Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Edward IV posted:

The OP is absolutely brilliant with the juxtaposition of the upbeat and cheerful song and slice of life elements with zombies and the zombie apocalypse. The title scene panning to and scene elements transitioning to the zombies is my favorite.

saw this in the gif thread and it made me check this show out, so thanks for that :)

show owns. that OP is incredible and I hope it just gets worse and worse as time goes on

hambeef fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
We're flashing back to how Miki ended up joining everybody this week and the next. This show has just enough levity to make the depressing parts hurt all the more.

The different ED song was pretty good too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think it's a bit clearer than it was in the manga that Kurumi has a sort of delusional coping mechanism of her own, it's just more useful for survival than Yuki's and only kicks in when needed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh is that what the obscured faces is all about? I thought it was just a stylistic touch.

Through the second half of the episode all I had was 'Kurumi in the kuruma' going through my head.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Speaking of the kuruma, Megu-nee suddenly appears in the back seat despite not showing up with the girls at the entrance. She dead.(if there was ever any doubt left)

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Tarezax posted:

The different ED song was pretty good too.
Those lyrics, man :smith:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

of bees posted:

More manga spoilers: I thought that the dog had been bitten and was going to turn into a zombie, so Megu-nee went to dispose of it, and that was when she got attacked by zombies. The students didn't seem to even know what had happened to her until she turned up in the bunker.

The manga doesn't really paint a complete picture of what happened, we just know there was an infected dog in the past that they disposed of, and at some point they were cornered/attack by zombies outside the broadcasting room and Megu-nee, already bitten somehow, tried to sacrifice herself to save them. We don't know how they got in and out of that situation. The dog could be part of it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I hope next week's episode is the last flashback, I don't think I can take any more.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This extremely depressing show makes me very happy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There are times during the moments of levity that make me feel like this is series is what would happen if the girls from GochiUsa were dropped into a zombie apocalypse
Yuki -> Cocoa
Kurumi -> Rize
Yuri -> Chiya
Miki -> Chino

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh is that what the obscured faces is all about? I thought it was just a stylistic touch.

Through the second half of the episode all I had was 'Kurumi in the kuruma' going through my head.

Huh. I wonder what it is then?

The juxtaposition of cuteness and humor just makes the rest worse. :(

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Xelkelvos posted:

There are times during the moments of levity that make me feel like this is series is what would happen if the girls from GochiUsa were dropped into a zombie apocalypse
Yuki -> Cocoa
Kurumi -> Rize
Yuri -> Chiya
Miki -> Chino
No need to do that. Just have a coffee apocalypse, where the world runs out of coffee. The majority of the people will walk around like shambling corpses devoid of higher intelligence.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
This show is surprisingly compelling, I'm glad I gave it the 3 episode test. I assumed it was just going to be pretty generic after the big bait and switch, but it's staying solid.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pointlessone posted:

This show is surprisingly compelling, I'm glad I gave it the 3 episode test. I assumed it was just going to be pretty generic after the big bait and switch, but it's staying solid.

All of the moe just make them more endearing and makes the viewer worry more about their fates (unless they absolutely hate moe characters then it just whets the desire for their grisly fate

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

People who hate moe; well, I think such people can rightly be called evil.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Going into this show I thought it was just going to end up having an interesting concept but not doing enough justice to it, now that I've caught up I'm glad to say I actually really like this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

But it makes it so much easier to revel in their suffering. :unsmigghh:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I used to think I hated moe, but now I realize that moe is a lot like gore or boobs in that it's totally super boring by itself but can be fine when used as a single element in a multi layered thing, like moe in a stressful workplace or moe in a zombie apocalypse.

moe "comedies" are terrible though

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OnimaruXLR posted:

I used to think I hated moe, but now I realize that moe is a lot like gore or boobs in that it's totally super boring by itself but can be fine when used as a single element in a multi layered thing, like moe in a stressful workplace or moe in a zombie apocalypse.

moe "comedies" are terrible though

You talkin' poo poo on my green tea?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
OK just watched all the currently available eps, here is my theory, Megumi Sakura and Yuki Takeya are the same person. Megumi lost her poo poo at some point and regressed into a child hood mental state who thinks she is having a grand old time at school. The adult persona only pops up when she needs to do something to keep herself or the group alive. Thats why they both have pink hair, why Yuki has a different uniform, why they send Yuki after Megumi stuff, and why the older girls seem to respect the advice or suggestions that come from Megumi when Yuki relays them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
That... actually makes more sense than what I had in mind.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, basically under this theory she isnt dead and is being ignored by everyone else because she's a figment of Yuki's imagination, but rather Yuki is the figment and the teacher is actually the real person? :aaaaa:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Kei's departure and the circumstances leading to it were significantly bleaker in the manga, but this episode's ending still made me sad. :shibe: :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't know if the tone of the moe/slice of life sections translated well to the anime. In the manga, I never interpreted those sections as bubbly and energetic, quite the opposite really - certainly not dark and brooding, but definitely with some degree of sadness and depression, and it didn't forget that it was in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Here, the zany poo poo could be transplanted anywhere else and wouldn't feel out of place, and I think that's a bad sign.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Hagop posted:

OK just watched all the currently available eps, here is my theory, Megumi Sakura and Yuki Takeya are the same person. Megumi lost her poo poo at some point and regressed into a child hood mental state who thinks she is having a grand old time at school. The adult persona only pops up when she needs to do something to keep herself or the group alive. Thats why they both have pink hair, why Yuki has a different uniform, why they send Yuki after Megumi stuff, and why the older girls seem to respect the advice or suggestions that come from Megumi when Yuki relays them.

That's a really crazy theory, and I'm mad that I never thought of it before.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

It's an interesting theory, but what happened with Yuki? Wasn't she real before? Was teacher having delusions even before the outbreak?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Yah, I kinda feel like I am overestimating the show, and its going to turn out to be the much more predicable Megumi is dead and Yuki can't let her go.

*edit:

Grim Up North posted:

It's an interesting theory, but what happened with Yuki? Wasn't she real before? Was teacher having delusions even before the outbreak?

I feel like that was all just Megumi/Yuki broken remembrance of advents. Their was no special snowflake moeblob in Megumi's class and she was just going to the roof after school for other reasons(like to panic about if she is or is not cutout to be a teacher). This is certainly the weakest part of the theory, but they have shown a characters views of advents are not necessarily correct.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 4, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Hagop posted:

Yah, I kinda feel like I am overestimating the show, and its going to turn out to be the much more predicable Megumi is dead and Yuki can't let her go.

*edit:

I feel like that was all just Megumi/Yuki broken remembrance of advents. Their was no special snowflake moeblob in Megumi's class and she was just going to the roof after school for other reasons(like to panic about if she is or is not cutout to be a teacher). This is certainly the weakest part of the theory, but they have shown a characters views of advents are not necessarily correct.

Yep, if this theory were true I would expect that Yuki was a girl in Megumi's class, and after all the poo poo went down Megumi broke down and assumed a childlike "Yuki" personality. I'd add in something like Yuki being Megumi's younger sister and dying in front of Megumi to properly trigger a full breakdown. I'm sure that Megumi's dead and Yuki is just hallucinating her, but this makes for a fun "what if" situation to me. It also manages to be even more messed up, which I didn't think was possible, because a fully grown adult teacher reverting to a little kid and refusing to acknowledge the reality around herself would be a serious weight on the group. That's another big hole in the theory for me, Yuki cheers up the group often, and I can't imagine they'd be made happy by seeing the only surviving adult, who's supposed to be leading them and looking out for them, running off to classrooms to teach herself math while they gather supplies and keep the area secure.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

This week, we learned that the OP will continue to change in small ways as events affect the cast.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Moldy Taxes posted:

This week, we learned that the OP will continue to change in small ways as events affect the cast.

That does not bode well for the OP remaining even slightly cheerful...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For the OP, was Yuki always running past cardboard cutouts in the hallway, near the start of it?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

nielsm posted:

For the OP, was Yuki always running past cardboard cutouts in the hallway, near the start of it?

Yes.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
What changed in the OP for this week? I didn't catch it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Unholy Ghost posted:

What changed in the OP for this week? I didn't catch it.

One thing I noticed was Kei's presence in it changed, showing her in the mall.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

PerrineClostermann posted:

One thing I noticed was Kei's presence in it changed, showing her in the mall.

Yeah, that was the big change in this episode's opening. Also, maybe it was just me, but Megumi's conspicuous absence and lack of acknowledgement in some shots was more obvious this episode than in the previous ones.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Command Ant posted:

Yeah, that was the big change in this episode's opening. Also, maybe it was just me, but Megumi's conspicuous absence and lack of acknowledgement in some shots was more obvious this episode than in the previous ones.

There were some things I kept noticing after watching the episode a 2nd time, two in particular. First one was the OP, second was right before Yuki screams and runs to save Miki, she has a blurry flashback where she sees Megumi with a bloodied arm surrounded by zombies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yuki has the Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in the worst way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I Am Legend with Will Smith replaced with a shiba inu.

• Locked thread