Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

13 bucks is worth taking a flier on a new skirmish game, IMO. It helps that I can use all these bones models I already have.

Edit: I've done the World Works terrain on foamcore thing for D&D games. It's a lot of cutting and you go through a shitload of x-acto blades but it works pretty well. I'd grab the Himmelveil Streets and Thoumont's sets and you'd be totally set for a Victorian city board that stores fairly compactly.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

No Pun Intended posted:

Anyone know of a cheap set of fairly generic (plastic) skeleton warriors? I know there's mantic and wargames factory; are there any other ones on the market?

The Bones ones are fine once you get them painted, but you'll probably have to do the thing where you stick them in warm water to straighten out their weapons. Cheap as hell, though, you can get them in 3-packs for 5 bucks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

The "official" undead bundle is just an assortment of Mantic undead. For the price, I don't think you could do much better (bones excluded.)

This is totally true, if you just want some melee skellies I'd grab this: http://www.thewarstore.com/product52996.html

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If the different weapons don't have different rules I'm finding it hard to figure out why an infantryman is worth 2 and a half thugs. Maybe if you're upgrading dudes in a campaign and you've hit the 8-model cap for your crew?

edit: I guess you can one-shot a thug if you roll a 20, you can't do that to an infantryman.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 13, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Esser-Z posted:

Hrrm. I suppose I just will have to use someone else, then, and use that mini in a different game!

It's not like your wizard has to be WYSIWYG, you know.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

I really hope no one gives me poo poo for having monsters as my troops..

I picked up werewolves and wraiths before realizing they were on the random encounter table.

If you want to have dedicated random encounter monsters, maybe you could base them differently or something? Paint a ring around the base edge, maybe.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd just say that wizards can be defeated but they're never killed, just to prevent someone from being totally hosed like that. Maybe that can be how the other player gets all the treasure remaining on the board, as the downed wizard's crew has to drop everything to help the wizard get out of dodge.

Edit: I think any treasure you make it off the table with should be yours no matter what, since you're sacrificing crew members to get it. Otherwise, why wouldn't I just let you grab it all then take my 5 man advantage and kill you?

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 22, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

VacuumJockey posted:

Yes - I should have been a bit clearer about that; I'm not sure if ASL is even a thing these days. But 25 years ago it was considered the serious wargame here in Copenhagen. :sperg:

It's still around, but it's so relatively expensive and time-consuming that I don't know anyone who actually bothers with it anymore given the wealth of alternatives. I get the urge to get into it sometimes until I realize we're talking hundreds of dollars for cardboard chits.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can buy the female head sprues (typing that is weird) straight from the source if you want, shipping to the US is a flat rate: http://www.statuesqueminiatures.co.uk/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Springfield Fatts posted:

I know it's not Frostgrave but there isn't an Osprey thread, has anyone seen anything about Black Ops? If it's a future-modern Frostgrave I'm totally down.

My copy showed up today, when I give it a read I'll write something in the misc wargaming thread.

Edit: It's not like Frostgrave at all. If I had to compare it to anything, it'd be a waaay lighter version of Infinity.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 21, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Cool, I look forward to your overview. Infinity-Lite sounds exactly up my alley.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037&pagenumber=55#post451709101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like Thaw of the Lich Lord is shipping out from Amazon US, I just got an e-mail.