Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
For the old War Promos, you're kinda SOL. Claus & Wyndham, Danny, and Robert are gone. You can still pick up the Ernie the Geek promo here, however. And the fifth War promo, Takeshi Kamikaze, is getting a relaunch with the War Promos

I don't know anything about the status of the Devastation Promos (Bridj, VG Gal Iris, Legacy, Mark.PTO, Ramos), but if they're out of stock, they're probably gone as well.

The nine War Promos (plus the physical print of Anath Adrasteia) aren't out yet, but they'll be in supply soon. The general rule on current promos is, ask Brad at a con and see if he has any. He'll give them out.

---

That said, there is hope that some of the promos will come back around. One of the (unmet) stretch goals for War Remastered was a Claus & Wyndhal reprint. I'd bet that stretch goal might show up again if Trials of Indines goes on Kickstarter next year.

Likewise, L99 has latitude to reprint those promos based on properties owned by L99 or its employees. So they can reprint C&W, Takeshi, Bridj, and Eliza at will, and they can reprint Lucius and Mark.PTO with permission of Eunice Tiu and Fabio Fontes. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up as downloadable PNPs at some point.

Properties owned by other companies are a bit trickier, and are only permissible under license. This is why we will never see Danny the Sinner and Robert the Saint again--L99 no longer has a contract with Iron Clown Studios. (No big loss, since Danny and Robert were refined and reimplemented as Voco and Lesandra, respectively.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Hey all, rules question. If an attack trigger says, "Advance until adjacent to nearest opponent," what happens if that character is already adjacent to an opponent? Do they advance 1, then stop, or do they not advance at all?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ActingPower posted:

Hey all, rules question. If an attack trigger says, "Advance until adjacent to nearest opponent," what happens if that character is already adjacent to an opponent? Do they advance 1, then stop, or do they not advance at all?

Unofficial Errata and FAQ posted:

Q: On Regicide's "Psycho" style it says "Advance until you are adjacent to the opponent." If I start adjacent to my opponent when this is played, am I allowed to get one free advance over the opponent?
A: No. You advance the minimum number of spaces to become adjacent, so in this case you would Advance 0 to become adjacent.

Dunno if thats legit enough for you

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Yup, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks, Cerepol!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Speaking of promos. I could have sworn I had a copy of the secret "designer" promos that were given to like 10 people, but I cannot find them on my HDD. Was I dreaming that these somehow got onto BGG?

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Blah Blah more Worlds info:

http://www.level99games.com/catalog/tournament-documents/file/tournament-intro-season-2.html?id=14

Season 2 organized play document is out, including the draftable list.

Season 2 Fighter List posted:

Adjenna Callista
Byron Krane
Cadenza
Cesar Grist
Cherri Seneca
Clinhyde Eight
Demitras Denigrande
Eligor Larington
Gaspar Geddon
Hikaru Sorayama
Joal Kalmor
Kajia Septie Salix
Karin Brandtford
Kehrolyn Ross
Khadath Ahemusei
King Alexian XXXVII
Lesandra Machan
Lixis Ran Kanda
Malandrax Mecchi
Pendros Schalla
Regicide Heketch
Rukyuk Amberdeen
Saint Mikhail Isen
Shekhtur Lenmorre
Tanis Trilives
Tatsumi Nuoc
Vanaah Kalmor
Zaamassal Kett

Noteables: No Fate, no Arec, no Ottavia, no Sagas. A few surprises- Gaspar I definitely didn't expect, nor Cherri.

Match format is Draft 3, you and your opponent ban 1 of each other's set, and then you play a 2 out of 3 with the remaining fighters.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Mad Fnorder posted:

http://www.level99games.com/catalog/tournament-documents/file/tournament-intro-season-2.html?id=14

Noteables: No Fate, no Arec, no Ottavia, no Sagas. A few surprises- Gaspar I definitely didn't expect, nor Cherri.

Match format is Draft 3, you and your opponent ban 1 of each other's set, and then you play a 2 out of 3 with the remaining fighters.

Well, three out of my 4 best characters are on that list.

Thankfully, a few of my b-listers are also on that list, but no Aria. :smith:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

djfooboo posted:

Speaking of promos. I could have sworn I had a copy of the secret "designer" promos that were given to like 10 people, but I cannot find them on my HDD. Was I dreaming that these somehow got onto BGG?

This what you're thinking of? http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1270402/introducing-elusive-mysterious-kickstarter-5/page/1

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Mad Fnorder posted:

I'm surprised Mikhail is on the list. He seems to be mentioned in the same breath as Ottavia and Arec when people around here talk about powerful characters. On the other hand, Kaitlyn did get banned from tournaments for some reason. I'm not sure why Cherri would be a surprise either.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Dire Wombat posted:

I'm surprised Mikhail is on the list. He seems to be mentioned in the same breath as Ottavia and Arec when people around here talk about powerful characters. On the other hand, Kaitlyn did get banned from tournaments for some reason. I'm not sure why Cherri would be a surprise either.

I wouldn't put Mikhail up there. I also don't know why Sagas is on that list. Endrbyt is a tournament headache waiting to happen, though, so I understand that one.

I stand by my opinion on Kaitlyn. In any given matchup, she either wins, or she loses. There are no even matchups with her.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

OmegaGoo posted:

I stand by my opinion on Kaitlyn. In any given matchup, she either wins, or she loses. There are no even matchups with her.

That makes sense. Either her opponent has enough movement options to beat her keepaway game, or she doesn't, and Kaitlyn won't lose at long range. I guess the real question is how she could be balanced.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hahaha, Cadenza is on the list. :getin:

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Brb, Banning Cadenza every opponent.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

So what would everyone's three character team be?

Mine would be:

Malandrax
Tanis
Karin/Jager

I haven't played War or Fate enough to pick any of those characters yet.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I don't think I've played any character more than 3 times, but if I had to choose from among that list, I think I'd go with:

1) Tatsumi: My absolute fave, a hell of a lot of fun to play, and with enough moving parts that she can adapt to anything.
2) Rukyuk: I see the fighters as puzzles more than anything else, and I think Rukyuk is one of the most interesting puzzles to solve. He has a lot of weaknesses, but he also has a lot of brute force, and trying to find out how to squeeze out every last bit of that power every beat is frankly exciting.
3) Lixis: I don't really do "stand and fight", but in every game I've ever played, resource denial is one of my winningest strategies. Lixis is great at that. I'd really rather put Kajia in this slot, but Kajia is far too matchup dependent.

Sad that my other favourite character, Gerard, isn't on the list. Not really sure why, either, he seems pretty balanced.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Hmm. Are we talking "ideal list in a vacuum" or "pick order for draft?"

Lixis and Kajia are both on my ideal list. Last slot is a tossup, depending on environment and how I'm feeling on tournament day. Probably between Tanis or Mikhail. Though Shekhtur is probably the smart metagame pick, with Cadenza/Cesar/Alexian in the mix.

But in an actual draft environment, I'd probably prioritize Mikhail, even over the characters I prefer, because he's likely going to be a high pick on everyone's list. Whereas Kajia might wheel back around the table. And if she doesn't, Karin or Tanis are fine backups for my Tactician slot. But Mikhail is the only heavyweight I personally feel confident with in this list. Hrmm. Might also need to reevaluate Lixis in my pick order, since she got a huge boost with War Remastered.

Unfortunately, none of my real favorites ended up here. No Ottavia, no Iri. I love Tanis for one-off games, but I don't know if I want to run her for five or six matches in a row. The brain burn would probably cost me a crucial play somewhere.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 17, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, drafting, my first pick would probably be Alexian, if I could. He is one of the few characters who can semi-regularly out-powerhouse my #2 pick Cadenza. A classic hate-draft, basically. And then, because I'd be carrying two heavyweights already, I'd probably go with Hikaru for #3, just because I like his flexibility.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Clinhyde, Mikhail, and Alexian. Over the course of a long day of gaming, I want to be the one setting the pace, not reacting to my opponent's actions. You'd have to be insane to want to play someone like Eligor in a long tournament.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Trasson posted:

You'd have to be insane to want to play someone like Eligor

True words.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Wol posted:

True words.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe you just live for the one time you finally land a Counter.

Fun fact, I have only Aegis clashed once, and they followed up with a Dash, so I still have never gotten to Aegis soak-clash on anything that could actually use it.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?
I'd go with 1. Mikhail: He's the one I've played with the most
2. Tanis: She's funny and I've played her probably the 2nd most at this point
3. Cherri: She seems hilarious to me and probably the character to make an auto-ban choice more difficult (Mikhail cheats, Tanis is like a greased pig)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yes!

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I think Eligor is underrated, but playing him against a bunch of people who's tendencies you don't know is definitely nervewracking. Clinhyde's someone I'd be nervous to play in a high stakes environment, though. Same problem with Byron, though I'd probably scoop him in Draft if it came to it- low margin of error is something to avoid, I'm thinking.

The other twist of this Have 3, 1 Ban format is you can present people with nasty choices... but they can turn it around. There's some merit to drafting say, Mikhail/Cadenza, if you like heavyweights, in that it forces your opponent to play one of them. However, if they ban your third, you're stuck with them alone.

In a "Not Happening Ever" vacuum, I'd probably take Malandrax/Mikhail/Tanis. I feel Malandrax is going to be like Mikhail, high pick priority and will eat a lot of bans. Despite being bonkers, I think Tanis is pretty stable- she has all the tools, they're just somewhere, on different puppets.

My lack of War knowledge is probably going to ruin me. I know there's some super-strong characters there but playing someone for the first time ever in tournament, well, I'm sure everyone can remember the first time they played one of their favorite characters and the super great choices they made with stuff like their discards.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

So what would everyone's three character team be?

Mine would be:

Malandrax
Tanis
Karin/Jager

I haven't played War or Fate enough to pick any of those characters yet.

I was talking straight ideal (standard) format. It's a happy coincidence all three of those are on the draft list.

However, I think all three of those are high-tier picks for a draft format, so I'd hope I get ONE of them... in that order. My b-listers are Shekhtur (who will probably also be contested), Joal (who probably won't be), Pendros (he's clicked with me recently), and possibly Heketch.

Edit: On a semi-unrelated note, Full Moon Claw would be an unexpected and powerful 6 Power attack in the right situations. What can't Karin/Jager do?

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 17, 2015

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

The Rexan vs. Karin&Jager match just ended with a Rexan victory!

Anybody up for another go? We've still got Serafina Vanedra and Xenitia Zook from Fate to try out.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'll get in on a game, it's been a while.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't think I've ever fought Baron? Or have I?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Is that a confirmation? If so, send me your character choice! :)

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Baron, Poison? Your game is ready. Best of luck to the both of you!

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 19, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What are Runika weaknesses? She seems fairly strong.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

What are Runika weaknesses? She seems fairly strong.

Getting hit. Runika starts with a huge advantage, but once that advantage is gone, her styles and UB are really weak. She's one of the few characters who has a finisher that is basically "DUH".

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Tolly and I were talking and he brought up the possibility of Xenitia using her Finisher while above 7 life, but Drawing herself below 7 in that same beat. Someone who's going to GenCon should ask Brad if that's meant to happen, because if so, that's really drat strong.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, it won't come up in the game i'm running at this point but it might be applicable to the match actingpower is refereeing

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

As a total spitball, I'd say that Xenitia shouldn't be allowed to set a Finisher as her attack pair when her life is above 7 life before ante. We do have some precedence, though. What would Hepzibah or Clinhyde do? (Of course, I'm aware it's the regeneration that's problematic. Perhaps, if Xenitia uses Draw to get below 7, she doesn't get that back EoB? You're right. That is really messy.)

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
The Special Action card doesn't care about intent, though. If I meant to Finisher and Baenvier Antes, I lose that chance because my Special Action card got bounced.

How's this for a weirder scenario- if I try to Pulse vs. Cherri, and she antes her token, causing you to lose a point of life but with your Special Action already down, you can then switch to Finisher.

I imagine Hepzibah and Clinhyde get the same thing. Then again, Battlecon Documentation. Max Power Exansguinate once you're below 12 life is pretty scary, I agree, since you're pretty much guaranteed to get it off and not die in return, since I imagine a 9 Power attack was supposed to be counterbalanced by the potential to get KO'd before you do it.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Mad Fnorder posted:

The Special Action card doesn't care about intent, though.
The Special Action card doesn't, but errata does. If it wasn't intended, I could definitely see Brad putting out some official clarification as to when Finishers check for the 7 life threshold.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention but Welsie vs. Mikhail has ended!
Another loss for Welsie, but she acquitted herself very well against someone understood to be one of the strongest characters in the game. I maintain that with some level of character-specific mastery, Welsie will be quite strong. She has solid set-up ability and once she is set up, being able to trap someone in an Anomalous loop is pretty ridiculous.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I imagine with previous hints about wanting to move to Force Gauge as the standard we're not going to see a change, except maybe Xenetia-specific errata. There's a lot of easily accessible Ignore Stun Guard in Fate, so maybe she didn't feel overly strong, such that early access to her that this was an edge case to think about. It may have been intended.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mad Fnorder posted:

I imagine with previous hints about wanting to move to Force Gauge as the standard we're not going to see a change, except maybe Xenetia-specific errata. There's a lot of easily accessible Ignore Stun Guard in Fate, so maybe she didn't feel overly strong, such that early access to her that this was an edge case to think about. It may have been intended.

Screw Force Gauge.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

Screw Force Gauge.

Oh? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

No particular reason. I'm not familiar enough with it and I have opinions, man.