Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think the problem here is this line of reasoning:

wateroverfire posted:

3) I'm not convinced this is any more moral than running a website on which employers post gripes about past employees for prospective hiring managers to peruse, a thing which I think we could all agree would be not only extra lovely but probably illegal. Unless the site were hosted in like Cambodia, then no one could say poo poo. Hmm. Hmmmmmmm.

Anyway, I put it to you, D&D. Is blackballing people a poo poo move or the act of an enlightened concerned citizen looking out for his friends?

Creating an institution that we all know would have massive potential for abuse does not strike me as the moral equivalent of giving someone a bad job reference. The scale of the activity is relevant to how we morally judge it. For instance, there's a big difference between stealing a pen from work and stealing thousands of dollars. The fact that most of us would probably shrug off the theft of a pen doesn't mean we're committed to also shrugging off the theft of something much larger.

So if we're going to talk about the ethics of creating a website to blackball employees then that's fine but I'm not sure the starting point for that conversation should be: "How bad is it if I warn somebody that employee X drinks on the job?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread