Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Silver95280 posted:

This is my one big critism about this manga. The girls are introduced WAY too quickly. It should have been 10 chapters of Miia, 11 and 12 introduce Papi and Cerea, and have the power trio until 20 or so.

I believe this is because the author holds polls on his website about what monstergirl the fans would like to see next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The sooner centaur girl shows up, the better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

killstealing posted:

geez fine, I won't shag your mom

drat. drat.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

Silver95280 posted:

This is my one big critism about this manga. The girls are introduced WAY too quickly. It should have been 10 chapters of Miia, 11 and 12 introduce Papi and Cerea, and have the power trio until 20 or so.

It's a monthly manga. I'm no writer, but when you're making something that's driven by a varied ensemble cast, literally waiting an entire year before introducing your third character might not be very good pacing.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Pringleton posted:

It's a monthly manga. I'm no writer, but when you're making something that's driven by a varied ensemble cast, literally waiting an entire year before introducing your third character might not be very good pacing.

I suppose. My idea would work better for a weekly series than a monthy one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This anime is dangerous. I just watched the first episode, and I don't think I was prepared for my #1 violent waifu to be a snake lady :stare:

I think I might be the true monster

e: I also like how Agent Smith's entire character concept is that she's The Worst.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 14, 2015

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Command Ant posted:

Aaw, what's the matter? You pansies afraid of short women?

(I kid, I kid. Papi is the source of some of the best humor)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

This anime is dangerous. I just watched the first episode, and I don't think I was prepared for my #1 violent waifu to be a snake lady :stare:

I think I might be the true monster

e: I also like how Agent Smith's entire character concept is that she's The Worst.

Just wait until you get to Arachne with her razor legs and her penchant for tying people up in bondage.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i dunno why you all were ragging on centaur and harpy, harpy's hilarious in her doltery and i would absolutely hang out with and fight in valiant battle alongside centaur

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Why are people even bothering to discuss the animal-women when Ms. Smith is clearly the best.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Why are people even bothering to discuss the animal-women when Ms. Smith is clearly the best.

The director must be a fan of Ms. Smith.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Papi and Suu are the best cause they have the lewdest jokes, which is what makes this thing funny/worth watching/reading.

everyone else is just padding. (except ms. smith and her squad the real stars of this show)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Papi and Suu are the best cause they have the lewdest jokes, which is what makes this thing funny/worth watching/reading.

everyone else is just padding. (except ms. smith and her squad the real stars of this show)

Suu is going to be hard for the show to get right because all she does is hover around and then misinterprets what to do. She speaks maybe twice in the entire series and spends the rest being a slime monster not understanding social conventions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leper Residue posted:

everyone else is just padding.
I think you'll find they're all-natural.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

pentyne posted:

Suu is going to be hard for the show to get right because all she does is hover around and then misinterprets what to do. She speaks maybe twice in the entire series and spends the rest being a slime monster not understanding social conventions.

Yeah I wasn't going to include her in that statement but still when she does talk or do things it's usually pretty good, at least better than the whole 'squeezes him to death, kicks/tramples him to death, or ties him up to uh something.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Gyra_Solune posted:

harpy's hilarious in her doltery

And the cause of her doltery is quite funny, in and unto itself. I don't know if the anime is going to hit that point, though ...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

same

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

So it's you, Namtab, who is actually the best girl?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
hapi papi the harpy parpy and suu are the best girls

centorea :getout:

miia is ok too

Syenite fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 15, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sorry, but Centorea is the best, and thou art objectively wrong if thou thinketh another opinion!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
the ntr mermaid is acceptable-tier ok-girl as well

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
spider is as ok as miia, more ok than ntr fish

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Why is the mermaid an ntr-fish? Also, slime girl is a cute concept so I hope the reality lives up to my hype

edit. Oh, that'll be fun

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 15, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

Why is the mermaid an ntr-fish? Also, slime girl is a cute concept so I hope the reality lives up to my hype

She's an ntr-fetishist.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Droyer posted:

She's an ntr-fetishist.
That'a a bit different from what I remember, which is that she was obsessed with tragic love.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Paracelsus posted:

That'a a bit different from what I remember, which is that she was obsessed with tragic love.

More specifically she idolizes the Little Mermaid, the actual story and ending.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Can someone spoil me on whether this is the sort of harem thing where everyone's on a roughly equal footing, or if it's the sort where there's one girl the lead clearly likes and the rest exist to run interference because the author can't write ongoing relationships (and his target audience probably wouldn't recognise one anyway)?

Comparative anatomy effortpost #2, Teen Bird Girl

Let's just ignore that she doesn't seem to have to flap her wings to fly as a bit of artistic licence...

Haast's eagle (which has unfortunately extinct for the last 600 years*) weighed around 15kg but only had a wingspan of ~2.6m. So Papi's wings aren't that implausibly small, assuming the rest of her is about as light as it could be, though I'd have liked them to be broader (and there's no way she could fly while holding an adult human). It's also clear that her wings are modified arms, not hands, which is all good bird anatomy. Those vestigial fingers actually do turn up in some South American bird, the name of which I can't remember or be bothered to look up.

OK, good stuff over: she has birdy-looking legs, but normal human knee articulation, this is a bit weird as what you'd probably want to call a bird's "knees" are actually its ankles (this is true of most things that seem to have "backwards knees") so she's lost a joint somewhere. That's not too implausible, but it would have been nice if she'd had very long upper legs maybe with three distinct joints. (but that would lower her :aatrek: appeal, and apparently we can't have that)

Something I can't believe this show didn't capitalise on: in order to keep flapping those big wings of theirs, birds need massive pectoral muscles. This means that Papi was the one girl in the show they actually had a semi-plausible excuse to give a ludicrously oversized chest, and they didn't use it.

Speaking of chests, she'd also need pretty heavy-duty lungs to have the stamina to keep flapping for any length of time. (Birds have crazy respiratory systems, go look it up)

Without a tail (or feathers on the legs? That could have worked) she's not going to be a very stable flyer.

Finally, birds aren't stupid, generally, certainly not compared to snakes or spiders.

Waifu plausibility rating: 4/10 Could work, just not very well. Also you're a paedophile.

I'll have a lot more to say about the LARP horse, I'm planning on abusing some terminology to make geneticists sad.

*Did you know that New Zealand was only colonised around 1300 AD? I didn't.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
don't attack my waifu with your science and facts

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The manga has measurements of Papi's wing span. They're pretty big, from what I remember.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Dzhay posted:

Finally, birds aren't stupid, generally, certainly not compared to snakes or spiders.

If birds are so much smarter than spiders how come there are bird eating spiders? :colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dzhay posted:

Can someone spoil me on whether this is the sort of harem thing where everyone's on a roughly equal footing, or if it's the sort where there's one girl the lead clearly likes and the rest exist to run interference because the author can't write ongoing relationships (and his target audience probably wouldn't recognise one anyway)?
It's closer to the former than the latter. Miia is First Girl and tends to have pride of place in promotional material, but the MC doesn't obviously favor her in the plot like Rosario + Vampire's MC did with Moka.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
They made it perfectly clear in the show that Papi is not a child, so you're being incredibly sexist and misogynist by judging her body like that.

Also, still racist.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Command Ant posted:

They made it perfectly clear in the show that Papi is not a child, so you're being incredibly sexist and misogynist by judging her body like that.

Also, still racist.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Dzhay posted:

(and there's no way she could fly while holding an adult human).

Papi actually carries Miia at one point with little difficulty. Yes the ~1000lb snake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like the series will end or at least reach the point where they allow monsterfolk polygamy because everyone loves the main dude and he's not made anyone out to be special yet. They've even mentioned it a few times.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like the series will end or at least reach the point where they allow monsterfolk polygamy because everyone loves the main dude and he's not made anyone out to be special yet. They've even mentioned it a few times.

It's what I'm hoping.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

It's closer to the former than the latter. Miia is First Girl and tends to have pride of place in promotional material, but the MC doesn't obviously favor her in the plot like Rosario + Vampire's MC did with Moka.

The manga is trying to push the plot along and having the MC determine a specific girl to be with, but it doesn't look like we'll really reach that stage any time soon. The first three probably have the "best" chance but only because they've gotten the most development and attachment to the MC.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
A lot of the later cast are just kinda freeloading at the dude's house, with no romance to be found.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HellCopter posted:

A lot of the later cast are just kinda freeloading at the dude's house, with no romance to be found.
There's one who IIRC has a slightly different relationship with him, but I don't think we'll see her this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HellCopter posted:

All of the girls who live with him are romantically interested in him in some way. Suu is probably the least romantically interested I think.

• Locked thread