Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Rocko Mississauga
"Bounty hunters. As a group, they're nuts, bullet-minded gun-swingers, the loosest cannons. When Don Lobo was on my trail in Mexico, that thing where I was writing a story on those Aztec mummies, it took hiding in a pinata and shipping myself back stateside to get away from him. The look on the faces of those kids when they finally cracked that thing open."
-Rocko Mississauga, from Notes From the Front (1976)

"I'm a reporter, brother. My editor wants a story on the grand opening, and I want to get more of an inside scoop than you'd get on the other side of the bunting, knawhumsayin? See what the movers and shakers say when they're in their cups. I got a name to uphold. As for the outfit, you got it, I'll be there suited and booted." Rocko clinked glasses with Paul before the redhead gunsel walked in and blew up his spot.

Rocko frowned and spun around on his stool, propping his elbows on the bar as Ashe talked to Paul. What the poo poo was she talking about? Behind Paul's back, he raised his hands in the air indignantly, as if to say what are you doing!?

Right, I forgot the drinking age in the US is 21 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Mary Sue Murphy

Eh, might as well only charge you one hold. No, and yes, in that order.

Rocko Mississauga

You most def got an invite to the party for anyone who shows up dressed in proper waitstaff attire.

Ashe Jones

Roll it!

Delfina Fantastica + Doctor Maheswaran

Y'all still here? What's the play?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Sorry; been suffering from writer's block. While the numbers may make Dr. M a smooth operator, I myself am kind of not at my best when it comes to social interaction.

Also, I was kind of just expecting a couple in the middle of a domestic dispute; the addition of gentlemen with submachine guns has thrown me for a bit of a loop.

Dr. Maheswaran

The doctor stands quietly behind Delfina as she questions the gentlemen, doing his best not to draw attention to himself. But as one of the men attempts to intimidate Delfina into backing off, Maheswaran calmly steps out from behind her, smiling as if they were merely having a pleasant chat about the weather.

Keep Your Cool (+Smooth): 2d6+3 9

"Come now, my friends, you misunderstand. We merely wished to ensure that you are not inconvenienced here. As you say, this dispute," he waves vaguely in the direction of the white man by the bathroom door, "has nothing to do with you. But as we have established, the walls of this place are thin, and I'd not be surprised if someone less bold than my charming companion has already telephoned the police, rather than investigate themselves. Rather than leave in a hurry and potentially draw even more unwanted attention upon yourselves, perhaps you'd be better served by joining the lady and I for dinner? That way, if the police do show up, you have two witnesses who would be more than happy to reassure the police that you aren't looking to cause any troubles while you're here in town. And if the police don't show up, then maybe we might be able to discuss helping you locate someone who'd be interested in your merchandise."

Getting What You Want (+Smooth): 2d6+3 9

Dr. Maheswaran is inviting the two gentlemen with automatic weapons to join himself and the luchadora for dinner. They will take him up on this offer, they'll do so immediately, and because of Another Satisfied Customer, they'll be very happy with this arrangement.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 25, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Mary Sue Murphy

Mary Sue considers over a bite from her slice, pausing, and then focuses on Robbie. "A paper from the same day? That is a mystery! Kind of a lame-o prank if it's just a prank, though... you know?" She looks up to the ceiling for a moment, and her. "Well, if you know where he lives, it'd help if you could show me the way!", she adds cheerfully to Robbie, and then grins at the others. "I mean if it's not too far." Town didn't seem too large, mind.

Also, why would a delivery boy only prank him at one house? Maybe there was a mix-up? But then, their routes would overlap more in a case like that, right?

Spending a hold: how could I make sure the boys don't butt in when I investigate the house?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the silence! I was sort of similarly a bit blocked and then embarrassed about being so slow but I shall redouble my efforts!

Delfina Fantastica:

Delfina was caught somewhere between braving the fight anyway despite two uzis in a small space and figuring out if a retreat were possible or advisable and something that luchadora pride could withstand. Dr. Maheswaran stepped around her at that point and she closed her mouth and withdrew her pointing finger to cross her arms over her chest with a rustle of fringe. She was not entirely thrilled somehow, at the idea of going to dinner with possible terrorists, but for that exact second she had no additional comment to make, with words or fists. "As the good doctor says...perhaps a discussion is in order." She managed to mumble out.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe

Oh god please work.

Getting what you want: 2d6+1 5

:suspense:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
In both cases of Getting What You Want in the last few posts, you have not specified leverage. The move explicitly states that you have to have leverage over someone you are trying to seduce or manipulate, so in the future, please state what leverage you're using (either IC or OOC).

Dr. Maheswaran + Delfina Fantastica

:stonk: Well okay then.

The two men pause at the offer of dinner and the mention of the police, uncertain of how to exactly deal with the situation. Then one starts laughing and says something to the other in Arabic, who grins back to him. The grinning one picks the briefcase up off the bed and looks back at the man by the bathroom door, saying, "It looks like our sale is over now. You know how to speak with us."

The other turns to the doctor and says, "Thank you for the nice offer. Let us enjoy this meal! We are gone shortly after, however, and you better make good with promise about police."

Then the two men start heading for the door of the tiny motel room. The man previously trying to kick in the bathroom door looks at the two of you, the two men leaving, and starts begging, "Wait, wait, wait. She'll be out with the money soon, I promise!"

Then he looks at the two of you and he stops talking. "Uh, I mean, uh... Hey, you two aren't cops, you said, right?"

And then, as if on cue, you hear police sirens in the distance and getting closer. The men with the uzis look nervously at the street, then back at the doctor. "Are we going?"

Since the dinner was promised to happen immediately, those guys are expecting you to leave with them and feed them. If you don't, they may get angry again. Also, dinner is incredibly uneasy. They insist on eating between you and the door, and they take turns eating, the other holding his uzi. Do you deal with this guy and whoever is in the bathroom, or take the gunmen back to your place for some delivery, or split up?

Mary Sue Murphy

Robbie's more than happy to describe where it is, and even has a small map with his paper route on it where he shows you exactly which house is the the doctor's. It's not too far, but a little far for walking over there. A bicycle would make short work of it, however, and a car even shorter work. Then Patrick asks, "So why so many questions about the---"

He's interrupted, though, when Paul, the joint's proprietor, starts yelling... at Ashe?

Whoops, I realized I accidentally dropped part of the answer from the boys telling you about Doc Brown. Sorry :shrug: As for getting them not to nose around, maybe convince them you're on a case and it's top-secret and play upon your fame to do it.

Ashe Jones + Mary Sue Murphy + Rocko Mississuaga

Paul looks shocked, and then angry, as Ashe explain how she'd like to fake a robbery for the bikers. "You get the [BLEEP] out of my store, you good-for-nothing biker rat! I won't be intimidated by you! Hell no I'm not going to help you with those good-for-nothing gangsters taking over my town!"

And all of you notice that while he's yelling at her, that his hand has gone to something under the counter...

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
"Some people find that the key to defusing tense situations is to be calm, to let the universe sort it out. Real zen stuff. The immobile stone is what shapes the river.
I've never agreed with that. It's heavy philosophy and I can grok that, but I've always found that what works for me is to just jump right into and start throwing elbows. The streets don't encourage passivity. The streets want you to skate or die."
-Rocko Mississauga, from
Notes From the Front (1976)

Rocko drained his beer quickly and then leapt to his feet.

"You heard the man, get out!" Rocko yelled, and proceeded to grab Ashe's arm and give her the bum's rush out of the place before the inevitable scattergun cleared the counter.

Please be cool for once in your life, he mentally pleaded.

Edit: Hey Doc and Delf, take them to dinner at Paul's :haw:

Edit 2: I just realized that we hadn't done hooks, can I add some in now that I know how Rocko feels about Mary-Sue and Ashe through play?

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 28, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

Looking at the map, Mary Sue adjusts her glasses. "Well, like I mentioned, I think he might be a lead in-", Mary Sue starts before seeing the altercation at the counter. "- holy cow."

"Gangs? What's this about gangs?", she says quietly to the boys while keeping her eye on the counter, ready to duck down if necessary.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Ashe lets herself be led from the bar. Okay, sure, she could pull her gun and put it in Paul's face faster than he could blink, and maybe she could put Rocko through a table. But dammit she was trying to be the good guy here! Was no one listening when she said she was trying to NOT rob him?!

That said, she was forced to come face to face with the fact that her life had left her rather bereft of actual social skills. Posing and looking pretty, fine. Actually taking to a normal person...? Ka-put! Okay, sure, it wasn't like her whole bravado thing was an act to hide a extremely terrified, forcibly scientifically enhanced girl fighting for her life against a global conspiracy beyond her comprehension...

Oh. Wait. It totally was.

The moment they stepped outside, her bionic fingers closed around his sleeve.

"Rocko, I need your help."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga

" 'Help.'
That's the word that The Man hates. The word it fears. The Man doesn't want people helping each other. The Man doesn't want people working together, making things better for everyone. The Man doesn't one person to lean over and offer their hand to their fellow, to pull them up from where they were.
The Man wants us broken apart. The Man wants us at each other's throats so that He can control us separately where together we would be too strong to touch.
So help each other where you can. It's all you can do."
-Rocko Mississauga, epilogue from

Hustling Ashe out of the Pizza Pow-Wow, Rocko dragged her away from the windows and began hustling her down the street and around the corner, well aware that she could shoot him or throw him through a wall as easily as he could grind a flight of stairs. Finally he stopped and lit the cigarette that had been stuck in his sweatband for safekeeping and let out the breath he had been holding.

"What the hell were you thinking, a stunt like that? I was working!" he hissed, a cloud of burned tobacco accompanying his admonishments like smoke from a gun. He drew up short when she gripped his arm with more strength than he had anticipated and asked for help.

Help. He was about to blow her off when his own words from his last book came back to him. He calmed himself, dragged on his butt again and then nodded.

"Okay. What do you need?" he asked.

A moment later, he added, "I'm not robbing the Pizza Pow-Wow, gunlady."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Rocko Mississuaga + Ashe Jones

I think I'm gonna hold off on posting. Everything went down like y'all said, and I don't think I have much to add to Ashe and Rocko's scene.

Mary Sue Murphy

The boys waste no time explaining how there are three main biker gangs in the city, the Blue Wolves, the Sharkboys, and the Angels of Fire. Of the three gangs, you get the impression that the Blue Wolves are the roughest, the Sharkboys more or less run the drug trade in town, and the Angels of Fire are just a local group with chapters up and down the coast, causing trouble where they can get it. Robbie's older brother seems to be somehow involved in the Sharkboys, based on the way he goes on about how cool their clubhouse is and how he's totally going to try to join the second he can get a bike together. Patrick, on the other hand, seems to have only a mild interest in the groups, and John tells you a story about how some of the Blue Wolves ripped off his older brother one night delivering pizza. In fact, it turns a little heated between Robbie and John as John recounts the story of his brother's mugging: Robbie insists that the Sharkboys would never rob a pizza guy, and it starts a bit of an argument.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Delfina Fantastica

Delfina studied the two men with guns and the third fellow by the bathroom door. "I think your lady friend would prefer you leave her in peace, amigo." She suggested. "But no we are not policia." She made her best attempt at a reassuring smile. Inwardly, she was debating: Luchadora honora demanded defense of those in need, like probably the woman in the bathroom, but the two men with uzis presented a fairly clear danger She couldn't leave Dr. M alone with them!

"It seems that you all are having some kind of dispute. Why don't we all go out of this place now and adjourn to somewhere more peaceful--please, there is no need for guns. There is the, what was it, Pizza Pow-Wow down the street a small ways? Yes? We should go there, all of us, perhaps we can solve your problems?" Hands on hips, again with the grin. She was putting on a bit more of a Spanish accent now, which she does not normally have, but it can play well when trying to be less threatening. It's not a role that the wrestling world often calls for.

"Come come, we can evade these troubles if we move quickly."

Getting What You Want: 2d6+1 7

Leverage is: We can provide a cover story and lead them away from the scene of trouble. Pick two: They act immediately and are happy with the bargain.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

"Wha- I'm trying NOT to rob it! Why is everyone flipping out over my trying to not commit a crime? I thought people would be pleased I'm trying the diplomatic route!" She sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose. Frustrated.

"Sorry, look, all I need from the guy is the patch on his shirt and a rough idea of his daily takings. The cash I can get from my accounts. But its the patch I need more than anything else. That said, I'm totally stealing all of that cash back. No way are those creepy keeping my cash."

- - -

I'm assuming given my background in international merc/hollywood spy work, I've got enough cash in accounts to be able to pull something like this off? Or do I literally only have the $50 to my name?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga

"You would be surprised what kind of doors some ace threads open for you."
-Rocko Mississauga, from his Journalism guest lectures at City University

"Well poo poo," said Rocko, "that's easy. I'm going to the uniform store to get some formal threads so I can work for Paul and get into a party. We'll just get them to make a new patch while we're there. You won't even have to shoot anyone." Lightbulb having lit and dispensed its wisdom, Rocko kicked his skateboard down the street and motioned for Ashe to follow. "Come on, let's get this done. My buzz is starting to wear off."

"How'd you get a bunch of bikers on your rear end anyways? We've been in town for like, an hour."

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 30, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Ashe followed the skater, silently promising to actually read his book. She'd tried to do so it the past, but had found the author's tone pretty insufferable. She owed Rocko enough to at least try and read it to the end.

"Would you believe me if I said I literally walked into the bar? Because apparently that was all the excuse the bikers needed to try and take me for their own. Just to stop any fights breaking out between them I came up with a simple game. A game of dares... then the drat bottle landed on me. Now I'm stuck pulling this crap, or else... I have to pay the price."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga

"I don't ride with outlaw biker gangs to get my stories. I prefer outlaw skaters. They're meaner, weirder, and their grass is a lot better."
-Rocko Mississauga, from
Buried Alive: Three Months Underground With the Croatoans (1975)

"Should've just let them scuff it out," Rocko offered. "Sounds like it would've been easier in the long run. From old Paul's reaction, sounds like this town's got a few biker problems."

Skidding to a halt outside Righteous Rick's Uniform Emporium, he kicked his board into his hands and held open the door for Ashe, the attached bell jangling. "After you."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Update this evening, but I wanted to chime in that, yeah, I think Ashe Jones really only has 50 dollars. I posted in the PbtA thread asking about it (and hopefully Bucnasti answers), but you should assume you don't have the cash to make it look like you robbed the place.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Sorry for not posting sooner. I was sorta holding off to see if the question about money went anywhere in the PbtA thread, but it totally didn't. It seems out of genre to make you keep track of money explicitly, though, so let's just wing it for now. Maybe I'll write a custom move for it later.

Dr. Maheswaran + Delfina Fantastica

The three men seem genuinely annoyed, but they look at their predicament and seem to nod to each other. The third guy calls at the bathroom door, "Well, Nancy, we're leaving before the cops get here! Happy now?"

Cut to the Pizza Pow-Wow, where the five of you arrive outside to find three or four cop cars outside. It looks like most of them are inside, talking to the manager and taking statements, but maybe three of them are hanging around outside managing people walking by. As you approach, one of them walks over. "Heya, there, Jack," he starts, looking you all over. "Who are your friends? Y'all ain't from around here, are you? Listen, can I see some ID?"

The two men with guns seem panicked, and they look between the doctor and Delfina, their hands going under their coats. Jack himself looks nervous, and says, "Uh, sure. Guys, uh, give him your IDs?"

Rocko Mississuaga + Ashe Jones

Righteous Rick's Uniform Emporium looked like an old, stuffy shop that had recently undergone 'modernizaton' through some sort of consulting firm. It wasn't clear why the walls had been repainted into green and tye-die, but it certainly didn't directly help with selling any uniforms. The place seems mostly dead, but an older woman comes from a back room with a sweet smile. "Oh, heavens me. Listen, we're about to close, but we will open back up tomorrow at six. You can come back then if you'd like."

It seems like she's trying to shoo you out of the shop for some reason or another, but maybe that's just because she thought it was a bit past her dinner time.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

"The last time I..." Ashe's breath caught in her throat at the thought. She forced the suffocating swirl of emotion back down and sealed the lid tightly on it. She didn't need to deal with that right now.

"... let's just say the last time I left them to fight it out it didn't turn out so well." She said it with the kinda finality that said 'do not push me on this one. Drop it and walk away'. She'd picked up the trick during her time with Old Petey Boom Boom. A explosives expert who had mastered the art of the verbal bomb. He could kill a conversation dead at 50 paces by tone alone. She'd never got the full hang of it, but she could at least mimic his patented 'drop it' voice, for a reasonably similar effect.

The shop was, well, it sure was something. Some horrific blend of old and new. Like someone trying to smother the past in youth culture. It was pretty off putting actually. Like an old person's charity shop designed by skaters.

Given her so far pretty dreadful time at actually conversing with people in this town, Ashe decided that Rocko should take the conversational lead on this one. Last thing she needed was to convince the old woman that she was a terrible person out to do her harm.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

Clearing her throat gently, Mary Sue steps in. "Well, no gang wants to be known as a pizza thief, unless they want to be banned from deliveries by the local Pizza Union. That makes it likely that the Blue Wolves didn't rip off off your brother. If the Sharkboys really wouldn't do that, then... the only remaining suspects are the Angels of Fire, trying to pin it on the Blue Wolves." She takes her last bite, and wipes her hands, looking over to the flashing lights outside. "This has been totally sweet, but that looks like my cue."

Taking up her notebook, she stands, heading right towards the lights and stepping outside. I mean, her and the police haven't one-hundred-per-cent always been eye to eye, but usually she's happy to cooperate. "Excuse me, officers, can I help...?", she asks curiously, before looking to the two, recognizing them, and then quickly looking away as if they weren't of any note to her at all. Nope! Don't know them!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Delfina Fantastica

Delfina frowns slowly as she spots the cop cars outside of the Pizza Pow Wow. There is general ruckus afoot. The people with her and Dr. M are edgy. It looks like there has already been violence or--something here, and more of that would solve nothing, as painful as that is to admit. "Officers! My identity is my mask! I am Delfina Fantastica, Luchadora Suprema!" She strikes a pose dramatically, stepping just to where the light might best highlight the bright colors and pizazz of the luchadora lifestyle. "What has been happening here! Can we help in any way?"

She is of course genuinely willing to assist legitimate authorities, but the flash of the fringe on her costume may help to hide the others and let them make a retreat.

Famous Luchadora: 2d6+1 8

Unfortunately the police may have heard her name, but they lack Paulo's affection for the code of the ring. She will have to rely on sheer persuasion (and flexing of muscles!) to win their affection!

Not really a Getting What You Want situation here, could use Dr. M's smoothness to lead the guys away or persuade the cops or something.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga

"Greenbacks talk, sure. But newsprint screams."
-Rocko Mississauga, from his Journalism guest lectures at City University

This was routine by now. Rocko had it down to a science. He handed off his skateboard to Ashe, then took off his sunglasses, turned on that ragamuffin smile that warmed hearts without fail, then pulled his press pass from his pocket.

"Ma'am, my name is Rocko Mississauga, yes that Rocko Mississauga, Pulitzer winning journalist. I'm in town working on some stories, and I need a little help. I'm helping Paul, you know Paul, from the Pizza Pow-Wow, with something and I need to rent some formal wear and get a replacement patch for him."

He looked around, his smile almost lighting the corners of the weird place.

"While I'm here though, I'd love to write up a little piece on your business here. Get some word of mouth out there, maybe help you get some more feet coming through these doors?"

Getting what you want: 2d6+2 8, using the offer of free publicity as leverage.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ashe Jones + Rocko Mississauga

The woman looks uneasy for a moment, but then nods. "Okay, let's make this quick. Just a moment, the stock's in the back. I can guess your sizes well enough, I think. Pride myself on it!"

She vanished into the back room. While to Rocko it just seemed like uncomfortable waiting, Ashe's super-enhanced hearing picked up some sort of conversation in the back room. It was muffled, too hard to make out, but certainly strained. After maybe two minutes, the woman came back with some uniforms and beckons you two to the register. She shows you the patch and the uniform sizes, double-checking they were right, as she rings up the transaction. And it turned out she wasn't just blowing smoke: those clothes were the right fit, the first try. As she rings them up, she says, "Mister Mississauga, thanks for the offer. Any press will be greatly appreciated. But please do list my hours when you write it up."

For just 1-Scratch, you, too, can party down!

Mary Sue Murphy + Delfina Fantastica + Doctor Maheswaran

Mary Sue Murphy

The two CIA-hired specialists appear to be with a Ward Beaver type and two men that, if you didn't know better, might be Libyan. oh, and the police were demanding identifiaction from all of them. Yeah, that was going to go well.

Mary Sue Murphy suddenly appears next to the police, watching the entire scene go down. The two foreigners have their hands on what may or may not be guns, and while Delfina manages to trade her fame for her own out, it isn't enough to dissuade their little investigation entirely.

Let's see what the doctor does. Or Mary Sue can try to get involved...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

"Huh? I thought you were here for the robbery attempt... well, sort of. I figured I should provide a statement, if you have a moment?", Mary Sue offers. It's not likely to distract them entirely, but it is testimony from a known ex-teen detective. That's a quality grade-A statement! "I'm afraid I can't just hang around, I have a friend to catch. But if you can take a sec right now, I can tell you what I saw." She smiles, looking eager to share as she opens up her notebook.

Going for Getting What You Want, using her testimony as leverage, with a total of 9. Looking to at least distract them a bit or lighten the potential heat on our other pair of stars a little. From the menu, I'll choose "They are happy with the bargain".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Maheswaran

The doctor waits for the police to finish with Delfina before stepping forward and smiling warmly as he pulls out his wallet and presents an old (but still valid) New York driver's license to the officers. He catches sight of Mary looking at them, then quickly averting her gaze but acts as if she's not even there; the last thing he wants is to get her mixed up in this. "Ah, yes, I'm here in town for a few days on business." Noticing the officers gazes still locked on the two Libyans, he leans closer to the officer and lowers his voice, though what he's saying can still clearly be heard by anyone paying attention. "Unfortunately, my friends don't have any identification on them at the moment... their luggage was lost when they arrived. Apparently the airline sent it on to San Dimas by mistake, most dreadful. And they left their passports back at their motel room because, well, let's face it, they weren't exactly expecting to need a passport to go out for pizza! I am certain you encountered similar problems in the past, yes? Whatever situation you're currently investigating here has nothing to do with these gentlemen... surely there's no need to embarrass them further after the stressful day they've had dealing with the airline's customer service department..."

Give Someone the Third Degree (+Brains): 2d6 4

... well, I was going to try and see what I needed to do to get the officers to look the other way just this once but whelp.

Also wish I'd noticed Mary Sue's post before I made that roll. :v:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga

"That's the difference between bounty hunting and reporting. Bounty hunting, you got to have the original. The one thing that people are paying for. You bring in a copy, all of a sudden you've got people hunting you. In the journo game, well, the more copies the better. More copies mean more people are reading. More copies means more truth."
-Rocko Mississauga, thinking in his head, right now.

Rocko sketched a bit of a bow for the benefit of the old lady, then shouldered his rented suit. "Thanks for your help ma'am, much appreciated."

He flipped Ashe the pizza badge. "See? Easy peasy."

Assuming the old lady's not around and I can speak freely: "Now there's already cops at Paul's you give them whatever bread you got on you and this badge and tell them he's had a slow day."

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 6, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones

Ashe took the badge with a role of her eyes, a smile on her face. Rocko was a bit of an odd guy. But he was a good one.

"Thanks Rocko, I owe you one. I'll split from here, work my way back to the bikers. I just hope they've not burnt the bar down in my absence."

checking the map for a round about route, Ashe took the long way around back to the bike. Avoiding the Pizza Pow Wow. She drove slowly back to the bar and walked inside. Expecting to arrive back to a large group of drunk bikers. She stepped over to the table and put the cash and the badge down.

"Cops pulled up while I was emptying the till. Grabbed as much as I could and got out of there. Oh and here's your badge. So boys, what I miss?"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga

"Criminals should never return to the scene of the crime. Journalists, however, always should."
-Rocko Mississauga, from his Journalism guest lectures at City University.

Rocko shrugged as Ashe wandered off into the night, Number One Pizza Guy badge in her hand. Another good deed accomplished. Sort of. Maybe? Who knows.

Fingers curled around his the hanger hook jutting from the garment bag, he kicked off and cruised off down the street, carving asphalt back to Paul's Pizza Pow-Wow. He didn't feel like going back to the hotel, and maybe Mary-Sue would still be there. He wanted to know what she had gotten out of the thrashers.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Mary Sue Murphy + Delfina Fantastica + Doctor Maheswaran

Mary Sue Murphy

One of the cops turned at Mary Sue, some of the annoyance draining from his face. For all the shuffling around with this suspicious group, she had struck a chord with Office Ruiz. He looked her up and down and said, "Yeah, sure, okay, let's get your statement, ma'am. Come with me, we'll head on inside and do that now."

Are you going to tell the truth? If not, Keep Your Cool and tell me how.

Meanwhile, Office Donnelly takes the doctor's ID and eyes it over before handing it back, then looks back at his partner taking Mary Sue inside to take her statement. "Out of town, huh? Well, look, we got a crime scene to work here, so how about this: you get on out of here, and keep your noses clean. And these two better have IDs on them the next time I see them, because you can believe I'm going to ask again. Now get out of here, we have some work to do."

Doctor Mahaswaran, mark 1 Heat. You've got some police attention for covering for these guys, and if they get caught up to not good, it'll come back to you, too.

Just like that he, dismisses you lot. Jack still looks nervously at the foreigners, however, and says, "Uh, so where to now?"

The two foreigners exchange a few words of Arabic and then one says, "It is late. We are to retire to our hotel. Good night."

The other nods, and the two men begin walking down the street in the opposite direction of the pizza place, one of them still clutching the case from the hotel room. Jack looks frustrated, and like he's trying to hide that fact.

What do you do?

Ashe Jones
Meant to say this earlier, but mark 2 points of heat.

The bikers are in a bit of a tableau when you show back up. It's clear that the game devolved, broke into a fight, and then settled down. The game's over, and the bar has returned to whatever "normalcy" it once had: a poker game, some pool, a bunch of drinking and drug use, the usual sleazy stuff you'd expect bikers to be up to. There are even a few people getting together to organize a street race. You've got enough scratch, and the patch, to sell it, and when you show up to declare your success, the original players are all there once again. Leroy jeers, "Oh, we got that game over and done with. Anyway, Latch and Meyer knocked over a drug store during it, so we got enough poppers and cash to hold us over all night."

Just then, the smoother-talking Angel of Fire cuts in. "poo poo, Leroy, at least tell the truth. We didn't have enough civility to keep on playing without the incentive right in front of us. But he's right, uh, Ashe was it? Game's over. But it's cool you hit that pizza place, shows you can get down and dirty and hang with us. Wanna stick around, take a few shots? Latch, bring those uppers! Oh, and where's my bike?"

What do you do?

Rocko Mississauga

By the time you get back to the Pizza Pow-Wow, the cops have it well-contained. Too well-contained, really. You're standing on the wrong side of the police line, and you can see Mary Sue talking to one of the police, recounting some story or other. poo poo, that was going to land on Ashe Jones pretty hard. And then Paul notices you and points you out, shouting, "And that's Rocko. He took that, that crazy woman and took her out of here! He knows where she is!"

With that, two of the police turn their attention to you.

Mark 1 heat. What do you do?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
Heat: 1

"Fuckin' pigs."
-Rocko Mississauga, tattooed over his heart.

Rock waved at Paul, then beamed at the approaching officers. "Hi officers! Rocko Mississauga, Pulitzer winning journalist, hero of the hour." He produced his press pass for identification. "That's right, I gave the perp the old bum's rush! Right out the door, like you wouldn't believe. Damndest thing though!"

He leaned in close.

"Turns out that she...was a he! That's right, after I hustled her out of the Pow-Wow, drat if that red hair didn't come right off!" He gestured, running a thumb over his own unkempt hair. "Perfect disguise, yeah? Turns out he had a high and tight, scar running right across the top of his head. I chanced to notice a USMC tattoo when that fake...chest of his got dislodged in the scuffle as well. Looks like you're after some kinda ex-Marine female impersonator with an impressive scar. I doubt that he'll use the same disguise again, now that I rumbled him."

He paused to light a cigarette,

"Dunno where he went off to. He stumbled off, all shaking his fist and saying he was going to get me next time, you know, the usual."

Keep your cool +Smooth- lyin' through my teeth: 2d6+2 7

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 11, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones
Heat: 2

She tosses the keys to the biker. "It's parked out front. Jeeze boys, can't leave you alone for five minutes...!" she joked. But sat down and knocked back a shot. She didn't recall telling any of them her name. But it wouldn't do to show that she was spooked by this guys knowledge of her. She observed him coolly as the alcohol burnt its way down her throat. It was possible that he know of her work. Or there might be something up with this town.

"Hey, I don't think I got your name stranger? You're a Angel of Fire, right?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mary Sue Murphy

"It's true she asked to rob the place, but, gee, she asked. I'm pretty sure she was being intimidated... I mean, when you collar her, I'm sure you can just set her straight, right? I'd be disappointed if she got dragged into their grim pizza-robbing world by getting pushed too far." Mary Sue is honest, but at least tries to make sure there's a spin. "Seems like things are a little rough for you tonight-", she comments, noticing the edginess of the police earlier. "- anything I should be worried about while I'm in town?"

No lies, but she'll Give Them the Third Degree for 1 hold.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Delfina Fantastica

Delfina lets a little bit of relief touch her shoulders as the cops leave them all alone. Then she smiles brilliantly once again and makes a flicking gesture with one gloved hand. "Dr. M, I think we have resolved this bit of business. If you all will excuse me, I shall also retire for the evening. Though evil never sleeps, I, Delfina Fantastica, must rest!"

This is a lie but one permitted by the lucha code. Delfina moved away to get out of sight and then headed for the rooftops! Her intention was to tail those mysterious gun-toting men with the briefcase. They had something of interest, but what? And who were they? This called for a more subtle (yet acrobatic!) pursuit, fringe a-flying overhead!

Not sure what move to roll for this--propose a +smooth "Tail like a Snake"

7-9 Choose two
-You are not detected
-You see where they go
-You are able to overhear them

10+ All three

Thoughts?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
@Alien Rope Burn: Wanna roll for that?

@occamsnailfile: I'm pretty sure it would be +Hustle, since the book lists "Sneak, hide or try to remain unseen" as one of Hustle's uses. Also, I'm not in love with the last option. How about :

When you try to follow some people, roll+Hustle. On a 10+, both. On a 7--9, pick one. On a miss, neither:
- You are not detected
- You learn something useful about the target

Though if you just wanna follow them and not get seen, you could just roll+Hustle as Keep Your Cool.

Do others have opinions about that?

Ashe Jones

The biker gives you a smile around his large beard and offers his hand. "Name's Chuck, but people around here call me Slight. Maybe some time you'll see why. What brings you to town, Ash?"

Rocko Mississauga

The cop doesn't seem to buy your whole story. Ruiz even makes a comment about your journalistic integrity and witness reliability as he jots down some notes. Besides, Mary Sue was giving a full, detailed account that didn't line up much with yours at all. Fuckin' pigs, right?

As you try to paint your picture, Paul rolls up and starts talking the police out of pushing you more. For all his anger, the man clearly thought he had a friend in you. When the police give up, though, he pulls you back into his office and demands his own explanation: who that was, how you knew her, and why you helped her get away.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

@occamsnailfile: I'm pretty sure it would be +Hustle, since the book lists "Sneak, hide or try to remain unseen" as one of Hustle's uses. Also, I'm not in love with the last option. How about :

When you try to follow some people, roll+Hustle. On a 10+, both. On a 7--9, pick one. On a miss, neither:
- You are not detected
- You learn something useful about the target

Though if you just wanna follow them and not get seen, you could just roll+Hustle as Keep Your Cool.

Do others have opinions about that? [/i]

Your version is better. Assuming others are okay with it I'll do that. If not, just +hustle to not be detected.

+hustle: 2d6+1 8 (Learn something useful about the target. Delfina Fantastica ultimately PRFERS to be detected!)

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 17, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rocko Mississauga
Heat: 1

"Truth. Truth is the shank that you take with you to the fight in the prison yard. It's rough and mean and it cuts, cuts all the way to bone. Sometimes, if you're not careful, it cuts you too. But those are the times that it's the only weapon at hand, and those are the times you need it the most. "
-Rocko Mississauga, introduction from

Rocko leaned back in the chair in Paul's office. Paul's office was a comfortable disarray, not like the carefully maintained restaurant outside. This was lived in. Patti McGuire, Miss October 1976, smouldered from a centrefold pinned to the faux wood panelling.

"Paul, I'm going to level with you. I'm going to level with you because I like you, and you strike me as a standup guy. I'm taking a chance on you here, you understand?"

Rocko spun around on his chair, then stopped and crossed one ankle over the other knee. "That woman and I are here on a mission for the US Government, along with a few other misfits. We got the job of looking for a fellow here, and we're going about it in different ways. Redhead there, she was canvassing the bikers, and had to earn their trust. That's why she came in here. She's not real good at people skills though, so that's why she messed up so bad and got this," and here he gestured around him, "whole situation started."

Rocko took off his sunglasses and rubbed his eyes.

"I had to hustle her out when her thing went sour, because if you drew on her, that'd be the last thing you ever did. She's a real gunslinger. But I still work with her, so I had to try and get the cops off her trail. What we're working on is too important to have her in jail, bullethead or no."

He put his sunglasses back on, and adjusted his sweatband.

"So that's the truth, my man. Weird poo poo is going on here in Hill Valley, and these misfits and I got to stop it. So are you going to help me out? Or hang me out to dry?"

Get What You Want with Truth as leverage or Keep Your Cool +Smooth?

Edit: Alternatively, if my hold from earlier still...holds...can I discern if I need to do anything further to win him over?

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 18, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

QuantumNinja posted:

@Alien Rope Burn: Wanna roll for that?

Sure! Wait, what am I rolling?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Maheswaran

As Delfina and Rocko head off their separate ways and the police begin taking Mary's statement, Dr. M takes a moment to study Jack. Approaching the man, he begins to speak in a hushed, sympathetic tone, "I must apologize for my companion; we overheard your argument with your lady friend, and misread the situation. And now you are between a rock and a hard place, as they say. I do not know exactly how I can help you free yourself of your predicament, but I do know the look of a man in a need of a good, stiff drink. If you're willing to elaborate on your situation and how my friend and I can help you salvage this, I'd be more than happy to pay your tab for the night, to make it up to you."

Rolling to Get What I Want - Dr. M wants to know what Jack's deal is and how those Libyans are involved. Leverage - Dr. M will pay for Jack's drinks for the rest of the night.
Getting What You Want (+Smooth): 2d6+3 10
Picking two - Jack acts immediately, he performs especially well (taking this to mean he gives Dr. M lots of detailed info), and he's rather happy with this arrangement because of Another Satisfied Customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ashe Jones
Heat: 2

"Eh, I'm just rolling around. Trying to find myself. You know, the usual. Thought I'd drop by in town for a while. See the sights. Maybe find some trouble to get involved in."

She shrugged playfully.

"So, Slight, what kind of trouble can a girl find herself in around these parts? Sans the robbery thing from earlier."

• Locked thread