Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Overlord is yet another a web novel that got too popular for its own good and ended up being published on paper as a light novel, albeit in a larger and more expensive format than usual. Now the time has apparently been deemed ripe for an anime adaptation to blemish our precious eyes.

It tells the story of Momonga, a friendless man who's spent a third of his salary on a free-to-play virtual reality MMORPG for the past decade, proudly building a massive guild fortress with his 40 companions, painstakingly customizing guardian NPCs and tweaking textures to make it as imposing as possible to rival guilds. However, the days of this particular MMO's popularity are long gone, and the company running it has announced complete shutdown. On the final eve of service, Momonga walks alone in the silent halls of the once bustling dungeon, waxing nostalgic over memories past. As the clock rolls over midnight, he closes his eyes and ... discovers that the game has turned into reality.

Bet you never heard that one before! The twist in Overlord is that the protagonist chose to play as a lich mage, taking the form of an undead skeleton, and his alignment of evil, combined with a max level character makes him more of the new world's final boss than the struggling hero we're used to as an audience. Exploring this unknown realm, he realizes that his powers far outstrip anything the hapless populace has ever encountered before, and merrily annihilates anyone who tries to oppose him.

Thus the entertainment this series brings is that of watching an incredibly overpowered being wreak havoc on a virgin world.

Official website: http://overlord-anime.com/
Streaming: http://funimation.com/shows/overlord

Light novel translations: http://skythewood.blogspot.sg/p/knights-and-magic-author-amazake-no.html
In Japan there have been 9 volumes published so far, although the original web novel is still available online, covering another 3-5 volumes worth of content. Notable differences include that Albedo (the horny demon lady) is an entirely new character created for the paper version, and some other characters have switched sides in the conflict.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I read the first few chapters of the manga adaptation some months back, and it was alright. I'm liking the show more so far. Hearing the difference between Momonga's thoughts and words is pretty great.

I'm in for a three-ep test for now.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm in at least until the King of the Forest appears.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

darkgray posted:

Notable differences include that Albedo (the horny demon lady) is an entirely new character created for the paper version, and some other characters have switched sides in the conflict.

I didn't realize this. That at least explains why she's super fanservicey and a "major character" but doesn't do anything plot relevant. Real shame the author felt the need to add her.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sword Art Online was bad but the protagonist wasn't a badass skeleton mage. Interested and liked first episode and Albedo is my wife.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the overlord and Shiroe of Log Horizon would get along somewhat. Both are poopsockers with a life outside of the game (or used to). Both seem to be back line types who're more adept at directing tactics than at the front. I might be wrong and the overlord is more like Naotsugu

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I like to read text without pictures, and this is very epic

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Overlord is the story of a Skeleton Wizard who refuses to Log Off

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It was a neat intro episode. Lets see how this goes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Since they're just using the MMO setting as a reason for a normal dopey dude being the villain of a fantasy world, I hope they mostly do away with actual MMO references. Ideally that would happen gradually as the dude gets more and more used to living there.

But as long as it doesn't end up a completely poo poo show this should be entertaining, if only for the premise.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I kind of feel sad for the protag. Like he's not bitter that everyone left, they all had lives and he respect their decisions to leave. I can sort of sympathize with all your friends gone not because of some dramatic meltdown/fight, just everyone drifted away.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the interactions of the former NPC's in the light novel.
They were all created and extensively customized by the 41 players, and they have memories of their creators interacting with them from when it was an MMO.
To the NPC's, their creators are supreme beings that were perfect, and NPC politics in the dungeon starts with 'were you made by a supreme being?'
I realized by the 4th book that to these NPC's, anything made by their creators is sacred, and if the overlord was not around, they would still be in the dungeon, trying to preserve anything made by their perfect masters that granted them life.
It is kinda sad, reading about them thinking about their creator, or the other supreme beings. They are like children, wondering where their mothers went, and the only one left is the leader of the guild, so they devote themselves to him completely.
At one point in the 4th novel, the overlord gives one of the NPC's an item that was given voicework by the creator of that NPC. The thoughts of that NPC are 'I want to hear the voice of my creator again' after he gets the item. It is just so sad, seeing such childlike devotion to people that will probably never come back.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 10, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Since they're just using the MMO setting as a reason for a normal dopey dude being the villain of a fantasy world, I hope they mostly do away with actual MMO references. Ideally that would happen gradually as the dude gets more and more used to living there.

But as long as it doesn't end up a completely poo poo show this should be entertaining, if only for the premise.

I've read what's been translated of the novels and it's never going to completely drop the MMO stuff, but at least in the few novels we have it's definitely been trending away from it. There's one big fight I rather didn't like where it felt way too gamey (the fight with Shalltear) but from the OP I know the anime is going to go further than that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Desuwa posted:

I've read what's been translated of the novels and it's never going to completely drop the MMO stuff, but at least in the few novels we have it's definitely been trending away from it. There's one big fight I rather didn't like where it felt way too gamey (the fight with Shalltear) but from the OP I know the anime is going to go further than that.

It'll still get brought up but mostly because the protagonist has no other way to rate item rarity, the strength of his minions and such. They don't bring up stat screens and level ups and gamey poo poo like that in the LN, so at least that's better than the usual VR-game fare.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cynic Jester posted:

It'll still get brought up but mostly because the protagonist has no other way to rate item rarity, the strength of his minions and such. They don't bring up stat screens and level ups and gamey poo poo like that in the LN, so at least that's better than the usual VR-game fare.
There are stat sheets as supplemental material, just not in the text as far as I know.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I have a feeling this could be really, really good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Or at least a lot of fun.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I like this story cause it's the exact opposite of the usual guy gets transported to magical world thing, where the main character usually becomes that worlds hero.
I also love the fact that the main character even though he never really goes out of his way to massacre humans, he is clearly very comically evil.

He also seems to be actually following most of the The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
I saw this and was quite surprised they didn't translate or (preferably for the main character) explain the names because many of them were the sort of joke MMO names people use for a laugh because they aren't actually taking it all that seriously when they make the character.

I remember one of his friends he mentioned being called "Bukubuku Chagama" which means bubbling teakettle.

Momonga means "flying squirrel."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vengarr posted:

It gets really, really skeezy and gross. I have no idea if it keeps going downhill but I stopped reading it.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
From what's been translated so far, besides the average unneccessary anime bullshit, I can't really remember anything too gross? That's up to volume 4 and I can't really see this series getting past there with 12 episodes.

Then again maybe I'm just desensitised to it all / am skim reading passages too much.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SorcerousHam posted:

From what's been translated so far, besides the average unneccessary anime bullshit, I can't really remember anything too gross? That's up to volume 4 and I can't really see this series getting past there with 12 episodes.

Then again maybe I'm just desensitised to it all / am skim reading passages too much.

He squeezes a chick so hard her intestines burst out

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Can we keep away from LN spoilers and let the anime audience experience the content directly?

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Anatharon posted:

So? That scene isn't even close to being in the same ballpark as the most gory and overdone scene I've ever seen in an anime show, movie, or any other media for that matter.

If you want to see what gore really is go watch some Genocyber.

edit:
Also if you don't like the story then why are you talking about it? If I don't like something I usually stop watching it/reading it, and stop commenting on and reading comments on said story material and let people form their own opinion about said story.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 11, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, surprisingly the show about a skeleton man and his band of fiercely loyal amoral monsters has some gore.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Constanza: That's it, I'm reading the drat novel.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

sounds like a good time

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

It's the one actual gory scene out of what's been translated (this occurs at the end of volume 2 and volume 5 is being translated now), so unless it actually goes downhill in the coming volumes I'm going to continue to give it the benefit of the doubt. It was unnecessarily gross but it didn't play it "for" anything and it only "lasted" like three sentences, so eh.

I drop shows for unnecessary gore sometimes because I'm a big baby, but this one didn't get to me.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, surprisingly the show about a skeleton man and his band of fiercely loyal amoral monsters has some gore.

Maybe I just don't watch enough anime to be desensitized to that sort of thing.

Myurton posted:

So? That scene isn't even close to being in the same ballpark as the most gory and overdone scene I've ever seen in an anime show, movie, or any other media for that matter.

If you want to see what gore really is go watch some Genocyber.

edit:
Also if you don't like the story then why are you talking about it? If I don't like something I usually stop watching it/reading it, and stop commenting on and reading comments on said story material and let people form their own opinion about said story.

I agree, people should never ever talk about things they don't like.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Genocyber posted:

sounds like a good time

:vince:

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Anatharon posted:

She's a total psychopath who tortures and torments people for shits and giggles and you find the main character's reaction offensive?

I think your offensiveness barometer needs a recalibration.

Or you're just trolling us.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

All violence is wrong and I'm protesting this bad anime because of it.

This is a peaceful sit in.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 12, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is a picture of a Jack Russell Terrier:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That is a cute dog that I want to pet.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Those are eyes of pure evil. It practically radiates malice.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i liked the jack russel terrier on frasier

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is a picture of a white morph reddish egret:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What the heck is going on here!?

Fractial
Apr 28, 2005

When we spin we feel good.

Sharkopath posted:

This is a picture of a Jack Russell Terrier:

Jack Russell's are amazing. When I was a kid, my mom's horse-shoer would bring hers over. The 'shoer loved it cause that dog had tons of energy, and me tiring him out helped her later at night haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Do you even know true fear?!

• Locked thread