Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
every game; every time:

human.

male.

fighter. :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
if the game is good you make one of each

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i always play a wizard, when the 4th edition D&D came out i was rounded up and put into the camps :(

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

:hitler::respek::hitler:

naem
May 29, 2011

I always play first a sneaky good guy who shoots things, and then play through again as an evil murder Mage, always, I believe this is due to my elf heritage

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts posted:

I'm pretty sick of the traditional classes. I wish a few new badass paradigms would be invented.

The first and last time this ever happened was the Necromancer in D2.

There's some guys making a sequel to Titan Quest now -- you could do a lot of weird combos in that game because you picked two skill trees out of eight and so there were like 32 classes or something, except the only three combos that synergized were Defense with Fighter, Rogue with Hunter, and Spirit with Storm, except they patched out the spirit/storm combo, so the best two guys were the sword and board warrior and the spear using glass cannon. But there were a lot of weird things that were almost viable.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ChairmanMeow posted:

if the game is good you make one of each

If the game is really good, this is basically impossible because there are too many combinations that are all well-developed and fun (City of Heroes was amazing in this sense).

e: Champions is also pretty amazing in a superficially similar but very different way, most of the power sets can be built for a wide variety of roles (e.g. you can make a guy that heals friendlies by punching/stunning enemies with martial arts attacks)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 10, 2015

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
This thread sucks and so does everyone in it who didn't say rogue

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Gobblecoque posted:

every game; every time:

human.

male.

check your cis sword priviledge

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

check your cis sword priviledge

Gobblecoque posted:

every game; every time:

human.

male.

I usually do the same unless it lets me choose skin tone.

Then I play as a black male for the lock picking/pickpocket bonus.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
in shadow we find the light
safely sealed in darkest night
so make sure y'all keep it tight
wizards only, fools

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots
i always play the healer because i enjoy unfulfilling non-combat roles and being poo poo on by my friends

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Rogue/Thief

The problem with this class is that in some games medium armor is hard to find, every time I get a good rare or unique drop it's usually heavy or light armor.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it's a neutral good thing to do, op

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
if youre not playing a multiclass fighter/mage i dunno what the gently caress to even say to you.

e: bitch

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I only play as females because I don't wanna look at a dude's butt for hours

I also do this.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i always set my charisma and endurance/constitution and intelligence stats to near 0 and make the character as gaunt and frail as possibl eto mmick what i am like in real life

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

thewireguy posted:

I also do this.

:ssh: it means your gay

its ok you have a lot of company :gay:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
ill only play a game if i can be a dwarf in it

outside of that I will play whatever class the game decides dwarf can be, but i prefer to be a smart dwarf or a stabby dwarf and not the typical burly strong dwarf

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Gobblecoque posted:

every game; every time:

human.

male.

racist

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Nickelback Concert posted:

I usually do the same unless it lets me choose skin tone.

Then I play as a black male for the lock picking/pickpocket bonus.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

JakeP posted:

ill only play a game if i can be a dwarf in it

outside of that I will play whatever class the game decides dwarf can be, but i prefer to be a smart dwarf or a stabby dwarf and not the typical burly strong dwarf

What if I told you there's a game with an entire ... FORTRESS ... of dwarves.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
n'wah, please

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

the coolest class in any rpg of any flavor anywhere is still d2 necro tho

so true, why hasn't any other game ever come close to emulating the necromancing bliss of D2?

jgriffis0113
Jul 9, 2015

by Ralp
I try to play similar classes in every mmo I play that's fantasy based. Blizzard games turned me against ranged weapon classes but I am finding a new love for it in ESO. Otherwise I tend to play either warlocks or paladins by default.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
if its a TES game, stealth dude w/ illusion magic. nothing else comes even close

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

in shadow we find the light
safely sealed in darkest night
so make sure y'all keep it tight
wizards only, fools

e: I made an exception for the first Dragon Age game because a human warrior or human rogue can become the king or queen of the kingdom if they boost their smart stat high enough.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 10, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

In TES:III I would abuse potions to abuse enchanting to give myself ridiculous amounts of high jump and play Spider-man class.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
what racial bonus does TES give to redguards that prevents them from being called racist

obviously it can't be strength or dexterity. i'm guessing intelligence or charisma boost is the only thing people wouldn't rage about.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Saurus posted:

what racial bonus does TES give to redguards that prevents them from being called racist

obviously it can't be strength or dexterity. i'm guessing intelligence or charisma boost is the only thing people wouldn't rage about.

+strength, endurance
-intellect, willpower, personality

not kidding

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
lol

yeah, there are articles calling that poo poo racist. not as many as i'd expect.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Saurus posted:

TES:O is stamina bonus I think

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

What if I told you there's a game with an entire ... FORTRESS ... of dwarves.

i can't handle all the dwarfs dying

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JakeP posted:

i can't handle all the dwarfs dying

then get good, scrub

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Saurus posted:

They get Good At Athletics. I'm not even kidding, it's not called that but that's what it is.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Redguard_%28Skyrim%29

quote:

Character creation
Skill bonuses

+10 One-Handed (25)
+5 Alteration (20)
+5 Archery (20)
+5 Block (20)
+5 Destruction (20)
+5 Smithing (20)

Starting spells

Flames (Destruction)
Healing (Restoration)

Special abilities

Adrenaline Rush: Stamina regenerates 10x faster for 60 seconds.
Resist Poison: Your Redguard blood gives you 50% resistance to poison.

e: in oblivion it was literally +10 athletics skill

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 10, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Eldarion posted:

All mage all the time, and anyone who disagrees is a cultureless swine.

mage is pretty much archer with some fire and maybe a magic shield

mages suck in games Two World 2 did it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whWjC_lB5n0

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
redguards own though

The Redguard (née Yokudan) culture is martial by nature. Every man, woman and child is schooled in the art of war and combat from a very young age. This would explain why they have never truly been defeated by any invading force since their arrival in Tamriel. From Tiber Septim to the Aldmeri Dominion, none have been able to completely assimilate the Redguards, much less defeat them outright.

whitey can't beat them even when they've conquered most of the world

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Pet classes are best because they let me be lazy. Which is why Guildwars 1 is my favorite game ever. Not only can you have a full party of 7 customizable NPCs which are esecially pets, you can also summon more traditional pets-- plus some less traditional ones in the form of turrets. And on top of that, you can build your NPCs so they can summon pets. You can have so many pets that the SPCA gets called on you for hoarding them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

so true, why hasn't any other game ever come close to emulating the necromancing bliss of D2?

D2 is a lesson about how games are pointless and the necro lets you not play the game while you play the game. In the post D2 world makes of videogames have forgotten that games are pointless and therefore they always ruin the class that lets you not play the game by requiring you to send your minions all over hell manually or heal them all the time or whatever and that means clicking and clicking sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I always play the assassin dude and then 20 hours in i get bored and quit. I don't think I've ever finished an rpg in my life.

• Locked thread