Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the thread, though I wonder if this game will have enough to talk about. Well, it saves from cluttering up the warhammer thread. Lots of important discussion there :v:

This game looks really good and the rules are cheap and you can use any miniatures you want, so you should all try it out.

Since we don't have the rules yet, I'll ask about miniatures. I've ordered a box of the generic soldiers for my brothers warbands but i'm probably going to make a Dwarf one for myself. For the core of it i'm going to go with http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/dwarfs/1278-dwarf-pathfinders-regiment-box?search_query=dwarf+pathfinders&results=1 but for my wizard and his apprentice i'm having a hard time. Anyone seen any awesome Dwarf wizardy type models? The rune priests are ok but don't really grab me.

I'm buying the Empire battle wizards for one of my brothers wizards, they look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you are after Dwarves that are special characters the answer is always Reaper Miniatures. Search for Dwarf plus one of these, wizard, priest, cleric, Druid, or just browse the 8 pages of dwarfs until you find the one you like.

E: add dwarf Mage to that search, there is a good female figure option

Thanks for this, but online stores in the uk seem to have spotty stock with the Reapers range. I'm sure i'll find something, or look into doing a conversion with the half of the pathfinders box I won't need.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Safety Factor posted:

The only issue I see with running a necromancer-led warband made out of Vampire Counts models is that none of the models have ranged weapons. They can always be converted if needed though. Direwolves will make decent warhounds and grave guard are perfect for knights and templars. I'm probably out of luck for thieves, etc. but maybe ghouls could count as something. I did notice in a review I checked out that there are actual neutral skeletons, but I can always work around that.

In practice although it would be best to have WYSIWYG just having ranged and close combat models differentiated would likely be enough. Its only a 10 miniature a side game (11 maximum).

You could even paint the rim of the base on models with ranged weapons in a pinch.

Thanks everyone for Dwarf suggestions, i'll be looking into all that once i've played a few games and know its worth creating a nice warband for (i've got generics and a necromancer coming which will be enough for non campaign games).

If this takes off I might need dogges as well. Chaos warhounds and Warmachine war boars are an option.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
God I hope this game is good. I have so many ideas for warbands/miniatures to paint! I have the necromancer and 10 of the soldiers to paint up to start with but theres also other models i've found that would be perfect for this game.

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=wolf~hfh046&category=fantasy-%26%0D%0Asteampunk~fantasy-humans as a barbarian. The HF fantasy range also has another cool looking barbarian and a chaos knight looking dude (plus the scooby doo gang in their more modern range, might pick them up)

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/product_info.php?cPath=121_147_148&products_id=1457&osCsid=31b0q1jijhcanb9gc0aem6jnn2 This dude is definitely going to be a wizard in a warband if the game is fun. They have like 5 other models that I would use for an apprentice.
EDIT: Its the first chinese wizard on flying cloud model if the link is taking you to a login screen.

http://store.warlordgames.com/products/ancient-britons-mastiffs-pack/ And dogges :)

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 12, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone know if there is a company that makes Undead that look kinda like the ones behind the Lich dude here?

That ancient Bablyonian(?) look is pretty cool on undead.

I don't know about undead but they're making a second plastic box for Frostgrave and if I had to guess I would say its probably got something to do with that book. The only clue on what it was going to be was a picture of a Klan looking dude.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Corbeau posted:

I wasn't too pumped about the official minis, but the idea of just picking a couple of RPG minis from whatever range is out there really appeals to me (not to mention all of the old RPG figures I accumulated over the years). I'll be interested in scale/base size rules.

What base size rules are you expecting? The only ones I can imagine are measurements for shooting and magic and I expect they're measured to the base like every miniature game ever made that isn't AoS. I'm not being sarcastic here, I just can't see base size being a huge problem in this game.

On another subject, I'm looking for cheap terrain. Infinity makes a scenery set that I can grab for less than £10 but its futuristic so obviously thats a last resort. Is there anything like that for fantasy settings?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Corbeau posted:

I'd just like to know what size/type of bases are expected to be in scale with ranges and such. It wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd rather have things in sync. I assume that 25mm round will be the standard, from the prior posts?

I'd expect 25mm for standard humans, with your choice of square or round, and 40mm for any of the bigger monsters (so far, only the greater demon comes to mind for that). The licensed Frostgrave Soldiers come with round bases, but I don't think the wizards do. All of them are on tabs like most historical miniatures i've seen. If you want things to sync up then check with the people you're going to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

I spoke with a very helpful Amazon rep. The supplier (Osprey I guess?) short shipped Amazon and so they couldn't meet the demand. My order, for whatever reason did not get fulfilled from the batch they did get, and so I get the next order sometime in mid August to mid September. That sucks, but they were very nice and gave me some other perks as an apology. I think they liked the line "It's a game book for little toy soldiers not insulin, I think I can manage a short wait."

In the mean time I can paint, model terrain, and read my reference copy if I actually want to play some test games.

Thats most likely amazon bullshit. They didn't order enough because they didn't expect to sell as many as they did. Congrats on the free perks you got though.