Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Tallgeese posted:

You can't hire Light because... um...

...sorry I got nothing. They tend to be bosses, so you are simply not allowed to negotiate.

Because Light tends to be heavenly bodies and poo poo and we know (from later games) how the higher ups of light tend to view humans...loving angelic asshats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, Dark and Light tend to already be employed.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

You can't recruit Light demons because, being "nice", they don't attack you in random encounters.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm pretty sure if I were playing, the dog would remain dog through to the very end of the game. Thank goodness the OP is such a heartless monster.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

When you get Cerebus back, keep him in your party for the rest of the game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Choco1980 posted:

I'm pretty sure if I were playing, the dog would remain dog through to the very end of the game. Thank goodness the OP is such a heartless monster.
I actually have no idea what happens if you DON'T fuse Pascal. I assume the same thing, he jumps into the terminal ahead of you, but I 'unno! Pascal's totally fine with being fused with a demon because he's a Good Dog.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Moltrey posted:

I actually have no idea what happens if you DON'T fuse Pascal. I assume the same thing, he jumps into the terminal ahead of you, but I 'unno! Pascal's totally fine with being fused with a demon because he's a Good Dog.

This is what happens. I did this once. Pascal still tries to take out whatever it is he sees in the void between worlds.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Not fusing Pascal changes something later in the game, but not in a good way so it's in your best interest to fuse Pascal.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Night10194 posted:

This is what happens. I did this once. Pascal still tries to take out whatever it is he sees in the void between worlds.
Even without having demonic powers, Pascal is still ready to leap into gap between dimensions. What a good boy :patriot:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ah good old SMT 1. I didn't even know about the better translation patch! I just had to untranslate the game to get past the broken parts.

A question to the OP: are you going to show all of the different alignment endings, or just focus on a single alignment?

Inriri posted:

Sword of Justice has a :krad: rendition of the boss theme. One thing that I've always enjoyed about the SMT games is that the battle music is so successful at getting you pumped up to kick some demon rear end.

Seconding this! They have other covers of classic SMT track as well, such as the SMT 1 overworld (Kichijoji).

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 19, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
No update yet, since I've been a bit too busy for the past few days. Will try to get the next one finished by tomorrow.

More importantly, in case anyone missed it before or was waiting for it or whatever Digital Devil Saga's on the Archive now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Embassy

Now that we're in the "Lab" we manifested in before, we should be able to find Cerberus. Maybe, hopefully.

There's nothing to our left here, but in the room to our right...

um...

So.. what on Earth is going on in the outside world?
I've been here working on our secret Terminal System project.
I've had to transmit all the data from my experiments over the computer to the main center from here.
Three or four days ago, we were attacked by a mob of demons. Everyone was either killed or turned into zombies...
...Hurry... Get out of here...

That's actually vaguely interesting stuff. So people can turn into demons, in addition to being possessed by them.

We'll just follow the path around to the north from here, since that's all we can do.

Take it easy for a while. Get used to your new home. I'm sure you must be tired from your long trip from the Abyss.
I see you've successfully changed into humans... Wait a minute, you ARE humans!!

The Orc itself is not even remotely a threat. Yuji uses Zanma and it dies immediately. Moving on, there's the obvious door behind it but there's also a turn to the right.

This is the only thing there is down the side path. It's useful enough.

So downstairs, we run into a party of Gremlins by chance. They're Jakis, so we can't recruit one on account of being Dark-Law.

So, what about these four rooms?

Well, three of them have items we can just pick up easily enough. The fourth is a bit different though!

Neutral

However, Gotou's influence has spread to here as well, and it is now under his control.
So... Has my Demon Summoning Program been useful to you?
Yes.
Are you satisfied with the number of demons you can make your minions?
No.
Very well then! Give me that computer, and I'll increase its memory for you!

Stephen doesn't function as a free heal/save point in the Lab. Instead, he increases our stock cap from 6 to 8. Works for me.

With this adjustment, my Demon Summoning Program should be even more useful.

With that in hand, we can just head on out. This Orc tries to pretend to put up a fight but once again he dies immediately. It's not even close, really.

Kichijoji

After that Orc's dealt with, we just turn left and we're out. We've managed to warp successfully to somewhere else in Tokyo after all!

...But we're still inside a lockdown. Just a different one. Great.

There's a train station over to the right but we can't get to it thanks to the highway being in the way (don't think too hard about that). Instead, we just head north through Yoyogi.

That brings us quite nicely to Shinjuku, which has a fair bit to do. We'll start with this small building here. It's closest and the quickest to finish.

Battle

With it being a new area, there are a fair few new demons to contend with. Oddly, Pyro Jack is not as easy to demolish as you would think right now (but still very, very easy). Sure, he's weak to Ice but the only real spell elements available early are Fire, Elec and Force.

Early SMT games are oddly paced for spell stuff especially Ice, I've noticed. MegaTen 1, for example, DOES have Bufu as a spell in it. But the earliest you can get is Bufula at level 18. If you manage to make the arcane fusion system let you.

Imps, being Nights, are Neutral-Chaos so we could recruit one. Or I could just not bother and murder them, since they're level 7. Not with guns though; they resist them.

Plus side is they give some very nice EXP.

Kichijoji

But once we get to the door above, we run into the military and get turned away. Ah well, let's try somewhere else then.

A little further north of there, we can find four more areas to check. We'll start with the building second from the right. The one in the middle there.

Chaos

Gotou, huh? I'm sure STEVEN mentioned that name a few times...

Civilization as we know it has rotted to its very core!
This is because its very roots are founded in the exploitation and abuse of this great planet, Gaia!
Meanwhile, the hatred and mistreatment brewing between fellow humans eats away at our own existence like a cancer!
In such a world so filled with prejudice, poverty, and war, we need help, and so we have awakened the ancient gods known as "demons" to aid us!

There are those who plan to destroy our country in order to lay the foundations...
...for a new totalitarian regime, that will enslave humanity under the iron fist of a cruel dictator!
In order to stop this mad conspiracy, the gods of old have lent their power to us!
When it has been broken, they shall help us establish a new Utopia, where humanity and demonkind shall live side by side in happiness!

> The address continues...

Castle of the Four Gods

Some really interesting stuff in there, and it makes Gotou seem very much not like the evil guy STEVEN made him out to be. Public faces and all that, but he does seem to legitimately have the nation's best interests at heart. Interesting...

Going back to this again, we'll hit up the area in the top-left next. It seems arbitrary, but the remaining two are... very lengthy.

Plus, if nothing else, at least this one looks different.

Around that first turn, we can enter a small room and pick up this.

On our way out (yes already), this thing turns up. Haunts are Dark-Chaos so we're not getting her. Also she is immune to guns, so there's that.

Now we can head to either of the two remaining areas, doesn't matter which.

Arcade

They actually lead to the same area, you see, and both immediately lead to staircases heading down one floor.

It's not clear right away, but if you know the 1990 layout of Shinjuku, or spend enough time here, you can figure out that this is the mall.

And it is loving gigantic, oh my god. Map upfront here, because yes, this place is really 256 spaces big and that's just this one floor.

The colour-coded ? marks are all healing places. Naturally, red is for Gaia and blue is for Messiah. If you want to abuse a glitch, you can buy a late-game sword for 0 Yen at the Gaia healing place.

But that's stupid and dumb so why would you ever do that.

A few more new demons running around down here, but they're not really that different to what we've seen before. Bodyconians are very basic undeads but with more health.

So instead, let's go shopping.

It Is Fashionable

Some sweet new threads for sale here. The Rider Boots are naturally a straight upgrade to the Combat Boots, so we'll skip those. Don't have much money, but after selling all of our unneeded crap we're able to get exactly 1 full set of this stuff. Giving it all to Kazuya, of course. Now just need to get stuff for Yuji and we'll be fine; Takeshi already has everything he'll need from here so we can ignore him.

Speaking of ignoring, I don't actually go to the Knives shop. Everything it can sell is stuff that's either the same as, or worse than, drops we can get here or in the Lab.

Arcade

That done, I slip on over to the north-western most corner and fuse a few new demons. And by a few I mean like one, and it's that Orc. Since fusion stuff in this game is kind of underwhelming beyond being the easiest way to get new stuff I'm sure you won't mind it not being a super-important thing I bring up often.

Probably a good idea to come to this thing sooner, just for easy fast travel and all. Plus it lets you warp home (or close enough) for free healing if necessary.

Those stairs down adjacent to the terminal area are very important, which is why we're going to ignore them for now.

There are plenty of NPCs here to talk to first.

While obviously they're at odds with one another, so far there hasn't been any sort of direct conflict between the two of them.
If something like that happns, it's really going to be a mess!

So, both Gotou's followers and this Ambassador Thorman fellow's subordintes in the American Army are in Shinjuku right now. And they greatly dislike one another. Hrm...

So, let's go poking around the stairs in the south-west. They lead back up a floor, so I'm curious about that.

There's nothing really on the 1st floor here, save for more stairs leading up to the 2nd floor.

Which in turn is linear and leads to this guy.

Who we can ignore and walk past to find... this guy.

If that weren't bad enough, now we've got demons popping up all over the place!
They're all doing whatever they drat well please on MY turf!
They're all deviants without the least bit of respect or honor!
What's going to happen to Tokyo if we just let the continue on like this...?

I guess everyone's got problems, huh? You'd figure that this situation would help the Yakuza since they can theoretically use demons themselves.

Since we're already running around the southern part of the mall, we'll check out the disco in the south-east now instead.

It's what I'd like to say, but there's a weird quirk to entering proper.

We cannot have any demons summoned, because there's only room for 3 more people. Yeah, I'unno either.

So we do that and go right to the bar.

I just wish they'd stop trying to throw their weight around Shinjuku, doing whatever they please!

Surprisingly large amount of people bitter at both the Americans and Gotou.

And then you get guys like this that are just paranoid. I can't imagine even Americans being stupid enough to fire missiles at their own soldiers.

Seems that following the coup d'etat, Gotou isn't really being much different to those he condemned. Surprisingly realistic, that.

has been pulling out all the stops searching for Yuka, the leader of the Resistance.
But since nobody knows what she looks like, they're just using the shotgun approach and arresting every single person named Yuka that they can find.

This... explains why our neighbour went missing, I guess. Ozawa's perhaps not the small-time petty thug he seemed.

But if things get rough for the Americans, who knows to what lengths they'll go to in order to win?
They might try to invade or conquer the country, or even drop nuclear bombs on it!

Invade I can see. This is America we're talking about here and all.

Moving on, there are more stairs leading down another floor in the Disco. For, uh, some reason.

Shibuya

The basement's basement is... very grimy and looks like a dungeon. Those four rooms are all empty, by the way.

There are demons to fight down here as well, of course. I forgot to resummon three beforehand like a doof.

Dryads are pretty tough, have lots of HP and like to inflict Charm. She's also not weak to Fire, and there are 3 of them. Oh dear.

I go AWOL when I hear that. That is too far!

...Oh. Uh, that Ambassador will drop missiles on Tokyo? That's. Hrm. Gonna have to prevent that.

But first, we'll go the bar nearest the disco. There's someone special there and all.

I really like nice quiet shops like this. Want to have a cup of coffee with me?

Uh, no. Not really.

All this stuff with Gotou and an American ambassador planning on firing missiles if there are too many demons... I think we should focus on that instead. If only I could figure out where useful stuff is in this bloody place, jeez.

STEVEN original artwork.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The american solider there is one of those things that can't really translate well. In the original version his text is written out the way a child would do it and missing the more advanced characters japanese has to represent them being bad at japanese

since english only has the one set of characters they just kinda make him sound dumb and write it in itallics

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yeah I can see the 'Muricans going "DEM ASIANS BROUGHT THEIR TENTACLE DEMONS FOR REAL LET'S BOMB THEM AGAIN"

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

And there would be absolutely nothing wrong with that, considering the demons can take human disguises.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Siegkrow posted:

Yeah I can see the 'Muricans going "DEM ASIANS BROUGHT THEIR TENTACLE DEMONS FOR REAL LET'S BOMB THEM AGAIN"

And that makes me think of this picture.

darealkooky posted:

The american solider there is one of those things that can't really translate well. In the original version his text is written out the way a child would do it and missing the more advanced characters japanese has to represent them being bad at japanese

since english only has the one set of characters they just kinda make him sound dumb and write it in itallics

This kind of stuff always bugs me in games. Sure, in the original, this American soldier didn't speak Japanese very well, which is understandable, but if everyone is speaking English, then he should be fine. I can understand sticking to the translation, trying to make the authentic experience (or whatever you want to call it), but for something like this, I'm sure not enough people would have cared if he spoke just as well as everyone else.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh lord, the Shinjuku mall. This was my first MegaTen and and this place was a goddamn nightmare. Looking at the map, it's really not THAT bad, but I have no idea why this place is so spread out and some of the things you have to do here to advance the plot can be kinda obtuse if I remember correctly. This area and navigating the world map at times are probably what lowered my morale for playing this game the lowest.

That said, I really do enjoy the plot beats that crop up here. I forgot that in the beginning, this game deals with the sorta What If realism if Japan was invaded by demons. With Gotou using them to protect Japan from as of yet unknown threat, and America already stationed and planning to deal with this threat, it presents an interesting story so early. The early parts of an SMT game where they are starting to lay the groundwork for the Law/Chaos dynamic are always some of my favorite

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I want you to know that I appreciated the TWEWY out of nowhere. :3:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Pieuvre posted:

I want you to know that I appreciated the TWEWY out of nowhere. :3:

As do I. Side note, i really do like TWEWY, it's a shame it didn't get as much exposure it could have gotten. Good ol Pi Face was a quotable bastard. Really do recommend picking it up, iOS or DS be damned.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Arcade

So, there are two more bars in this mall as you might remember from the map. If not:

We're going to the middle one first this time around.

This bar is used exclusively by American Soldiers (and their associates).

Makes you wonder how we were even let in, really.

Though they don't seem to be working for Gotou...

This is something we knew already, but it's good to know that even the Americans are aware of it.

Nothing else in the American bar, so we'll move to the next one up.

This one is also populated by soldiers and their associates, albeit this time it's the Japanese SDF.

I don't know why Gotou would want help from a no-good punk like him.
If you're looking for him, he's in the building that's right northwest of Shinjuku.

This is actually useful information and we'll remember it for later.

Without even hearing him out, he just called in the American army from square one.

it will only lead to the eventual destruction of humanity.
That worried Commander Gotou, and is why he started the coup d'etat.

The bartender in the SDF hangout just tells us stuff we already know, so we'll leave all the bars entirely. Instead, we'll head to those stairs leading down that are near the terminal.

Shibuya

This leads us to another basement area, but this time it's much more linear.

Yes.
Like hell you do! You can't pull the wool over my eyes! I'm not letting you go one inch past me, so get out of here!

So, we need to go and find... something to let us past this guy, I guess. Well, there is one place we still haven't been yet. Namely, that bartender next to were we spoke to Yuriko.

Arcade

Do you have a demon summoning program?
Yes.
Do you think it's OK to just let the demons continue to run around unrestrained?
No.
Do you think it's wrong to call on a greater level of power in order to restore peace?
Yes.
I've got something I want to give to you.
Take this. You'll be able to find the person you're looking for.

Awesome, now we can go to a cafe that's been taunting us for a while, and meet Jamieson Price and... wait, wrong SMT game.

Anyway, Yuriko's left now so there's really nothing to do but head on back to that guy in the basement.

Shibuya

Yes.
Show me that... Yep, it's good all right. Go on ahead.

Now that we've gotten the Bar Matchbook and can get past this guy, we'll just follow the path to our destination.

Also there's this guy as a rare encounter. He's not really interesting in himself, but he does have a special rare drop.

That being this thing. The Chainsaw is, by far, way better than any other "sword" we could get at this point in time.

It's not very accurate, but it does have 25 attack. What's not obvious at first is that it can only be used by men, so there's that.

Neutral

So, you must be the Resistance leader?
Whoa, whoa, hold on there just a minute, chief! I'm not the leader, just a member.
We can't just let outsiders meet our leader. It's not safe.
Don't take it personally, we just have to be really careful about who we trust.

Are you sure...? All right then. You heard the lady, she'll meet with you. She's right beyond the room here.

Kazuya... Yuji... Takeshi... I've been waiting for you. I knew you would come.

Your name is Yuka too?
Don't you remember me? This isn't the first time we've met.
Though it is the first time we have all been in the same place together.

And I've been waiting for you. I knew that eventually you would come find me for real, to help me again......
There are some matters I wish to discuss with you...
As you may have heard already, the current regent in Tokyo, a man named Gotou...
...is summoning demons and using their power to try to create a world molded after his own personal ideals.
Thinking that, if left alone, Gotou would become a threat...

...and impose their will instead.
I cannot stop Gotou, nor can I halt the advance of the America army.
All we can do is carry out minor acts of sabotage that pose little more than an irritation.
The situation is coming to a head. If Gotou's forces meet head-on with the American army, the carnage would be overwhelming,
and Tokyo would likely be reduced to rubble in the conflict.
Please, lend us your aid!

The first thing we need to do is rescue all those poor girls who were kidnapped because they had the same name as I do...
You know where Yuka is then!?
...And also, while we cannot stop the coup d'etat forces entirely...
We can destroy the gang of thugs led by a man named Ozawa,

Whoa, whoa! What did you say!?
Did you say that Ozawa's gang is mixed up in this!?
...Please, help us.
I'd be happy to help do what I can. Especially if it means finding Yuka!
Any enemy of Ozawa's is a friend of mine! Count me in too!
Thank you! I don't know how I could ever repay you!
Hee hee hee hee... So THIS is where you were all this time! I would never have guessed!

Battle

I'll just be taking Yuka with me to Ozawa.

...My God, this is awful! No time to waste! We've got to get out there and rescue her!

> The resistance members all left the hideout.

So, uh, that was a very long cutscene (for this game) and it ends by us accidentally having hosed up and led Yuriko to Yuka.

So, uh, oops.

Once we find out the location of our leader, all of the Resistance is going to meet up at our usual hangout, the Bar here in Shinjuku.

Arcade

The bar that guy was talking about is the one where we got the Matchbook earlier. We'll just go there right away.

They're going to publicly execute her in the plaza right in front of the Tokyo Government Office!
Please, do something! Anything! We have to save her...

We do, and we'll go do that right away.

...By right away, I mean once we head back to this place. There's someone waiting for us here now that will be gone after we go to the plaza.

Chaos

Well, well, if it isn't the little wuss we beat the crap out of back in Kichijoji.
You still running around playing your little demon hunter game?
Why re you trying to kidnap Yuka!? What have you done with my Yuka!?
Look, I don't give a rat's rear end about Gotou or Yuka.

It's a small thing, but I like how Ozawa is a generic thug at face value but his first listed motivation is that he wants political power.

Eventually I plan to overthrow Gotou and take over myself. After all, I've finally gained the ability to summon demons myself!
And I don't have time to waste on a bunch of snot-nosed lowlifes like you!
Play with this for a while!!

Battle

So, this thing is a little out of our normal punching range. And yet it's stupidly easy all the same.

On the one hand, he resists guns and is immune to ice. On the other hand, Yuji leaves him with a whole 2 hit points and if we had an Angel we could instantly kill him with Hama.

Goddammit! Where the hell did he run off to?

This is just a small optional detour that doesn't do much of anything in the grand scheme of things, but it's easy to miss so whatever.

Also Baykok is something even we can use later.

We probably, PROBABLY, won't mind you. He's just not very good is the thing.

Anyway, now that we're done with this we'll head back to this place.

You may, or may not, remember it as the very first place we came to after first coming to Shinjuku.

Chaos

That's a lot of people here, jeez.

It's Yuka! Hurry, let's rescue her! There's not much time!
Hold it, Yuji! Calm down!
Don't be foolish, if we run out into that plaza now we'll be shot down before we get within 200 feet of Yuka!

And after a long and arduous search, we have finally captured their leader, Yuka!
Gotou is a kind man, and has forgiven this woman...
For the many acts of sabotage and terrorism that she has organised against our great country!
However, that does not erase her crime of opposing him in the first place!
Therefore, I sentence this woman, Yuka... to death!

Come on out, little weasels! I've arranged special, front-row seats to this event just for you!

Poor Kazuya, don't you see?
If only you had chosen me instead, this wouldn't have had to happen to her...
All right then! Do it! Kill them!

The Execution

Battle

So, uh, there's 8 zombie policefolk here. 8 is the most enemies available in any given fight, so, uh.

Being undead, they're really not much of a threat though.

They're also relatively low level schmucks and Hama can instantly kill 1 or 2 of them without issue.

After we get rid of the first 8, we're thrown straight into another fight against 8 soldiers this time.

Aside from their gun resistance, they're not very threatening either. Gandharva can even do a little dance and make them all happy.

That done, we get a third fight... against 2 different demons at the same time...

What is this sorcery??

This time around, there's only 4 of each at least. Lemurs are actually Spirits, not undead, but the same tactics still work anyway.

They are at least able to put up a bit more of an actual threat so there's that.

Next, there are four more Lemurs and they're joined by 2 Ghouls.

Ghouls are very straight-forward but Lemur can also debuff our accuracy to be a jerk.

Same strategy of burn the fuckers and also exorcise them works here as well.

End

Neutral

We can't use our old hideout any more, so come find us at the bar.
You should get out of here as soon as you can, too... Good luck!

There's absolutely nothing else to do, so it's back to the Resistance bar we go.

Arcade

Are Kazuya and his friends here?
Yes, ma'am.

Not only did you save my life, but you saved our last hope of saving Tokyo from destruction.
In thanks, I'll tell you everything that I learned. I hope it will prove helpful to you.

The coup d'etat forces have been bringing all the people that they captured named Yuka to their headquarters there.
So that's where she is...

In fact, we are right in the middle of setting down a plan to attack his base of operations and capture him.

I need to hurry, otherwise who knows what they'll do to her!

I can't just sit by and let him get away with what he's doing.

And with that, both Yuji and Takeshi do indeed leave the party.

Well, Kazuya, I guess it's just you and me now...
Please... let me go with you. I need your help!

In order to save Tokyo from destruction, we either have to convince one of them to stop what they're doing, or get them to reach some sort of compromise.
If they continue on their present course and end up in a war, Tokyo is as good as finished.

The headquarters for the coup d'etat forces is located in Ichigaya, to the east of Shinjuku.
The American embassy is in Roppongi..

Both installations are closed to the public, but to get in, we've readied this Fake ID Card.
If we show it to the guards, they should let us inside.

Let's go! I'll let you decide which we'll go to first.

Yeah, so now we get to go meet Gotou and Thorman in person. That should be fu--

...Yuka, why. Your NPC'd stats are awful what the hell. Also you're missing 4 stat points for some reason how did that happen. These are level 12 stats, not 16.

why yes i notice these things and it bugs me

At least she makes up for it by being useful for both healing and blasting dudes with Electric spells.

So, uh, next time we'll go speak with the Ambassador and/or Gotou.

Yuriko original artwork.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Yuriko's design is stylish as hell, I love it. Also that loving watch

Also Yuko's low stats are probably either because you're overleveled, or because it's a bug, or because the MAG's too high. Either way, I had her stats in order when I found her, but I did it at a lower level and in another version. Yeah, I'm also one of those people who tends to watch that sort of thing very carefully

Speaking of which, I hope you're using the fixed version

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

dasmause posted:

Speaking of which, I hope you're using the fixed version

He is, as he already bought guns from the shop, and he mentioned it earlier in the LP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its just..
Well its really super obvious who Yuriko is nj the character art.

Reaaaaaaaly obvious.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its just..
Well its really super obvious who Yuriko is nj the character art.

Reaaaaaaaly obvious.

I can't really confirm this, but I believe that this particular art was released way after the game. Her original concept art was way different. I think you can somewhat safely assume that this design was established around Nocturne's release

Also if you think that this character isn't fucky in some way from scene one, you're not really playing the game

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
It just occurred to me that even this early in the game, Gotou's martial law in Japan means it's entirely okay to publicly burn a woman at a stake. :staredog:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dasmause posted:

Was about to mention the watch. Is that based on some designer's work, or did they come up with it in this game? It really is an incredible design, I'd love to see it in real life.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Chuu posted:

Was about to mention the watch. Is that based on some designer's work, or did they come up with it in this game? It really is an incredible design, I'd love to see it in real life.

It's based on another design that's from SMT:Nocturne.
And is part of the aforementioned super obviousness.

e: Also:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 8, 2015

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
That hair is '80s as hell.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

One thing that should be mentioned in the update alongside discussion of how the American soldiers speak...

Look at Thorman's name. It's like if somehow took Dragonatrix's name in Japanese and slightly rearranged one letter to spell out "Dargonatrix".

It's supposed to be a very obvious play on Truman, as in Harry S. Truman. Who is not exactly viewed in very high regard in Japan for some strange reason. It's more or less as obvious to Japanese speakers as "Louis Cypher" is to an English speaker.

In other words, you're meant to distrust Thorman from his name alone.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
God, the bar matchbook thing is another thing that really stumped me when I played this. Navigating this labyrinthine mall to get an item that can only be acquired by answering a set of questions exactly right was incredibly frustrating, but maybe I'm just dumb.

Again, I really like this whole Shinjuku section mostly for the plot. The story and tone is honestly what kept me invested most of the time in this game and while it's not amazing I found it really creative and enjoyed it for being in an 1994 RPG.

Also Yuriko's half mullet is amazing.

Tallgeese posted:

One thing that should be mentioned in the update alongside discussion of how the American soldiers speak...

Look at Thorman's name. It's like if somehow took Dragonatrix's name in Japanese and slightly rearranged one letter to spell out "Dargonatrix".

It's supposed to be a very obvious play on Truman, as in Harry S. Truman. Who is not exactly viewed in very high regard in Japan for some strange reason. It's more or less as obvious to Japanese speakers as "Louis Cypher" is to an English speaker.

Reminds me of Dragon Quest V when the characters are looking for a mythical dragon and then find a random dude in a dungeon named Dr. Agon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Moltrey posted:

Reminds me of Dragon Quest V when the characters are looking for a mythical dragon and then find a random dude in a dungeon named Dr. Agon.

I wonder if he went to med school with Dr. Acula?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

quote:

Someone not to gently caress around with

I like it

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
He can forgive everything she's done, but he can't forgive that she was ever opposed to him.

Wow. That is some impressively hosed-up poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

He can forgive everything she's done, but he can't forgive that she was ever opposed to him.

I mean he's an ultranationalist military commander who seized control of the Japanese government to summon armies of demons to Tokyo. Absolutely nothing about that says the guy is a sane or good man.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Glazius posted:

No, he's forgiven her for everything she's done, but Yuriko still sentences her to death for her own reasons. Gotou has little to do with this

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

dasmause posted:

Agreed 100%

Going to try and buy one myself, please let them do international shipping, that is so cool.

Heh, although, looking at the artwork again, I can kinda see Yuriko as a female version of the Fonz.

Tallgeese posted:

I honestly never would have noticed that. But, this is set in the 199X, and wasn't Truman president back in the 40's? (Sorry, I'm not American... but that would explain why they don't like him very much.) Personally, I'm suspicious because what kind of name is THORman? All the other names so far are Japanese ones. And given how we've seen your mom get skinned by a demon, they're able to replace people like Snatchers.

Does anyone know what Thorman's name was in the Japanese version? Like, did they change it when they translated it, or was it the same?

Calling it now, Gotou set this up after he stole Steven's demon work, and replaced the REAL American ambassador with his own loyal demon, so he can fake a war, and then either take over Tokyo/Japan, or threaten the world with demons unless they give him a ransom? Ozawa's going to find out, kill him, and then either join our party or turn out to be the REAL antagonist. (If you don't want speculation, I'll remove all this, just let me know?)

I've never had the chance to play this (I heard the English patch made the end of the game unplayable, I guess they fixed it recently?), but as far as I know, it's directly related to SMT4 somehow. Haven't played 4, either, come to think of it. I bought it when it came out, and then got hooked on Pokemon OR. I got partway through Nocturne, but then Mot. God drat Mot and his Beast Eye spamming.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

thetrueoskar posted:

wasn't Truman president back in the 40's?

Yes; specifically, he started his first term as President after Franklin Roosevelt died in office, April 12, 1945.

He's the one who made the call to drop the Bomb on Japan. Twice.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

thetrueoskar posted:

Does anyone know what Thorman's name was in the Japanese version? Like, did they change it when they translated it, or was it the same?

It was just established that he was named a variant of Truman for a reason only japanese people would remember immediately. Thus, he was always Thorman.

When I tried reading the earlier LPs of this game, I just could not keep track of who was responsible for what in this early part of the game. Too many false flag operations and possessions. Here, it's clearer that Gotoh was the instigator for most things that happened to you, personally.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

thetrueoskar posted:

Heh, although, looking at the artwork again, I can kinda see Yuriko as a female version of the Fonz.

Also, I now have this mental image of Yuriko pounding Yuka's crucifix with her fist and it instantly catching fire, at which point Yuriko gives the crowd a double thumbs up and "Eyyyyyyyy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, I now have this mental image of Yuriko pounding Yuka's crucifix with her fist and it instantly catching fire, at which point Yuriko gives the crowd a double thumbs up and "Eyyyyyyyy!"

No wonder they took over so easily. The power of The Fonz is superior to that of alien races.

• Locked thread