Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

for reals though, that's not a good book

the communist manifesto by karl marx is way better written

mussolini's opinion about mein kampf: "a boring tome that I have never been able to read"

and hitler's opinion: "If I had had any idea in 1924 that I would have become Reich chancellor, I never would have written the book."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

I read the first page of that book, and it gave me this personal insider joke that when ever anybody mentions Hitler, I like to say "He was great man trying to bring people together." (by invading Poland.)

krustysean
Dec 25, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

don't read any fantasy or science fiction books they are for people with weak minds

Ian M Banks - 'Consider Phlebas' & 'Player of games' were good books to hook you. Or try 'Ilium' by Dan Simmons

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

bollig posted:

BTW if anyone knows any non fiction or fiction books that deal with a complete collapse of society (fiction would have to have a foot in reality NOT THE STAND) then I would be much appreciated.

Galapagos by Vonnegut
Oryx and Crake/The Great Flood by Atwood

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

krustysean posted:

Ian M Banks - 'Consider Phlebas' & 'Player of games' were good books to hook you. Or try 'Ilium' by Dan Simmons

The two weakest culture books IMHO, Use of Weapons is really good though

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I'm reading the Wheel of Time right now and enjoying it. I think I'll read the Expanse series next. Does it own?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

You're a way better mod/person than Ralp

ROFLburger posted:

I'm reading the Wheel of Time right now and enjoying it. I think I'll read the Expanse series next. Does it own?

Nigga if you think Wheel of Time own lemme just suggest some poo poo books that I hate

-Poisonwood Bible
-The Alchemist
-Ladies Farting vol II

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ROFLburger posted:

lol, read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell instead

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

Nope it is fully off the rails and because they turned it from a trilogy to a unknown number of books the pacing really suffers. The Culture books are better space books and are all stand alone so they don't have the weird pacing issues that big series have.

Don't read massive anthologies like wheel of time there is absolutely no way a writer can keep you interested in 15 books.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Use of Weapons is really good though

Everyone says this and I just don't see it. Use of Weapons was my least favorite Culture book, by far. It's more like a collection of short stories than a novel. It had no characters that I cared about and just felt cold and distant.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The bible op.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

Everyone says this and I just don't see it. Use of Weapons was my least favorite Culture book, by far. It's more like a collection of short stories than a novel. It had no characters that I cared about and just felt cold and distant.

I don't get the comparison to a short story collection, are you sure you aren't thinking of Matter?

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Word

Galapagos by Vonnegut

Word UP

Oryx and Crake/The Great Flood by Atwood

I just read the Handmaid's Tale, and I wasn't such a fan, but I've heard good things about Oryx and Crake. On the list.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

jackyl posted:

seems like I see some good literature books being posts itt but really I was looking for escapist fiction

for example Dennis Lehane has some good books

I just finished reading The Kouga Ninja Scrolls by Futaro Yamada. It's basically 300 pages of ninjas. The word ninja becomes meaningless.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Twitch posted:

I just finished reading The Kouga Ninja Scrolls by Futaro Yamada. It's basically 300 pages of ninjas. The word ninja becomes meaningless.

That is an extremely meaningful word to myself and my people forums poster Twitch, I don't think this is a good book.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
some really good books to read are all the donald duck and uncle scrooge comics by carl barks

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

-The Alchemist

This book was a steaming pile

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Don't read massive anthologies like wheel of time there is absolutely no way a writer can keep you interested in 15 books.

I'm on book 9 and there have been some slow or unnecessary parts that have made me want to tear my balls off. But as a whole, I'm enjoying it and do not regret starting it. Also the scope and scale of the story is pretty cool.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Hogge Wild posted:

I've read that twice and am looking forward to a sequel.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

gnarlyhotep posted:

I've read that twice and am looking forward to a sequel.

i really wish there will be one, but i'm not having my hopes up

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Hogge Wild posted:

i really wish there will be one, but i'm not having my hopes up

She left it wide open for more, maybe she's just taking her time writing lots of footnotes.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Non-fiction books I liked:

World War II by James Jones (it's a spiff big rear end book full of art produced during the war, lots of sketches by combat troops) You probaby know him better for From Here to Eternety and The Thin Red Line

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Grossman

The Natural Mind: An Investigation of Drugs and the Higher Consciousness by Andrew Weil

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
I'm reading Don Quijote De La Mancha right now and its really really good. People often consider it the first modern novel and Cervantes does some really unique and original things in the story that still haven't been matched by other writers IMO. Probably one of the first examples of "metafiction" or humor.

Read the original spanish text if you can because a lot of the English translations aren't so great. I am reading a translation by Burton Raffel alongside the spanish text. Raffel's english style flows pretty well, but when I go back and compare it to the spanish version he really tries to add a lot to the text that simply isn't there and often times does it a disservice. However, he does have a lot of footnotes that explain the metahumor and points out all the references to Spain's chivalric classics.

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 12, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Basically these days I only read contemporary fiction about headstrong Indian women, which is a much broader genre than you might think. Sarita Mandanna's Tiger Hills was maybe the best modern debut novel I've ever read but it looks like her upcoming second book won't have an Indian woman in it at all??? hosed up imo but I'll read it anyway and it will probably be good.

Waroduce posted:

Twilight War (Iran not vampires)

Was this good? I've owned it for a little while but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

ROFLburger posted:

The first one owns mega-hard, the next two are pretty good but not as great (I kinda feel like they retread a lot of the same territory as the first, the second one is especially guilty of this), I own the fourth one but I'm nervous about starting it because The Expanse was supposed to be a trilogy and I thought the ending of the third book was a perfectly good send-off to the series and I'm worried it will be a Terminator 3 sort of situation.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
when I'm done reading these I'm going to draw flip cartoons in the corners of the pages

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Hogge Wild posted:

Looked this up and it sounds very interesting. Way to go GBS! :dogbutton:

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
The Expanse
the entire series of books is pretty good, and all of it pretty cleverly written.

Not joking fyi

Edit: read it in english if possible

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Just checking in to say that 'Demon in the Freezer' is p great, if you're into viruses and the people that are trying to stop them/die from them.

Next up is 'The Twenty One Balloons' by William Pene du Bois which I read when I was a kid and absolutely loved. And now I'm reading it again, because it was on top of the pile.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

I'm reading Don Quijote De La Mancha right now and its really really good.

:agreed:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Myron Baloney posted:

when I'm done reading these I'm going to draw flip cartoons in the corners of the pages

My stickman guy had an amazing car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy is some good sci fi. Same for his Commonwealth Saga.

• Locked thread