Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Have there been any beta rules posted or people who have actually played? I pre-ordered the book as a Mordheim alternative/compliment, but I don't want to play $20 for something that looks pretty but isn't a very good game.
This is a pretty good review of the game by someone who got an advanced copy. Seems pretty promising to me.

http://thegaragegamers.blogspot.com/2015/05/frostgrave-fantasy-wargames-in-frozen_25.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Works for me - thanks for the link.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
that is the review I read that made me go ahead and buy it, I figure its only 20 bucks on amazon, and sounded neat from his review.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
http://www.amazon.com/Frostgrave-Fantasy-Wargames-Frozen-City/dp/1472805046/

Frostgrave hardcover just dropped to 13 dollars for some reason

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Amazon pre-order is guaranteed to ship at the lowest price from the time you place your order, right? Right? PLEASE BE RIGHT!!!

EDIT: Screw it, I cancelled the first order and just purchased at the new price.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 10, 2015

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

signalnoise posted:

I was thinking about waiting until after release to hear more about it, but this sealed the deal for me! Hoping it'll be decently popular here in Norway.
Do we know which schools of magic are aligned yet? Illusionist looks fun.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

berzerkmonkey posted:

Amazon pre-order is guaranteed to ship at the lowest price from the time you place your order, right? Right? PLEASE BE RIGHT!!!

EDIT: Screw it, I cancelled the first order and just purchased at the new price.

At least in the UK that's how it works, yes.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

QuasiQuack posted:

I was thinking about waiting until after release to hear more about it, but this sealed the deal for me! Hoping it'll be decently popular here in Norway.
Do we know which schools of magic are aligned yet? Illusionist looks fun.

https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources/

I'm not sure what you mean by aligned, but that link has a spell cards PDF you can use to take a look at what the spells for each school do. That might help you out.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

muskets posted:

https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources/

I'm not sure what you mean by aligned, but that link has a spell cards PDF you can use to take a look at what the spells for each school do. That might help you out.

Pretty much every review I've read has said that every school of magic in the game is aligned to three of the other schools, neutral to four, and opposed to one.
You can learn any spell in the game, but get negative modifiers to your dicerolls the farther removed they are from your chosen school.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I know it's early for a game that nobody has played yet, but Amazon has pre-orders going for the expansion Thaw of the Lich Lord. Right now, it's $14.19, (21% off retail,) so maybe if enough pre-orders are taken/buzz is generated about it, the price will drop like the core book did.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone know if they plan to sell a deck of spell cards? I'd totally get real printed cards over doing it myself with punch out business cards printed at home. I'd be willing to pay for that. I'd have it done myself but I don't wanna infringe on anything...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Preordered. I look forward to checking this out, nice low cost rule set that allows me to still use some of my orphaned Warhammer pieces...

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I got my force today at Connecticon. 10 bucks for Super Dungeon Explore Von Drakk Manor.

Team Necrodoom in SD effect!

What is man but a miserable little pile of secrets!?

:metal:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I would love to see the reaction if you played a chibi squad against someone who went all out on the official minis.

I humbly request that you pull out your Robotech Miniatures poo poo for counts-as marksmen.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

This sounds fairly interesting.

Can anybody give examples of the spells (or an overvieew of the schools)?

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Mojo Jojo posted:

This sounds fairly interesting.

Can anybody give examples of the spells (or an overvieew of the schools)?

The resources link upthread has a complete set of spell cards with the rules for every spell, if that helps.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

muskets posted:

The resources link upthread has a complete set of spell cards with the rules for every spell, if that helps.

I completely missed that. Cheers.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I just saw this and got really pumped about Frostgrave.
Daffy Duck The Wizard

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

jodai posted:

I just saw this and got really pumped about Frostgrave.
Daffy Duck The Wizard

That was... interesting? I couldn't tell if it was real or just really clever editing until the Daffy voiceover.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

13 bucks is worth taking a flier on a new skirmish game, IMO. It helps that I can use all these bones models I already have.

Edit: I've done the World Works terrain on foamcore thing for D&D games. It's a lot of cutting and you go through a shitload of x-acto blades but it works pretty well. I'd grab the Himmelveil Streets and Thoumont's sets and you'd be totally set for a Victorian city board that stores fairly compactly.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 11, 2015

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Pre-ordered, can't wait to play this. I'll have to evangelize to my people.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheLawinator posted:

Pre-ordered, can't wait to play this. I'll have to evangelize to my people.

Just sell it as d20 Mordheim without crazy henchman advancement rules that uses models you already have. It sells itself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Implying its anything like the D20 rules would be a massive NO SELL for me, personally. :v:

This needs to come out already. I wish I at least knew what schools of magic are associated with eachother so I could look at those spell cards linked earlier and decide what kind of Wizard I'd want to use. Meanwhile I'm left windowshopping for minis.

These two Reaper dudes would make a pretty good Necromancer/Apprentice pair:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Implying its anything like the D20 rules would be a massive NO SELL for me, personally. :v:

This needs to come out already. I wish I at least knew what schools of magic are associated with eachother so I could look at those spell cards linked earlier and decide what kind of Wizard I'd want to use. Meanwhile I'm left windowshopping for minis.

These two Reaper dudes would make a pretty good Necromancer/Apprentice pair:

I've managed to find this, so it seems you're in luck.
http://i.imgur.com/M8kcseah.jpg

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is a pretty good review of the game by someone who got an advanced copy. Seems pretty promising to me.

http://thegaragegamers.blogspot.com/2015/05/frostgrave-fantasy-wargames-in-frozen_25.html

If this and the $13 price does not convince people to buy in, I am getting a review copy and will post a review. Will put link in thread when time comes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I just realized that my 2x Dragons Don't Share bones boxes will be PERFECT for the terrain in this game. Hell yes.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Do you also have some of Germ's broken stone wall scatter terrain? Seems like it would compliment that Dragons don't share set well.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

jodai posted:

Do you also have some of Germ's broken stone wall scatter terrain? Seems like it would compliment that Dragons don't share set well.

Yeah I've got to get some scatter terrain for this. Any link to his site around? Any goon coupon codes or anything?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

jodai posted:

Not yet

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
4ground do some really nice prepainted lasercut MDF stuff, too - a bunch of their fantasy and historical stuff would work well. It's pricy, though.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

TKIY posted:

Yeah I've got to get some scatter terrain for this. Any link to his site around? Any goon coupon codes or anything?

http://worldsmithindustries.com/
I'm not sure about coupon codes but he has been working on a new terrain set so he may do a kickstarter again or have something special in the works.

Also, 4ground is expensive but a lot of their stuff is prepainted so all you have to do is punch it out and put it together.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Ask, and ye shall.... For the next month, "GOONGRAVE" shall grant goons a 10% discount on stuff from worldsmithindustries.com .

Thanks for the kind words, all! I'm in the midst of doing a lot of ruined-themed terrain that should be perfect for Frostgrave. I usually post updates on the Terrain thread. Will be finishing up some more carving tonight, and should have some more stuff posted in a week or two. I've got my eye toward another kickstarter, because, damnit, the economy of scale makes it so much easier to get stuff done all in one fell swoop rather than creating, producing, and selling pieces piecemeal.

drat, but I'm excited about this game. Between it and Kings of War, I'm pretty sure I'm going to survive the death of WHFB. Folks at my club are already gearing up for the switch, after a big 40k/WHFB 8th Ed event next weekend.

What the hell is up with Amazon, though? Preordered it for $18, and half a week later I cancelled that order to re-preorder it for $13. Dirt cheap. I had planned on just using existing models, but after seeing the official Frostgrave models, they're everything the shovel-handed big-headed GW Free Company models should have been. Yes, Please!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Germ posted:

Ask, and ye shall.... For the next month, "GOONGRAVE" shall grant goons a 10% discount on stuff from worldsmithindustries.com .

You are a God amongst men. I shall place an order tomorrow.

Can we spread this around to the other TG threads?

Germ
May 7, 2013

TKIY posted:

You are a God amongst men. I shall place an order tomorrow.

Can we spread this around to the other TG threads?

As long as you pimp Frostgrave in the process, yesgoon!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
God I hope this game is good. I have so many ideas for warbands/miniatures to paint! I have the necromancer and 10 of the soldiers to paint up to start with but theres also other models i've found that would be perfect for this game.

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=wolf~hfh046&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-humans as a barbarian. The HF fantasy range also has another cool looking barbarian and a chaos knight looking dude (plus the scooby doo gang in their more modern range, might pick them up)

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/product_info.php?cPath=121_147_148&products_id=1457&osCsid=31b0q1jijhcanb9gc0aem6jnn2 This dude is definitely going to be a wizard in a warband if the game is fun. They have like 5 other models that I would use for an apprentice.
EDIT: Its the first chinese wizard on flying cloud model if the link is taking you to a login screen.

http://store.warlordgames.com/products/ancient-britons-mastiffs-pack/ And dogges :)

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 12, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I desperately need to know how much base size matters.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I desperately need to know how much base size matters.

I'd say size doesn't matter, but that's just me being polite.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Anyone know of a cheap set of fairly generic (plastic) skeleton warriors? I know there's mantic and wargames factory; are there any other ones on the market?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

No Pun Intended posted:

Anyone know of a cheap set of fairly generic (plastic) skeleton warriors? I know there's mantic and wargames factory; are there any other ones on the market?

Bones? You can't get much cheaper than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

No Pun Intended posted:

Can't say I know of any others in the usual hard plastic. Mantic have two kinds and I really like them designwise. The WGF ones are cool looking but REALLY fiddly and fragile, so I mostly use the one box I got as a source of conversion bits for undeadifying things. If you're only looking for a few there's some nice skeletons in Reaper Bones if you don't mind the bendy stuff - I know I'm using a bunch of Bones stuff for wizards and demons and such.