Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
So I asked my usual training buddy to play a couple of rounds as Arec to see if the character has any weaknesses or bad matchups. I lost all three games- played Tanis, Byron, and Malandrax.

Hilarious note: from starting positions, Ottavia has one option against Mirrored Shot, Ante Hesitation- and that's Cover Burst- and even then, that still trades. This character is so stupid. Any advice other than "draft him first in tournament play"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Blah Blah more Worlds info:

http://www.level99games.com/catalog/tournament-documents/file/tournament-intro-season-2.html?id=14

Season 2 organized play document is out, including the draftable list.

Season 2 Fighter List posted:

Adjenna Callista
Byron Krane
Cadenza
Cesar Grist
Cherri Seneca
Clinhyde Eight
Demitras Denigrande
Eligor Larington
Gaspar Geddon
Hikaru Sorayama
Joal Kalmor
Kajia Septie Salix
Karin Brandtford
Kehrolyn Ross
Khadath Ahemusei
King Alexian XXXVII
Lesandra Machan
Lixis Ran Kanda
Malandrax Mecchi
Pendros Schalla
Regicide Heketch
Rukyuk Amberdeen
Saint Mikhail Isen
Shekhtur Lenmorre
Tanis Trilives
Tatsumi Nuoc
Vanaah Kalmor
Zaamassal Kett

Noteables: No Fate, no Arec, no Ottavia, no Sagas. A few surprises- Gaspar I definitely didn't expect, nor Cherri.

Match format is Draft 3, you and your opponent ban 1 of each other's set, and then you play a 2 out of 3 with the remaining fighters.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Brb, Banning Cadenza every opponent.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I think Eligor is underrated, but playing him against a bunch of people who's tendencies you don't know is definitely nervewracking. Clinhyde's someone I'd be nervous to play in a high stakes environment, though. Same problem with Byron, though I'd probably scoop him in Draft if it came to it- low margin of error is something to avoid, I'm thinking.

The other twist of this Have 3, 1 Ban format is you can present people with nasty choices... but they can turn it around. There's some merit to drafting say, Mikhail/Cadenza, if you like heavyweights, in that it forces your opponent to play one of them. However, if they ban your third, you're stuck with them alone.

In a "Not Happening Ever" vacuum, I'd probably take Malandrax/Mikhail/Tanis. I feel Malandrax is going to be like Mikhail, high pick priority and will eat a lot of bans. Despite being bonkers, I think Tanis is pretty stable- she has all the tools, they're just somewhere, on different puppets.

My lack of War knowledge is probably going to ruin me. I know there's some super-strong characters there but playing someone for the first time ever in tournament, well, I'm sure everyone can remember the first time they played one of their favorite characters and the super great choices they made with stuff like their discards.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
The Special Action card doesn't care about intent, though. If I meant to Finisher and Baenvier Antes, I lose that chance because my Special Action card got bounced.

How's this for a weirder scenario- if I try to Pulse vs. Cherri, and she antes her token, causing you to lose a point of life but with your Special Action already down, you can then switch to Finisher.

I imagine Hepzibah and Clinhyde get the same thing. Then again, Battlecon Documentation. Max Power Exansguinate once you're below 12 life is pretty scary, I agree, since you're pretty much guaranteed to get it off and not die in return, since I imagine a 9 Power attack was supposed to be counterbalanced by the potential to get KO'd before you do it.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I imagine with previous hints about wanting to move to Force Gauge as the standard we're not going to see a change, except maybe Xenetia-specific errata. There's a lot of easily accessible Ignore Stun Guard in Fate, so maybe she didn't feel overly strong, such that early access to her that this was an edge case to think about. It may have been intended.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Now I want to brainstorm a series of different but equivalent modes that you can interchangably select at the start of a match with some semblance of balance- Like Capcom vs SNK-style Grooves.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

My big problem with Force Gauge is the inclusion of the Force Special Action card, which is inelegant as hell. You could have easily just made the Finisher an Ante effect, and make flipping the finisher an Overcharge option. But no, we have to have this extra wasted card. Which, may I remind you, can sub for a style in your opening discards, what the actual gently caress Brad.

Yeah, that's dumb as rocks. Gonna see a lot of Card+Dash pairs all day. Plus Overcharge Priority can be met by Overcharge Priority right back.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I think like, " Ante Overcharge: spend Force equal to your life total, place your finisher in pay in place of your current attack pair. "

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Made top 4 as well but went out right before. Awesome to meet folks, sorry Final Boss could not boss all the way. Drafted Malandrax, Joal, and Lixis, had enormous success with two of them but a Joal mirror was the beginning of the end for me. More when I get home.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Pendros's UA is really really complicated until you figure out the timing of it. Shektur is fine. I've had luck with playing Alexian on the other side of teaching matches. Karin's not so bad. Runika is straightforward in her strategy but the math can be intimidating. Lesandra isn't bad, neither is Mikhail.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Youuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! :argh: I'm still salty about that ruling!

ONE DAY IT IS I WHO WILL REVENGE AT YOU!

Mad Fnorder fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 6, 2015

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Ugh, I threw the Malandrax match before that so hard. Definitely Tilt-o-clock.

No feeling is better than a good read in Battlecon. No feeling is worse than thinking of the good read and passing on it.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
"Why the Lock, though?"

"Ottavia's in there."

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
All I can hear is the Zoidberg ""Woop Woop Woop Woop" noise as the beat counter drags itself to 15.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
That was fast. *hurls money*.

If anyone bought a new costume I wanna hear about it.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
The real disadvantage is he death-spirals HARD, his evasion isn't that evasive, and even using his tokens successfully can result in him death spiraling worse on subsequent beats. The range thing is basically "Don't play Frigid Shot". You can't even play him like his UA is blank, like you could with some, because a few bad trades puts you at 0 tokens anyway. Also, if you take him just out of war characters, that set is covered in Ignore Soak anyway.

Cross is still really good, though.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I forget who came up with the phrase I read, but "Free Half Cancels" describe Cherri very well. Your opponent has to play options around the potential clashes, and always loses out from them, wheras Cherris' styles are basically "How do I want to mess with the other guy". There's also the "I'm not actually clashing" bait that can leave people horribly out of position.

I wonder if Cherri would be more interesting if it was "Gain +1 Power each time you clash this beat" vs "Lose 1 Life", making her actually have to confirm her shenanigans.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Help how do I box all this everything

I'm leaning toward the "plastic deckholder now, customize later" idea unless the cardboard tuckboxes are actually cheaper? What size should I use? AND WHY DOES THESSALA NOT FIT ANYTHING.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I think Baenvier's great. His numbers are fantastic (Destruction is a great style, so is Runic, and he's got a good splash of speed and range on the rest), his unique Base gives him a great closer option that always leaves him a burst callout, and Spellbreaker is a more fair form of Arec's stuff in that it's a mutual disadvantage that you know is going to trigger or not. Hilariously, he's in the lower-middle of Fate's power curve, about equal with Larimore(though I think his matchup with Thessala relies on him to execute, making him the Eligor rather than the Shektur of the starter matchup) but if you say, put him into the Tournament draft pool I'd take him as an all-rounder really fast.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Re:Jager

I remember someone saying that there's too much on his slow Styles and I agree. The threat of Meancing, either as a dash stopper, or as guaranteed damage (ignoring soak with stun immunity is a pretty good combination!), mixed with Soak 2, Stun Guard 2 on Blood Moon means he can brawl like crazy. Refined's pretty amazing as a disruption style, too, and Slicer's just a better Drive. His UA could be blank and he'd still be strong, and the fact that he can threaten things like Red Moon Rage for 8 or Mist Step Massacre when you try to range him (And then play Fanged Slicer because that gets you close anyway) means them "merely being okay" is still another really strong advantage.

I didn't feel like Bruce hit that hard, and Dragon's kind of unwieldy. Still, uh, if you're fighting him as Baenvier, don't use Curse. Just.... don't.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
In, depending on the scheduling.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I was bored at work and did a full analysis of the idea of Guard (The rumored Dash potential replacement) for all of Devastation. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in 7 pages of rambling, since I'm not sure I want to throw it up publicly just yet or if it counts as Playtest material.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Oh, okay then.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15WivGJEhXftUy5Zm4ubnGGLdImM5S_qTP5RK0KQLoxA/edit?usp=sharing

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I think the better buff pair is that Hydraulic Press catches up with the backstep and still hits for Guard's damage cap. Though it weakens Battery slightly by making it really elaborate to try and clash once Battery is up (Mechanical Shot, maybe? )

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Sure, I was going to do it but I need to reset my password and I keep forgetting to go through the motions.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Any format on character picks? Character lock? Pick 3 Ban 1 style each round? Are we going from the Worlds Draft Pool or free pick?

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Are we including the current Unlimited Restricted List (Arec, Ottavia, Kaitlyn, Endyrbyt) as playable, or no?

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
My bad. I beg forgiveness, Final Boss.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
If we want for fun, we could do a side pool of predictions- Stuff like most picked character, most banned character, top 3 finishers, etc.

I'd be happy to collate it.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Here's my tentative rules for the Prediction Pool. I'm open to suggestions through to Monday when I'll finalize it and you can send me your surveys.

There's two kinds of questions, Numerical and Binary/Yes/No questions.

For Numerical questions, they will generally be worth 3 points. These points will be awarded to the closest guesser, 2 to 2nd, and 1 for 3rd in each category. A direct hit guess gets a bonus point on top of that. All people with the same guess get the same number of points.

For Binary questions, being correct gets you 1 point. Being correct AND picking the underdog choice (The less picked one) gets you a bonus point as well.

Yes, you could manipulate your matches to trigger some of these. If you do, good on you.

The questions:
Most Drafted Character [Pick 1]
Most Banned Character [Pick 1]
Hopes Dashed Award (Character with the Worst Win% overall, highest number of matches played as a tiebreak, at least two matches) [Pick 1]
Number of Unique Characters Drafted (out of 55) [Five/Four/Three Point Question!]
More Male or Female characters Drafted? [Male/Female]

[All of these are Yes/No questions]
Will there be a...
Mirror Match?
Timeout Win?
Left to Get a Drink award? (Match over by the end of Beat 5)
Draw Match?
"Player Eliminated" Effect? (Adjenna, Iaxus, some Finishers, etc.)

Lastly:
Finals Trifecta
Pick 3 characters you think will be in the finals. For each one you get right, get 1 Point. Get all 3 of your picks in, get a bonus point for 4 Total.

There's three questions I'd like to do but they rely on some more sophisticated match reporting that's everyone's responsibility.

Largest Margin of Victory
Number of Finishers Landed (3 Pts)
Full Meter Award (How many unused special action cards over all matches?)(3 Pts)

I'd love to do "Number of Dashes used" too but that's just tedious to record.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Heketch is really dirty. I'm thinking of grabbing him myself, given the field.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Teasingly vague info: Of the 17 current signups, I have nine team submissions.

No character has been picked more than twice.

Looks like we've getting a diverse field, folks.

Noooooo my five point bonus prediction~

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; one question that came up in play regarding Kallistar: if I'm in human form and use Flare style, does the Soak I get apply to the damage I should be taking from Flare?

There's nothing in the FAQ saying it doesn't, and since you get the Soak during the Ante phase which is before the Reveal phase, my understanding is that I should only be taking 2 damage.

There's a difference between Damage and Life Loss.

Damage:
-Can Stun you, checking against Stun Guard.
-Is Absorbed by Soak.
-Can reduce you to 0 and lose you the game.

Life Loss:
-Can never Stun.
-Ignores Soak and Stun Guard and is only blocked by effects that specifically say "no Life Loss".
-Can't reduce you below 0.

So, the Soak doesn't apply to Flare's life loss, but it also doesn't Stun you for using it!

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Okay, I'm reposting this from a couple of pages back and codifying this. I'll try and award some prize (Forum title, plat, or something) to the winner of the pool.

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE: PREDICTION POOL:

There's two kinds of questions, Numerical and Binary/Yes/No questions.

For Numerical questions, they will generally be worth 3 points. These points will be awarded to the closest guesser, 2 to 2nd, and 1 for 3rd in each category. A direct hit guess gets a bonus point on top of that. All people with the same guess get the same number of points.

For Binary questions, being correct gets you 1 point. Being correct AND picking the underdog choice (The less picked one) gets you a bonus point as well.

Yes, you could manipulate your matches to trigger some of these. If you do, good on you.

The questions:
Most Played Character [Pick 1, 3 points if you're right, 2 or 1 for second or third, all ties pay out]
Most Banned Character [Pick 1, 3 points if you're right, 2 or 1 for second or third, all ties pay out]
Hopes Dashed Award (Character with the Worst Win% overall, highest number of matches played as a tiebreak, at least two matches) [Pick 1, 3 points if you're right, 2 or 1 for second or third, all ties pay out]
Number of Unique Characters Drafted (out of 55) [1,2, 3 Point Question!]

[All of these are 1 point, Yes/No questions]
Will there be a...
Mirror Match?
Timeout Win?
Left to Get a Drink award? (Match over by the end of Beat 5)
Draw Match?
"Player Eliminated" Effect? (Adjenna, Iaxus, some Finishers, etc.)

Lastly:
Finals Trifecta
Pick 3 characters you think will be in the finals. For each one you get right, get 1 Point. Get all 3 of your picks in, get a bonus point for 4 Total.

If Players can report these as they go, these questions will remain active. if I have any missing records after the initial rounds, I'll have to throw these out.

Largest Margin of Victory (Guess a Life difference, 3 Pts)
Number of Finishers Landed (3 Pts)
Full Meter Award (How many unused special action cards over all matches?)(3 Pts)

Send in your predictions to me by PM, ASAP. Sorry about the lag on this, been a busy week. Good luck to all!

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I have a new opponent now? Huh.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
That feeling when you look just as things are changing. Roger that~

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
He's pretty strong at first read! I actually really like him.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Match report against the esteemed Androc.

I had Baenvier, Malandrax, and Larimore against his Rukyuk, Malandrax, Gaspar. I banned Malandrax because mirror matches terrify me, and he banned Baenvier.

First match: Gaspar vs. Larimore:

This match was a week ago and I've lost my notes for it, but it was a back and forth match where I was able to stack up Firepower when bases were down. Match concluded (I think) with a Blistering Shot into a Blank Infinity, where I just waited for the soak to go down.

Something like 7-0.

Second match tonight: Rukyuk vs Larimore:
A long match that was very close until a Clash beat with Blistering up where I was able to cash in with a Burst and hold onto my tokens. A Pulse repositioned the board under threat of further Blistering but a Dash Clash at beat 12 when Ruk didn't play a bullet put an end to the gunslinging.

12-0, 1 SA used.

Androc is an A+ cool dude, would play with again.

Also props to R1 Matchup hooman, who summed up the match so perfectly I had nothing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Andarel posted:

I guess it doesn't do brackets by points and instead goes by overall match W/L because I was sure I would be playing Fnorder. Now I just have to deal with Sir Control Characters instead :toot: All of my minor scheming for naught!

Let's be real, this just makes our eventual climactic grudge match that much more intense.