Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Ground floor woot

War and Fate are supposed to be shipping later this month, right?

As of the last we heard, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

A reminder that these things are perfect for putting individual character sets in (cards, tokens, standup):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TT3KM

Do they work if the cards are sleeved?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I have the same thing for my set and all of my cards are sleeved. Basic penny sleeves, mind, but they are all sleeved just fine. Endrbyt's box is a tight fit because he just has so much to squeeze in there but no one else has a problem.

I'd be using ultra-pro pro-mattes, so it'd take up a little more space than penny sleeves. But I might buy a few just to try out and if it doesn't work they can definitely be used in other games.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, do both characters need to use the same bases? I don't think they do but I'm too lazy to look right now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

I'll offer a few, then.

Pros:
  • Pulse and Cancel, and their stupid rules interactions, get buried in a shallow grave outside town.
  • Force Pulse is a much, much cleaner option.
  • Being able to swap your finisher mid-game is nice.
  • "Feels" more Video Game-y than the SAC. This is actually important for teaching new players--the more a newbie can file new rules under a preexisting mental box, the faster they'll grasp the concepts
  • Seriously, Pulse and Cancel make no goddamn sense half the time.

Cons:
  • Force Gauge games have even more tracking, adding to the burden of comprehension and calculation, particularly for newer players. You already have to track your life, their life, their available styles/bases, their pool of Widget Tokens, your pile of Doodad Markers, and now the Force Gauge. Congrats, you've added another wall of fiddliness to alienate newbies.
  • Still couldn't figure out how to not put a dumb extra card in the players' hands, eh Brad?
  • The Force Special can start in a discard instead of a Style? That's loving ludicrous. You'll always choose it for Discard 1. :psyduck:
  • Marmelee is very sad without Pulse/Cancel. Voco is probably also sad, but Voco is always sad.

My opinion? I don't like either Force Gauge or Special Actions as a tournament format. We should just go back to ante finishers, like god intended. It's cleaner, it snaps nicely into the basic rules architecture of the game, and Baenvoir can loving suck on it (no you can't Spellbreak my Laser Lattice you prick).

I would prefer special actions and ante finishers, honestly.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

I really like the Special Action cards, and I feel the characters work much better with all three options (once) than with either both options... or whatever else the Force Gauge gets you. Doesn't Force Gauge allow you to spend for Stun Guard? I'm not ok with that.

I'm not sure. But allowing characters to use pulse/cancel/finisher on the card while still having their finishers available as an ante makes finishers way, way more significant.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

This is correct.

• With Force Gauge, you start with 2 Force, and gain 1 Force every recycle step, or 2 Force if you're at 7 or less life. Force Maxes out at 10.
  • As an Ante, you may spend 2 Force for an "Overcharge," which gives the above effects. You can Overcharge multiple times, but must choose a different effect each time (so no +4 initiative or Stun Guard 6 or whatever).
  • As an End of Beat Effect, you may spend 7 force for a "Pulse" - either Move 3, or Move an adjacent opponent 3.
  • You also have the "Force Special Action" style, which is played like the old SAC. If played when your Life < Force, it replaces your pair with your finisher. If Life > Force, you gain 1 Force on reveal and may flip your Finisher over, then you execute the attack (which is just the unmodified base).

So yeah, you can get Stun Guard, although it's below the magic number (3) by itself, and you have to ante it blind. It does boost Shot a bit, since SG4 shot is almost as reliable as Strike.

My big problem with Force Gauge is the inclusion of the Force Special Action card, which is inelegant as hell. You could have easily just made the Finisher an Ante effect, and make flipping the finisher an Overcharge option. But no, we have to have this extra wasted card. Which, may I remind you, can sub for a style in your opening discards, what the actual gently caress Brad.

Guess I'll just try out Force Gauge + Ante Finishers then and see how that works :shrug:. You're absolutely right about the card inclusion though. The meter is supposed to be a separate resource, :ughh:

I really feel like the game isn't quite complete without ante finishers on the table, regardless of what other rules you're using.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If anyone gets to check out BattleCON online it is your duty to report here immediately.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Pulled top four at BattleCON Worlds at Gen Con, with a draft team of Lixis, Mikhail, and Vannah. Lost first round, then swept the losers' bracket up until losers' finals, where I fell to Shektur.

What'd you play in the finals?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone play Millenium Blades at the con? I'm interested in impressions when the feeding frenzy is over

A goon earlier up the thread called it an instant buy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I would second Sellswords and Pixel Tactics as well. I'm reasonably excited for Exceed but willing to have my hopes dashed upon the rocks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Andarel posted:

Comparable. If you organize your spells efficiently, MB has maybe 20% more table space required than Argent in my experience.

drat.

Not gonna stop me from buying it for a loving moment, though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

It could be a buggy, horrific mess, and I could know that ahead of time, and I probably will still buy it day one. :toot:

Only probably? C'mon now. We're going to preorder it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm super down for those finishers, that's super cool of you. I was fortunate enough that a buddy of mine who was at GenCon knew I'd want that Hikaru and he picked it up for me.

Also god damnit 120 bucks ffffffff

Also I'm super digging those preview tracks. drat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You also get all future as yet unrevealed content that will come out for the game, I think? Not gonna lie though getting all the soundtrack poo poo is super loving tempting.

e: They put an alpha match up online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGBVV0gwdk

S.J. fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 17, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

My poo poo aint here even though a friend of mine in the same city has his :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

My stuff just got here. These playmats are loving rad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I got my stuff today but never received a shipping notification, for what it's worth.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

I just picked up Armory. I'm not sure why.

Because the special and delta bases are loving rad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is Devastation the "better" deal when it comes to a starter pack? It's a little more than I'd like to pay right now, but if it can teach me and others how to play then I guess I could just dive right in with that one.

Yes. And there are some posts not too far upthread about how the suggested starter Devastation characters - Shekhtur and Eligor - are much better characters to learn the game with than those from War.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

There's been a couple factory misprints. I had my whole Flight 1 get printed offset.

L99 mailed me the replacements immediately, they arrived two days from submitting the complaint. In the middle of handling War/Fate fulfillment. These guys bend over backwards to do right by the customer.

I've been waiting a week and a half after contacting them and haven't been responded to, on the other hand. Although my only problem was 4 damaged cards, not an entirely misprinted flight.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Andarel posted:

You might want to use the new starting positions (XX1X2XX instead of X1XXX2X), but that just makes Stalwart Strike hurt a bit less anyways.

You've got the flow of Pendros' UA right, though the implications are sorta interesting:

Beat 1: Both players play their cards, you place a token.
Beat 2: Both players play their cards, you reveal the token.
Beat 3: Both players play their cards, the token activates before any card effects resolve.

That means you get 2 beats to move onto the token with the knowledge of what it is, while they get the same number of beats but they never get to play cards knowing what the token is. However, if they've got good controllable movement (like Dash) on the second beat, they can choose whether or not they want to end up on it (though that's got other risks) - you get a lot more control over them than the opponent does.

This is true and gently caress me is Pendros hard for me to play for whatever reason compared to the other DevF1 characters

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Realtalk, Pendros would feel more at home among the flight 3 characters than flight 1. I think they sorta justify putting him at flight 1 because his styles don't interact with his UA in any real way and they wanted one of each "fighter type" in flight 1, but Runika would've been a much better choice for a flight 1 brawler. His UA is just too weird and he'd be a better fighter if he wasn't so completely lacking in synergy between his attacks and his UA. The traps just kinda happen while he also punches you, which is weird and completely unlikely every other fighter in the game, whose entire style is built around their UA.

"Oh you decided to move this turn. Because 3/4ths of my abilities are beneficial. Enjoy your priority bonus :("

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So will the devastation 'patches' Brad's mentioned, like Guard and Voco/Marmalee overhauls be coming in 'Devastation : Extended : Extended' or what.

Where did he mention this, by the way? I don't remember seeing it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

There's already two more expandalones announced for next year: Trials of Indines and Wanderers of Indines. Both will be Fate-size boxes, ten fighters with no frills.

At this point I just want another set of bases printed that have the same colored backs as my stuff from Devastation but with the new artwork :( I'll throw a couple bucks at it for the sake of my OCD.

e: By that I mean I'll gladly pay 10-15 dollars for a full set of all the normal and special/weapon/etc bases to match my devastation cards.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 12, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I understand why they're launching with this IP, but half the character designs don't look particularly interesting. I'll have to check out the demo again though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah. To be more precise about how I feel, the reason they will have to compete directly with Yomi is because non-constructed, but decks. With constructed games, you can theoretically blame a poor build on your deck, which is your own fault. When the decks are prebuilt, the addition of randomness and the lack of player control in the imbalance takes away agency. Not to say randomness can't create agency, poker is basically all about the metagame around randomness. But I sincerely doubt this game will be able to create enough metadecisions born from the game to make it preferable over either Yomi (which is, for all its flaws, just about as close to perfectly balanced as a game of its kind can get) or card games that let you build your own deck.

And considering how badly the UFS is limping along, I really don't think Exceed's got any kind of sustainability.

Has UFS even managed to come out with a full set since Jasco bought them, like, two years ago or so? I don't think they have.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Volfogg posted:

Yes they have. 7 Booster Sets and two Tin Mini-Sets.

I've actually been thinking of putting a UFS thread together. Just need to take the time just write one up.

Have they fixed the terrible card layout yet? :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Volfogg posted:

Honest question, what about the card layout do you think is terrible?

Honestly I don't think it's the layout that bothers me so much that a lot of the symbols on the cards look like 90's clip art.

e: And the fact that I'll always be butthurt that it's not an LCG like it ought to be

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Andarel posted:

Battlecon day, wonder who I should play. Maybe I should try and learn all the secrets of Welsie.

I hear money is pretty great. You should get more of it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Andarel posted:

But gerard costs money to play

oh i see how it is

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I lost to my dad. :negative:

Bruce Lee (me) vs. Eligor (him)

I got two lucky hits at the start, but the rest of the battle he keep moving just out of my range. At least he knows that Bruce Lee isn't an instant win character; and now I do too. :smith:

Bruce Lee seems like a less powerful Jager. And that bothers me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm not even arguing much less powerful, just sad that Jager turned out as bonkers as he did. Even a cursory reading of his cards when I first opened the box had my eyes bugging out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

I am in with a question.

One of my classes this semester has us working on a project that was selected by the students. The one I ended up working on is a League/Tournament manager that is going to be used for exactly this situation.

While it's not ready yet, once we get to beta, can I have you guys help test it?

e: I vote Special Action and C.

I am all over beta testing

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The card backs being different bugs the gently caress out of me

S.J.
May 19, 2008

God damnit, I just can't even get my friend's together to even play this. Someone is always so adamant on not being able to make it the one day everyone else can get together. :negative:

So get everyone together who can play and screw the other guy? :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'd do that if I haven't done that already like three times. He keeps flaking out and it's getting to the point where I just wont invite him anymore.

But then I'll be the bad guy. :downs:

Fine then, be the bad guy. They'll get over it, or they'll start showing up, or they'll show you why you shouldn't have been hanging out with them in the first place. Win-win!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just got my alt-art Runika promo. This thing is loving siiiiiiick

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Also, use the beginner get out of jail free cards that come with devastation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That is sick. To bad I'll never be able to get one :(