Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Records would be somewhat practical if you didn't have to flip them every 15-20 minutes, but its a chore to listen to them

:eng101: If you buy 45s you can simulate being a speed freak when listening to music because the countdown starts the second the needle hits the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
True music aficianados will only listen to their music underneath a layer of this bullshit.
It makes all music sound better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOY8pXNu-ew

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

ghlbtsk posted:

True music aficianados will only listen to their music underneath a layer of this bullshit.
It makes all music sound better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOY8pXNu-ew

thank u for my new soundtrack at home

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
http://youtu.be/tEIArZw-TsQ

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
http://youtu.be/mFWZg5-5UW0

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
http://youtu.be/5Latn4ysQs8

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I am an old and must have 300 of the fuckers. Too lazy to digitize them, they languish in my living room. Primarily as a cat shelf.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Make pots, grow flowers.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

collecting vinyl is p deece hobby yall

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Blue Raider posted:

collecting vinyl is p deece hobby yall

buying things isn't a hobby

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

collecting things is and rooting through used record stores and yard sales is fun

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Sleeveless posted:

Getting your hands on actual collectible items (not 'special edition collectibles') is totally a hobby.... its not just what you buy (although knowledge of what is valuable and rare or what in particular turns you on as a collector is part of it), its also about the hunt, meeting people who have connections to score more or who can tell you about the poo poo you have if blind-searching the internet gives you no information (which, as ridiculous as it sounds, is actually a pretty common occurrence when you get into some odd interests)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
The only reason to own physical media for music anymore is the little fun bits of tangible activity, having something to hold and turn over in your hands, having album art to look at and display in your home, the ritual of operating the player, etc. None of it is necessary anymore, but it can have some fun appeal to it, and if you're going to own physical media just for the sake of owning physical media, there's no reason to use anything but vynil. It's big, it's old-fashioned, it's analog; it does all those niche appeals of physical media better than any other format.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Some stuff is only available on vinyl because it was never transferred to CD. Maybe the mastering tapes were lost, or the company who owns the masters doesn't think the CD will make money.

for example a lot of:

-big band
-jazz
-disco
-one-of-a-kind personal recordings (like old high school band concerts)
-sound library production music
-etc

Currently you see a lot of music like this going straight to itunes or google play because it is cheaper than producing CDs. Personally when I see a recording I like on digital, or released on CD, chances are that source is cleaner, but rarely they screw it up.

Also, sometimes the only source is an original wax cylinder or early 78 record, and the CDs come out and they apply a denoise filter that can sound worse than just having the noise, because of the Mpeg jaggy sound.

And, Liner notes. not every CD release gets the full text, or photos that a record might have had. I was going to recommend an example from an Acker Bilk album that has hilariously written notes. but google image search didn't turn it up.

But the OP is likely talking about modern bands releasing on vinyl, which is neat because it gives a super fan something physical they can collect. They add a reason to buy that goes beyond the music itself. They aren't meant for people who are moderately fans, or for folks that just want to listen to the music, and thus they are priced accordingly.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Semi-serious answer: it gives you a reason to go to record stores.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I have a bunch of CDs and a decent amount of vinyl. I like hunting for music at thrifts and estate sales especially considering how inexpensive they are.

I haven't had to move in a while so I may feel differently when lugging that poo poo up and down stairs.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Bugdrvr posted:

I haven't had to move in a while so I may feel differently when lugging that poo poo up and down stairs.

^This, records are heavy as poo poo. And any decent collection will destroy your shelves.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

ChaosTheory posted:

Also, records are heavy as poo poo. And any decent collection will destroy your shelves.

My favorite used music store collapsed a few weeks ago due to having too much vinyl upstairs (Thrift Trader on University in San Diego). I was there that day and skipped the upstairs cause the floor always felt wobbly. Guess that was a good thing.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you can listen to the music to get stoked then go out and play frisbee with it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ChaosTheory posted:

^This, records are heavy as poo poo. And any decent collection will destroy your shelves.

ikea kallax shelves do the trick. those sum bitches are rugged

also a lot of new vinyl comes with a digital download codes. thats pretty common for new releases

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
and don't even get me started on DeeJaying parties and such. About 150 lbs of lp's and 45's to lug around and keep updated at no small expense.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

compact dicks

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Bugdrvr posted:

My favorite used music store collapsed a few weeks ago due to having too much vinyl upstairs (Thrift Trader on University in San Diego). I was there that day and skipped the upstairs cause the floor always felt wobbly. Guess that was a good thing.

lmbo

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
Yea no it's not really useful if your primary interaction with music is blasting skrillex in the background while watching Let's Play videos or other video game stuff. Which, let's be honest here, that's where you're coming from.

Calbiyum
May 18, 2015
my dad is playing one right now since he probably cant work youtube or mp3s

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Depending on what type of music you're into, a lot of smaller labels/bands will only release albums on vinyl. Also records are cool!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
to make autistic people tell you about Nyquist-Shannon (It's me, I'll tell you about Nyquist-Shannon).

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

They're for playing music op, you seem as dumb as the doorknobs you can't operate. (Those are for opening the door)

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Bugdrvr posted:

lol. Oh you will...

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
What's more pathetic, collecting vinyl or posting dull comments on an internet forum?

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Because every CD is brickwalled to poo poo thanks to muh loudness wars, whereas vinyl in most cases is made from a less-compressed master

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

we made it 2 pages

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

they're big and pretty, and the nonsense involved in playing one is enough ritual to convince your idiot primate brain that what you're doing is important.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I wish more places would sell lossless audio. At this point they're doing like 360 kbps lossy. For twice that they could go lossless for most music.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!

ChaosTheory posted:

Currently you see a lot of music like this going straight to itunes or google play because it is cheaper than producing CDs. Personally when I see a recording I like on digital, or released on CD, chances are that source is cleaner, but rarely they screw it up.
I'm always kinda curious where they get files like that - are they always from the mastering tape thingymajigs? Or do they sometimes just record a vinyl of it and clean it up digitally?

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Fartmaster posted:

I'm always kinda curious where they get files like that - are they always from the mastering tape thingymajigs? Or do they sometimes just record a vinyl of it and clean it up digitally?

they use computers idiot

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

To the horror of vinyl lovers everywhere the vinyl master is cut off of a digital file.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
It may be hipstery, but I enjoy the old mastering. My Generation just sounds better to me on vinyl.

There's also the nostalgia of the crackle of vinyl.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I too am troubled that people might be interested in things which I am not.

Gbs, much like a broken record

• Locked thread