Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.
Specifically, the orthodox NetBSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

That they're free as in beer, not freedom.

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

RZApublican posted:

That they're free as in beer, not freedom.

What do you mean?

EDIT: If I recall correctly, the BSDs are both! NetBSD and OpenBSD especially, given that the only things not 'libre' are necessary firmware blobs.

dlr fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 10, 2015

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

dlr posted:

What do you mean?

GPL license vs BSD license.

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

RZApublican posted:

GPL license vs BSD license.

And how is the BSD license not free as in freedom? Just because it is more permissive than GPL doesn't make it not free.

EDIT: This is a good read about the the BSD and GPL licenses, and their different focuses on freedom.

dlr fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 10, 2015

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

dlr posted:

And how is the BSD license not free as in freedom? Just because it is more permissive than GPL doesn't make it not free.
I believe the implication is that GPL is not free (as in beer) because it has a (non-monetary) cost that the BSD license does not. Or something along those lines. It is a little surprising you would start a BSD thread and not expect something along those lines.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

ZFS and jails are life and using FreeBSD gives me a stratospheric sort of elitism that alludes those Linux simpletons for the most part.

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

Nam Taf posted:

ZFS and jails are life and using FreeBSD gives me a stratospheric sort of elitism that alludes those Linux simpletons for the most part.

Yep. Pretty much, man. I can't help but feel just a tad bit superior.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

How is ZFS on bsd vs linux?

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

lampey posted:

How is ZFS on bsd vs linux?

FreeBSD's ZFS support is second only to Solaris, IIRC. Linux lags behind a bit, it seems.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

i run a hardenedbsd server and two debian servers, how superior am i?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I could never figure out the ports system on *BSD. Apt-get keeps me on Linux.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

PlesantDilemma posted:

Pkg is going to blow your mind

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

PlesantDilemma posted:

it's so easy though

code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/$group/$port
make install clean
:confused:

it's even easier if you install ports-mgmt/portmaster; with portmaster you can install multiple ports at once and do all the configuration before you even start building them as opposed to configuring a dependency -> building the dependency -> configuring the next dependency -> building that dependency etc

Nam Taf posted:

Pkg is going to blow your mind

pkg is great but building from ports instead of using precompiled binaries can be advantageous in some scenarios

i don't need every single module that nginx ships with for example (support for webdav, mp4/flv etc) so it's nice to be able to just build in what i need as opposed to literally everything

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 31, 2015

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I love the fact that when a fellow computer/networking geek/engineer asks what my home router box is running I get something of a deer in head lights look when I reply, "BSD".

"Oh its not a Linux box?"

"Nope."

"Oh..."

<smug sense of superiority>

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I love things like pf that aren't on other platforms. I hated reading a changelog to find out why a bunch of ports were broken again.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Theo de Raadt.

Not so much other things.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I set up a kFreeBSD box at home just so I can use pf.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Novo posted:

I set up a kFreeBSD box at home just so I can use pf.

Just use OpenBSD as our lord Theo intended for best pf experience.

That's what I use on my internet gateway at home for more than 10 years. Hasn't let me down yet (though im scared of upgrading to 5.7 now because of the named thingy as I don't know how to use yet nsd and unbound).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A decent set of documentation that covers everything.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I use OS X, op. It's good because it's the world's most advanced desktop operating system and also a BSD I'm told.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

I use OS X, op. It's good because it's the world's most advanced desktop operating system and also a BSD I'm told.

xnu is a child of the mach and 4.3bsd kernels, yes

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I love that it has every relevant feature from Illumos because those fuckin nerds weird me out

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This cute little guy

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I like that BSD saves me 2 of my 140 valuable characters in a tweet compared to Linux, but dislike that specifically qualifying FreeBSD, OpenBSD or NetBSD takes even more

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The moral of the story is, don't use Hungarian notation in the name of your operating system.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

I love that it has every relevant feature from Illumos because those fuckin nerds weird me out

Except for FMD, if you're using ZFS with hotspares they won't be automatically used in the event of a fault. Which is kinda poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MrMoo posted:

Theo de Raadt.

Not so much other things.

Theo is my loving idol.

Also I like pf. And using an actual unix platform and not some kinda weird GNU unix-like flipperbaby. I still use the flipperbaby for some of my development projects though, because GCC just seems to run better on a GNU/Linux platform and I can't loving figure out how to build a proper working clang cross-compiler.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
why is he your idol tell me more

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Most of his epithets are amusing to some degree, here's one about FreeBSD.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

MrMoo posted:

Most of his epithets are amusing to some degree, here's one about FreeBSD.
I mean, he's not wrong, just an rear end in a top hat about it. Also insinuating that because some FreeBSD devs work "close" to NSA somehow makes them associated is of course spreading FUD at best, defaming at worst.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
I've only recently started playing around with a FreeBSD VM, but last night I found this crazy guys blog when I was looking at some Playstation 4 reverse engineering stuff: https://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/bsd-encourages-slavery-sonys-orbis-os/

That and the rest of the site is pretty :stare: he seems quite angry at BSD

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Duo posted:

I've only recently started playing around with a FreeBSD VM, but last night I found this crazy guys blog when I was looking at some Playstation 4 reverse engineering stuff: https://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/bsd-encourages-slavery-sonys-orbis-os/

That and the rest of the site is pretty :stare: he seems quite angry at BSD

Oh, THAT guy. Pretty sure those three ~respectable~ people and him are one person, but hey, if you want to be insane, confining yourself to fringe forums and stupid blogposts is much better than flipping out and shooting people.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

piss angel posted:

it's so easy though

code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/$group/$port
make install clean
:confused:

You conveniently leave out the interstitial steps:
code:
wait multiple hours if you're compiling something big, or something with big dependencies
get a confusing error message 2 hours in, that breaks the install
It's also an absolute nightmare if you're a new user and haven't learned that using a port for anything means that you can't use binary pkgs, and vice versa - unless you want to risk version dependency errors.

Pkg on FreeBSD suffers from the binary packages only being re-compiled once every 2 weeks or so, which means it's always out of date with the ports tree. It's not clear why they can't just re-compile every time a port is updated.

Debian has it's flaws, but being able to install a whole list of software in a few seconds with one command was a revelation 10 years ago, and pkg on FreeBSD still isn't close.
apt-get has only broken a couple of times in a decade for me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

piss angel posted:

pkg is great but building from ports instead of using precompiled binaries can be advantageous in some scenarios

i don't need every single module that nginx ships with for example (support for webdav, mp4/flv etc) so it's nice to be able to just build in what i need as opposed to literally everything
A good binary distro offers multiple versions of packages people might commonly want to choose different options. To stick with your example of nginx, Ubuntu (and presumably Debian) offers five different versions of the package with varying sets of features compiled in and/or bundled as loadable modules. I usually use "nginx-light" which pretty much just gives me basic web server functionality plus FastCGI and Rewrite.

To me a good operating system should support building everything from source for the rare situations that you actually have a good reason to, but should not be designed to expect or even encourage that you actually do it for more than a few packages. Most users should never have to think about compiling anything.

wooger posted:

Debian has it's flaws, but being able to install a whole list of software in a few seconds with one command was a revelation 10 years ago, and pkg on FreeBSD still isn't close.
Also "aptitude" is wonderful and I get angry at even other binary-based distros (like CentOS/RHEL) that don't have anything similar. For a dev box or personal bullshit machine where you might need to install a package without necessarily knowing exactly what you want it's a godsend.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

You conveniently leave out the interstitial steps:
code:
wait multiple hours if you're compiling something big, or something with big dependencies
get a confusing error message 2 hours in, that breaks the install
It's also an absolute nightmare if you're a new user and haven't learned that using a port for anything means that you can't use binary pkgs, and vice versa - unless you want to risk version dependency errors.

Pkg on FreeBSD suffers from the binary packages only being re-compiled once every 2 weeks or so, which means it's always out of date with the ports tree. It's not clear why they can't just re-compile every time a port is updated.

since i don't use freebsd on desktops or anything, i've never had to compile anything overly large like Xorg or firefox/chrome which suits me just fine

as a server OS for basically anything, freebsd is absolutely rock solid; yes, it has a learning curve, but once you master it, it's an extremely powerful OS

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yo u got ludes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

dlr posted:

FreeBSD's ZFS support is second only to Solaris, IIRC. Linux lags behind a bit, it seems.

Matthew Ahrens has stated that ZFS on FreeBSD is on par with Illumos/Solaris. OSX and Linux are far behind in stability and performance (not to mention loving weird bugs)

Bob Morales posted:

This cute little guy

This is my little guy :3:

wooger posted:

This problem should hopefully be gone sometime this year. You should be able to install ports and packages and pkg will know when you've done this. When you "pkg upgrade" it will update all binary packages and automatically build any ports for you.

wooger posted:

This is not true for quite a while. It's roughly every 48 hours, and should be faster if use the Quarterly branch (default on 10.0+). You can see the builds here:

http://beefy1.nyi.freebsd.org
http://beefy2.nyi.freebsd.org
http://beefy3.nyi.freebsd.org
http://beefy4.nyi.freebsd.org
http://beefy5.nyi.freebsd.org
http://beefy6.nyi.freebsd.org
http://beefy7.nyi.freebsd.org
http://beefy8.nyi.freebsd.org

feld fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 20, 2016

• Locked thread