Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

20matar posted:

That movie really sucked. I felt it was just wacko Burton-Depp shenanigans.

That is interesting considering it was basically the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

facebook jihad posted:

That is interesting considering it was basically the book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27AcB70Mvc

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

He was so awesome that after he died his best friend and pretty much everyone he ever knew got together and wrote a book about how his persona was complete bullshit and he was actually a weepy coward and people need to quit holding him up as some paragon of masculinity and journalistic integrity

link?

also he never came across as a paragon to me :shrug:

it's kinda cowardly being eternally in a drug induced oblivion so you don't have to deal with poo poo

his writing is good regardless

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 10, 2015

Pirate Vision
Mar 12, 2006
Genious.
it's weird how this film is held up as this amazing piece of drug culture media when they literally never have a single good drug experience in the entire movie

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Pirate Vision posted:

it's weird how this film is held up as this amazing piece of drug culture media when they literally never have a single good drug experience in the entire movie

the first halfs pretty fun, and then by the second half i'm normally hosed up anyway

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Vision posted:

back door beauty?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I've read quite a few biographies of HST. Carrol, Wenner, and Steadman but McKeen is the best book, it's very thorough and unbiased. If anyone is interested in reading about him this is the book I'd recommend.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Vision posted:

Life isn't about having fun and being happy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sleeveless posted:

He was so awesome that after he died his best friend and pretty much everyone he ever knew got together and wrote a book about how his persona was complete bullshit and he was actually a weepy coward and people need to quit holding him up as some paragon of masculinity and journalistic integrity

That's actually pretty cool because I'm a weepy coward in real life, just like my hero Huntin A. Stompson.

anyway I wonder how much of Johnny Depp's dialogue in the movie was ad-libbed, like they just told him to talk like a mumbly Kentuckian with tourette's and delirium and gave him some jumping off points like "make a Doors reference here"

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

That's actually pretty cool because I'm a weepy coward in real life, just like my hero Huntin A. Stompson.

anyway I wonder how much of Johnny Depp's dialogue in the movie was ad-libbed, like they just told him to talk like a mumbly Kentuckian with tourette's and delirium and gave him some jumping off points like "make a Doors reference here"

why don't you leave him alone he didn't do anything

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
i remember in one of the directors cut that had depp talking about the part was that he spent a poo poo load of time playing golf and shooting guns with hts till he pretty much could mimic him.

where the buffilos roam with bill murry as hst was pretty good. i forgot who played gonzo. i think it was danny divito.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

zooted heh posted:

i remember in one of the directors cut that had depp talking about the part was that he spent a poo poo load of time playing golf and shooting guns with hts till he pretty much could mimic him.

where the buffilos roam with bill murry as hst was pretty good. i forgot who played gonzo. i think it was danny divito.

Peter Boyle

naem
May 29, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Jd and Downey jr are both really good at the flubbity wubbles which I think I'm stealing from a front page article

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Depp lived with Thompson for a while. He slept in his basement on a crate of dynamite and they bought each other guns and stuff.

But the Vegas book is the tip of the iceberg and Johnny depp is one of the least interesting things about Thompsons work

This is a good one
https://beatpatrol.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/hunter-s-thompson-fear-and-loathing-in-elko-1992/

And there's a short story about delivering a birthday gift to jack Nicholson that's pretty good

And The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved

The rum diary was awesome but the movie sucked bad

Those are good places to start

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
On his campaign to become sherriff of aspen:

He promised to rename the city "Fat City" to keep the rich and tourists away, to stop enforcing drug laws, and to dig up all the roads downtown and replace them with walking paths

Additionally, an artful troll: "Thompson promised to fire the majority of the conservative county officials and bureaucrats, and shaved his head bald, thereby referring to the crew-cut, ex-army, Republican incumbent as "My long-haired opponent."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Depp lived with Thompson for a while. He slept in his basement on a crate of dynamite and they bought each other guns and stuff.

But the Vegas book is the tip of the iceberg and Johnny depp is one of the least interesting things about Thompsons work

This is a good one
https://beatpatrol.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/hunter-s-thompson-fear-and-loathing-in-elko-1992/

And there's a short story about delivering a birthday gift to jack Nicholson that's pretty good

The rum diary was awesome but the movie sucked bad

Those are good places to start

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

e: Also, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is a great book and everyone should read it.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 11, 2015

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

quote:

Another problem was his habit of sketching people he met in the
various social situations I dragged him into--then giving them the
sketches. The results were always unfortunate. I warned him several
times about letting the subjects see his foul renderings, but for some
perverse reason he kept doing it. Consequently, he was regarded with
fear and loathing by nearly everyone who'd seen or even heard about
his work. He couldn't understand it. "It's sort of a joke," he kept
saying. "Why, in England it's quite normal. People don't take offense.
They understand that I'm just putting them on a bit."

"gently caress England," I said. "This is Middle America. These people regard
what you're doing to them as a brutal, bilious insult. Look what
happened last night. I thought my brother was going to tear your head
off."

Steadman shook his head sadly. "But I liked him. He struck me as a
very decent, straightforward sort."

"Look, Ralph," I said. "Let's not kid ourselves. That was a very
horrible drawing you gave him. It was the face of a monster. It got on
his nerves very badly." I shrugged. "Why in hell do you think we left
the restaurant so fast?"

"I thought it was because of the Mace," he said.

"What Mace?"

He grinned. "When you shot it at the headwaiter, don't you remember?"

"Hell, that was nothing," I said. "I missed him...and we were leaving,
anyway."

"But it got all over us," he said. "The room was full of that drat
gas. Your brother was sneezing was and his wife was crying. My eyes
hurt for two hours. I couldn't see to draw when we got back to the
motel."

"That's right," I said. "The stuff got on her leg, didn't it?"

"She was angry," he said.

"Yeah...well, okay...Let's just figure we hosed up about equally on
that one," I said. "But from now on let's try to be careful when we're
around people I know. You won't sketch them and I won't Mace them.
We'll just try to relax and get drunk."

"Right," he said. "We'll go native."

Seriously one of the most hilarious short stories he ever did.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Fear and Loathing was a pretentious piece of crap. The Great Shark Hunt is a much better representation of HST's work, which ranged from pretentious crap to brilliant. It's a shame there's so much focus on the "gonzo" stuff, because at his best he was a damned fine commentator on the time period he documented.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pirate Vision posted:

It's great as a psa antidrug piece because teenagers watch it expecting it to be all 'drugs are cool' wackiness and it starts like that but quickly becomes this strained overlong nightmare that shows drugs being lovely and unfun. Which actually represents a lot of drug culture art because mostly only people on the unhappy end of the drug lifestyle make the effort to produce a work all about drug taking.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

On his campaign to become sherriff of aspen:

He promised to rename the city "Fat City" to keep the rich and tourists away, to stop enforcing drug laws, and to dig up all the roads downtown and replace them with walking paths

Additionally, an artful troll: "Thompson promised to fire the majority of the conservative county officials and bureaucrats, and shaved his head bald, thereby referring to the crew-cut, ex-army, Republican incumbent as "My long-haired opponent."

you forgot the stocks in front of city hall for dishonest drug dealers

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

It's great as a psa antidrug piece because teenagers watch it expecting it to be all 'drugs are cool' wackiness and it starts like that but quickly becomes this strained overlong nightmare that shows drugs being lovely and unfun. Which actually represents a lot of drug culture art because mostly only people on the unhappy end of the drug lifestyle make the effort to produce a work all about drug taking.

Every word in this post is wrong. The movie makes drugs look cool in spite of depicting only bad trips, everybody who watches it wants to do drugs which are obviously shown as great and fun, and just like the rest of drug culture depictions of bad trips are at least as common as good ones, for example there's this book called Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

"Thompson promised to fire the majority of the conservative county officials and bureaucrats, and shaved his head bald, thereby referring to the crew-cut, ex-army, Republican incumbent as "My long-haired opponent."

lol

raton fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 11, 2015

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Lolie posted:

Fear and Loathing was a pretentious piece of crap. The Great Shark Hunt is a much better representation of HST's work, which ranged from pretentious crap to brilliant. It's a shame there's so much focus on the "gonzo" stuff, because at his best he was a damned fine commentator on the time period he documented.

It was funny and not pretentious. But Hunter was a piece of crap and I wouldn't want to read anything else by him except the classical Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

a dog from hell posted:

It was funny and not pretentious. But Hunter was a piece of crap and I wouldn't want to read anything else by him except the classical Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

U cool with bukowski though, dog from hell?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

will second the great shark hunt

one of my favorite books

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I, unlike people who are stupid, don't think the books that are good are not good because the people who wrote them weren't actual supermen but instead wizened hypocritical cowards, as the book is a thing separate from the person who wrote it. I also will have sex with a pretty girl even if her dad is ugly, strange but true.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

loving LOL

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

U cool with bukowski though, dog from hell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGR0Jlo3Po

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

I, unlike people who are stupid, don't think the books that are good are not good because the people who wrote them weren't actual supermen but instead wizened hypocritical cowards, as the book is a thing separate from the person who wrote it. I also will have sex with a pretty girl even if her dad is ugly, strange but true.

Just don't get her pregnant

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress da Mods posted:

Kill u self just like bald man

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

quote:

HST: "I'm working on a profoundly goofy story here. It's wonderful. I've invented a new sport. It's called Shotgun Golf. We will rule the world with this thing."

BILL MURRAY: "Mmhmm."

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Fear and loathing on the campaign trail 72 is really great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

quote:

ELIMINATE THE PITCHER: This will knock at least one hour off the length of a game, which is now up to 3:42. One World Series game took five hours and 20 minutes, which is unacceptable to everybody except the Pitchers. Yes. ... So we will ELIMINATE THE PITCHERS, and they won't be missed. Pitchers, as a group, are pampered little swine with too much money and no real effect on the game except to drag it out and interrupt the action.

LIMIT ALL GAMES TO THREE (3) HOURS: Like football and basketball and hockey, the Baseball game will end at a fixed time. THE SCORE, at that moment, WILL BE FINAL, based on an accumulation of TOTAL BASES IN 3 hours.

ALL BASE-RUNNERS MAY RUN TO ANY BASE (but not backward) -- First to Third, Second to Home, etc. And with NO PITCHER in the game, this frantic scrambling across the infield will be Feasible and Tempting.

ALL "PITCHING", by the way, will be done by a fine-tuned PITCHING MACHINE that pops up out of the mound, delivers a remote-controlled "pitch" at the batter, and then drops back out of sight, to free up the whole infield for running. ... If a batter hits a home run with the bases loaded, for instance, his team will score 16 total bases (or 16 points). But, if it's 3 up and 3 down in an inning, that team will score Zero points.

Think of 22-5, perhaps, or 88-55. Yes sir, we will have Huge scores and constant speedy action for three straight hours.

The heroes of the game will be CATCHERS, not Pitchers. The CATCHER will dominate the game and be the highest-paid player. ... With no Pitcher and no Mound to disrupt the flow, runners on base will be moving at the crack of the bat, and it will be the catcher's job to shut them down or pick them off whenever possible. Foot-speed and a bazooka throwing arm will be paramount. ... There will be no more of this bull about Bullpens and Managers scratching their heads on TV for hours on end, no more lame pick-off throws to first, no more waving off signs and agonized close-ups while pop fouls bounce off the roof.

No, there will be no such thing as a base on balls. Each batter will get five "pitches" from the robot -- only FIVE (5) and if he doesn't get a hit by then, he is Out. ... And the CATCHER will control the kind of drop or curve or speed he wants the machine to throw. And it will obey.

• Locked thread