Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champs come Sunday?
This poll is closed.
McGregor, Lawler 47 23.86%
McGregor, MacDonald 20 10.15%
Mendes, Lawler 83 42.13%
Mendes, MacDonald 27 13.71%
Aldo, Hendricks 20 10.15%
Total: 197 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Nierbo posted:

I much rather have the fight go on a bit too long tbh than have months of excuses. like Frank mir says 'let me take my beating for failingto be the better fighter'

the absolute opposite of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

This. Finishes like Smith/Sell or Trujillo/Varner only happen with bad fighters. Brain trauma is no small thing. I want my fighters to have a good career and retire to do further cool stuff, rather than see them become Micheal J Fox.

By the way. Edson Barboza had the poo poo kicked out of him by Jamie Varner. I think I'll throw that in there just 'cuz.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
http://i.imgur.com/aMKEbtW.gifv

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

in the op please

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

in the op please

Conor's picture for the rest of all time in any post referencing him. Nothing less will do.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

this is cool but all I think about is how jon jones can't dunk a basketball and yet he has beat the poo poo out of everyone in the world. So i feel like the more you criticize Conor McGregor being unable to jump over a log he will proportionally do more cocaine and beat up more fathers in the octagon.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

conor looks loving terrible in the press conference and i'm really curious to see him in the championship rounds. if he can function at full steam then doctors should be studying him.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I saw one of him at night at (I guess) the same place, and being able to do it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
:toxx: I will take a 1 month probation if Conor wins.

I don't want a bet on this. I want all the Conor supporters around to rationalize after he gets embarrassed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
BJJScout put up a video about 189, where he talks about footwork in the context of three of the main card fights being southpaw vs orthodox. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_deSjlHCVJw&hd=1

One thing he does neglect to note is that there's another way to react to having your lead foot beat, which is lead hooking inside their lead hook/jab - Ward did that to Dawson all night, and it lets you kind of throw yourself into the clinch (which is a good place to be when you're the bottom of the T, for the same reason takedowns are). It's riskier and more difficult than defending your way out of the weak plane, though.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Footwork is one of the most fascinating parts of fighting for me so this analysis is really drat cool - thanks for posting.

e:
And this right here makes me like Conor more than any non-fight thing I've seen him in.

double negative fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 10, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

I saw one of him at night at (I guess) the same place, and being able to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O73ZeK1Saco

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Skip My Posts posted:

is dan miragillota or whatever known as a good ref?
After Carwin-Mir I will forever know him as Manslaughter Miragliotta. He has probably caused more indirect brain damage than Josh Rosenthal did from his garage.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
yo im excited to see this grappling advantage conor has, imparted from months of training with his moldovian coach

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SquirrelGrip posted:

yo im excited to see this grappling advantage conor has, imparted from months of training with his moldovian coach

I know that there's been some fun making GBS threads on Conor's Eastern European wrestling coach, but take a moment to consider that Georgia, Estonia, and, Lithuania have a combined population of 7.9 million, and at the 2012 Olympics took home a combined 8 medals. Georgia on its own, with a population less than 4 million, had 6.

The US had 4, and sent as many athletes as those three countries combined.

So yeah, maybe an Eastern European wrestling coach isn't such a bad thing.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CommonShore posted:

I know that there's been some fun making GBS threads on Conor's Eastern European wrestling coach, but take a moment to consider that Georgia, Estonia, and, Lithuania have a combined population of 7.9 million, and at the 2012 Olympics took home a combined 8 medals. Georgia on its own, with a population less than 4 million, had 6.

The US had 4, and sent as many athletes as those three countries combined.

So yeah, maybe an Eastern European wrestling coach isn't such a bad thing.

Moldova isn't Georgia, Estonia or Lithuania, though.

Moldovans have won a single medal in wrestling at the Olympics, bronze back in 1996

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Moldova isn't Georgia, Estonia or Lithuania, though.

Moldovans have won a single medal in wrestling at the Olympics, bronze back in 1996

Yeah, but they also only have a population of like 4 million, and only sent two wrestlers in 2012.

I'm just saying that making fun of him for having a Moldovian wrestling coach is kind of dumb.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
moldovian... apologist?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In related news a Moldovan just got steamrolled on Invicta.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, but they also only have a population of like 4 million, and only sent two wrestlers in 2012.

I'm just saying that making fun of him for having a Moldovian wrestling coach is kind of dumb.

im making fun of him for claiming his months of training with a moldovian gives him a grappling advantage over chad mendes... to the point of saying hes a better wrestler. replace moldovia with any other country or named athlete - doesn't make conor right

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The female Conor McGregor just got completely dominated on the ground in Invicta so things are looking good for Ireland.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

Yeah. If you look at the replay and decide it's really an early stoppage, you can do a rematch. If you wait too long and they eat a dozen unnecessary punches, you can't put their brain back together.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I think Conor McGregor will win however I will not be betting on him because -210 is alot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BJ Penn did the pool jump better.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
no he didnt

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
BJ jumped out of a pool then zoomed out into a hot tub with a bunch of bros

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Did Chad Mendes scream "THREEE FEET!"?

No, so it was worse. He just did some spinning poo poo instead.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
add sexy carlos to the card and make it clockwork orange themed, one off the ww ultraviolence gang

mewse
May 2, 2006

I put $100 canadian on chad money. Pain in the rear end learning how to navigate betting sites tho

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'd rather a stoppage be a little late than a little early, but i'd also much rather a stoppage be very early than very late

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Conor is gonna get wrestled in the first but survive and then he's going to knock money out in the second.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

What you can't tell from that video is that Chad Mendes can walk under the thing Conor is jumping on without ducking his head.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Watching the end of that presser and Money and Conor both loving own.

Made all the greater by having Rory for contrast.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

mewse posted:

I put $100 canadian on chad money. Pain in the rear end learning how to navigate betting sites tho

Which site did you use? I've been looking at this one called sports interaction.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

Which site did you use? I've been looking at this one called sports interaction.

Placed the bet with pinnacle, transferred funds through instadebit

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Le Saboteur posted:

That's the one I've been using for years. It's Canadian as well.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

That's the one I've been using for years. It's Canadian as well.

Yeah I ended up using Sports Interaction as they had the TKO prop bet for Mendes I wanted to take.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

BJJScout put up a video about 189, where he talks about footwork in the context of three of the main card fights being southpaw vs orthodox. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_deSjlHCVJw&hd=1

One thing he does neglect to note is that there's another way to react to having your lead foot beat, which is lead hooking inside their lead hook/jab - Ward did that to Dawson all night, and it lets you kind of throw yourself into the clinch (which is a good place to be when you're the bottom of the T, for the same reason takedowns are). It's riskier and more difficult than defending your way out of the weak plane, though.

This was cool and i like that they snuck in at the end what i have been telling everyone which is that conors grappling doesnt suck. The last time we saw conors top game was years ago and with an injured knee but he showed a more varied and advanced passing game than chad has ever shown

If conor has the tools to slow things down on the ground and not get caught by something crazy in a scramble i yhink he will do fine on the ground. Big if though

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

This was cool and i like that they snuck in at the end what i have been telling everyone which is that conors grappling doesnt suck. The last time we saw conors top game was years ago and with an injured knee but he showed a more varied and advanced passing game than chad has ever shown

If conor has the tools to slow things down on the ground and not get caught by something crazy in a scramble i yhink he will do fine on the ground. Big if though

I agree that Conor's a significantly better passer than Mendes, but that says nothing about whether he'll be able to do anything from the bottom if Mendes gets him down. If he got Mendes down Mendes would probably be in trouble, but if he gets Mendes down it'll probably be off knocking him down and at that point Mendes is in trouble anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah, the thing that stood out to me there is that while it's true that Conor's passing is more varied, it's pretty obvious just from looking that the video that Chad's passing game is the way it is because he absolutely does not want to let up the top pressure at any time. He'd rather work more for the pass and avoid giving any opportunity for the opponent to get up than try strategies where he can't put his weight on the opponent as much. Conor being a better passer isn't going to be super relevant if he can't get out from under Mendes's top pressure.

• Locked thread