Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes you like to read poo poo posts and some times you like to read good escapist fictions but you don't want to deal with the :spergin: book barn fucks so let's talk about good authors itt

Robert Ludlum is good and cool
James Clavell is too unless you're a weird anime freak in which case you should gently caress off
John Sanford has some good books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taye Diggs
Aug 12, 2013

Holla at yo boy

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
the holy bible

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i only read manga

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The serge storms books by Tim Dorsey are also cool and good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i just read a fantasy book about a red haired guitar shredding wizard and it was sooooo bad

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
but they are south Florida hosed up things kinda like Elmore Leonard but morefucked also Elmore Leonard books are good

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Read Patrick O'Brian. Good poo poo. No elfes or animus.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Pearl Buck's The Good Earth
Hunter Thompson's Generation of Swine
J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
ROmeo Dallaire's Shake Hands With The Devil

ScaMort
Oct 20, 2004
You can keep on sucking till the blood won't flow.
The Blade Itself trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is a great examination of several fantasy tropes. Basically taking your expectations and slowly torturing them to death.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
A Separate Peace.

It is such an awesome book that once you read it in school, you'll never want to read again.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Rememberwhen the Da Vinci Code was like everybody's poo poo and all anybody would talk about for three or four years

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories

A perfect day for bananafish is fuckin creepy but a good story.

Here's a couple of dog books I liked:

Fluke by James Herbert
Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov (it's got politics in it too)

e: here's a thing I did to my wife. She was doing field work for the forest service and was in wilderness camp for 5 days at a time and wanted a good book to read. I gave her "All Quiet on the Western Front". She came back for the weekend and said it was horrible and depressing because everyone died. So I gave her "Lord of the Flies" for the next week.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 10, 2015

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED GEORGE RR MARTIN'S A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I really love salinger and it makes me feel really sad that catcher in the rye is the book of his people seem to read most.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

ScaMort posted:

The Blade Itself trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is a great examination of several fantasy tropes. Basically taking your expectations and slowly torturing them to death.

Everybody gets what they want, everybody gets what they deserve.

Donna Tartt is good & on book 2 of the Southern Reach Trilogy, which is incredibly creepy, disturbing & compelling.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
if you want a good Vietnam war book that is real hosed up read sympathy for the devil by Kent Anderson

also night dogs by him is good and I think there is a police novel plus a second Vietnam book by him and they are all good

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
the motherfucking Baghavad Gita

e: bhagavad gita

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 10, 2015

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
I can read, we can read, I can read too were pretty good novels

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rememberwhen the Da Vinci Code was like everybody's poo poo and all anybody would talk about for three or four years

yes

and i also remember when people said that it was a really intelligent book

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Fonzarelli posted:

i just read a fantasy book about a red haired guitar shredding wizard and it was sooooo bad

this but i liked the bad book

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Me Talk Pretty One Day had some parts that were real funny. The story about santa claus was my fav

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I don't generally like fantasy but the malazan thing is good and it's only like $70 for 10 books that are all a thousand pages plus each The first book is hard to get through but it ends up being a good read

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Me Talk Pretty One Day had some parts that were real funny. The story about santa claus was my fav

NPR agrees, because it is the only thing they do every year that is worth listening to

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Flo Cytometer posted:

NPR agrees, because it is the only thing they do every year that is worth listening to

IDK if that's true but I see where you're coming from

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HARRY POTTER

lol ur a wizard 'arry!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

huskarl_marx posted:

this but i liked the bad book

i still kinda liked it because i have red hair :O

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Guns, Germs, and Steel (obviously)
A People's History of the United States

Anything that won a pulitzer

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

IDK if that's true but I see where you're coming from

Only if he doesn't read it though because his annoying lisp with the french inflections only make me want to punch him more while loving his sister

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the happbiess trap, the alcemist the little prince. Man search for meaning, the secret the four agreements, the fifth agreement., how to win friends and influence people, the power of now, real magic. way of the peaceful warrior, the seven spritial laws of success, the secret, stillness speajs

edit: oprah bigraphy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
christ read some real books :smug:

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
but i have a fake book reader

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Guns, Germs, and Steel (obviously)

that's a good one

and when you have read it you should tell about it to the d&d goons and they'll poo poo their pants in anger

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

thathonkey posted:

christ read some real books :smug:

plz post the real books

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Flo Cytometer posted:

Only if he doesn't read it though because his annoying lisp with the french inflections only make me want to punch him more while loving his sister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv4Rncfr-OE

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
that is the pint of this thread

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

David needs this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQXANlg_9E

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
but if you :spergin: or you post anime you can suck deez nuts

so plz post good books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I fuckin love anthologies and collections of short stories. they're the literary equivalent of m&ms and you can consume them by the handfuls.

• Locked thread