Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

No Pun Intended posted:

Anyone know of a cheap set of fairly generic (plastic) skeleton warriors? I know there's mantic and wargames factory; are there any other ones on the market?

The Bones ones are fine once you get them painted, but you'll probably have to do the thing where you stick them in warm water to straighten out their weapons. Cheap as hell, though, you can get them in 3-packs for 5 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The "official" undead bundle is just an assortment of Mantic undead. For the price, I don't think you could do much better (bones excluded.)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

The "official" undead bundle is just an assortment of Mantic undead. For the price, I don't think you could do much better (bones excluded.)

This is totally true, if you just want some melee skellies I'd grab this: http://www.thewarstore.com/product52996.html

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Anyone know if there is a company that makes Undead that look kinda like the ones behind the Lich dude here?

That ancient Bablyonian(?) look is pretty cool on undead.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone know if there is a company that makes Undead that look kinda like the ones behind the Lich dude here?

That ancient Bablyonian(?) look is pretty cool on undead.

I don't know about undead but they're making a second plastic box for Frostgrave and if I had to guess I would say its probably got something to do with that book. The only clue on what it was going to be was a picture of a Klan looking dude.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Finally, an excuse to use a bunch of the Reaper wizard minis that I've liked the look of but haven't had anything to use them for. Assuming they're the right size; what's the scale anyway?

Edit: Book is cheap enough that I may as well preorder, if I can find anyone to play with I'll probably pick up the official minions box

Edit 2: Reaper is 25mm, official Frostgrave minis are 28mm. Is there a very noticeable difference there?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 12, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Found my answer:

I AM SO loving PUMPED

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Finally, an excuse to use a bunch of the Reaper wizard minis that I've liked the look of but haven't had anything to use them for. Assuming they're the right size; what's the scale anyway?

Edit: Book is cheap enough that I may as well preorder, if I can find anyone to play with I'll probably pick up the official minions box

Edit 2: Reaper is 25mm, official Frostgrave minis are 28mm. Is there a very noticeable difference there?

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2015/06/frostgrave-soldiers-size-comparison-shot.html#comment-form

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

signalnoise posted:

Found my answer:

I AM SO loving PUMPED

Coolness! I'd bought a figure to use as a Necromancer for use with Mordheim a while back, but never got around to painting/basing him, but now I have an excuse to do so. Just need to find him a suitable apprentice now. :v:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I wasn't too pumped about the official minis, but the idea of just picking a couple of RPG minis from whatever range is out there really appeals to me (not to mention all of the old RPG figures I accumulated over the years). I'll be interested in scale/base size rules.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Corbeau posted:

I wasn't too pumped about the official minis, but the idea of just picking a couple of RPG minis from whatever range is out there really appeals to me (not to mention all of the old RPG figures I accumulated over the years). I'll be interested in scale/base size rules.

What base size rules are you expecting? The only ones I can imagine are measurements for shooting and magic and I expect they're measured to the base like every miniature game ever made that isn't AoS. I'm not being sarcastic here, I just can't see base size being a huge problem in this game.

On another subject, I'm looking for cheap terrain. Infinity makes a scenery set that I can grab for less than £10 but its futuristic so obviously thats a last resort. Is there anything like that for fantasy settings?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'd just like to know what size/type of bases are expected to be in scale with ranges and such. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd rather have things in sync. I assume that 25mm round will be the standard, from the prior posts? The section in that screen shot that states that there's no standard convention makes me wonder if base measuring is really a thing or not (though I'd hope so - magic cylinders are the wargaming standard for ease of use).

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Corbeau posted:

I'd just like to know what size/type of bases are expected to be in scale with ranges and such. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd rather have things in sync. I assume that 25mm round will be the standard, from the prior posts?

I'd expect 25mm for standard humans, with your choice of square or round, and 40mm for any of the bigger monsters (so far, only the greater demon comes to mind for that). The licensed Frostgrave Soldiers come with round bases, but I don't think the wizards do. All of them are on tabs like most historical miniatures i've seen. If you want things to sync up then check with the people you're going to play with.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I bought it, even though I am sure there will be no one players here in ATL. Mostly I bought it because I wanted an excuse to buy the new Reaper mouslings. I will shoehorn them in somehow.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I always liked the chunky old school GW style that the Celtos undead had: http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Celtos/Fir%20Bolg.html

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ok I'm in... £13 is a low enough cost to take a punt on it... now begins the task of convincing my gaming buddies to give it a whirl

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

Ok I'm in... £13 is a low enough cost to take a punt on it... now begins the task of convincing my gaming buddies to give it a whirl

I've been teasing my gaming buddies with Frostgrave, none of us are WHFB players but I have so many fantasy miniatures from teenage D&D playing and more recently the Bones Kickstarter deals that it should be easy to devote a couple of game nights to this and see if we like it.

e: don't know how many old-school players of Mordheim there are here but the designer of that game has an interesting post/essay about how it came about and how he sees it nowadays: https://www.facebook.com/DesignbyTuomasPirinen/posts/1621557418092683?fref=nf

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 13, 2015

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

I've been teasing my gaming buddies with Frostgrave, none of us are WHFB players but I have so many fantasy miniatures from teenage D&D playing and more recently the Bones Kickstarter deals that it should be easy to devote a couple of game nights to this and see if we like it.

Yea it shouldn't be too hard to convince my friends to give it a whirl if I'm brutally honest, the hard part will be finding the time to play and convincing them to leave guild ball alone for just one week :)

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
It's cheap enough on amazon mainland europe to also get IHMN and the expansions.

Now to start getting my warband together - are there any lists public yet or do we have to wait till the book launches? Only thing I know is that your mage starts with 500gc.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

from

http://thegaragegamers.blogspot.com/2015/05/frostgrave-fantasy-wargames-in-frozen_25.html

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Thank you very much.

Now to figure out how to get my monkey tribe under these rules. I really want my wizard to have these guys as troops:

These are Lucid Eye's Simians.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Definitely going to buy the rulebook soon. I'm 99% I can play the game entirely with my Bones II minis, not to mention the rest of the stuff I have. That said, I am REALLY tempted by that soldier box. They look fantastic, and it's a great deal for that many minis and options.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Commissar Kip posted:

Thank you very much.

Now to figure out how to get my monkey tribe under these rules. I really want my wizard to have these guys as troops:

These are Lucid Eye's Simians.

Nothing is stopping you using them in your warband, unless you are really gunning for a different stat line, I don't see why you couldn't use them as thugs.

The Garage Gamers posted:

I can not recommend this game highly enough, it gives enough details about the city, but not the world to allow all sorts of great combinations of models to be used in it, create and theme your own warband and wizard to your taste. Tailor him specifically from many combinations to your own tastes.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 13, 2015

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
So excited.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I hope I can keep the excitement up in my group for this. I dabbled a bit in Mordheim when I was a teen but never really got to do anything about it, in spite of loving the concept to bits. We all have tons of fantasy models so it should be easy to start this poo poo up, except for terrain. Stoked!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like that the game is upfront about strategy and so on. It tells you outright that more expensive is better but not exponentially better. That's really useful to know and makes lower-tier hirelings more attractive as an option.

I wonder if those weapons have different stats. I'm inclined to build for speed and flexibility with rangers, trappers and thieves, but obviously if a staff or dagger has a huge drawback compared to a sword I might have to add a bodyguard to stick close to the wizard. And that's me now being able to make a strategy without me really knowing the rules beyond "uses a d20, opposed sometimes." That's cool!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I've put in my order. I'm pretty keen!

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
I'd love to see a bit more flexibility with the weapons though. Or maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Flexibility, because I have some cool mini's of dual wielding swordsmen. I want to give my dudes two swords of whirling death. Before they get killed by a mass of 20 gc thugs.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Treasure Hunter is your deal. Sword and dagger ahoy and speedy as hell.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I don't think anybody would be angry if you said that the second weapon on your model was used for parrying, ie a shield. We also still need to see what the weapon stats actually are

But only having the one dual-wielder is a little odd, yeah.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I just realized that I could probably use my Confrontation dudes for this game, and now I am pretty excited. Although I don't know if I have great miniatures for both a Wizard and an Apprentice, most of the dudes are pretty fighty. Can you have a buff muscle-wizard to lead your bros?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If the different weapons don't have different rules I'm finding it hard to figure out why an infantryman is worth 2 and a half thugs. Maybe if you're upgrading dudes in a campaign and you've hit the 8-model cap for your crew?

edit: I guess you can one-shot a thug if you roll a 20, you can't do that to an infantryman.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 13, 2015

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know if they plan to sell a deck of spell cards? I'd totally get real printed cards over doing it myself with punch out business cards printed at home. I'd be willing to pay for that. I'd have it done myself but I don't wanna infringe on anything...

I was already in the process of adapting another person's power card design for 13th Age to fit on 2.5" x 3.5" cards to print for myself. With very few changes, I churned out some spell cards for this game using the PDF from Osprey's site. Assuming nothing changes, the card front the should look like this:

The (not-at-all print-ready) card fronts are all in a PDF file here if you want to take a look.

I haven't got the book yet so I have no idea what, if any, changes might be useful to these. Once I've been able to go over the rules and get an idea if it's necessary, I can work on the card backs and output a complete PDF ready for anyone to upload and print at DriveThruCards (assuming it's okay with the person whose original design I used). With 80 cards printed on their premium stock, it should only come to US$6.80 + shipping.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I was planning on making some cards at makeplayingcards.com but I need permission

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I could kiss you

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ashcans posted:

I just realized that I could probably use my Confrontation dudes for this game, and now I am pretty excited. Although I don't know if I have great miniatures for both a Wizard and an Apprentice, most of the dudes are pretty fighty. Can you have a buff muscle-wizard to lead your bros?

Well, from what I've seen, Wizards start out with +2 fighting (Apprentice +0), which puts them at the same level of melee skill as the weaker minions you can hire. However you could use an Enchanter as your Wizard, Enchanter comes with some buffs that could be used to boost themselves up for melee a little bit.

ParsleyTroll
Nov 26, 2007
I am getting really hyped for this game! Pre-ordered a few days ago, about to take a look at my old chaos sorcerer and get him a round base in preparation for his minions to arrive. That card looks beautiful by the way!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A round base isn't really required I'd say.

signalnoise posted:

Found my answer:

I AM SO loving PUMPED

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
Frostgrave rules wishlist:

Dual wielding so I can use an extremely angsty assassin dude to full effect:

So much darkness...

Brutal Hand-To-Hand combat because then I have a reason to get the Martial Arts Fanatic in the Fistful of Kung Fu Martial Arts Heroes set.

Also so I can list an extremely orientalist "Lo Pan" warband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Commissar Kip posted:

Frostgrave rules wishlist:

Dual wielding so I can use an extremely angsty assassin dude to full effect:

So much darkness...

Brutal Hand-To-Hand combat because then I have a reason to get the Martial Arts Fanatic in the Fistful of Kung Fu Martial Arts Heroes set.

Also so I can list an extremely orientalist "Lo Pan" warband.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr59028.html