Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Speaking of promos. I could have sworn I had a copy of the secret "designer" promos that were given to like 10 people, but I cannot find them on my HDD. Was I dreaming that these somehow got onto BGG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yes!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I plan on running to Lvl 99 pretty early to get a slot.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Played Milleniun Blades with Brad Talton

Trip report after Gencon.

Spoiler: Insta-buy

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

Last night around 9PM-11PM? I was the blonde gal playing the Shur Wen Na clashing deck.

Are you Shur? ;) I was the ginger directly to your right.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

OmegaGoo posted:

Question: Does Talton know they need a technical writer? Please tell me they know this.

Email him and ask? Also you can do it for free on the Lvl99 playtesting forum.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone play Millenium Blades at the con? I'm interested in impressions when the feeding frenzy is over

OK, so I played Millenium Blades at Gencon w/ Brad as a moderator and GutterOwl + 3 randoms as opponents. Here is a rundown of how it went:

Backstory:
I wanted to back this game, but ended up only backing at the 5 dollar level because I was afraid of the game being a bit of a bear in terms of rules, but I wanted the KS exclusives if that weren’t the case.

Flavor
I am not too clear on this, but the flavor is there is a CCG that has been played for thousands of years called Millenium Blades.

Setup:
This game requires quite a bit of table space and someone with a pretty good knowledge of the rules. I would almost suggest having a moderator for the first game. It is very frantic during the deckbuilding phase and players will probably have lots of questions. You draft a bunch of “booster packs” and a core set and make a HUGE pile of cards that comprises the store deck. Then choose three promo sets from bronze-silver-gold. There are some other fiddly bits, but they aren’t too important right now.

So the game is split up into 2 main phases, deckbuilding and tournaments. You can either start with a pre-release tournament or start with deckbuilding depending on how you want to play, but will still only be three tournament.

(Optional) Pre-Release Tournament
Deckbuilding Round 1 -> Tournament Round 1
Deckbuilding Round 2 -> Tournament Round 2
Deckbuilding Round 3 (if no Pre-Release) -> Tournament Round 3 (if no Pre-Release)

Prerelease: We played with the pre-release variant since we were all new. This gives you a chance to see how your deck works without too many specialized cards in it. A pre-release is like a normal tournament, just with less cards, less points, and no metagame cards.

Deckbuilding: So now that you got a feel for how the tournament flows, you can make better decisions regarding buying cards in the deckbuilding phase. There is a lot more to this phase compared to tournaments in my opinion. First of all you need to know what you can/should buy.

A deck box represents all the cards in your deck that aren’t represented by actual cards in the game. You can have only one. The expansions have different deck boxes, but starter decks are +8 points for each [symbol] you have face up (max 30).
An accessory represents something outside the game, like a hoodie or ring of some sort that can affect the game. You can have two of these. Deck protectors are the starter, it negates an opponent effect on a card.
A deck can contain up to 8 cards. These are the cards that you will play the tournament with.
A collection is something you build to sell for points at the end of the deckbuilding phase. In the upper left corner is a star value. You collect enough cards that share a symbol (fire, water, scroll, etc) and DO NOT share a number (sequence doesn’t matter) you get a significant amount of points.
Metagame are two cards that get revealed in-between the three rounds of deckbuilding. These are usually from what I saw +15 RP (different from VP)

There are a lot of ways to modify your collection:
Sell aftermarket: Take one of the cards in your collection and sell it for the card’s star rating placing one of your three sell markers on it.
Buy aftermarket: Buy a card for an amount of money equal to star value. If there is a sell marker on it, give it back to another player. The sell marker is a very important thing in this game. It stops a dominant player from just completely wrecking everyone’s day on the deckbuilding phase. It also makes you really think about what you should do, and in what order.
Buy store: This is like buying random booster packs, you just blind buy based on the cost of the pack and the types of symbols you are digging for. You can do this as much as you want.
Fusion store: Discard from the game an amount of cards equal to the type of promo you want to buy. Put a sell token on that particular promo, you are locked out of that promo this round.
Trade player: You can just straight up trade with other players. This has to be a 1:1 trade in star level, but you can sweeten the pot with friendship points. These are cards from +1-+3 that allow you to make even trades even when they aren’t so even in reality.

Tournament:
A tournament consists of taking an action and playing a card, in either order. Cards have Play effects that happen upon playing, score effects that happen if card is faceup at end of tournament, flip effects that happen if you take the action to flip a card, plus some others that I forget.

A tournament can be very much multiplayer-solitaire or a bloodbath depending on how people built their decks. There is an ability called clashing where you have to compare star numbers with each other to activate a strong ability for the winner (sometimes even loser). All cards for the most part have two game states: not-flipped or flipped. An opportunity cost for doing a strong action is to flip the card, thus making it useless. This has a consequence of possibly getting you less points with your starter deckbox. Maybe you bought a different deckbox and that is cool? While you are doing all these abilities you are earning RPs. The RPs are ranked at the end and you get VPs based on how well you did against your opponents. VPs increase as the game goes on.

Final Thoughts

Gameplay: The game has a lot of moving parts, but seems to be no worse than any of Lvl 99’s other stuff. It is incredibly unique. The real time aspect is really awesome, and Brad even said that take-backs are actively discouraged in the rulebook which is awesome. The tournaments are actually deceptively simple. I imagine with a good flowsheet the deckbuilding could become simpler too (there are lots of free prizes and such that might be missed otherwise). I have obviously not covered everything and this post is huge.

Art: The art for the game is great Fabio Fontes is really getting better and better with the amount of art he has had to churn out. There are awesome Easter eggs to discover in the art and flavor text.

Other: There is an inherent silliness to the game. At one point a janitor came up to us and was asking about the game. At one point he asked if we were in a tournament to which we just had to reply, “well yeah, sortof, in the game that is…”

If anyone has any questions myself and GutterOwl (probably) would be happy to answer any questions.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Post about the decks you made and the kind of comboes you did and things. :3:

My deck stayed pretty mono red the whole time. I bought a red/dark synergy deckbox, but couldn't find dark stuff I liked. I concentrated on getting swole red cards. I had to concentrate on not becoming a target for GutterOwl actually. My game involved playing cards for RP, then flipping them for more RP, but not so many that my I broke my deckbox bonus (max 30 points). I should have had a sweet trick with an egg and a guy who gains me 40 then loses 40, but that combo was over my head and I had trashed my egg anyway.

GutterOwl concentrated on getting a lot of clash cards from a certain booster pack (swords incarnate), that is to say cards that directly challenge other players.

Yet another player concentrated on winning the meta because they had knowledge of what it would be before we did.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Could someone give me a rundown on all the games that aren't Argent or Battlecon? Like... if they're worth actually buying even at 20 bucks?

I would say all of Lvl 99's games are try before you buy. Saying that, I have had the best luck with Sellswords.

If you ever played Triple Triad on Final Fantasy VIII, imagine a game that took inspiration from that.

I enjoy Pixel Tactics, but most my friends aren't too fond of it. It is a little slow to enact you plans with the way turns work.

Noir is solid and has a black box edition now. It is primarily a 1v1 deduction game that can be played many different ways. One player is a gumshoe and the other a killer. You manipulate the board in an effort to find out who each other are.

7 Card Slugfest is a speed take-that game so.........

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I would be worried about weight at that point. Holy poo poo that would be heavy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Get serious. REAL serious.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Battlecon Online will boost my Battlecon playing by over 9000!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So wait. $120 buy in for everything? He says $3 a fighter.

Does that mean we have to get 40 characters before you break even? Or are costumes going to cost money?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Huh, just got an update saying the first batch of War was shipping...yet here my War box is sitting in front of me from my stoop. That's some speed right there.

If you only bought War they shipped early. If you bought Fate, it was held until arrival I'm guessing. Also convenient to remind people about BCO launch ^__^

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Does anyone have any scans/pictures of the War : Remastered [And maybe fates?] bases. Apparently they were changed.

Also requesting scan/pics of color saturation differences.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So if I'm buying the Amazon clear boxes, how many 50 counts do I need if I have literally everything made?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: 3 Days to go for Battlecon Online :siren:

I have been underwhelmed by the lack of marketing, but I am really really stoked for this.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PbP will require quite the team of mods. If we do that I would suggest less intensive writeups and using text gamestate instead of graphics.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

In as djfoobooo...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Joal
Karin
Shektur

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I concede to Shadow225. He won one match, but we couldn't get BO3 because I am insanely busy.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Brad said he deliberately layed out the sets so that you could buy 2 of the 4 if the titty art offended you.

Be did, and my favorite part is somebody accused him of censoring because of it...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bought my UltraPro clamshells :getin:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

UFS has always been something I wanted to try if it weren't collectible bullshit. I am an adult damnit.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I have 6 extra Battlecon promos from War: Remastered up for grabs.

Bruce Lee
Eliza
Takeshi
Anath
Nehtali
Lucious

Pay me shipping and they are yours!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

I would love to have them!

Send 5bux to [redacted] assuming you are lower 48

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 5, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Andarel posted:

BattleCON Online Update: Invites going out next week! Woop.

hype.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just found more doubles of Battlecon Promos

Danny the Sinner
Evil Hikaru
Mark PTO
Bridj
Legacy
Iris
Dr Ramos & Atlas
Strikers: Juto, Borneo, Burman
Alt Art: Artifice Avarice

Cover shipping and they are yours.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

I'm interested in all of them except Evil Hikaru and Artifact Avarice. How much you wnat for shipping

Like 3 bux

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 5, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Paid. I'll even pay for Tricky's shipping since he wants the Evil Hikaru and Artifact Avarice.

sick

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'll get those sent out Monday :)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

EVGA Longoria posted:

Picked up my copy of devastation today.

Any of y'all happen to be at Titan Duluth in Georgia today and wanna play after the netrunner tournament?

After a Netrunner tourney I need a shiatsu massage.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

S.J. posted:

So I really want to order the Tatsumi and Juto from DriveThruCards, but apparently you gotta order at least 10 cards of the same size? What the gently caress else do I even order. This all looks like poo poo.

Another Tatsumi and gift to a friend/forum member.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Anyone wanna pay me 50 dollars for me to tell Level99 to ship my Millennium Blades ks to their address?

Sure

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

burger time posted:

Get deluxe first, it's designed to be a beginner set, it has a lot of cards which do lots of different things, and it'll give you space to store the others. After that, you can get them in whatever order you want - I think 3 introduces persistent orders, and 4 introduces traps, some new mechanics, but I don't think they're particularly higher complexity.

I have deluxe on my wishlist because I want a box to store stuff in even though I play the game terribly infrequently.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Blind buy is butt
Jasco is butt
Therefore UFS is butt

Logic.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Millennium Blades takes a group effort to put away. Jesus loving christ

Protip: Don't break it down until you play a few games with that deck.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

You reminded me I still need to do the PnP Exceed.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Promo train :choo-choo:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bought Exceed at GenCon: liked better than I expected, probably picking up another set of fighters once it hits retail. It can live side by side with Battlecon without stepping on toes.

Edit: but storage sucks, box is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I am looking forward to drawing pants on an android.