Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
i dont understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
It informs you just how much of a pretentious hipster the person is.

It's the Fedora of the Music world.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrG06Le53CE

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I have a friend who gets some records every once in a while. Its actually sort of neat, because it sort of forces you to listen to whole albums instead of just tracks. Like at parties sometimes he throws on the vinyl copy of the Marshall Mathers LP or something and everyone there always just has a blast going through the whole thing , even digging the skits and poo poo that nobody would go and youtube these days

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

They go so well with your beard, suspenders, and nerd frames.

e. Just remembered I have two records in my house that were my brother's: Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War and some Ulver album pressed in white

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 9, 2015

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
*hides the 1 vinyl record he owns out of sight*

Idiots.,..

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the bigger format allows for more detailed art on the sleeve

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
You can hang them on a wall unlike an mp3

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its kinda cool to have them, they're big and shiny

i dunno, whats the point of books?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Fonzarelli posted:

its kinda cool to have them, they're big and shiny

i dunno, whats the point of books?

I loving hate trees, THAT'S WHAT!

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

I've gotten albums that sell for 30 or more dollars on cd for around 6 bucks.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

skeletonotherkin posted:

i'll remember this tip next time i'm planning to buy a cd

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the only vinyl you should own is the kind you get when your parents die

Parallax Scroll posted:

i'll remember this tip next time i'm planning to buy a cd

lol

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
eh my wife works in the music industry so buying albums is pretty much the only way I can financially support a bunch of people that spent six hours in a bus to play music at a show I didn't pay for

also it comes with all the digital stuff so that's a good bonus

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
there isn't one

hth

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

with vinyl you can hear your music degrading each time you listen to it. life is poo poo, and it's important to remember this even when you're listening to joyous music

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Some people are old and still have working record players.

My mom still has a working 8-track tape deck.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I have a novelty record with honky tonk piano music and it sounds hilarious at 78rpm

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Thats another cool thing you can get hosed up and pretend youre dj screw if you have some 45s

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The sound quality is better like how VHS has better quality than bluray

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
there's no point to it, but its a neat hobby if you like music and you have the money to invest in a turntable and some records

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
it's a hobby

also you can do some pretty neat poo poo with vinyl (picture discs, splatter/swirl vinyl, etc), plus there's a lot more room for neat liner designs

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

skeletonotherkin posted:

That's funny. I've gotten cd's for around 6 bucks that sell for 30 or more dollars on vinyl.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I usually only buy albums that I really enjoy. It's nice to have to play for when friends come over and they sound great.

Now excuse me while I smoke my cloves and drink my pbr.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's called "conspicuous consumption" op

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
its fun, op.

dont buy too many because thats dumb though

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
It's physical. It's a big dumb disk you can pick up, with a big colorful cover. It's a fun sensation, although a very consumist one.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

It's fun listening to whole albums start to finish.

Plus old audio amps and stuff like that are built so much better. My 10 dollar goodwill kenwood m1 has a thd of .0005% and 105 watts per channel

A similar modern amp is like over a grand

So if you're gonna get an old amp might as well get other old poo poo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If people want to collect them, that's fine. What really gets me is when people claim they sound better which is a line of bullshit.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The sound quality is better like how VHS has better quality than bluray

its cause its analog, look at this idiot who never had a vhs player

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vinyl+MP3 combo is the best.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

EL BROMANCE posted:

Vinyl+MP3 combo is the best.

Its Called "AutoRip" in TYOOL 2015, HTH.

human being

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Jose Oquendo posted:

If people want to collect them, that's fine. What really gets me is when people claim they sound better which is a line of bullshit.

records will sound better, provided they are in immaculate condition. Not really a reason in and of itself to listen to vinyl of course,

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

BiohazrD posted:

It's fun listening to whole albums start to finish.

Plus old audio amps and stuff like that are built so much better. My 10 dollar goodwill kenwood m1 has a thd of .0005% and 105 watts per channel

A similar modern amp is like over a grand

So if you're gonna get an old amp might as well get other old poo poo

you realise you can listen to a whole album from start to finish as MP3s, right?

I dunno I've got like 100 records, they're bulky and annoying and my record player's cartridge broke years ago and I've never bothered replacing it. Having a little hdd is much better imo.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Records would be somewhat practical if you didn't have to flip them every 15-20 minutes, but its a chore to listen to them

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

opus111 posted:

you realise you can listen to a whole album from start to finish as MP3s, right?

i don't have any records but with mp3's there is always some rear end in a top hat that has to take control and switch songs around and cut songs off halfway through

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ramsus posted:

i don't have any records but with mp3's there is always some rear end in a top hat that has to take control and switch songs around and cut songs off halfway through

you mean at a party?

i learned a long time ago that, unless im DJing, don't expect anything from the music, in fact go to the kitchen where you can't hear it, because generally people have abysmal taste in music and it doesn't pay to get involved.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Oh.. you didn't get the memo? They sound worse but have a "warmth" that no one except a giant nerd could even try to explain. Also they wear out and I don't think need to continue. Use google.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
it's more fun to break up your weed or set up some fat lines on an album cover than on your samsung's screen i guess

i found a seed in a rush album once (2112, natch) and it actually sprouted but my roommate's cat ate it like a piece of poo poo, so lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I found a few boxes of good LPs in my parents' garage including the first few Chicago albums, Fly Like An Eagle, Innervisions, and Joan Baez's Christmas record (which is awesome and has orchestrations by Peter "PDQ Bach" Schickele)

• Locked thread