Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Jak 3 is an action platformer originally released by Naughty Dog in 2004. It received an HD conversion for the PS3, done by Mass Media in 2012. Jak 3 refined and expanded the already excellent gameplay of 2, adding far larger open worlds with complex weather effects, driving mechanics that would later be spun off into their own game, more guns, and new eco mechanics. Perhaps most notable is that the difficulty has been significantly decreased from the previous game. All in all Jak 3 is my favourite game in the series, and one of my favourite games on the PS2.

When we left Jak in the previous game he had defeated Baron Praxis, killed the Metal Head leader, and things were looking pretty good for Haven City. Fast forward to the start of this game and the Metal Heads are still around attacking the city, the Krimson Guard are still around terrorizing the citizenry. Really Jak just made everything worse, so good work there. The people of the city think that we were working for Krew who was responsible for letting the Metal Heads into the City, which to be fair is kinda true. This unrest was harnessed by Count Veger, a total dickhead, who was always around and didn't just appear this game, to banish Jak to the wasteland to further his own goals. Left to die in the desert Jak eventually succumbs to the elements, but is recused just in time by Damas, the king of Spargus, the only settlement outside of Haven city. Thus begins our story...

1. No spoilers, even in tags.
2. Updates will be every Friday.

Episode 1: Because they're made of lizard Uncut | Cut
Episode 2: The Ocelot of Dinosaurs Uncut | Cut
Episode 3: Nobody Tell Kojima Uncut | Cut
Episode 4: A Nature Documentary About Dune Buggies Uncut | Cut
Episode 5: Jakoff and Daxterbating Uncut | Cut
Episode 6: The Anti-PETA Uncut | Cut
Episode 7: John Cena Very Uncut | Uncut | Cut
Episode 8: Ottselot Uncut | Cut
Episode 9: Teledildonics Uncut | Cut
Episode 10: 1-800-777-3456 Uncut | Cut
Episode 11: It's a rave that kills everyone Uncut | Cut Feat. The Lesbithan
Episode 12: That Mission Uncut | Cut
Episode 13: A Degree in Evilology Uncut | Cut
Episode 14: Americaing It Up Uncut | Cut
Episode 15: gently caress You Guys Uncut | Cut
Bonus Episode: Secrets, etc. Link
:siren:Bonus:siren:

Sketchbook
Mega Sketchbook

Join us and special guest Skippy Granola as we adventure through Jak X

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Hell yeah! I'm glad you got around to Jak 3. I think this is the one with the best balance of difficulty outta the three games.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I love this game. I played it soon after the Jak 2 LP started and I loved it, it's great. I might play it again. It's great.

Looking forward to the 100% run.

copperpauper
Oct 1, 2012

Flexible, Conductive, and Really, Really Poor.
This game has a real soft spot in my heart. I'm glad you like it, and will enjoy watching the LP.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I actually like the design of the Wasteland, the landscapes in this game are really good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah I love Jak 3 out of all the action platformers on the PS2 I would go with a three way tie between Jak 3, Sly 2, and R&C 3 for the best in the genre

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jak 2 is still my favourite game in the series, but Jak 3 is great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I enjoyed this game but got stuck right at the final boss. I'll go into why when we reach that point, but it involves a really dumb decision. Also, the animations and character models remonded me of Storm Hawks, that (subpar) TV show had similar facial animations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Now that I've actually watched the video, I just want to say it's great how much Jak loves driving now. Haven City really hooked him on speed.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This game is fun and good and a nice change of pace from reading "Do you want to do Watch_Dogs tonight?" and just feeling the dread wash over my body.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

This game is fun and good and a nice change of pace from reading "Do you want to do Watch_Dogs tonight?" and just feeling the dread wash over my body.

Honestly I thought you guys just gave up on finishing that.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Daxter used both yapping and yappin' in the very first episode. Clearly I'm meant to follow this LP.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 11, 2015

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, was there anything special about the racer that was red-colored on the course map?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

So, they're not ever gonna reveal what was behind that door at the end of the first Jak & Daxter, right?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wasn't it the time machine that started this whole mess?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nope. It wasn't a time machine, but I like that you pointed out yet another dangling thread in the tapestry of dangling threads that is the Jak series. Also, why is the Tree Sage there? Dude doesn't fit in at all. Hell, Daxter doesn't fit in at all either.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm sure all the burning questions will be answered in Jak X.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It's either that or The Lost Frontier. Good thing you can emulate those now, or get a, what was it, a 3000? and hook it up to a capture card.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Huh, I realised I'd had the HD trilogy on my shelf for a few years. Tried Jak 2, and remembered why the save hasn't moved past 11% completion.

Do the checkpoint save icons actually mean something in this one?

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

Great Joe posted:

It's either that or The Lost Frontier. Good thing you can emulate those now, or get a, what was it, a 3000? and hook it up to a capture card.

Actually, the lost frontier came out on PS2 as well, so you could hypothetically find a copy to play on a PS3. Also, if you achieved 100% completion in jak 1, they do in fact reveal what was behind the door, and it is the time machine that you see at the beginning of Jak 2. As for the why, that's all explained later i believe.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I think you'll find what was really behind that door as shown in this comprehensive LP of the first game, is a dope remix of Friday by Rebecca Black.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Nuramor posted:

So, was there anything special about the racer that was red-colored on the course map?

The red coloured racer is Kleiver, the one who challenged us to a race in the first place. It doesn't really matter because he is nothing spectacularly special.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Now that I've actually watched the video, I just want to say it's great how much Jak loves driving now. Haven City really hooked him on speed.

It helps that the vehicles in this game are actually fun to drive, there's one vehicle in particular that I love to ride around the desert in.

Edit: Also, I just realized that Spargus is loosely based by Sparta. Even in the Jak universe, Kalon cannot escape from Kratos.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 11, 2015

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

BioEnchanted posted:

I enjoyed this game but got stuck right at the final boss. I'll go into why when we reach that point, but it involves a really dumb decision. Also, the animations and character models remonded me of Storm Hawks, that (subpar) TV show had similar facial animations.

The expressions are a little similar but the animation's better. Storm Hawks had a kind of...halting quality to it. Things (characters especially) came to a stop real fast, and the way they moved made it really stand out when they weren't. The animators for Jak 3 have mastered the art of easing, the technology's advanced to where the models are more malleable and they can do a little squash and stretch...Yeah, I think I'm gonna give Jak 3 props on the animation. Good work Naughty Dog.

Other than that I actually thought Storm Hawks was a cute show, for what it was. Sort of the Jak 1 of Canadian adventure fantasy.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Is this the one that heavily cribs from Mad Max? Because there's one thing that would make this game even better.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 13, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was expecting that link to lead to this because that movie had incredible music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

But the actual destination is okay by me too.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Chimera-gui posted:

It helps that the vehicles in this game are actually fun to drive, there's one vehicle in particular that I love to ride around the desert in.

Edit: Also, I just realized that Spargus is loosely based by Sparta. Even in the Jak universe, Kalon cannot escape from Kratos.
Wouldn't it be Spargos then? :confused:

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 2: The Ocelot of Dinosaurs Uncut | Cut

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is there any rwason not to use the Reflexor?
Its just a Straight upgrade.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is there any rwason not to use the Reflexor?
Its just a Straight upgrade.

Each individual shot deals less damage than the blaster, so in wide open areas it's not as effective, but in the vast majority of cases there in no reason not to use it. Also it eats through ammo quicker, but yellow ammo is everywhere so who cares.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

The Heavenator posted:

Each individual shot deals less damage than the blaster, so in wide open areas it's not as effective, but in the vast majority of cases there in no reason not to use it. Also it eats through ammo quicker, but yellow ammo is everywhere so who cares.

It also requires surfaces to bounce off of, which is how it is most effective, and as we saw with the Leaper it can hit things you don't want to hit like the Wastelanders in Spargus. It's not a bad early-game gun but I hardly used it after getting some of the later gun mods.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 17, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Blaster also makes a far more satisfying sound which is important.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
After watching the first episode of this LP, I ended up powering through your Jak 2 LP.

Looking forward to the rest of this one, this is another series from this set of developers that we'll never get a satisfying conclusion for. Like the Legacy of Kain.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Heavenator posted:

It uses 1 ammo per bullet, but yeah I see what you mean.

Also the gun mods are the best thing about this game.
Blue and purple.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

I'll miss you again, Uncle.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
If it makes you feel better Ape, you're not the only one who had trouble with the Leaper race.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 18, 2015

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Man, Tara strong is really chewing gravel for her Seem voice.

Interestingly, I played this entire game multiple times... cannot remember a drat thing about the plot. All the guns and cars, no plot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ryushikaze posted:

Interestingly, I played this entire game multiple times... cannot remember a drat thing about the plot. All the guns and cars, no plot.

All I remember is how I have stopped 2 playthroughs of this game due to getting stuck on the same goddman pacman-inspired minigame.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It uses 1 ammo per bullet, but yeah I see what you mean.

It uses one ammo every time a enemy is hit, and each bullet can hit multiple enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Heavenator posted:

It uses one ammo every time a enemy is hit, and each bullet can hit multiple enemies.

....Oh.
OH :catstare:

Thats loving why

• Locked thread