Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Skunk Works by Ben Rich
Five Years to Freedom by James Rowe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

dee eight posted:

I fuckin love anthologies and collections of short stories. they're the literary equivalent of m&ms and you can consume them by the handfuls.

:agreed:

Stephen king short story books are good. Four past midnight, night crew and there's one more I forget the name of all own

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
oh also the Bachman books are good

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Good god fearing conservative Americans don't read books. What you are a commie or a jew?

second joke answer: anything by ayn rand

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
i print out tweets to read while taking a poo poo

then i use them to wipe

makes u thnk

NecroMonster posted:

Good god fearing conservative Americans don't read books. What you are a commie or a jew?

second joke answer: anything by ayn rand

I hosed your mom. I'll gently caress her again. She's just as simple as you. :)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
two pages in and no mention of a confederacy of dunces?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'd recommend a little author named R.L. Stine, although they're pretty scary books so I'd recommend reading them in the morning

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

don't read any fantasy or science fiction books they are for people with weak minds

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
Star Wars novelizations (no unauthorized extended universe please) and Magic: The Gathering novels (based on the collectible card game) are also entertaining.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the dictionary

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Lord of the flies is a good book to read.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

playboy

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
Read all of Vonnegut's books, i am reading Margaret Atwood right now and she has some good books too

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jimson posted:

Lord of the flies is a good book to read.

yes

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Suttree

Forbidden Colors

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I just finished Spike Milligan's war memoir series they are really funny and made a good counterpoint to the rather depressing books I've been reading lately

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
The short stories of Jorge Luis Borges are good.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Malcolm X's autobiography
Keep the Aspidistras Flying by George Orwell.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Juggs

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Sylvia Plath

James Herriot

anything by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
If you're up for a long read, Vikram Seth's "A Suitable Boy" is quite good and gives a really good view into post Gandhi India

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Watership Down

because stories about rabbits are surprisingly awesome.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dee eight posted:

I fuckin love anthologies and collections of short stories. they're the literary equivalent of m&ms and you can consume them by the handfuls.

This is the best one ever written (not a weeaboo):
http://www.amazon.com/Palm---Hand-Stories-FSG-Classics/dp/0374530491/
(The Man Who Didn't Smile, which is a story in here, is so good that I don't think a better short story will possibly ever be written)

This is the best one written in the last 25 or so years:
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Son-Stories-Denis-Johnson/dp/031242874X/

This is the most influential one as far as literature goes:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Short-Stories-Ernest-Hemingway/dp/0684843323/

This is one that people forget about and then remember and go "geez that was really good", also has a sick rear end title:
http://www.amazon.com/Will-Please-Quiet-Vintage-Contemporaries-ebook/dp/B00XST7M42/

This is one that you should read after you get home from a trip or before you're going to go on a trip from a still living author:
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-William-T-Vollmann/dp/0140254498/

This is a link to World of Gor - Whipcrack for all the goofs who will come in here pretending they have an actual good scifi/fantasy book to recommend other than Neuromancer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lXXiLbTxM

raton fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 10, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I read War & Peace cover to cover and imo I never have to read another book again. There would be no point.

naem
May 29, 2011

My dad had like, the entire contents of a borders and a Barnes and noble in our house at any one time. We had a long hallway in the house that was all bookshelves it was kind of spooky. Could never keep all the bad sci fi fantasy plots separate in my head and I'd forget which one was robot pirates and which was the plucky elf murder squad and which was a magic wizard loner who lives on the edge and plays by his own rules

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Read all of Vonnegut's books, i am reading Margaret Atwood right now and she has some good books too

i read oryx and crake cause a pretty girl at school read it and it was a good book. we talked about the book but never smooched

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat by J. Sakai

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Tim Powers writes about ancient egyptian wizards time-traveling into victorian London and battling with hobo-wizard-clowns and also did you know that the 'Mother Russia' the soviets were always on about was actually an ancient djinn that was later installed into the Berlin Wall? Also fat people are always the bad guys.

Tim Powers owns.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
i can't read op, thanks for rubbing it in

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
the sugar frosted nutsack

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/Pounded-In-The-Butt-Own-ebook/dp/B00UYC1ASU

http://www.amazon.com/Pounded-The-Butt-Book-Own-ebook/dp/B00VDRUI5Q/ref=pd_sim_351_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=10F3764F1TZ68QTK6FXK

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos

Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

William Manchester's A World Lit Only by Fire

Bill Peet's Wump World

Rock the boat
Jul 6, 2014
In The heart of The sea. N. Philbrick. Awesome, even for my novice English

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rock the boat posted:

In The heart of The sea. N. Philbrick. Awesome, even for my novice English

The Sun Also Rises is a great book with accessible language.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Any of Jack Weatherford's histories, particularly Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, Indian Givers: How Native Americans Transformed the World, Savages and Civilization: Who Will Survive? or The History of Money

A.Lee Martinez's novels, particularly Gil's All Fright Diner, Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest, or Divine Misfortune

Rock the boat
Jul 6, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

The Sun Also Rises is a great book with accessible language.

Ill check it out thanks

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Necrosope was a fun read. Same with later series.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWG2Y-iSdmo

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The Corrections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

jackyl posted:

plz post the real books

i dunno here are some pretty good books imo -

thomas pynchon - crying of lot 49
don delillo -white noise
chinua achebe - things fall apart
kurt vonnegut - cat's cradle, player piano
david foster wallace - broom of the system, consider the lobster (short stories, nonfiction)
cormac mccarthy - the road
john kennedy toole - a conferderacy of dunces
william faulkner - as i lay dying
flannery oconnor - get some of her short stories

The Dennis System posted:

The Corrections.

this is good too

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 10, 2015

• Locked thread