Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Seyser Koze posted:

Much later and after playing most of the other Megaten games, I came back, but I could never really "get into" the first two games again. Probably because the alignment divide feels so much more hamfisted than it would in the later installments.

SMT1 is actually relatively decent about the alignments. It does the best job out of all the games of giving you the sense that all of the alignments are reasonable choices given the situations at hand (though, it goes without saying that Law tends to be the most reasonable if you think about it). Only Devil Survivor 1 comes close, but it was messed up by Overclocked.

It only starts going terribly off the rails in 2.

Oh yes, as a comment: Humans and Metas do have an alignment, depending on the game. In Strange Journey, they are all Dark-Neutral. Here, it depends on the person.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's because they're very bare-bones.

MT1 has very few valid fusion results.

MT2 has more stuff, but is basically a poor-man's SMT2 in many ways.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In other words, it's just like the characters in the video games based on it.

That makes a lot of sense.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Generally hidden.

They're basically "Evil-Neutral-Good".

Now, depending on who you ask and Atlus' mood that day/game, it either refers to their actual moral alignment or how humans view them. This is of course wildly inconsistent. The game manuals tend to flat-out say Dark = You're Evil, so there's that.

For example, Lucifer is Dark-Chaos. Chaos because that's his philosophy, Dark either because humans see him as evil or he actually is evil.

You cannot recruit allies with Dark or Light moral persuasions; you must fuse them. You can't hire Dark because they, by and large, actually earned their bad reputations and want you dead.

You can't hire Light because... um...

...sorry I got nothing. They tend to be bosses, so you are simply not allowed to negotiate.

But yeah. Light is Good, Dark is Evil. Except when it's suddenly not for the sake of whatever plot Atlus wants to tell that day.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 15, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

And there would be absolutely nothing wrong with that, considering the demons can take human disguises.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

One thing that should be mentioned in the update alongside discussion of how the American soldiers speak...

Look at Thorman's name. It's like if somehow took Dragonatrix's name in Japanese and slightly rearranged one letter to spell out "Dargonatrix".

It's supposed to be a very obvious play on Truman, as in Harry S. Truman. Who is not exactly viewed in very high regard in Japan for some strange reason. It's more or less as obvious to Japanese speakers as "Louis Cypher" is to an English speaker.

In other words, you're meant to distrust Thorman from his name alone.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Truman is: トルーマン

Shift the third character once to the left and you get something that can be translated as either Thorman or Tallman: トールマン

So yeah. It was a very deliberate name choice, the symbolism made incredibly obvious once nukes are mentioned. You're meant to not like him before you've even met him.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 11, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, I know it's SMT, and that means that Gotou's completely batshit insane spiel is right, and BOTH SIDES and whatever, but out of context, geeze the Americans look like the more rational choice.

That's correct, but you're still not supposed to trust Thorman's argument because of:

A) His name

plus

B) The nuke angle.

They might as well have named him Ambassador Foreigner McDevil.

There is a reason that Gotou is suddenly presented wearing a fundoshi and so on. He's supposed to look Japanese and therefore trustworthy, in contrast to Thorman.

It's kind of designed to fit into series meta-knowledge and the biases of the SMT playerbase.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 13, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I am interested in how some people are saying that we might be okay in a demon-infested world. That's an unusual argument.

Three problems with it. One, that's a very large assumption to make. Two, who is "we"? Three, do you have the right to make that call?

That decision boils down to saying "gently caress the world and possibly everyone else in it because I don't want to die". That's pretty selfish by most metrics.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Leavemywife posted:

So, you're saying you have the right to make the call to nuke Japan? :raise:

That's not too dissimilar to asking the following question: Does the government have the right to force you to vaccinate your child, when not doing so risks spreading the disease they might catch to others, since herd immunity exists?

It's the same sort of question.

Many, if not most would say that you don't have the right to endanger everyone else with your inability to contain your disease.

So, if I were charged with ensuring that a series of endless shape-shifting magical beings with a view of humans as good eatin' did not spread beyond the islands of Japan to encompass the entire planet and consume the other 98.2% of humankind, would I press the big red button?

Could I resist the maddening urge to eradicate history save the world from literal, no-fooling man-eating monster hordes at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button?

No I couldn't, and boy would I sleep well that night with the satisfaction of a job well done.

I would probably suffer from crippling alcoholism later in life, but eh. Details.

dasmause posted:

I'm interested in how you're okay with nuking millions because of your prejudices against another races

Being Neutral/Chaotic is a choice and the wrong one at that. :colbert:

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 13, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

dasmause posted:

Also hell doesn't exist, only Expanse which is just a parallel world where demons dwell
And existance of demon summoning program proves that co-existance is possible with time

Ah, so your idea of co-existence is only possible with the threat of subjugation within a magitech computer, along with stuffing them into tubes and combining them into forms you like if what they are now doesn't suit you.

I'm not sure I like what I'm hearing...

(Seriously though, this is a weird, weird angle you're taking. At least throw in a reference to something funny somewhere!)

As for the other thing, I'll spoil it, since we miraculously have someone who hasn't spoiled themselves.

Hell is a specific part of the Expanse.

It's semi-Buddhist in nature. You get out through reincarnation, but that's part of the punishment. If you've been sent there you'll probably go right back soon enough.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would point out that alignment is barely being mentioned at all, so it's not actually alignment chat.

It actually started coming up in the votes out of nowhere, unbidden. By my count each person who has mentioned it has done so exactly once; in my case it was even a blatant political joke I just couldn't resist burying my face in, not unlike a delicious ICE CWEAM BAH.

I think you're knee-jerking a bit and need to relax!

I swear, kids these days have no appreciation for classic cartoons.

I bet it's all the anime. That's the real reason Thorman needs to fire the missiles.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 13, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Do you actually want an answer to that question?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

See the post above yours. People take these games and posting about them far too seriously for their own good.

I'm just here for the winged metal husbandos.

To answer the other question, Steven never actually summons a demon at any point to the best of my memory.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There's actually a simple explanation for how he manages to stay alive, but it's spoilers.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Section Z posted:

Tallgeese how are the huge, pectoral muscles implants working out for you?

Totally worth it; I even had butt mass to spare!

Anything to be more like my idol Metatron, really.

I suddenly want to take up knitting, though.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dragonatrix posted:

This is good; I agree with this to a point.

If you must argue over it, keep it sensible. There'll be plenty of time to keep discussing alignments in general after all. No need to repeat the same handful of arguments over and over again ad nauseum.

I say the thread will be infinitely less memorable for it, because there will be less outdated references only a few people will get.

But hey, it's your thread!

Now just put on this helmet, because I have a very special song for you...

(Truth be told, since this thread is a repeat I was running out of new commentary. I do have one more thing though.)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly, the Light-Dark part of the axis can be safely ignored, because it shifts based on developer mood and/or gameplay concerns.

To give a slightly spoilery example for an alignment change for a race...

Divines in SMt1 are considered Light-Law, which makes sense from the manual description. Except they suddenly change to Neutral-Law later so that they can be negotiated with. Most people obviously have positive feelings about angels.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, it makes you a conformist, which is irony of the highest order, but other than that no. It's what you're ostensibly supposed to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Docahedron posted:

gently caress, marry, kill? (I will add Uriel and Dominion into the mix)

I'd have to go with Metatron, Uriel, Dominion.

Honestly the hardest part was the second one. Since Uriel is all about the fire, chances are he's an excellent cook.

...wonder how he'd look in a chef hat.

• Locked thread