once a season or so.

Agreed. Doesn't large amounts of white turn yellow really quick, too? So it looks good for an after session picture but 6 months later it'll look gross.

XIII posted:

Katie was always decent to be around (she left the shop to go work with Matt again a few months after I started), but sources close to me are saying that she has really let her recent "fame" go to her head. Apparently she recently had to be asked to leave a restaurant after she flew off the handle and started screaming at her ex about how she's hot poo poo now.

Well that's disappointing to hear. Can't wait to see her cop 'tude on the finale.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Not Today Satan posted:

Agreed. Doesn't large amounts of white turn yellow really quick, too? So it looks good for an after session picture but 6 months later it'll look gross.

Well that's disappointing to hear. Can't wait to see her cop 'tude on the finale.

Someone said that and I believe it. Best-case scenario it disappears way before the rest of the tattoo.

I'm curious about Matt's claim on the black bib. I know it will fade, but will it fade enough to look normal (long horizontal line on top notwithstanding)? Don used the same excuse last season on one of his tattoos, I remember.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

White is pretty dependant on skin tone. I have really white skin and it lasted fine on me for 13 years (till I covered up the tattoo in question). Tanning and sun exposure kill white too. However when it's used as a highlight etc it tends to work out on most tattoos because when used sparingly it will tend to look white in comparison to the surrounding area. It's about using it thoughtfully.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^SA's own new school master, ToastFaceKillah, used white in one of my tattoos, but she used it the "right" way. There are no big patches of it, only highlights and accents. Plus, it's on my thigh, so it doesn't see sunlight and has stayed white really well.

detectivemonkey posted:

Someone said that and I believe it. Best-case scenario it disappears way before the rest of the tattoo.

I'm curious about Matt's claim on the black bib. I know it will fade, but will it fade enough to look normal (long horizontal line on top notwithstanding)? Don used the same excuse last season on one of his tattoos, I remember.

It will lighten up some, but not a huge amount. Some tattooers use the same approach with portraits. They'll do it so it seems a little too dark at first, but, once it heals, it will actually be lighter. This is usually done so that they age better, as opposed to something like a portrait you'd see Kat Von D do that super light and looks picture perfect immediately after being done...but won't last long because all the fine detail is so faint that it disappears rapidly. It's also why you'll have people think their tattoo is "faded" because, after if heals, it's not as WHOA HOLY poo poo THAT LOOKS SUPER BLACK as when it was fresh. All in all, Matt's tattoo will lighten up, but it's still way too dark and I'm surprised as poo poo that he made it through with it.

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 18, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It really is obvious they wanted Erik off since he was being really chill and didn't want any part of any drama, so they took the one time he made a relatively bad tattoo and kicked him off. The problem was the other two tats were magnitudes worse so you're left with the judges desperately scrambling for a halfway decent reason to kick him off which amounted to "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he um, uh, didn't follow the challenge close enough."

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is anyone else getting really tired of Chris' ~Master Manipulator Alliance Leader~ bullshit? He's a good artist but dude you just have Tyler kissing your rear end because that's all he does, stop acting like you have this intricate plan that no one cares about.

Yeah; he's no master manipulator. He's just a dude who does reasonably decent work and likes to think he's better than he is. I wonder if people like that ever see a drop in business after these sorts of shows?

I'm also done with the series after this season. I really could not care less about the manufactured drama. Showing master tattoo artists critiquing work could be an entire episode and I'd much rather watch that. Like I'd love to learn more about the history behind certain styles, or how various tattoos age, or how different art wears on different skin types.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
Tyler got beaten by a rose. That is all I could have ever wished for.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009
Decent Ink Master Episode, Craig is doing questionable work and really Kruseman should have won. Yes it was simple but it was hands down the best one of the day. Matt totally killed the flash challenge and got screwed on that bit I think.

Retribution was one of the best episodes so far, Watching Jason tell that bitch off was awesome.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Active666 posted:

Retribution was one of the best episodes so far, Watching Jason tell that bitch off was awesome.

I haven't watched any of the new spin offs yet, are you talking about the chick who walked out on Jason's finale backpiece last season? If you are, did they make her look like a vapid, attention-starved idiot again?

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

savinhill posted:

I haven't watched any of the new spin offs yet, are you talking about the chick who walked out on Jason's finale backpiece last season? If you are, did they make her look like a vapid, attention-starved idiot again?

Jason even called her one to her face, he went off in an epic way as soon as she came into the "shop". She rolled up trying to be friendly and give him a hug. He steps back puts his arms up and says " I ain't got no love for you." and it just got better from there.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Oh wow, that sounds good, even much better than Navarro's trolling interview of her, gonna have to watch soon. The reason I asked is cuz I hate seeing retards being rewarded for being an actual rl rear end in a top hat by getting to appear on TV again, but if they're going at it from a total "gently caress this person" angle then I wanna watch.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

savinhill posted:

Oh wow, that sounds good, even much better than Navarro's trolling interview of her, gonna have to watch soon. The reason I asked is cuz I hate seeing retards being rewarded for being an actual rl rear end in a top hat by getting to appear on TV again, but if they're going at it from a total "gently caress this person" angle then I wanna watch.

For her yes, it totally throws Dave off and he ends up kind of apologizing to the girl and saying he had never seen him act that way or expected him to react in such a fashion towards her.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Thursday Next posted:

I'm also done with the series after this season. I really could not care less about the manufactured drama. Showing master tattoo artists critiquing work could be an entire episode and I'd much rather watch that. Like I'd love to learn more about the history behind certain styles, or how various tattoos age, or how different art wears on different skin types.

Then you might like Vice's series about tattooing. No drama, just good subject matter. http://www.vice.com/series/tattoo-age

Totally missed Redemption, now I have to see it tonight.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Not Today Satan posted:

Then you might like Vice's series about tattooing. No drama, just good subject matter. http://www.vice.com/series/tattoo-age

Totally missed Redemption, now I have to see it tonight.

Oh, excellent. Thank you for the recommendation! I'm home sick, so this will be my poison for the day.

Edit: Catching up on Ink Master; watching the throat tattoo episode. It's watchable if you skip forward past the talking head segments.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Craig is really underperforming this season. He hasn't done more than one tattoo that was as good as the weekly domination he was bringing in S3. It's disconcerting.

savinhill posted:

Yes, Jason loving blows up in her retarded uptalking face and it's so, so satisfying to watch. He shuts her down on every level with real deep-seated rage that isn't an invention of editing.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Finally watched Redemption and whoa, Jason was awesome. It was so funny seeing that girl act completely aloof about the situation. Lasering sucks, but so does bitching out on a commitment.

• Locked thread