Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pox
Feb 16, 2015
Weird experience. A friend of mine had free tickets and offered me one for the Sunday show. I went, and ate some psychedelics.

Its cool seeing a crowd that into something, but honestly... the Dead are kind of lame. I left during one of the encores.

Kind of wish my friend had given the ticket to one of the insane people in the Field Museum parking lot who would have had a religious experience listening to a guy roll his hand up and down a piano or play long rear end guitar solos, or just sold it for a thousand bucks. Anyone else go to one of these shows? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
Kill yourself and join the party, OP.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

Flo Cytometer posted:

Kill yourself and join the party, OP.

I feel like I did join the party. I took some drugs that were offered, and the people around me were pretty cool and friendly.

Jam music is just really mediocre though. IDGI.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
I guess its like EDM

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Pox posted:

I guess its like EDM

thats ok if you are under 50. Its still poo poo but at least your posse won't die getting to the bleachers

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Flo Cytometer posted:

thats ok if you are under 50. Its still poo poo but at least your posse won't die getting to the bleachers

a goon takes a tentatively non-negative stance about what is actually his favorite type of music, but will it be enough to make other goons think he doesnt really care?

no

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Flo Cytometer posted:

Opinion opposite to this: only people who should go to a Grateful Dead show are really old dudes.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

burritolingus posted:

Opinion opposite to this: only people who should go to a Grateful Dead show are really old dudes.

There was a shitload of people under 30 there who were super into it. Also there were a bunch of crust punks at the tailgate area trying to get in. Crust punks like the Dead, I guess.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Pox posted:

There was a shitload of people under 30 there who were super into it. Also there were a bunch of crust punks at the tailgate area trying to get in. Crust punks like the Dead, I guess.

Huh. Well, that's good then.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Yah the popularity they've enjoyed boggles themind really. Probably one of the least deserving bands to have such a following.

I guess they toured alot and were cool with bootlegging their concerts, but the music is "meh"

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
The encore I left during they played Not Fade Away by Buddy Holly. I was walking out and like... oh yea drat this song is cool. Then I remembered that was because it was a good three minute chord progression rock song, but when they covered it the guy from Phish noodled his guitar for half an hour.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I was raised by a care bear dead head sex cult in the woods and born with fetal alcohol syndrome

I can't stop listening to the GD

Driving that train

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I saw the Dead enough times when they were still playing. I feel no need to revisit the experience.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
I went to Santa Clara night two and it was one of the best things I've ever seen in my life. I get that some people don't like the music but for me it's how the songs fit into various time periods in my life.

Plus I got acid for free in the line to piss and brought some coke and weed.

Went to Denny's after in San Jose and the manager was serving all of the normal people before the deadheads. Deadheads are really loving sincere people though.

I went to the live stream at the movie theater and people were smoking weed in the theater for the last encore.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Pox posted:

Crust punks like the free drugs and food, I guess.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
The free drugs mostly amounted to people letting you hit their joints. To their credit, everyone outside was giving out free beers and Chicago cops were letting everyone drink. Inside, beer was 11 bucks, and people were actually buying them.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i heard it was nuts and like 100k ppl couldn't even get in

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
The mushrooms I took wore off at the part where the two drummers play some electronic version of what African people might have listened to in the 80s. That part of the show went on for literally 45 minutes. I guess everyone acknowledges those guys suck because all of the bathroom lines were like a mile out onto the concourse.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

Poetic Justice posted:

i heard it was nuts and like 100k ppl couldn't even get in

It's true, and it made me feel bad even though I had a good time with my friend, who is really into them

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
has someone made the I would be grateful if you were dead joke yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

bands should only be allowed to play live for 15 years max. They should also be banned from playing live once the most famous line up splinters or the lead singer dies. Nothing is more embarrassing than geriatrics singing a 10% live feed over a record to a crowd of overweight 40 to 50 years olds

• Locked thread