Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

signalnoise posted:

Did they write the rules with a specific base size in mind? I don't have the rules yet.

Did they pull inspiration from any other specific games, perhaps Mordheim?

How does he feel about people in the US using proxy models out the rear end because they don't want to pay shipping from the UK?

Any additional prospects for US distribution?

The plastics're on 25mm rounds, if that helps. I thought I'd heard about a US stockist, but I can't for the life of me remember where or who, so I may have imagined that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I already preordered the rulebook, two wizard blisters and a box of troops, and I'm making troops in advance from old Empire Militia sprues and Perry infantry. Gonna dig through the Reaper Bones stash and my Mantic undead later for wizards and monsters, too.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Haha holy poo poo, that is awesome. I hope their sculpting budget allows for a white pegasus. Or maybe he'll have a spell called "The Power of Wings..."

He won't have spells - that's the Apothecary, not a wizard.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

QuasiQuack posted:

I was thinking about waiting until after release to hear more about it, but this sealed the deal for me! Hoping it'll be decently popular here in Norway.
Do we know which schools of magic are aligned yet? Illusionist looks fun.

https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources/

I'm not sure what you mean by aligned, but that link has a spell cards PDF you can use to take a look at what the spells for each school do. That might help you out.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Mojo Jojo posted:

This sounds fairly interesting.

Can anybody give examples of the spells (or an overvieew of the schools)?

The resources link upthread has a complete set of spell cards with the rules for every spell, if that helps.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
4ground do some really nice prepainted lasercut MDF stuff, too - a bunch of their fantasy and historical stuff would work well. It's pricy, though.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

No Pun Intended posted:

Anyone know of a cheap set of fairly generic (plastic) skeleton warriors? I know there's mantic and wargames factory; are there any other ones on the market?

Can't say I know of any others in the usual hard plastic. Mantic have two kinds and I really like them designwise. The WGF ones are cool looking but REALLY fiddly and fragile, so I mostly use the one box I got as a source of conversion bits for undeadifying things. If you're only looking for a few there's some nice skeletons in Reaper Bones if you don't mind the bendy stuff - I know I'm using a bunch of Bones stuff for wizards and demons and such.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
North Star said they were shipping for things to arrive by the 20th, and we know it's all pretty much ready to go as it's shipped to the Nickstarter preorders already.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

BeigeJacket posted:

When is the plastic box of guys being released? Those fellows look amazing.

Monday.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

No Pun Intended posted:

I have a box at home from northstar :dance:

Envy. I've got two orders placed with them - a load of frostgrave stuff and a load of winter basing stuff. If I get it this week I'll be really happy - I'll have time to get it ready for club next week.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I don't think anyone has the book yet...

Nickstarter people within the UK will have it - it shipped out at the end of last week.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Thundercloud posted:

Is there a good place to get Reaper Bones in the UK? Thinking of some Purple Worms, monsters and henchmen.

Miniature Heroes usually have pretty good stock of Bones, and they do regular Reaper orders for anything backordered.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Pierzak posted:

OK, I'm in. Mostly because I need a reason to dig up and paint a shitload of Reaper Bones and other random minis. Two questions:
- how frost-specific is Frostgrave? If I wanted an overgrown ruins lost to the jungle or cursed desert tombs do I have to houserule anything, or just renaming if anything?
- I'll be working from the list on the previous page as reference. Do I need any specific size/shape of bases, or should I go with whatever's appropriate for the mini's size?

All you have to do really is change up some of the monsters in the random encounters section to be less ice-themed, and those're optional anyway. And base size doesn't seem to really matter - bigger bases will make it easier to get lots of people in combat with you, though, and the bonuses for outnumbering are cumulative.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

The Malthusian posted:

Osprey did not have any of the plastic Frostgrave soldiers at Gencon, so I was thinking about ordering some. Are there any American distributors or sites that carry them?

Brigade Games are the US stockists - they seem to have stock at $35 a box.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Otisburg posted:

Finally got a chance to do more than skim this and maybe it's the lack of an index or maybe my poor reading comprehension... but where is the equipment list for mundane armor and shields?

Wizards and apprentices can't get it, and soldiers can't take magical versions of things they don't have the mundane version of, so they just rolled the stats for those into the unit profiles.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

TheDiceBagLady posted:

I've just made five adventurers out of kitbashing the plastic soldiers box and the statuesque female bald heads. Really easy to do, and the result I think is awesome. I sell the heads and troops of course . Wasn't entirely commercial, was partly to prove some people on another forum wrong (that it wouldn't work) and to find out which of the heads I stock work best. Statuesque heroic are PERFECT. Others are a bit small. And then I actually had fun and did some painting outside of my tin box office!

http://thedicebaglady.net/frostgrave-solider-box-set-of-20-troops/

Brilliant work on those - any tips on green stuff hair? Not something I've tried before.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

jodai posted:

They can if they're the wizard!

Wizards can't wear armour in Frostgrave.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Throbbing blob posted:

Where do eurogoons order their Northstar soldiers from? Directly from the manufacturer? Surely there must be somewhere that can beat £5 shipping to the EU.

Also, my group is set to test out the rules later this month with a full-blown campaign starting in October. Kind of stoked for a small side-project along all of the huge never-ending army projects that never seem to get finished.

:negative:

£5 shipping to the EU is pretty much at-cost I'm afraid, might be hard to get cheaper than that.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Otisburg posted:

Apparently the rifle is from the Wargames Foundry survivors sprues.

That'll be Wargames Factory, not Wargames Foundry. Both make a lot of nice stuff, but Factory are the chinese ones who make plastic sprues that used to be crap and are really nicely detailed on the new stuff, while Foundry are the ones with a huge library of metals for most historical periods and a load of ex-citadel Perry historical stuff.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Otisburg posted:

They're only letting you buy the spell deck as part of the crazy overboard 200+ pounds sterling preorder level?

Fuuuuck that, I'll just get a bootleg one printed for 15 bucks.

Not super thrilled with most of the critter options compared to what else is out there. I'll probably just get level 3 as well. From the Dicebaglady, who is both good and cool, even for us ignorant Colonials.

I think that means Thaw of the Lich Lord, not the Lich Lord tier - don't know, though, without backing, and I won't have the cash for a few weeks.

Edit: Also it says that only they can PRE-ORDER - it'll be going on sale at retail for everyone.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Springfield Fatts posted:

I know it's not Frostgrave but there isn't an Osprey thread, has anyone seen anything about Black Ops? If it's a future-modern Frostgrave I'm totally down.

I have it on order from my LGS, but someone else will probably have info before me - they're a bit slow about things like that. Different author than Frostgrave, though, so I expect it'll be quite different mechanically. Osprey's thing with their wargames line is to throw a whole bunch of authors at the wall nice and cheap and see what sticks at the moment.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

LeSquide posted:

So, is there a thread to discuss the other Osprey wargames? I just picked up Fistful of Kung Fu and Black Ops.

The indie wargames thread has discussed both recently I think - they're probably a good start.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Got my Nickstarter stuff direct from North Star today - The bard gives +1 Will to soldiers within 6", the Crow Master comes with a free Blood Crow that's a flying monster with only 1 health (comes back next game if it dies), Javelineers are only 25gc for a 10" ranged attack that works as a melee weapon too but they have +0 F/S, and Pack Mules are a Thief but swapping +1 Fight and an inch of movement for the ability to carry three items.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Otisburg posted:

Thank you, Muskets.

Do the Pack Mules have the option to hand the items off, then? Like a scroll/potion caddy kind of thing?

Yeah, they can give an item to or swap an item with a soldier within 1" - either model can use their activation for it.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Loxbourne posted:

Is there more to the Crow Master than just "has a crow" ? How tough is the crow? I was hoping for some "aaaaah get it off meeeee" distraction tactics, or perhaps being able to draw LOS or even cast spells through it.

The crow's M9 F0 S0 A14 W3 H1 with Animal and Flying (ignores all terrain and movement penalties), the Crow Master himself is M6 F0 S0 A11 W2 H10, costs 100gc once you have a Crow Roost in your base (which is another 100gc for as many crow masters as you like), carries a hand weapon and leather armour, and can't carry anything except treasure. I think with the high speed and avoiding obstacles, the crow'll be credible for messing people up by forcing them to Fight rather than cast or shoot - it's kind of an expendable hassle.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Sulecrist posted:

How much does a Mule cost? (Dice Bag Lady, I love you but the lack of nickstarter shipping updates is killing me slowly.)

The Mule's 20gc, unless you meant the mini, in which case it'll almost certainly be in a 2-for-£6 blister with something else.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Sulecrist posted:

Okay 20 gc is actually a pretty good deal for that. I'll prolly get one. Maybe I'll use an actual mule model. Or a dunkey.

(Hi muskets! Sorry I'm not itc; I'm at a dumb airport on a dumb business trip. You went Tier 3, right? How does the metam Templar look?)

They showed him on the nickstarter page - he's a sort of morose looking dude with a hammer:

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

enri posted:

Right, I'm signed up for a secret santa (not SA, elsewhere) and my recipient has made a note that they play historicals / fantasy the most... I know they've picked up a bunch of frostgrave stuff recently so I figured a bunch of generic monsters would tick the right boxes... so with a ~£10 budget, I need to find some plentiful supplies of gribbly horrible monsters without breaking the bank.

£10 doesn't get you far in terms of models these days, I was half tempted to pick up the two blisters of constructs for them so they have small / normal / large to play around with but not sure if there's better I could do. That would put me slightly over budget but I don't mind spending a couple of quid over.

If you were to receive frostgrave stuff as a secret santa, what would you think was ideal if you'd just bought nothing more than the rulebooks and the expansion and the soldier / cultist box sets?

Any recommendations? :)

(heeeelp! :ohdear:)

Miniature Heroes have decent stock of Bones in usually, or maybe check out TT Combat for some lasercut terrain - there's not much in their fantasy line yet but a fair bit of the 'gothic scifi' range would work for Frostgrave and it's all dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Grey Hunter posted:

So I got a box of the plastic soldiers for Xmas, and I was wondering, how would people make them up to best serve two gangs? I guess I should make 2 each of the Longbow/Crossbowmen, but after that, I'm not sure how many of the other classes I should make to best use my box.

Any suggestions?

Work out 300gc spent on 9-10 models, then build two of that. Go with what you think's cool, it doesn't matter overly much if some stuff is suboptimal in a mirror match.