Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Yay! Fantastic OP. I'm half-eager and half-dreading making those tuckboxes for myself when all my stuff finally arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I would, but I'm already running two games. If anyone else would like to try their hand at modding, it honestly doesn't take that much time or effort! It can be fun to see inside the twisted brains of Battlecon players too. All you need to do is check out those wonderful links in the OP and you'll find a directory full of all the files you need to get a game up and running!

Speaking of which, my computer just died a death. About to run a system reset, which should fix everything right up, but in case it doesn't and I take a while to update games, you know why!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

ActingPower posted:

Speaking of double newbie fights, was anyone curious to try playing the PnP version of Exceed that just came out? I would be willing to mod it if people wanted to give it a shot.

What's that?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
The default bases are the ones the fighters are actually balanced around. Beta bases are significantly less balanced but probably also more interesting - the Dash variant especially, as it involves actual decision-making rather than just being a panic button for you to mash. No idea what Delta is. EX and Almighty are basically there if you want to play around with multiple fighters teaming up against one super-strong fighter - if you're a KoF or Skullgirls fan, you may get a kick out of this. IMO, EX/Almighty aren't particularly balanced either and only good for a couple novelty matches. To each their own of course, though, and it never hurts to try it out!

If you're really looking for a variant play mode, pick up Strikers! It's quite a lot of fun, adds a new dimension to the game without messing up the carefully balanced system too much, and is basically the only way to play Tag Mode IMHO.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Saguaro PI posted:

Yeah, they're the new set that comes with Armoury. The wiki has them.

The big issue is that the Burst replacement, Sweep, is straight up the best base on account of every one of them being range 1 and Sweep having "Attacks at range 1 do not hit".

And it has base power 4, lmao. Not sure why he thought that was a good idea.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Shadow225 posted:

If you don't mind potentially slow updates while I figure it out, I can mod this.

Alright alright alright. It'd be pretty unsportsmanlike of me to choose a character while already knowing who my opponent is playing, so roll me a random please!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I don't suppose Pixel Tactics versions of Lymn and Thessala Three are lurking behind a corner somewhere? I decided to collect all the Pixel Tactics sprites of Battlecon characters into one place for easy use, and those were the only two I couldn't find.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Saguaro PI posted:

They're in two of the mini sets, I believe.

Oh thank goodness. I was not looking forward to having to make a Lymn sprite.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wol, don't go totally random. Pick one of your best characters.

You get what you ask for. I choose gun elf Rukyuk.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I think a player of Gutter Owl's calibre is going to be an unholy terror on Alumis, but we'll see! Jager certainly doesn't lack for tools.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I don't think I've played any character more than 3 times, but if I had to choose from among that list, I think I'd go with:

1) Tatsumi: My absolute fave, a hell of a lot of fun to play, and with enough moving parts that she can adapt to anything.
2) Rukyuk: I see the fighters as puzzles more than anything else, and I think Rukyuk is one of the most interesting puzzles to solve. He has a lot of weaknesses, but he also has a lot of brute force, and trying to find out how to squeeze out every last bit of that power every beat is frankly exciting.
3) Lixis: I don't really do "stand and fight", but in every game I've ever played, resource denial is one of my winningest strategies. Lixis is great at that. I'd really rather put Kajia in this slot, but Kajia is far too matchup dependent.

Sad that my other favourite character, Gerard, isn't on the list. Not really sure why, either, he seems pretty balanced.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Trasson posted:

You'd have to be insane to want to play someone like Eligor

True words.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Tolly and I were talking and he brought up the possibility of Xenitia using her Finisher while above 7 life, but Drawing herself below 7 in that same beat. Someone who's going to GenCon should ask Brad if that's meant to happen, because if so, that's really drat strong.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Mad Fnorder posted:

The Special Action card doesn't care about intent, though.
The Special Action card doesn't, but errata does. If it wasn't intended, I could definitely see Brad putting out some official clarification as to when Finishers check for the 7 life threshold.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention but Welsie vs. Mikhail has ended!
Another loss for Welsie, but she acquitted herself very well against someone understood to be one of the strongest characters in the game. I maintain that with some level of character-specific mastery, Welsie will be quite strong. She has solid set-up ability and once she is set up, being able to trap someone in an Anomalous loop is pretty ridiculous.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I have bought those and they're very comprehensive. The Devastation ones even include stuff like arenas and bosses.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I swear, most of these problems can be fixed by sitting down, making a glossary of all your terms, then re-applying them consistently so they conform completely to the glossary. It may take a bit of time, but it's not hard.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I'll mod. Send me your character choices! Or say "random" as usual and give way to the wicked whims of Wol.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Christ on high.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Gutter Owl (Iri) vs OmegaGoo (Tanis) is up!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
If you like the sheets looking good, I also update the sheets from time to time - usually when someone runs a match with a character and I realize the assets I made are massively ugly, like the old cards I had for Iri's Forms. If anyone cares, I could put up an update log in the folder?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Hi all! I made more pixel assets to increase readability in matches (and to make things look cooler). Everything's uploaded to the Google Drive, including blown-up official sprites for every character, but here's a summary.

Tokens and counters, i.e. things that don't go directly on the board:

If you want to use the board images I use, here's the markers that do go directly on the board, as well as a couple alternate-form character sprites that don't already exist (Juto, base sprites edited for clone Arec, Gaspar and Sarafina, and doggie Karin and Jager by Fabio Fontes, not by me):

I also updated the following character sheets in order to make cards easier to fit into posts / to make cards look better / not use official BattleCON card art on any card graphics: Anath, Clive, Gerard, Lesandra, Malandrax, Runika, Zaamassal.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

If Runika is hit for 0 thanks to Soak or whatever, does she still lose an artifact?
Also those are hella cool.
Thanks! And yes she does. Same with On Hit effects - the attack just needs to hit, it doesn't care about whether damage was done. It's why a common opener against Runika is "hit with my absolute safest attack, deactivate Autodeflector, ohgodohgod run away from the scary fist lady"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Aw yiss they're starting off with K&J and Rukyuk, so that's at least 2 characters I really like!

Very tempted to pick up one of the custom costume backer options, but that really banks on me being able to find a job ASAP.

Edit: Honestly, not a fan of how those Shekhtur style graphics look. The high contrast primary colours in the art look really busy set in the style frames, which are also bright primary colours. Spiral in particular is pretty hard to look at.

Wol fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 17, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Saguaro PI posted:

Money given.

Hmmmm, a comment by Brad suggests a couple of characters might not make it onto the online version. He gives Sagas as an example. Any idea why that might be? I think maybe it has something to do with this push of turbo mode as the standard play mode.

I don't know. I can't see Sagas as being any harder to implement than anything else. Granted I don't know anything about coding, but wouldn't implementing all his tricks simply be a matter of checking markers on opponents' effects and moving the ones with relevant markers around?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

What happens if Eustace antes Frostflow and uses Elementary's Start of Beat effect? Does the Frostflow range reduction make sure maximum range is always reduced to equal minimum range throughout the whole beat, or does Elementary's later timestamp override the Frostflow ante's earlier timestamp?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

e: I also wanna say he looks really weak in general.
Yeah Eustace loving sucks. I think he'd be perfectly average with all his styles and unique base as-is but without so many disadvantages on his tokens.

Gutter Owl posted:

Just got my copies of War and Fate! Yay!

Unfortunately, all the flight 1 characters are badly miscut, to the point of being unusable without sleeves. Boo!
Unusable without sleeves how so?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Gutter Owl posted:

Miscut along the card edges, meaning the card backs bleed over into white space, or are majorly misaligned, enough to be recognizable when the cards are face down.

:what:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Aaaaalright, send me your character picks

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Gutter Owl posted:

I was just thinking, has anyone actually taken Evil Hikaru out for a spin yet? He looks hard to play well, and might be an interesting challenge.

I'd like to try Evil if Ldsity is cool with fighting against one of the Secret Characters. Otherwise, random select/mod choice.

They have not. I keep waiting for a matchup where both players opt into Random Select so I can bust him out, but alas, not yet.

Will wait for Ldsity's response.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

stabbington posted:

War remastered vs devastation. Sorry about the picture quality, phone posting is hard.

Wonderful choice of crotch fireball to illustrate Shot

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Iri v Tanis has ended! You should really read this one.

Wol fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 25, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Aaaand Ldsity (Joal) v Gutter Owl (Evil Hikaru) is up!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Gutter Owl (Iri) v OmegaGoo (Tanis) REMATCH is up!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I dunno how this discussion of best attack pairs has gone this long without mentioning Juto's Fuzzy Staff or Borneo's Slippery Knuckle

im ten

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Gutter Owl posted:

Hikaru's ante is also simple. But his unique tokens, and the unreliable means of recovering them, means a new player will be skittish about spending. And because they don't ante, they don't learn. With S&E , however, you feel punished for NOT playing the ante game, because your token pool constantly overflows.
Hmm interesting point, so what you're saying is I should be having new players play Endrbyt. :getin:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
While we're doing trip reports, I finally got to play a couple Battlecon games in person for the first time in a long time the other day. Took down Adjenna as Pendros and Aria as Gaspar. It's only my second Pendros match (the first being against Gutter Owl's Aria) but I think I really like him. His start of beat movement and decently large range of priorities allow him a lot of flexibility while still out-speeding or out-slowing opponents as needed. Being able to Dash slower than Adjenna really came in handy, and thanks to all my movement, she didn't get to land a single Petrification counter on me. Will need to try out Pendros against harder-hitting opponents, though - neither Aria nor Adjenna are really capable of activating his "lack of Soak" weakness, so I'm very eager to try him out against someone who does put that kind of pressure on me.

The Gaspar game was similarly one-sided - Gaspar is way faster than I remember, holy crap! I also learned that he really appreciates Strike as an attack, since he doesn't necessarily care if he personally gets to hit an opponent as long as he gets a couple clone whacks in. Managed to get an 8 damage turn in with Bladestorm, too, which felt great. He's another one I really want to play more of, though primarily because I don't have any idea where he fits in the roster. He's certainly one of the characters I've seen played the least, and that's including Fate. Anyone else have experience with Gaspar and have any insight into how his matchups are?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I'd love to play

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
All in! Would prefer playing via Skype, though I can't pick up my physical copy until (Canadian) Thanksgiving.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Gutter Owl posted:

A few notable things about force:

Being able to start with force gauge in your discard sounds like absolute stupid garbage. Also seems like my whole strategy of wearing people out of options then grinding them down with hard-to-answer attacks is pointless now, since nothing is hard to answer anymore when you can turn every character into a heavyweight or a speedster as you please. Also, with everyone having a resource that goes up over time, people are even more encouraged to dash at every possible opportunity...which doesn't sound like fun gameplay at all.

Idk. If people who've played with Force Gauge say it's not awful, I'll give it a shot...but it seems like a great way to wreck the careful balance that makes this game so versatile and fun.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Sefer posted:

Eh, from my experience modding updating using graphics is not that big a deal, so long as they're all made ahead of time. I don't know how many characters don't have stand ups for the standard set, though. I know there were some fights using text only representations on here because the mod was phone updating most of the time, and the difference in readability is huge.

Haven't bothered putting together chibi standups for the Fate crew but I could if you really want. What I'd much rather do, though, is tweak this pixel board to make it easily usable without having to do any image editing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
One of my games just ended and the other doesn't have long to go, so I'm DTM (down to mod)